Drivers with odd Day jobs (celebrities who raced)

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago Image
In recent years, Michael Fassbender has tried his luck in Endurance Racing, he made his Le Mans 24 Hours debut in 2022.
For the record, Fassbender came 16th in the GTE-Am Class and 51st outright, out of 53 finishers.
Last edited by Nononsensecapeesh 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton Banks in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) contested the now-defunct Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race at Long Beach several times. He was the Celeb Winner in 1994, 1995 and 2016 and the Pro Winner in 2015 and was the overall Champion each time.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Now here's an obscure one, Theodore Herbert "Teddy" Tetzlaff, set the original land speed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1914. Also starred in several motor racing-themed silent films, notably The Speed Kings in 1913, not to mention contesting the first four Indy 500 races with a best result of 2nd in 1912.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

@Everso Biggyballies might want to elaborate on that but ATCC mainstay in the 1990s John Trimbole was basically running the Daily Planet brothel business which also served as primary sponsor for his cars. It's hilarious since I originally thought Daily Planet was some local newspaper in Australia but obviously got my mind crossed with the DC Comics thing :tongue: Otherwise he came from a crime family and yeah, I've heard about the Underbelly TV series which features the character of his uncle as mob boss.

John Trimbole passed away in March at the age of 75.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Planet_(brothel)

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/former-dail ... sses-away/
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Vassago wrote: 1 year ago @Everso Biggyballies might want to elaborate on that but ATCC mainstay in the 1990s John Trimbole was basically running the Daily Planet brothel business which also served as primary sponsor for his cars. It's hilarious since I originally thought Daily Planet was some local newspaper in Australia but obviously got my mind crossed with the DC Comics thing :tongue: Otherwise he came from a crime family and yeah, I've heard about the Underbelly TV series which features the character of his uncle as mob boss.

John most certainly was head of the Brothel called the Daily Planet. It was not only the largest.(legal) brothel in Aus but was a very up market establishment and not that seedy. All fully legal and licensed. In fact my best mates sister-in-law used to be one of the Madames there (the ladies that greeted the clients at the doorway and 'booked' them in, took them through to see the ladies available etc). Through her I know of Grand Prix drivers that used the services of the DP during the Albert Park GP. It was only about 3 or 4 klms from the track. I actually had Xmas lunch this year with her and her sister's families!

I also know when Blink 182 were on tour here many yars ago they promoted 'the Planet' in interviews and stuff

John Trimble (he actually changed his name to Trimble to distance himself from the underworld connotations of the Trimbole name) died of Prostate Cancer. (Note Trimble name on the car below).

Andrew Harris who would often co drive with Trimble was I believe actually the CEO of theDaily Planet (Trimble the founder and Chairman) A bit of assumption on my part there as I know the name of Andrew Harris as being the CEO of DP and an Andrew Harris ran Bathurst in a DP liveries car with Trimble, but maybe there are two Andrew Harris. Andrew Harris had been in Supercars prior.

John Trimle's son Michael (also became a Trimble) also followed him into the business and V8 and general motor racing.
When the Daily Planet building was sold about 5 years ago ( It closed its doors as a brothel and I think the business branched into strip bars). Platinum Platinum (which was the Group fCorporate name ) became the first sex industry business to list on the Australia Stock Exchange
Ironically the Daily Planet building is now a Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centre called "Planet Wellbeing". The building sold for "$$ several million"

Some interesting pics of the interior of the Daily Planet building from when it went of sale:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... dd9abce7b6

I know that there were bankruptcy proceedings against Trimble 3 years ago, but not sure how it transpired. It was over a $100,000 claim from a former employee . Im sure Trimble had more than that tucked away. This article also tells of some of the Trimbole stuff.
https://lennonlawyers.com.au/wp-content ... r-mail.pdf

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

@Everso Biggyballies Thx for the details. I believe this is the same Andrew Harris so it was one driver. He competed full-time in 1984 ATCC season (the last of Group C era) as Warren Cullen's teammate in Commodore previously used by Larry Perkins in the endurace championship. I can imagine some of the better funded teams simply sold the soon-to-be irregular cars to random privateers rather than store them in shops. Harris then entered the last round of 1992 season at Oran Park with Daily Planet sponsorship which happened to be the last round of the Group A era so I suppose this wasn't a coincidence either - just roll out the expiring machinery for one last go.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Vassago wrote: 1 year ago @Everso Biggyballies Thx for the details. I believe this is the same Andrew Harris so it was one driver. He competed full-time in 1984 ATCC season (the last of Group C era) as Warren Cullen's teammate in Commodore previously used by Larry Perkins in the endurace championship. I can imagine some of the better funded teams simply sold the soon-to-be irregular cars to random privateers rather than store them in shops. Harris then entered the last round of 1992 season at Oran Park with Daily Planet sponsorship which happened to be the last round of the Group A era so I suppose this wasn't a coincidence either - just roll out the expiring machinery for one last go.
Thanks for the details on that .... fair swap! :haha: :thumbsup:

As an aside / a bit of miscellaneous trivia, when Dick Johnson destroyed his car in qualy at Forest Elbow, at the 1983 Bathurst, Andrew Harris was entered in a Ford but some sort of deal was done whereby Harris gave his car to DJR for them to use the DJR mechanicals in the Harris (ex Bob Morris) car. Harris was happy to allow Dick to use the car in a wonderful gesture that, after an all-nighter swapping engines etc and a livery change to Dicks Greens Tuf colours, saw Dick and Bartlett line up for Sundays start. Somehow someone else came up with another car for Harris to take the start in. Without checking I think it was a Commodore that Harris actually ended up running..

Edit: I just found a video explaining the deal . Part of it is an interview with Harris at Bathurst that year. Nice story anyway.

Ironically Dick DNFd in what was the Harris car (Albeit with Dicks mechanicals in it), and Harris finished top 10 in the Commodore loaned to him :haha: Fair reward for what was a great gesture by Harris.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago Now here's an obscure one, Theodore Herbert "Teddy" Tetzlaff, set the original land speed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1914. Also starred in several motor racing-themed silent films, notably The Speed Kings in 1913, not to mention contesting the first four Indy 500 races with a best result of 2nd in 1912.
Strangely enough that record was never officially recognised although Tetzlaff set a speed faster than the LSR at the time. No reasons given just not officially recognised.
The use of the salt flats as a speedway began in 1914 with Teddy Tetzlaff's run there which exceeded the land speed record, although the new record was not officially recognised.
https://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/land ... ville.html

Found this elsewhere which seems to imply it was only a one way run.... LSR runs have to be an average of two runs in opposite directions for wind assist equality.
With an Indianapolis 500 veteran, Teddy Tetzlaff, piloting, the car narrowly beat the existing mark in a one-way run on a mile-long course, though no official record was acknowledged.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/auto ... tting.html

Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago Now here's an obscure one, Theodore Herbert "Teddy" Tetzlaff, set the original land speed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1914. Also starred in several motor racing-themed silent films, notably The Speed Kings in 1913, not to mention contesting the first four Indy 500 races with a best result of 2nd in 1912.
Strangely enough that record was never officially recognised although Tetzlaff set a speed faster than the LSR at the time. No reasons given just not officially recognised.
The use of the salt flats as a speedway began in 1914 with Teddy Tetzlaff's run there which exceeded the land speed record, although the new record was not officially recognised.
https://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/land ... ville.html

Found this elsewhere which seems to imply it was only a one way run.... LSR runs have to be an average of two runs in opposite directions for wind assist equality.
With an Indianapolis 500 veteran, Teddy Tetzlaff, piloting, the car narrowly beat the existing mark in a one-way run on a mile-long course, though no official record was acknowledged.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/28/auto ... tting.html
Must have got my facts a bit mixed up.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Vassago wrote: 1 year ago @Everso Biggyballies might want to elaborate on that but ATCC mainstay in the 1990s John Trimbole was basically running the Daily Planet brothel business which also served as primary sponsor for his cars. It's hilarious since I originally thought Daily Planet was some local newspaper in Australia but obviously got my mind crossed with the DC Comics thing :tongue: Otherwise he came from a crime family and yeah, I've heard about the Underbelly TV series which features the character of his uncle as mob boss.

John most certainly was head of the Brothel called the Daily Planet. It was not only the largest.(legal) brothel in Aus but was a very up market establishment and not that seedy. All fully legal and licensed. In fact my best mates sister-in-law used to be one of the Madames there (the ladies that greeted the clients at the doorway and 'booked' them in, took them through to see the ladies available etc). Through her I know of Grand Prix drivers that used the services of the DP during the Albert Park GP. It was only about 3 or 4 klms from the track. I actually had Xmas lunch this year with her and her sister's families!

I also know when Blink 182 were on tour here many yars ago they promoted 'the Planet' in interviews and stuff

John Trimble (he actually changed his name to Trimble to distance himself from the underworld connotations of the Trimbole name) died of Prostate Cancer. (Note Trimble name on the car below).

Andrew Harris who would often co drive with Trimble was I believe actually the CEO of theDaily Planet (Trimble the founder and Chairman) A bit of assumption on my part there as I know the name of Andrew Harris as being the CEO of DP and an Andrew Harris ran Bathurst in a DP liveries car with Trimble, but maybe there are two Andrew Harris. Andrew Harris had been in Supercars prior.

John Trimle's son Michael (also became a Trimble) also followed him into the business and V8 and general motor racing.
When the Daily Planet building was sold about 5 years ago ( It closed its doors as a brothel and I think the business branched into strip bars). Platinum Platinum (which was the Group fCorporate name ) became the first sex industry business to list on the Australia Stock Exchange
Ironically the Daily Planet building is now a Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centre called "Planet Wellbeing". The building sold for "$$ several million"

Some interesting pics of the interior of the Daily Planet building from when it went of sale:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... dd9abce7b6

I know that there were bankruptcy proceedings against Trimble 3 years ago, but not sure how it transpired. It was over a $100,000 claim from a former employee . Im sure Trimble had more than that tucked away. This article also tells of some of the Trimbole stuff.
https://lennonlawyers.com.au/wp-content ... r-mail.pdf
@Vassago. This will make you laugh as a final twist in the Daily Planet story.... I mentioned previously (in red above) that the Daily Planet building had been sold to a new owner who set up a D&A Rehab Centre called Planet Wellbeing.

I discovered by chance that Planet Wellbeing has since been involved in controversy and a bit of a legal problem..... It seems the Police raided the premises and discovered "an alleged meth lab in the basement" :haha: This was in 2019.

When the Wellbeing Planet opened its doors as a drug rehabilitation clinic in I think 2018, nearby residents were invited in to take a look — and were stunned to find little had changed other than the name from its Daily Planet life.
"I remember thinking this is not a rehabilitation centre," one neighbour who walked through the facility on the day said.

"It was still decked out as a brothel. It had a large entertaining room with a bar, billiard tables, gaming machines and paintings of naked women on the walls.
"Every room we went into had multiple beds, group showers, mirrors on the walls and on the ceilings above the beds.

"There is no access to daylight, no windows, no general amenity that you might want in a facility like that. The exact opposite in fact."
Full story here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-10/ ... b/11784252

Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Former Major League Baseball Star CJ Wilson.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Wow, I thought that was Daniel Ricciardo's new ride! (With Valtieri Bottas as co?)
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Not a celeb as such but he is a knight of the realm and the current Baronet of Chasefield, Sir Harry Nuttall raced from 1989 to 1997, peaking with driving an Ecurie Ecosse Vauxhall Cavalier in the 1993 British Touring Car Championship. His best result was 6th at Pembrey.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

This is Ajith Kumar, an Indian actor, racing in the 2010 FIA Formula 2 Championship.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ex-footballer Luther Blissett has raced Alfa Romeos in recent years.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Walter Cronkite was secretly into Motor Racing. He competed in the 1959 Petit Le Mans, coming 3rd and winning his class and later finished 40th overall in that year's Sebring 12 Hours, only a crash in that year's American International Rally forced him to give up racing.