MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Good luck!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Good luck!
Thanks! I'll be stuck in the Honda, they use some kind of purchasing system where you need to 'earn' faster cars by driving slow ones and getting good results. The Honda is not particularly nimble, but given the alternatives of BRM and Cooper it seems to be the better choice :thumbsup:

Let's hope I don't get stuck in a hedge for this one.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Qualified 8th, finished 7th. Didn't realise this league had the current top, top drivers like Robert Fleurke in the field. Couldn't keep up in my fat Honda!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

Hope you enjoyed the race :).
The Honda sounds faster than it is, but I still kinda like it. It gives great satisfaction when you drag a decent result out of it.

Perhaps we can set up a little online race for the forum's GPL'ers somewhere this year.
We had the offline hotlap challenge a few years ago, that was fun.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

ReneLotus wrote: 3 years ago Hope you enjoyed the race :).
The Honda sounds faster than it is, but I still kinda like it. It gives great satisfaction when you drag a decent result out of it.

Perhaps we can set up a little online race for the forum's GPL'ers somewhere this year.
We had the offline hotlap challenge a few years ago, that was fun.
I really did, even though I didn't see another car for much of the race :rofl: The Honda seemed like a good choice because it has the power, unlike the Cooper.

The field was incredibly competitive though. The top 3 in qualifying were in the 1'18s and separated by 0.03s. Everyone ahead of me bar Fleurke were in Brabhams or Ferraris, so I was really proud to be just behind them. And great to race against @Manfred Cubenoggin finally too!

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I'm guessing you were racing in oAo going by the time and day you raced. :)

I remember Fleurke. He was my teammate in the ESCORS (NR2003 not GPL) league from 2006-07. He was one of the quickest guys there too. Not Towler or Hackmann fast on a consistent basis but definitely could run with them at certain tracks. Nice to see he's still getting it done.

oAo has been around forever! I used to run oAo for a couple of seasons too, even won a medal in their D2 in 2006. :smiley:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 3 years ago I'm guessing you were racing in oAo going by the time and day you raced. :)

I remember Fleurke. He was my teammate in the ESCORS (NR2003 not GPL) league from 2006-07. He was one of the quickest guys there too. Not Towler or Hackmann fast on a consistent basis but definitely could run with them at certain tracks. Nice to see he's still getting it done.

oAo has been around forever! I used to run oAo for a couple of seasons too, even won a medal in their D2 in 2006. :smiley:

That's great that you got to race in oAo. The guy behind it all, Bo Bruce (@Bo_Bruce), passed away unexpectedly the other day. The whole league is really devastated by this.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
Mr_Ferrari wrote: 3 years ago I'm guessing you were racing in oAo going by the time and day you raced. :)

That's great that you got to race in oAo. The guy behind it all, Bo Bruce (@Bo_Bruce), passed away unexpectedly the other day. The whole league is really devastated by this.
Yea, very sad news, for sure. I've known him since the mid-2005s and we'd occasionally chat about life and racing. He always came off as a genuinely good guy. Bo poured his heart and soul into oAo. The meticulousness of the league's website put a lot of professional sites to shame. He was very affable and understandable that everyone who knew him are genuinely grieved about losing a friend.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I have spent most of this year working on a new 1967 mod for Grand Prix Legends.

Physics are at an advanced stage of completion and I have taken a little break to work on graphical changes, like this new Lotus 49 cockpit:

Original:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago I have spent most of this year working on a new 1967 mod for Grand Prix Legends.

Physics are at an advanced stage of completion and I have taken a little break to work on graphical changes, like this new Lotus 49 cockpit:

Original:

Looks good but can I be really picky / pedantic....mentioned with my lacking the knowledge of whether the rev-counter etc change with the revs in the game, so maybe I am being picky over nothing.
Anyway in normal use on track the red tell tale on the rev-counter would not be at 1800revs whilst on track. It would be higher than that just warming up in the paddock, let alone out on track.. Basically the tell-tale marks the max revs the engine has hit, and will remain at the highest revs the rev counter hit between reset. Just hit the reset button before you go out each session. The early DFV's had a max revs of 9000rpm, (9.500 for the 2nd series, 11000 by 1977)) so the tell-tale would be near enough that. (unless a missed gear change or something had caused it to over rev.).

Nowadays with telemetry you dont need a tell tale, you know the exact revs at any moment.... pre telemetery the tell tale was what would indicate if you had over revved the engine, and by how much ie wrong gear ratios or in the case of a big spike you had missed a gear. Depending on how high the spike was they would know whether they had to replace valve springs or whatever rev sensitive parts may have stretched or broken as a result.

Just mentioning it in the chase for the realism you want. If indeed the rev counter does move in the game, just remember the red tell tale line will be at the maximum revs the rev counter has hit for whatever reason.

And yes the tell tale reset button is on the back of the rev counter, out of reach of the belted in driver, so if he had over revved he cant just reset it before returning to the its like nothing had happened. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Looks good but can I be really picky / pedantic....mentioned with my lacking the knowledge of whether the rev-counter etc change with the revs in the game, so maybe I am being picky over nothing.
Anyway in normal use on track the red tell tale on the rev-counter would not be at 1800revs whilst on track. It would be higher than that just warming up in the paddock, let alone out on track.. Basically the tell-tale marks the max revs the engine has hit, and will remain at the highest revs the rev counter hit between reset. Just hit the reset button before you go out each session. The early DFV's had a max revs of 9000rpm, (9.500 for the 2nd series, 11000 by 1977)) so the tell-tale would be near enough that. (unless a missed gear change or something had caused it to over rev.).

Nowadays with telemetry you dont need a tell tale, you know the exact revs at any moment.... pre telemetery the tell tale was what would indicate if you had over revved the engine, and by how much ie wrong gear ratios or in the case of a big spike you had missed a gear. Depending on how high the spike was they would know whether they had to replace valve springs or whatever rev sensitive parts may have stretched or broken as a result.

Just mentioning it in the chase for the realism you want. If indeed the rev counter does move in the game, just remember the red tell tale line will be at the maximum revs the rev counter has hit for whatever reason.

And yes the tell tale reset button is on the back of the rev counter, out of reach of the belted in driver, so if he had over revved he cant just reset it before returning to the its like nothing had happened. :wink:
The rev counter works fine, I just revved the engine a little before taking a screenshot. I calibrated each gauge for complete accuracy, so the revs of the car match the graphic. The 1967 DFV had a rev limiter which limited it to 9200rpm, but the limiter did not work with accuracy. You can also reset the telltale in-game, interesting to know there was a button on the real tach :)

Btw, when it comes to oil and water temp, what do you think is the maximum before you start to do damage? When I ran the Sparton, 80C was the recommended water temp, but could run somewhere towards 90C when run hard I guess. Didn't have oil temp gauge, only oil pressure.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

The rev counter works fine, I just revved the engine a little before taking a screenshot. I calibrated each gauge for complete accuracy, so the revs of the car match the graphic. The 1967 DFV had a rev limiter which limited it to 9200rpm, but the limiter did not work with accuracy. You can also reset the telltale in-game, interesting to know there was a button on the real tach :)

Btw, when it comes to oil and water temp, what do you think is the maximum before you start to do damage? When I ran the Sparton, 80C was the recommended water temp, but could run somewhere towards 90C when run hard I guess. Didn't have oil temp gauge, only oil pressure.
Oil pressure on a DFV should be 40-60 lbs/sq inch.
Oil temperature should be 90-100 degrees centigrade
Water temperature as you say 80-90C .... in some parts of the engine it will be hotter, but as far as the gauge is concerned above 90C is close to boiling.
Fuel pressure would be 120psi. (Needs minimum 95PSI to start it.

You might find this useful for DFV things although some might be relevant to later models. ( I noticed it mentions a 10,400 rev limit)
Done by Aussie Peter Brennan who I know, and he knows his DFVs and race engines.. He has owned and run DFV engined stuff (including an ex Patrese Arrows A1)
https://primotipo.com/tag/ford-cosworth ... 20her%20up.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago

Oil pressure on a DFV should be 40-60 lbs/sq inch.
Oil temperature should be 90-100 degrees centigrade
Water temperature as you say 80-90C .... in some parts of the engine it will be hotter, but as far as the gauge is concerned above 90C is close to boiling.
Fuel pressure would be 120psi. (Needs minimum 95PSI to start it.

You might find this useful for DFV things although some might be relevant to later models. ( I noticed it mentions a 10,400 rev limit)
Done by Aussie Peter Brennan who I know, and he knows his DFVs and race engines.. He has owned and run DFV engined stuff (including an ex Patrese Arrows A1)
https://primotipo.com/tag/ford-cosworth ... 20her%20up.
That's interesting info. Default GPL fuel pressure is 79 PSI for all cars. Engine damage occurs at 100C for water and 115C for oil. I have read that in reality, modern, good quality oils can handle up to 120C but maybe the types of oils they used in the 60s could not...

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

That's interesting info. Default GPL fuel pressure is 79 PSI for all cars. Engine damage occurs at 100C for water and 115C for oil. I have read that in reality, modern, good quality oils can handle up to 120C but maybe the types of oils they used in the 60s could not...
Yeah with oils now being mainly synthetic their viscosity is more consistent and higher temps can be tolerated.. Back then competition oils would have generally been mineral based, and certainly the viscosity would be affected at high temps.... the oil would become too thin and the coating on surfaces would break down causing engine damage.

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago I have spent most of this year working on a new 1967 mod for Grand Prix Legends.

Since you got some insight in the way the GPL physics engine works maybe you have an answer for me. I've often wondered if the track_altitude parameter from the track.ini appears somewhere in the runtime. I know it has no functionality in vanilla GPL but if its in the simulation and gets read from the file according to the track, its a question if the engine HP can be adjusted on the fly to try and implement elevation affected engine output. After all HP as a function of altitude is just a multiplication by a factor in most cases.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago

Since you got some insight in the way the GPL physics engine works maybe you have an answer for me. I've often wondered if the track_altitude parameter from the track.ini appears somewhere in the runtime. I know it has no functionality in vanilla GPL but if its in the simulation and gets read from the file according to the track, its a question if the engine HP can be adjusted on the fly to try and implement elevation affected engine output. After all HP as a function of altitude is just a multiplication by a factor in most cases.
Technically yes, with an additional bit of code. The issue would be that it is too "easy" to just edit the track.ini file and cheat.

I haven't worked on the Kyalami or Mexico sets yet, but I already calculated separate horsepower figures for these to account for the altitude differences so they can be hardcoded. I'll have to see at a later stage if it is worth adding.