Anyone want a South Korean GP? Sorry, we're getting one...

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Anyone want a South Korean GP? Sorry, we're getting one...

Post by PTRACER »

Maybe they can top it off by getting Tilke to design the circuit and replace Spa with it. :P
South Korea has reached an agreement with Formula One Management to host a Grand Prix from 2010, autosport.com can reveal.

The Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO) - a joint-venture between the Jeollanam-do province government and official F1 promoter company M-Bridge Holdings - will hold the signing ceremony in ten days in Seoul.

The ceremony and following press conference, scheduled for October 2 - the day after the Chinese Grand Prix - will be attended by F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and his wife Slavica, and Renault F1 CEO Flavio Briatore.

South Korea has been on Ecclestone's radar for a decade now, with the Briton wishing to expand Formula One's reach to new markets and globalise the sport even more.

Ecclestone struck a deal in 1996 whereby the Sepoong circuit would have the exclusive rights to hold Grand Prix races in South Korea from 1998 to 2002.

However, a race site was never developed and subsequently Ecclestone won a court case against the Sepoong Engineering Construction company, which saw it pay FOM £7.5 million (UKP) despite not staging a race.

But now, with government support and a new company in place, KAVO officials are confident a South Korean Grand Prix will become a reality - subject to FIA approval of the track and facilities, once construction is completed.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
aerogi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by aerogi »

another 'get up way too early on a sunday morning' Grand Prix... :roll:
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/aerogi/index ... rum=aerogi , the 2nd best motorsport forum of the world! :)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

aerogi wrote:another 'get up way too early on a sunday morning' Grand Prix... :roll:
For you maybe! For us over at this end its another one during the day..... although schedules for China suggests our local broadcaster is delaying the broadcast 8 hours or so just to keep our middle of the night time slot, on account of we are used to it and it doesnt disrupt routine. Go figure. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

Do they even have a track yet? I bet we get another "stadium track". Great just what we need another no character oversized go kart track.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

strad wrote:Do they even have a track yet? I bet we get another "stadium track". Great just what we need another no character oversized go kart track.
No track, just a site..... With the number of GP's now capped at 18 per year until 2012 or some future date (at the big team boss/FIA meeting this past week) this means we now have all the Eastern block countries (Russia, Bulgaria, Poland etc after a GP, Suzuka, Imola, (which is in effect supposedly back on for next year with government funding promised to bring the track up to scratch), not to mention Korea and Singapore (who put their hand up during last weeks launch of their national A1GP team) and of course Cancun in Mexico, South Africa then we have a bit of a feaseability problem with existing contracts and venues.....

25 venues into 18 races wont go, unless some GP's become bi-annual events. This plays into dangerous zones as the funding for these projects is based on income from an annual GP.......

BleedingGums

Post by BleedingGums »

This is getting a tad ridiculous! :angry:

They ought to bite the bullet, chuck out the agreement, expand the calendar to 20 races and just drop off the cicuits F1 has out grown. I'm all for a new track, provided it's built in the Turkey mould. They crap on about changing car reg's, tyres etc. But how about they just give us circuits suited to F1 racing... :annoyed:

There, I feel better now... :rolleyes:
The blues isn't about making yourself feel better, it's about making other people feel worse.
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

We ought to have a longer season with thought to northern and southern hemisphere halves of the season...heck there is ALWAYS somewhere where it's summer. Since all they care about is money I can't see where they fight it,,,more races means more money...I know I know,,the poor lads get tired and don't like being gone so much,....Bah,,check out some of the other series seasons...pampered poodles...
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
CevertAngel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One.
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari (Present) and Tyrell (Past)
Favourite Driver: Francois Cevert (Past) and Kimi.
Favourite Circuit: Monza,Monaco and Spa.
Car(s) Currently Owned: 1987 Ferrari Testa Rossa. 1968 Impa
Location: In Francois Cevert Heaven.Sharing a Cloud with Francois and Uncle Ken.

Post by CevertAngel »

PTRACER wrote:Maybe they can top it off by getting Tilke to design the circuit and replace Spa with it. :P
South Korea has reached an agreement with Formula One Management to host a Grand Prix from 2010, autosport.com can reveal.

The Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO) - a joint-venture between the Jeollanam-do province government and official F1 promoter company M-Bridge Holdings - will hold the signing ceremony in ten days in Seoul.

The ceremony and following press conference, scheduled for October 2 - the day after the Chinese Grand Prix - will be attended by F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and his wife Slavica, and Renault F1 CEO Flavio Briatore.

South Korea has been on Ecclestone's radar for a decade now, with the Briton wishing to expand Formula One's reach to new markets and globalise the sport even more.

Ecclestone struck a deal in 1996 whereby the Sepoong circuit would have the exclusive rights to hold Grand Prix races in South Korea from 1998 to 2002.

However, a race site was never developed and subsequently Ecclestone won a court case against the Sepoong Engineering Construction company, which saw it pay FOM £7.5 million (UKP) despite not staging a race.

But now, with government support and a new company in place, KAVO officials are confident a South Korean Grand Prix will become a reality - subject to FIA approval of the track and facilities, once construction is completed.
This is going to be interesting........... I wish they'd just fix Spa........ :sorrow:
Always One Of Great Brilliance on the Track and Great Kindness Of It... - Francois Cevert (1944-1973) .... Loved and Missed Always,
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

There will 100% be a South Korean GP in 2010.
The event will be held at the tentatively named "Korean International Circuit", which will be Korea's largest track exclusively for cars and motorcycles, with a 5.450km layout to be constructed under the guidance of J-Project.

The track has been designed by Hermann Tilke, and will be divided into a permanent part and a temporary part, which will go through a city.
Fucking Hermann Tilke :evil: :evil: :evil:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MinardiFan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MinardiFan »

PTRACER wrote:There will 100% be a South Korean GP in 2010.
The event will be held at the tentatively named "Korean International Circuit", which will be Korea's largest track exclusively for cars and motorcycles, with a 5.450km layout to be constructed under the guidance of J-Project.

The track has been designed by Hermann Tilke, and will be divided into a permanent part and a temporary part, which will go through a city.
Fucking Hermann Tilke :evil: :evil: :evil:
:haha: Amazing, whenever a new track appears on the calendar, it turns out to be a Tilke one... is he the only track designer in the world, or what?

To his credit, the races in Bahrain, Turkey and China were all pretty good this year, and it's not his fault that the locations of these new tracks are completely boring.
Anyway, I don't like this trend to replace old circuits by these new ones...
I've had great races in the past, but I'm looking for the best one in the future. - Ayrton Senna
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Well this one has now been confirmed as on the calender for 2010. Bernie Ecclestone flew off to South Korea after the Chinese Grand Prix and on Monday was in Seoul to sign a seven-year contract for there to be a Formula 1 Grand Prix at the planned "Korean International Circuit" in the south western province of South Cholla. If all goes to plan the first South Korean GP race should be in 2010......... The deal includes a five-year option to extend the event until 2021.

With teams and the FIA having agreed to establish 18 races as the minimum/maximum number of events for the annual calender, fixed until 2012, this means that one more of our existing GP's will be set for the chop to allow for the race to be included.
:angry: :wink:

Aggressor
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Aggressor »

First of all i just want to say that the GP in China sucked. I do not like Tilke´s tracks. They are all the same with just some small modifications. I defenetly dont want to see another Tilke-track on the calender. Just look what he did to Hockenheim, its one of the most boring tracks now. Ok, Turky have provided with some good racing, but that is thanks to turn 8 i belive. :angry:

If every turn is safe and without risks, then any idiot can start racing F1-cars. Now dont get me wrong, i dont want to see drivers or marshalls getting hurt. But if you cant stay on the track then atleast the car should pay a prize. The quality of the drivers will turn out for the worse. Remember the old days, when every turn could be your last?? Now, back then racing produced some great quality drivers. Without any risks, the sport is gone. F1 have not just ever been of who is the first guy over the finish-line, but also about the way drivers race and control their cars on the track.

Give us more tracks like Spa and the old Hockenheim.
:thumbsup:
"Don´t worry about me. I could shake hands with you right now and it wouldn´t hurt."

-------Greg Moore, Fontana October 31, 1999-------