Zanardi planning on testing an F1 car this year

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Zanardi planning on testing an F1 car this year

Post by PTRACER »

It's cool, but I don't think he could ever get a full-time drive. It's not the hand controls that are the worry, but the fact that their rules say (as far as I remember) that a driver must be able to undo his belts, take of the wheel, jump out and put the wheel back on in under 15 seconds (or was it 7 seconds?). Zanardi obviously wouldn't be able to do that.
Autosport wrote:Former Grand Prix driver Alessandro Zanardi is hoping to make his return to the Formula One cockpit with BMW-Sauber later this year for the first time since he lost his legs in a Champ Car accident.

Zanardi, who currently competes for BMW in the World Touring Car Championship, had been previously linked with a test for Williams but those plans fell through after he and the team could not find a suitable date.

However, speaking to Sportautomoto, Zanardi has said that he now plans to get a run with BMW-Sauber before the end of the year.

Speaking about his chance with Williams, he said: "It's true, it was (co-owner) Patrick Head making the offer, but other commitments made us neglect this one.

"At the end of the year I will definitely do a test with the BMW F1 car. As long as I manage to get inside it."

Zanardi lost his legs in a crash at the Lausitzring in September 2001.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

PT.

Surely, this is some sort of fantasy and not in the least to be taken seriously. A PR man gone wild?
Miles to go B4 I sleep
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

of course Zanardi will never race again in F1.
I read the news on internet some days ago and I'm very happy. I've been fan of Zanna since 1996, he's great. His will to live is incredible.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I agree that this more to drive an F1 car than to Test one, which implies going as fast as possible to impress someone. Zanardi has no need to impress anyone and as Toni says he is such a huge inspiration to other amputees, by showing that where there is a will there is a way and to never give up your dreams.

He and Niki Lauda to me are a testament of courage and never say die attitude, having come back from their respective near death experiences. I shed a tear, or certainly had the big lump in my throat when he won the Touring Car race last year.

Thinking about it (and the current thread here on heroes) he is probably Alex is as close to a modern day motor racing hero as you can get. :thumbsup: :wink: :flag:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

When I said test, I meant just to drive one :oops: I wonder how they're going to sort out the hand controls?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote:When I said test, I meant just to drive one :oops: I wonder how they're going to sort out the hand controls?
Im sure they will look at it as a bit of a 'Hands On' project! :tongue: :haha: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
mercedes5CLR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mercedes5CLR »

I would like to see him get be hind the wheel again. But i dont think he will ever get a chance at a F1 ride again. But i think he his a hero to alot of people me included. :happy:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

PTRACER wrote:When I said test, I meant just to drive one :oops: I wonder how they're going to sort out the hand controls?
It's just a matter of buttons. You're talking about the most electronic car in the world
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts