The VIP only Grand Prix

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Hamster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The VIP only Grand Prix

Post by Hamster »

Pitpass wrote:Over the course of the Barcelona weekend it was reported elsewhere that serious consideration is being given to the possibility of a Mediterranean Grand Prix, which would alternate between a number of circuits eager to join, or rejoin, the Formula One calendar, including Valencia and Paul Ricard.

The purchase and development of the nearby Hôtel du Castellet means that Paul Ricard has almost everything in place to make it not only a superb test track, but also a great race track. Everything that is, except grandstands.

Under CEO Philippe Gurdjian, and as part of the massive redevelopment plan, the grandstands,have long since been removed.

However, the facilities are in place to provide corporate guests with "an unforgettable 100% Formula One experience". Indeed, according to the people at Paul Ricard, the "Panoramic VIP Club is the greatest Public Relation mean (sic) available."

Consequently, Gurdjian is now suggesting that a "VIP Grand Prix" could take place at Paul Ricard with just a couple of thousand invited guests. The race would take place behind closed doors, though the public would probably get to see the event courtesy of TV.

Bernie Ecclestone has never made any secret of the fact that the people who pack the grandstands are of no interest to him, even though it is their ticket money that allows the (struggling) circuit owners to meet his ever increasing financial demands.

The people that Bernie wants to see at races are the rich and famous, the powerful and the beautiful. This, according to Bernie is the ideal face of F1, not the flag waving, burger-munching plebs that fill the stands.

The idea that anyone, even Bernie, could even consider - for the briefest of moments - hosting an event merely for a special few is preposterous, and could turn out to be one of the single most damaging events in the sport's history.

Such an event, though delighting a couple of thousand people who couldn't give a toss about Formula One, would be the worst possible PR move, even worse than last year's Indianapolis debacle, and the sport would thoroughly deserve the backlash.
Although its just a crazy rumor at the mo, I wouldn't bet the house against Bernie not doing something along the lines of it...

Incidentally it would be awesome to have Paul Ricard back as a GP though, mush more so than boring old Magny-Cours. The track has something like 200-odd different configurations I think, you could have a slightly different corse each year. Plus the straight, that straight....
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I don't think there's any problem. The way I see it is that modern Grand Prix racing is boring to watch on TV. Just to sit there at the same corner or the same straight for a whole race watching them whizz by does nothing for me. I say let them have it if they want it.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
The_Stig
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by The_Stig »

F1 has always been a top class sport I can see where Bernie is coming from about keeping it away from the bogans that are the reason the v8sc's have revers grid races now.
(\__/)
( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and
(")_(") paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.