STAKE F1 TEAM KICK SAUBER

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

D/T 2024-05-03 12:20 (CEST)
Sainz denies turning down 2025 Audi-Sauber move
Another driver announcement is now looming at Audi-owned Sauber - but strong paddock rumours suggest it will not be Carlos Sainz.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/sainz-de ... -move.html

Well, that was always possibility. It is increasingly apparent that Carlos is seeking something what Audi is unable give it to him at the moment.

Is it over then?

This is what Carlos said:
"...not everything depends on me. There are still some things to wait for.

But it's not over between us yet, Sainz added. We are negotiating with different people and considering different options.
Actually in German media it was claimed that Audi deferred deadline on his feedback to mid May just to accommodate his calendar. He might end up making a decision and decline Audi's invitation without having anything firm elsewhere.

Who else is a candidate for joining Audi? I don't know, but someone suggested Alpine drivers...

I want Seb.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

I suspect Audi is Sainz's best option. He is clearly hoping for more, but this is a chance to be a lead driver on a growing team. In the end, a lot of the F1 community do not consider him quite a top-line driver. Obviously, Red Bull did not and Ferrari does not. Unless he is in serious discussion with Mercedes or Aston Martin about a permanent seat and a multi-year contract, he should go to Audi.

Audi does have the option to extend either of the two Sauber drivers for a year. Those drivers I don't think have any other better options.
Last edited by Ruslan 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

VILLENEUVE: VERSTAPPEN SHOULD GO TO AUDI NOT MERCEDES
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/05/03 ... rcedes-f1/

As I've pointed out several times already, RB (IMO) might be in trouble should one or two more key people follow Newey out of the door. If Dr. Pierre Waché could be convinced to join Audi, then yes, I would agree with Jacques. For now, forget that. I can't see it happening.

Dr. Pierre Waché
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Zhou Guanyu

Is this a face of the man in Audi's future? After spectacle in Shanghai, executive brass (and commercial division) might have second thoughts whether kicking Zhou off the team is a such good (business) idea.

Carlos signs - that's great, that's what we want.

Carlos frown's at Audi - no problem. We have a plan B.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2024-05-10 16:56 (CEST)
Audi is not interested in being in F1 simply to make up the numbers.

Audi intends to enter Formula 1 and be "at the very front" of the grid, the Volkswagen-owned German carmaker's CEO Gernot Dollner insists.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/ceo-says ... front.html

Nico revealed he has received more offers than just from Haas and Audi.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 1 week ago D/T 2024-05-10 16:56 (CEST)
Audi is not interested in being in F1 simply to make up the numbers.

Audi intends to enter Formula 1 and be "at the very front" of the grid, the Volkswagen-owned German carmaker's CEO Gernot Dollner insists.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/ceo-says ... front.html

So, Max will have competition?
Fighting talk from Herr Dollner!. Or ideallistic shareholder targeted fluff and PR speak. :idunno: :wink:

I recall others within Audi have been more realistic. A target of 3 years to be near the top was the target of other senior members in Audi. Thats 2028/9 to be somewhere near Victory Lane.

Look at Red Bull.... a very similar situation when they came into F1 as a team in their own name. They took over another team, Jaguar, formerly Stewart. A winning team historically but one that has lost their way as Jaguar.

A bit like Sauber, except Sauber won only as BMW. They scored one podium in year 1, (aided by 10 retirements that day). 2 podiums in year 2. Only year 3 did they achieve some success. They won i race in year 3, their 42 race. ( And that was thanks to Lewis Hamilton running into Raikkonen in pitlane.) BMW had. several years experience in F1 already with their engine partnerships but it took them 3 years to hit the front.

Red Bull similarly. even with the genius of Newey behind them. RB took over Jaguar for 2005. Neweys first car was the RB3 in 2007. They won their first race, their 74th as Red Bull, in 2009. four years until then 7th in the Constructors then 5th and 2nd the year of their first race win. In their 6th year they won the championship.

Even with Newey and big money it was a long haul for Red Bull..

Look at Mercedes. They inherited a championship winning team that used Mercedes own engine, and the key staff (ie Brawn etc) They didnt win a race until their 3rd year, their 53rd race. It was another 20 races until they won a 2nd.

I suspect Audi face the same long haul journey journey. Bear in mind those other teams above all had similar mega budgets to what Audi will have. In fact their budgets were less limited that Audi will have due to those all suffered no budget cap restrictions that Audi will face.

As mentioned I think that Dollner speaks with a forked tongue. Or at least a shareholder pacifying PR focussed tongue.
I wonder if Seidl feels they will be winning in year 1? I doubt it.

Its not like they can have their 2026 car in progress yet, other than the engine. No team can. The regulations for the chassis are not formulated or confirmed yet. No team is allowed to put pencil to paper on their 2026 cars until Jan 1st 2025. Of course I am sure the regs will be finalised prior to that date and the Technical /design guys will be at least getting ideas in their head by then, but no formal design or development chassis work, wind tunnel or CFD work can start until Jan 2025.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Realistically I think Audi wants both drivers rank among top 10 by the end of next year. At least P9 and 10 is fine (in my mind). P19 and 20 not that much. Dr. Gernot Döllner has this view what you should be doing in the F1.

1. Get to the top, and stay there. Nothing more, nothing less.
2. Get out if you have no potential to reach point 1.

Dr. Gernot Döllner
Chairman of the Board of Management and Board of Management Member for Technical Development at AUDI AG
Last edited by Aty 1 week ago, edited 2 times in total.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Nico speaks about relationship with Andreas. Nothing too important or revealing, but as we are in between races, light talk is comforting.
...Hulkenberg insists his compatriot was the driving force behind his contract with the team.
Full article in here:

https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/05/11 ... ugh-seidl/

Union made in heaven? As a stepping stone it feels just right. Nico is 36, most likely in sunset of his career as a racing driver, and now endowed with privilege to drive for Audi in their entry years into the F1.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2024-05-14 11:52 (CEST)

In re: V. Bottas's future with Sauber and beyond.

34-year-old hinted that he is clearly being left out of Sauber's preparations for its works transition to Audi by 2026.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/sauber-a ... hange.html

Well, that cuts down 50% on guessing who will be leaving, but hopefully not retiring.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2024-05-15 08:43 (CEST)

In re: Long interview with Andreas Seidl.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... nPBxM6yJlh

A few words about timing schedule, responsibilities, and general prep for 2026. People, materials, objectives for 2026.

Lee Stevenson from RB moved to Audi. (Verstappen's chief mechanic.) This is actually an old story from end of March.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/267344/b ... acing.html

Overall one can hear about well defined campaign with ambitious targets. I would not be surprised to see Sauber crawling out of the hole they are now in, as decade of former underinvestment (after BMW left the series) still reverberates. Finn Rausing (now ex owner) gets credit for pumping in a lot of money, but more is needed, and Audi has taken care of it. Work continues, but they will be ready for 2026, says boss.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Sauber changed approach to selection of a partner to Nicolas Hülkenberg.

- the management removed all deadlines (for all drivers under consideration, not just Sainz)
- preference for non-confrontational negotiations
Bravi told El Mundo Deportivo newspaper in Imola when asked if a new deadline exists. "I don't think any of the other drivers have a time limit either. "We are all talking, trying to understand. There are several possibilities for these top drivers, but it is a dialogue, not a confrontation between team and driver.

We don't want to be a second choice. We want to be 'the' choice...
Grandprix.com
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Aty wrote: 15 hours ago Sauber changed approach to selection of a partner to Nicolas Hülkenberg.

der consideration, not just Sainz)
Bravi told El Mundo Deportivo newspaper in Imola when asked if a new deadline exists. "I don't think any of the other drivers have a time limit either. "We are all talking, trying to understand. There are several possibilities for these top drivers, but it is a dialogue, not a confrontation between team and driver.

Bravi needs a reality check for 2025. The car for 2025 isnt going to be an attractive choice to anyone of note, let alone THE choice. 2026 is an unknown but offers more hope.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 14 hours ago
Aty wrote: 15 hours ago Sauber changed approach to selection of a partner to Nicolas Hülkenberg.

der consideration, not just Sainz)

Bravi needs a reality check for 2025. The car for 2025 isnt going to be an attractive choice to anyone of note, let alone THE choice. 2026 is an unknown but offers more hope.
True, but he needs to say that. There is no point for him to throw his hands into air, and yell, there is no point trying, we are all doomed, regardless whether he actually believes his own projections. Years of underinvestment (after BMW has left the series) is biting them at the back.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

For sure.... his job is to make the team appear as attractive as possible. They all do it. I think maybe he should be pushing the longer term opportunity over the short term. But with limited opportunities in better teams I guess there is always hope. Especially given the unrealistic positioning of Antionelli by Mr Wolff.

At least Bravi has now taken away the deadlines. I think he has realised that for a short deadline you need to be a more strongly positioned team

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Sauber is continuing with upgrading facilities at Hinwil. They aren't finish, so ABB is somewhat restricted by remnants and limitations of the past underinvestment.