Superleague Formula

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

many italian drivers in this superleague formula.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Doornbos tops first Superleague test

By Steven English Thursday, August 7th 2008, 10:01 GMT

Robert Doornbos topped the first day of Superleague Formula testing for AC Milan at Vallelunga yesterday, as eight of the 16 cars currently signed up took to the track.

The Dutchman is looking forward to the opening round of the new series at Donington Park on August 30-31 and expects it to catch the imagination of both motorsport and football fans.

"You know that the cars are all equal, there is no difference," he said. "Everybody has the same gearbox, engine, tyres - it's really hard work to go quicker than somebody else in this type of car, so I think it will be a really spectacular series. The sound is amazing, the fans will love it."

The top three cars at Vallelunga yesterday were separated by just quarter of a second at the end of the day's running, with Doornbos edging out Davide Rigon of German club Borussia Dortmund and Alessandro Pier Guidi of Turkish side Galatasaray.

The Scuderia Playteam outfit is running both the Milan and Galatasaray cars, with Zakspeed opertaing the Dortmund entry.

Fisichella Motor Sport's AS Roma car was fourth quickest, with Enrico Toccacelo behind the wheel, ahead of the Team Astromega Flamengo (Brazil) and Anderlecht (Belgium) cars with Giacomo Ricci and Kasper Anderson on board.

Daniel la Rosa and Max Wissel completed the timesheet for GU Racing's Olympiacos (Greece) and FC Basel (Switzerland) cars respectively.

The test at Vallelunga continues today and tomorrow, with Dubai-based GP2 racer Andi Zuber set for Al Ain of the United Arab Emirates, and former GP2 racers Borja Garcia and Yelmer Buurman ready to drive for Spanish side Sevilla, and Dutch club PSV Eindhoven.

The other teams to have signed up for the inaugural season are Tottenham Hotspur, Glasgow Rangers, FC Porto, Corinthians, and Beijing Guoan.

Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Robert Doornbos AC Milan 1:23.754
2. Davide Rigon Borussia Dortmund 1:23.965 +0.211
3. Alessander Pier Guidi Galatasaray 1:24.012 +0.258
4. Enrico Toccacelo AS Roma 1:24.372 +0.618
5. Giacomo Ricci Flamengo 1:24.445 +0.691
6. Kasper Anderson Anderlecht 1:25.521 +1.767
7. Daniel la Rosa Olympiacos 1:26.482 +2.728
8. Max Wissel FC Basel 1:27.753 +3.999
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

Only 4 teams to be confirmed now. Things seem to be moving on quite fast now. Still worried about no confirmed TV coverage in the UK. I'm hoping Eurosport, Sky or Motors get the rights to them but I fear it will be on Channel 5 in the middle of the night.
gd49

Post by gd49 »

Super Aguri wrote:Only 4 teams to be confirmed now. Things seem to be moving on quite fast now. Still worried about no confirmed TV coverage in the UK. I'm hoping Eurosport, Sky or Motors get the rights to them but I fear it will be on Channel 5 in the middle of the night.
Someone over on digitalspy with access to far in advance TV listings says there's highlights listed on Eurosport 2 a few days after. Apparently the organisers want terrestial coverage, so guess it will be middle of the night job.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

As far as live coverage in the UK goes, there's still Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 and Xtra if Eurosport 1, Eurosport 2 or MotorsTV can't televise it live.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
HC

Post by HC »

I would expect some coverage from Italy. They are quite fanatical with some of their motorcycle coverage and their F1 coverage (especially their Italian 125cc/250cc). I think some important football clubs from that country are involved so it would not come as a surprise if they pick up coverage.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

The first British driver is announced
Autosport.com wrote:Dalziel signs up for Superleague

By Steven English Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 08:59 GMT

Former Champ Car racer Ryan Dalziel will driver the Glasgow Rangers car in the unaugural Superleague Formula season, beginning at Donington Park next month.

The 26-year-old Scot was due to continue in Champ Car this season but lost out when his Pacific Coast Motorsport team did not enter the reunified IndyCar Series. He has instead been competing in Grand-Am in America so far this year and is excited to be returning to single-seater racing in Europe.

"I'm delighted to have been selected to represent Rangers having grown up in and around Glasgow," he said. "It's been seven years since I last raced at Donington, which seems hard to believe.

"I'm excited to be a Scottish driver racing for a Scottish club, it means a lot and I hope the fans really get behind our efforts.

Rangers were the first British team to commit to the Superleague, which uses 750bhp V12-powered cars, and have since been followed by Tottenham Hotspur, joining the 14 other teams so far confirmed for the six-round championship.

The series will hold two pre-season tests at Donington on August 21 and 28, ahead of the first round of the season on August 30-31.
kart99
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kart99 »

Dont really know what to make of that. I dont really rate him a as a driver, I feel there are better Scottish drivers out there. However, we will see how he goes.
HC

Post by HC »

Another late entry, the grid is almost full.
Liverpool FC join Superleague

By Steven English Friday, August 15th 2008, 11:36 GMT

Liverpool are the latest football club to confirm their entry to the new Superleague Formula, which kicks off at Donington Park in two weeks time.

The five-time European Cup winners are the 17th team to sign up for the new series, following fellow Premier League team Tottentham Hotspur and Scottish side Glasgow Rangers, as well as some of the clubs from around the world including AC Milan, AS Roma, Sevilla and FC Porto.

The series is expected to confirm three more teams, with a grid of 20 750bhp V8 cars lining up in their respective clubs' colours for the season opener at Donington on August 30-31.

Liverpool have not yet confirmed their driver, but will unveil their car in the city late next week after the group test at Donington on Thursday.

"This provides an interesting new dimension for Liverpool fans to support their team in a different way and in a different sport," said the club's commercial director Ian Ayre. "The opening race at Donington is a great chance for our UK-based fans to see the car in action and the plans to grow the series will reach out to our fanbase globally.

"We're always keen to develop our range of commercial partners and working with Superleague Formula gives us an excellent opportunity to do that."

Superleague president Alex Andreu is confident that the addition of one of the most famous teams in world football will help to boost the profile of the new series.

"As a global sports brand, Liverpool is one of the biggest names in the world," he said. "Donington is only a couple of hours from Liverpool and we're really looking forward to hearing fans break into You'll Never Walk Alone at a motorsport event. (luckily I don't have to listen to that shit when 20 V8's come roaring by, fuck yeah!)

"Our dream for the championship is becoming a reality, our first race is only a matter of weeks away and all the hard work of our team is paying off.

"We're delighted to welcome Liverpool as our latest club and we look forward to announcing our final teams on the grid very soon."

Source: Autosport
It seems to be all about the football fans but what about us. I have almost zero interest in football, I only support PSV because I live close to it and that's it. How will I know which team is from where. At the A1GP the driver is from the same country but that's not the case here. For example our Dutch driver Robert Doornbos will drive for AC Milan which is Italian I think. As far as I know there will only be highlights which is a shame really. But hopefully there will be some items that introduce the motorsport fan to the teams and for which football team they compete.
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

Setanta Sports have grabbed the rights to the live action in the UK with British Eurosport doing 1 hour highlights 2 days after the event. - A rumour on a couple of forums in the last 2-3 days.
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

Setanta Sports 2 11:30 - 12:00
Live: Superleague Formula Donington

Live race one of the new Superleague Formula series gets under way at Donington Park featuring cars wearing the colours of some of the world's most famous football clubs

Setanta Sports 2 13:30 - 15:00
Live: Superleague Formula Donington

Live race two of the new Superleague Formula series gets under way at Donington Park featuring cars wearing the colours of some of the world's most famous football clubs

Seems to be too small a slot for Race One? I think it must be joining in the race half way through or something.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Well im cheering for anybody thats not Liverpool.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

And 90% of us won't be watching because we don't have Setanta and no way are we paying for it.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

The people on what is a very good forum have such stupid, biased and close minded views. There arent going to be hooligans at the tracks, its not going to be football fans going. And people will care if the racing is good.

Look at A1GP, im sure people said "A Motorsport version of Footballs World Cup? Who cares" and look how good A1 is.

Ignore the word football and you would all be gagging for it and desperate for the start. But because you hate that Football is more important Worldwide than F1, you despise it.

Its kind of like disliking kids in the playground because they like The Simpsons and you like the less famous Family Guy.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Is that in reply to what I said?

I was commenting on how so few of us have Setanta, therefore won't/can't watch the races live.

OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

I think Edwin has just gone through the whole thread for the first time. Look at page 2, especially at what Cheeveer says. :wink: