Computer Virus Goes Out Of Control - 9 million infected PCs

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Computer Virus Goes Out Of Control - 9 million infected PCs

Post by PTRACER »

I don't know where the virus comes from in the first place, but make sure you have the following patch installed for protection (select your operating system from the list):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... 8-067.mspx
A computer virus attacking Microsoft Windows has infected almost nine million machines and is spreading faster than ever before.

Windows users are being urged to step up security to beat the worm

Experts say the worm has "skyrocketed" in recent days.

It is sweeping through thousands of offices in the UK and has affected computers at the Ministry of Defence.

The virus - known variously as Conficker, Kido or Downadup - burrows deep into the operating system and tricks the machine into running the infected program.

Once the worm is running on the computer it automatically starts to download more malicious programs from hackers' websites, with devastating effects.

The majority of computers infected by the worm, which was first identified in October, are in Russia, China, Brazil and India. But the virus is now taking hold in the UK.

The worm has password cracking capabilities, often successful because company passwords sometimes match a predefined password list that it carries.

Eddy Willems, a security analyst with anti-virus firm Kaspersky Labs, said that a new strain of the worm was now causing additional problems.

Computer users are advised to ensure their anti-virus software, operating system and firewall is up to date, and that they have installed a Microsoft patch designed to combat the problem.

Experts have also warned the virus could spread by copying itself to USB memory sticks shared between computers, and urged users to use caution.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
crazydude1992
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by crazydude1992 »

Maybe that explains why my mp3 player about two weeks ago would get stuck on the main screen for 30 minutes before it got fixed.
Barre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Barre »

Thx for the heads up Paul.
"We're here for a good time – not for a long time. So you better make the most of it." Colin McRae
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

it was at the news here the whole day. I still don't know how the virus infects the pcs.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Sounds like Kaspersky Labs are a bit short on their sales figures.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Kaspersky launched a managed service last year that has fallen way short of their expectations. However they have excellent AV software, one of the best in the industry, and their people are some of the brightest and most influential. Their software is used by a number of other service providers in complement to the artificial intelligence engines these providers use. All these press releases from AV companies are purely just "my cock is bigger than yours" statement, as each seems to claim they caught a particular virus before the other. The truth however, is somewhat different.
WilliamsF1

Post by WilliamsF1 »

Thanks for the info Paul - have just updated the OS now :thumbsup:
There is no such thing as a risk, when you don't have EVERYTHING you want
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Thanks for this info, PT. Updating the Anti-Virus now.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Thanks for the heads up Paul..... just a question I have re SP3....

I have never actually installed the SP3 'upgrade' following two friends with the same OS (XP Pro, version 2002, SP2) who installed the SP3 update (some months ago) and their computers were basically unable to connect to internet plus other probs immediately after. I cant recall the exact error message but recall they were internet/network related. Both computers are as mine just Home Office use PC's. A sort of 'It aint broke so dont fix it' attitude I have.

The only way they were able to get internet connectivity was to 'system restore' back to pre the SP3 installation. As soon as they did that their computers were fine again.

I heard a lot of people moaning of SP3 issues so never bothered to install it despite regular reminders from Auto updates. I had just recovered from an issue which left me without a computer for a month and so was loathe to jump into more problems.

Should I install SP3? Have all the issues been resolved? Im not the most computer savvy bloke in the world, especially with networks etc., so be nice.

Re this update I went to the link, tried to install the XP SP2 patch, and that link comes up as a totally blank page, no error message just blank. (Tried it with IE and Firefox, same story.)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
drmchsraj

Post by drmchsraj »

new schmew...wth...i lived with that virus on my pc for like half an year..i was just smart enough to thwart it's efforts to accesst the net. :-)

jk. so what does devastating effects mean? i saw the virus on a work pc today and i thought it was just another one... norton/symantec caught it!

"that link comes up as a totally blank page, no error message just blank. (Tried it with I" welcome to the madness lol! idk if its the same virus but i had it on my pc since november... u need to do a clean format, as it replaces svchost.exe and such other files. it might NOT be ProRAT. winlogon.exe tries to connect to irc.prolahblahgalaxy.nl or some place. if u let it connect (if u have a firewall it'll ask u), then ur going to be sharing ur pc with tons of malware!
There is no Try. Only Do.