The 'Questions That Don't Warrant Their Own Thread' Thread

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Vassago wrote: 6 months ago
PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago Here's one. When did we first start to get on first-name terms with F1 drivers?

When I was young, it was Hakkinen, Frentzen, Hill, Schumi (unless it was the other one, in which case it would always be RALF Schumacher). Nowadays it's Lewis this, George that, Charlie this, Carlos that. When and WHY?
Looks like another buddy-buddy culture thing but I have to say Croft's banter style has worn me out some time ago. I wouldn't mind if he gets replaced sometime soon alas that's unlikely to happen. At least Brundle tries to stay objective more times than not and keeps it real. Hell, even Button corrected Croft on the Tsunoda 11th place finish streak due to Sainz's 5 seconds penalty. I won't even mention Kravitz blabbering about Perez scoring points in Suzuka despite him being too many laps down to be classified hence he would never score any points there. It feels like some of these commentators have sat on the laurels for too long and lost the neccessary sharpness.
Yep, same thing with Ted - it's jokes 'n stuffing around.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago Here's one. When did we first start to get on first-name terms with F1 drivers?

When I was young, it was Hakkinen, Frentzen, Hill, Schumi (unless it was the other one, in which case it would always be RALF Schumacher). Nowadays it's Lewis this, George that, Charlie this, Carlos that. When and WHY?
Looks like another buddy-buddy culture thing but I have to say Croft's banter style has worn me out some time ago. I wouldn't mind if he gets replaced sometime soon alas that's unlikely to happen. At least Brundle tries to stay objective more times than not and keeps it real. Hell, even Button corrected Croft on the Tsunoda 11th place finish streak due to Sainz's 5 seconds penalty. I won't even mention Kravitz blabbering about Perez scoring points in Suzuka despite him being too many laps down to be classified hence he would never score any points there. It feels like some of these commentators have sat on the laurels for too long and lost the neccessary sharpness.
Nothing wrong with Ted Kravitz in my opinion. I can barely squeeze out one post per Grand Prix weekend lately yet he can talk about a boring race for hours in a lot of detail.

Agree about Crofty, but name someone else who could do it better who isn't already dead.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

My problem with Kravitz is he still takes every opportunity to shit on Max's 2021 title and make it clear he thinks it should have been Lewis' title. Which it shouldn't, because Max was the better driver.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago

Nothing wrong with Ted Kravitz in my opinion. I can barely squeeze out one post per Grand Prix weekend lately yet he can talk about a boring race for hours in a lot of detail.

Agree about Crofty, but name someone else who could do it better who isn't already dead.
I'd take Ben Edwards over Croft any day :tongue: I suppose it's a problem with UK TV where it's notoriously difficult to replace veteran personel like Croft unless someone doesn't fit straight from the start like Legard. I had nothing against Croft for a long while but now I'm just tired of his style and could use a new voice at Sky. I used to watch F1 on German channels for over 15 years so it's not like I'm tied to English coverage and I can always fall back to Polish TV as well. The Polish F1 fanbase used to be so small pre-Kubica days that I personally know our leading F1 expert commentator :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...