F1 2024 STUFF NOT WORTHY OF ITS OWN THREAD

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 month ago Re the size and tank like proportions of F1, I found this category by category size comparison interesting. We have seen loads of stuff on F1 size changes over the years but never current (ish) category variations.

I must admit I was surprised at the fact LMP are so much more compact than F1 given they have even more all wheel drive, hybrid and electrical stuff to carry for longer distances plus all the H&S crap that goes with the 21st century. Having said that Im not sure how the new Hypercar category of WEC compare to the previous LMP1.

Just goes to show bigger isnt always better.

Interesting. How far can an LMP1 car go on a tank of fuel? 20 laps of LeMans? If so, that's just short (272km) of the 300km the F1 cars do.
The Indy cars are closer in fuel tank size to the older F1 cars as they refuel often during a race.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

It is 10 years since hybrids striked in 2014.

How do we like it today?

I was checking how people on this forum rated the first race of the season. Four rated the race at 2/10. Stats unfortunately don't tell whether they were in pain for race duration (1:31 [hrs]), or they quit watching quite early into the race.

Is there anyway to compare similar stats from 2014? I wanted to see whether people vote for a driver or something else. I wasn't on this forum, but I would have voted -1 if that choice was available. Infuriated by nonsensical regulations, yet I watched all races in full duration. I think it's different now. Not perfect, but watchable for my own liking. (Regulations remain moronic.)
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Aty wrote: 1 month ago It is 10 years since hybrids striked in 2014.

How do we like it today?

I was checking how people on this forum rated the first race of the season. Four rated the race at 2/10. Stats unfortunately don't tell whether they were in pain for race duration (1:31 [hrs]), or they quit watching quite early into the race.

Is there anyway to compare similar stats from 2014? I wanted to see whether people vote for a driver or something else. I wasn't on this forum, but I would have voted -1 if that choice was available. Infuriated by nonsensical regulations, yet I watched all races in full duration. I think it's different now. Not perfect, but watchable for my own liking. (Regulations remain moronic.)
2014 Australian GP got all 6s and 7s. viewtopic.php?p=258119&hilit=rate+the+g ... gp#p258119

2014 season got rated mostly 7s. viewtopic.php?p=265788&hilit=rate+the+g ... gp#p265788

Can't find a ratings thread for Bahrain 2014.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 month ago

How do we like it today?

2014 Australian GP got all 6s and 7s. viewtopic.php?p=258119&hilit=rate+the+g ... gp#p258119

2014 season got rated mostly 7s. viewtopic.php?p=265788&hilit=rate+the+g ... gp#p265788

I should be probably careful with conjecture that on an Anglo - forum Hamilton was probably more popular than Max is today.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

FiA is negotiating with Turkey whether return to racing will be possible. So, this will be race #25, or something else will be tossed? I am not against having some tracks on rotation, but abslutely NO to government subsidies. If they find people with deep pockets and willing to pay, that's fine, but that should be also all what owners get.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Aty wrote: 1 month ago
MonteCristo wrote: 1 month ago

How do we like it today?

I should be probably careful with conjecture that on an Anglo - forum Hamilton was probably more popular than Max is today.
I wasn't here in 2014 either, but Hamilton didn't have much love beyond Brits themselves. And even many of them were tired of the sooking he's always done.

In any case, 2014 was only his second title. He wasn't stale bread at the time.

A better comparison might be Bahrain 2016 (albeit a Nico title win - Bahrain race got mostly 7s and 6s: viewtopic.php?p=284887&hilit=bahrain+2016+rate#p284887 and Australia as round 1 got overwhelmingly 7s: viewtopic.php?t=13980). Or 2017 which he did win again for his 4th title (Bahrain overwhelmingly got 7s viewtopic.php?t=14827, and Australia as round 1 got mostly 5s, a few 6s and 7s: viewtopic.php?t=14758&start=15)

Fast forward to 2020 and Lewis's last year of winning (and dominance), and the first round in Australia got a tonne of 8s (viewtopic.php?t=16691) while Bahrain got mostly 5s and a few 4s and 6s (viewtopic.php?t=16873)

2022 was the start of Max's true dominance, and in that year Bahrain as the first race mainly got 7s, with a smattering of 8s and 6s. viewtopic.php?p=423319#p423319

Not sure if @PTRACER has some magic poll tool that can average out all of the poll results from the years (for races and seasons). I certainly can't be bothered to go back and add them all up. But my gut feel is that there's an overall downwards trajectory, while people still acknowledge a good race when they see one.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

How do we like it today?

It still has the original problems I had with it back then, namely the regulation are too strict in terms of architecture and possible solutions. I maybe even worse with the highly limited numbers of components per season these days, but that is something that isn't really a fault of the hybrid regulations. You could say I got used to the engine regs, but it's more that I stopped caring.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

@MonteCristo I calculated these at the time. I have 2022 on my HDD at home but quite a few years are missing.

This is an average of the Rate the Race threads only, are we all just grumps?

2011 - 5.3/10
2015 - 5.3/10
2017 - 5.3/10
2018 - 5.26/10
2019 - 5.39/10
2021 - 6.25 /10
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

PTRACER wrote: 1 month ago @MonteCristo I calculated these at the time. I have 2022 on my HDD at home but quite a few years are missing.

2011 - 5.3/10
2015 - 5.3/10
2017 - 5.3/10
2018 - 5.26/10
2019 - 5.39/10
2021 - 6.25 /10
Funny how 2021 (probably the closest contest to a title in many, many years) was only 1 point higher than the previous years. I would expect it to be higher as, from my perspective, that year gave us some very intense and interesting battles.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

XcraigX wrote: 1 month ago
PTRACER wrote: 1 month ago @MonteCristo I calculated these at the time. I have 2022 on my HDD at home but quite a few years are missing.

2011 - 5.3/10
2015 - 5.3/10
2017 - 5.3/10
2018 - 5.26/10
2019 - 5.39/10
2021 - 6.25 /10
Funny how 2021 (probably the closest contest to a title in many, many years) was only 1 point higher than the previous years. I would expect it to be higher as, from my perspective, that year gave us some very intense and interesting battles.
I know I rated some races low that were objectively "interesting" in 2021, but they are part of the current era of many bogus red flags and safety cars. So from a sporting sense they were a complete crock that I didn't enjoy.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

2011 - 5.3/10
2015 - 5.3/10
2017 - 5.3/10
2018 - 5.26/10
2019 - 5.39/10
2021 - 6.25 /10
That's just an average of all the races. Only 9 of them got a 7/10 or more. The "Rate the season" thread got an average of 7.62/10.

You can read more about it here:
https://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/all-2021 ... es-ranked/
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Ferrari stolen from F1 driver Gerhard Berger recovered 28 years later

The wheels of justice may move painfully slowly compared with the speed of Formula One, but Scotland Yard has recovered a special edition Ferrari belonging to the racing driver Gerhard Berger 28 years after it went missing.

The red F512M Testarossa, worth £350,000, was stolen in Imola, Italy, in 1995 as crowds gathered for a grand prix.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ears-later

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

2011 - 5.3/10
2015 - 5.3/10
2017 - 5.3/10
2018 - 5.26/10
2019 - 5.39/10
2021 - 6.25 /10
How soon we forget... 2021 was the season when (nearly) all the races were 'orchestrated' to result in a one-lap shoot-out for the title.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has teased that certain European races will be rotated on the calendar from 2026 onwards.

Spa Francorchamps, Monaco, Imola and Zandvoort all have contracts with F1 that expire at the end of the 2025 season.
Teased? Really? Dome never teases. He is merely letting us down gently about what was already probably decided.

It seem that continental Europe is not important to Liberty media. In my mind for them to show up here ever second year as fly-by-night circus is best way how the F1 becomes progressively irrelevant to about 700+ mill people of Europe.

So, what's alernative?

Perhaps correlating pricing schedule proportionally to cost of living is another way how to co-exist and tolerate each other.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has teased that certain European races will be rotated on the calendar from 2026 onwards.

Spa Francorchamps, Monaco, Imola and Zandvoort all have contracts with F1 that expire at the end of the 2025 season.
Teased? Really? Dome never teases. He is merely letting us down gently about what was already probably decided.

It seem that continental Europe is not important to Liberty media. In my mind for them to show up here ever second year as fly-by-night circus is best way how the F1 becomes progressively irrelevant to about 700+ mill people of Europe.

So, what's alernative?

Perhaps correlating pricing schedule proportionally to cost of living is another way how to co-exist and tolerate each other.
There will be a dozen Middle Eastern GPs, and 10 in the US..... The other Euro traditional venues like Silverstone Monza Spa and others like Australia and Suzuka will get to run a GP every 6th year. By then the spectator or fan will be a thing of the past.... all the Grandstands and General Admission areas will be dedicated to VIP areas and Corporate zones.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 month ago

So, what's alernative?

There will be a dozen Middle Eastern GPs, and 10 in the US..... The other Euro traditional venues like Silverstone Monza Spa and others like Australia and Suzuka will get to run a GP every 6th year. By then the spectator or fan will be a thing of the past.... all the Grandstands and General Admission areas will be dedicated to VIP areas and Corporate zones.
This kind of architecture presents challenge to the race track owners. They need cash to maintain racing facilities, and probably pay interest on money initially invested. They will need to sell seats year by year. Potential low return on the subsidary events may drive some into a debt. It will be complicated with earmarks of pretty hefty mess.