The 'Questions That Don't Warrant Their Own Thread' Thread

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

To better reward race winners over point scorers. Six second places equalled four wins, but not when only four scores counted. The division in two halves was made earlier, in 1967 iirc. I guess the reasoning was to encourage teams to enter all the races, and not to cherry pick events.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Yes, the split season format was in force from 1967-80, but in terms of how few results actually counted, 1979 in particular does seem an anomaly.

In every other season with an odd number of races, the first half was the longer "half". If that had applied in 1979 then, all other things being equal (which of course you can't really assume!), then GV would have been world champion! But I accept that's almost as silly as declaring that Andretti would have been the "Bernie medal system" champ in 1977!
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

The reason for the 1979 oddity is really that there were 16 races on the original schedule, but the Swedish GP was cancelled pretty late in the day. It was supposed to be the eighth race, and the last one of the first half season.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Indeed - I just wish we knew the answer to the oddity that was originally asked about!

Edit - though re-reading your post from earlier it seems to be only the split season reasoning you are guessing at, rather than why only the best 4 scores from each half counted.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

White six wrote: 4 years ago What was the reasoning behind the F1 points system in 1979? Only 8 scores counted, 4 from the first 7 races and 4 from the last 8.

I always imagined that the restricted scores was to compensate for the high number of cars failing in those days, but no idea why it was restricted across the season too
You do realise that the WDC was from 1950 was always based on dropped scores, with often only the best 50% of scores counting. (ie 1951 was only the best 4 scores from 8 races.) They started splitting the season with dropped scores from each half of the season back in 1967 :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago
White six wrote: 4 years ago What was the reasoning behind the F1 points system in 1979? Only 8 scores counted, 4 from the first 7 races and 4 from the last 8.

I always imagined that the restricted scores was to compensate for the high number of cars failing in those days, but no idea why it was restricted across the season too
You do realise that the WDC was from 1950 was always based on dropped scores, with often only the best 50% of scores counting. (ie 1951 was only the best 4 scores from 8 races.) They started splitting the season with dropped scores from each half of the season back in 1967 :wink:
The question was why? And not really about the dropped scores, but the split
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Michael Ferner wrote: 4 years ago To better reward race winners over point scorers. Six second places equalled four wins, but not when only four scores counted. The division in two halves was made earlier, in 1967 iirc. I guess the reasoning was to encourage teams to enter all the races, and not to cherry pick events.
Thanks, sounds reasonable. I wondered if it was designed to help teams that were consistent and smooth out the effect of the fast developments of the era, but given it was a historic thing I think you're probably right. I'm amused that Ligier started totally dominant and ended up being lapped by Zandvoort
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Can anyone else remember someone who got sued by their sponsor for damaging their image?
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

How trivial is this?

Which Monaco GP had the biggest waves? (at the tunnel exit very occasionally waves could be seen breaking over the rocks beside the harbour wall)

I think it was a 90s race ...
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

acerogers58 wrote: 4 years ago Can anyone else remember someone who got sued by their sponsor for damaging their image?
I'm sorry. I really am. But that sounds so... American :huh: :huh:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

hollie3sa wrote: 3 years ago
acerogers58 wrote: 4 years ago Can anyone else remember someone who got sued by their sponsor for damaging their image?
I'm sorry. I really am. But that sounds so... American :huh: :huh:
And that night's telecast ended like this (like they all do :P):
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

White six wrote: 3 years ago How trivial is this?

Which Monaco GP had the biggest waves? (at the tunnel exit very occasionally waves could be seen breaking over the rocks beside the harbour wall)

I think it was a 90s race ...
IIRC the pile up at Tabac back in the 50s was caused by a big breaker reaching the track. Freak event if there ever was one, given that the corner is all the way in the harbor.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Here's one. When did we first start to get on first-name terms with F1 drivers?

When I was young, it was Hakkinen, Frentzen, Hill, Schumi (unless it was the other one, in which case it would always be RALF Schumacher). Nowadays it's Lewis this, George that, Charlie this, Carlos that. When and WHY?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

You'd have to ask English speaking media and British/American social norms that, but that is not the case within Swedish motorsport broadcasting. Except for Swedish drivers, who are often on friendly terms with the journos.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago Here's one. When did we first start to get on first-name terms with F1 drivers?

When I was young, it was Hakkinen, Frentzen, Hill, Schumi (unless it was the other one, in which case it would always be RALF Schumacher). Nowadays it's Lewis this, George that, Charlie this, Carlos that. When and WHY?
Looks like another buddy-buddy culture thing but I have to say Croft's banter style has worn me out some time ago. I wouldn't mind if he gets replaced sometime soon alas that's unlikely to happen. At least Brundle tries to stay objective more times than not and keeps it real. Hell, even Button corrected Croft on the Tsunoda 11th place finish streak due to Sainz's 5 seconds penalty. I won't even mention Kravitz blabbering about Perez scoring points in Suzuka despite him being too many laps down to be classified hence he would never score any points there. It feels like some of these commentators have sat on the laurels for too long and lost the neccessary sharpness.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Vassago wrote: 6 months ago
PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago Here's one. When did we first start to get on first-name terms with F1 drivers?

Looks like another buddy-buddy culture thing but I have to say Croft's banter style has worn me out some time ago. I wouldn't mind if he gets replaced sometime soon alas that's unlikely to happen. At least Brundle tries to stay objective more times than not and keeps it real. Hell, even Button corrected Croft on the Tsunoda 11th place finish streak due to Sainz's 5 seconds penalty. I won't even mention Kravitz blabbering about Perez scoring points in Suzuka despite him being too many laps down to be classified hence he would never score any points there. It feels like some of these commentators have sat on the laurels for too long and lost the neccessary sharpness.
Yep, same thing with Ted - it's jokes 'n stuffing around.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion