Whatever happened to James Hunt's career?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Whatever happened to James Hunt's career?

Post by PTRACER »

Looking at the way he was from the start of his F1 career up to his world championship year of 1976, you'd expect James Hunt's career to have continued on a high - but it didn't. :?

Was he held at McLaren in 1977 and 1978 for contractual reasons, or did he just want to stay with the team thinking they'd be World Championship contenders? The 1977 McLaren wasn't bad, but the 1978 car was bordering on terrible. Were there any negotiations with other teams during this time, like Ferrari or even Lotus?

And why did he end up in a Wolf in 1979? I think that really killed his F1 career off.

I think he'd have definitely gone on to win a lot more races. I'm not sure about further World Championships, but I don't see why he couldn't have done.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
aerogi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by aerogi »

I don't know about this stay at Mc Laren in 1977 and 1978, but why would you leave a winning team?

And the Wolf story, I think it was simply a money issue, he god a very 'nice' contract IIRC.

And also James Hunt had a sorta 'George Best' way of living style, so that also probably had something to do with his downhill career.
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/aerogi/index ... rum=aerogi , the 2nd best motorsport forum of the world! :)
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

aerogi wrote:I don't know about this stay at Mc Laren in 1977 and 1978, but why would you leave a winning team?
I'd have thought that after 1977, it was apparent that McLaren was no longer a front-running team...but I suppose he had no reason to have no faith in the team for 1978.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

James was one of the last playboy superstars...James never took himself or his career too seriously and was a very sad loss to all who enjoyed his joy for life.
I'll have to check and see if I still have this interview on tape where he discusses his career.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I read somewhere that James had said that by the end of the '78 season with McLaren's much-hyped M26 turning out so disappointing, he was beginning to lose interest in driving racing cars more and more and the '79 stint in the Wolf was the final nail.. along with his good friend Lauda's (brief)departure from racing that basically sealed his decision. Looking back, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing because otherwise we'd have never had the legendary Walker and Hunt commentary partnership that is still regarded as the best duo to sit in a commentary booth ever by many.

Sandeep
flyinsii
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by flyinsii »

Personally I think that when Ronnie Peterson was killed that was also the beginning of the end for hunt, I really must get his autobiography as I loved his attitude to life in general and have always been interested in him.
Primal Scream Know What I Mean
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

flyinsii wrote:Personally I think that when Ronnie Peterson was killed that was also the beginning of the end for hunt, I really must get his autobiography as I loved his attitude to life in general and have always been interested in him.
Didn't people blame him for it? Hunt was heroic on that day...got straight in there, apparently bent the steering wheel with his own hands, and pulled Ronnie free.

flyinsii
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by flyinsii »

PTRACER wrote:
Didn't people blame him for it? Hunt was heroic on that day...got straight in there, apparently bent the steering wheel with his own hands, and pulled Ronnie free.
found here : http://www.research-racing.de/RonniePeterson3.htm
Formula One is a business of high interdependence, both technological and economical. Peterson´s death produced a chain reaction of individual fates never to be seen before.

There was Riccardo Patrese, from the very beginning of his career in 1977 connected with the reputation of extreme regardlessness, who was considered guilty of having caused the catastrophe of Monza. But this time the Italian only was the scapegoat really, because when, many months later, the pictures taken out of the helicopter had been evaluated, it became clear, that James Hunt was the origin of the mass collision. In the moment of the accident Hunt became aware of this fact suddenly, he pulled Peterson out of the burning wreck of the Lotus, was rewarded a gold medal by the Royal Swedish Automobil Club, but the real facts of the case he hid. Meanwhile a lot of dirt was thrown onto Patrese by the press and his driver collegues did the same way. The stigma of being a killer should remain for Patrese until the end of his career.

James Hunt had never been able to get over Monza 1978. In fact he switched to the Wolf team for the following year, but more and more he went into depressions. After the Grand Prix of Monaco 1979 he retired from active competition, a decision he suddenly wanted to revise some days later, because under strict secrecy he expressed his wish to buy one of the that time very successful Ligier Ford JS11, but the French team refused his offer. Later Hunt became also a very popular star, when entering the BBC as a television commentator, but this sensitive and complicated personality with all his problems fell by the wayside. James Simon Wallis Hunt died in the night to the 19th June 1992 at the age of only 45 years, poor and very, very lonely.
Primal Scream Know What I Mean
Catwalk.Imp
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Catwalk.Imp »

flyinsii wrote:...but this sensitive and complicated personality with all his problems fell by the wayside. James Simon Wallis Hunt died in the night to the 19th June 1992 at the age of only 45 years, poor and very, very lonely.
Does anyone know, why he suffered this Heart-Attack... :dunno:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

About his heart attack it seems that many glissed on it, and it's really difficult to find sources about the "cause".

Hunt wasn't blamed for Monza 1978 simply cause he (and his good fellow Lauda) blamed Patrese for that accident; Hunt never liked Patrese.

Hunt never had a contact for Ferrari and I guess he went back to Wolf because there was Postelwaithe who redesigned the 731 when he was at the Hesketh
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Catwalk.Imp wrote:
flyinsii wrote:...but this sensitive and complicated personality with all his problems fell by the wayside. James Simon Wallis Hunt died in the night to the 19th June 1992 at the age of only 45 years, poor and very, very lonely.
Does anyone know, why he suffered this Heart-Attack... :dunno:
It was supposed to be due to all that smoking and drinking he did throughout his life...

Catwalk.Imp
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Catwalk.Imp »

Oh, thanks... :|
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

BTW...I have a 45 minute 186 Mb video on him, that is interwoven with an interesting interview...IF anybody is interested.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Is that the one where that one reporter among others, talks about how their 'interview' turned into something much more enjoyable? :twisted:
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

Is that the one where that one reporter among others, talks about how their 'interview' turned into something much more enjoyable?
Don't reacall that..It's a look at his climb to F1 and the championship with an interview with Nigel Roebuck mixed in...not by me..by the producers.