2024 HISTORIC MONACO GP... May 10-12

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2024 HISTORIC MONACO GP... May 10-12

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

14th GRAND PRIX DE MONACO HISTORIQUE (May 10-12, 2024)

Official website. https://acm.mc/en/edition/14th-grand-pr ... of-monaco/

Brilliant weekend of Historic Racing on this weekend..... Glorious cars from 1920's through to the 1980's, all split by category.

Rewind to the glamour of racing's past as the 2024 Historic Monaco Grand Prix takes place this weekend.

The Monaco Historic Grand Prix is a feast for all fans of historic motor racing. A whole long weekend (Fri Sat Sun) of Grand Prix racing with pre-war GP cars and F1 racers from the 1930s to the mid 1980s all on track each day. There's also a race for historic sportscars of the type that raced for the one year that the Monaco Grand Prix was held for sportscars.

Full grids for each category. (Link to entry list below
FULL ENTRY LIST BY CATEGORY https://acm.mc/en/edition/14th-grand-pr ... ent/races/

CATEGORIES

A1 – Prewar Grand Prix Cars and Voiturettes

A2 – Front-engine Grand Prix cars built before 1961

B – Rear-engine, 1500, F1 Grand Prix Cars (1961 – 1965) and F2 (1956 – 1960)

C – Sports Racing cars – front engine (1952 – 1957)

D – F1 Grand Prix cars 3L (1966 – 1972)

E – F1 Grand Prix cars 3L (1973 – 1976)

F – F1 Grand Prix cars 3L (1977 – 1980)

G – F1 Grand Prix cars 3L (1981 – 1985)

Friday Practice
Saturday Qualifying
Sunday Races

FULL TIMETABLE.https://acm.mc/wp-content/uploads/2023/ ... 5-2024.pdf

FREE LIVE STREAM FOR SAT AND SUNDAY

You can set notifications to remind you when it goes live.
(If I can can a live stream for the Friday running I will post it. If anyone else finds one please post it.)

DAY1 SATURDAY

DAY 2 SUNDAY

If anyone else has anything to add go ahead please.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Some special things to look out for....

Adrian Newey racing a Lotus 49b

The man in the news atm, Red Bull‘s chief technology officer Adrian Newey will take a step away the mainline F1 spotlight to run his very own Lotus 49B from 1969 around the streets of Monte Carlo.

He purchased the R8 chassis back in 2014, and when Adrian isn’t designing world title-winning grand prix cars, he often pilots his small piece of F1 history at classic car events. Although the Lotus 49B is considered among the greatest F1 cars ever made — having carried Graham Hill to championship success in 1968 — Newey’s R8 chassis only entered four grands prix, beginning in 1969, and earned no silverware of its own. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see Red Bull’s outgoing genius behind the wheel.

Fancy watching F1 in its golden era, when Niki Lauda stormed to an unlikely victory at the 1982 British Grand Prix at the wheel of a McLaren MP4-1B? Or when Elio de Angelis won in pouring rain at the Österreichring behind the wheel of a Lotus 91?
Well you’re in luck, as both cars will be raced head-to-head in this year’s historic race weekend in Monaco, alongside a Gordon Murray designed Brabham BT49D and the banished Lotus 88.

100 years tribute to the Bugatti Type 35

Although this year’s celebrations will focus primarily around the 100-year anniversary of the Bugatti 35 — launched in 1924 — the Automobile Club de Monaco will also be paying tribute to other motoring achievements which celebrate historic milestones in 2024.

The event will mark 90 years since the launch of the Mercedes W25 — a car which would win successive Monaco GPs in 1935, ‘36 and ‘37 — and 70 years since the W196 was driven to F1 title victory by Juan Manuel Fangio.

The 1964 world title of John Surtees will also be commemorated, as will the short-lived heritage of the Hesketh F1 team which entered the series for the first time in 1974.

Ayrton Senna
Finally, the spotlight will also shine on the immortal talent of Ayrton Senna, as the young Ayrton took a shock podium at the principality in 1984 behind the wheel of an underperforming Toleman amid torrential downpours.

EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago Fancy watching F1 in its golden era, when Niki Lauda stormed to an unlikely victory at the 1982 British Grand Prix at the wheel of a McLaren MP4-1B? Or when Elio de Angelis won in pouring rain at the Österreichring behind the wheel of a Lotus 91?
I know you didn't write this Everso, but why was Niki's win considered unlikely whilst Elio's wasn't? Especially at the Österreichring with a Cossie. Oh I know, it must have been all that pouring rain being the equaliser. Wait, what?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

EB wrote: 1 week ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago Fancy watching F1 in its golden era, when Niki Lauda stormed to an unlikely victory at the 1982 British Grand Prix at the wheel of a McLaren MP4-1B? Or when Elio de Angelis won in pouring rain at the Österreichring behind the wheel of a Lotus 91?
I know you didn't write this Everso, but why was Niki's win considered unlikely whilst Elio's wasn't? Especially at the Österreichring with a Cossie. Oh I know, it must have been all that pouring rain being the equaliser. Wait, what?
Re Lauda's unlikely win they must have been expecting Watson to go back to back after Detroit... he was leading the WDC after all! :suspicious:

Or maybe Keke from pole was the likely winner.... until he stalled at the start of the warm up lap and lined up last.

Or maybe Bernie had got them all so worried about how easy it was going to be for his light fuelled soft tyre shod, no fuel restrictions Brabhams to cruise to a 1-2 thanks to their phantom mid race planned stop to refuel and new tyres. All they needed to do was get to that point. Patrese got about 10 metres in before he was out. The 10 metres he got courtesy of the wack from behind he got from Arnoux after he stalled. (Too much grip from his soft rubber? :idunno: ) Of course Piquet, the only one left from the first three on the grid did waltz off into the distance revelling in his light fuel load and soft tyres.

Bernies plan was working well. Until Piquet ran out of noise from the engine before he even got the chance to do the Bernie and Gordon trick.

At which point Niki suddenly became the only likely winner, and strolled off to probably take one of his less challenged wins.

As for the pouring rain at the Österreichring I think the only thing that fell from the sky when Elio won was Chapman's hat.
The only proper wet JPS Austrian win in that era that I remember was not Elio but Ronnie Peterson in 1978.

The more famous pouring rain at the Osterreichring would have to be Brambilla and the Beta March in 1975.. Other than those two I dont remember any seriously wet Austrian races late 70's / early 80's.

I must admit I was in a hurry when I posted the details, and I just copied what was written on the ACM Historic Monaco website about the entry list. I didnt even think about what was said. Until you mentioned it, and I had a oops moment. :blush:

Anyway .... thanks for pointing it out.

ITS LIVE NOW The 1973 - 1978 era are about to be on track.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Sunday link in case you mised it on the index page in Chat