Shawn 'Fast' Lane

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Shawn 'Fast' Lane

Post by Warren »

Now that the forum has a new name, I thought it would be fitting to have a thread dedicated to the origional Fast Lane. I've been searching through my stacks of guitar mags, looking for anything at all about Shawn. Sadly, he's in the category of "Best Guitarist You've Never Heard of" and often overlooked by the main stream media. Below are some scans that will help you get to know this master musician. If anyone is interested, I've got nearly 7 gigs of his music, both album releases and bootlegs. Shawn was a strong advocate of sharing music, so I know he wouldn't at all mind, if he were still here among us.

http://www.shawnlane.com/

This first one comes from the "Sounding Board" section of Guitar World Magazine, 1991.
I think a road trip is in order, here. The "Almighty" deserves a punch on the nose!

From the September 1992 issue of Guitar World, an advertisement for Powers of Ten.
  • ImageClick to enlarge.

Also from Sept. 1992, an ad for Guitar On The Edge II. Towards the bottom there is mention of Shawn's playing on MVP - Centrifugal Funk.
  • ImageClick to enlarge.
Heh, Varney would've had to file chapter 11 for Shawn's playing alone!

A couple from the November 1996 issue of guitar(for the practicing musician). The first one being an ad for Transensor pickups and then a small tutorial from the "Over The Top" segment.

Heh, completely forgot about these. Scanned'em over the weekend. The first one is from the May 1996 Guitar for the practicing musician. It's "The '80s" chapter, from the article "The Evolution of Chops". All sorts of great guitarists are named. Unfortunately, the main stream media nearly missed Shawn...
  • ImageImage

This one, from the June issue, chronicles the history of Shawn's major recordings, leading up to the then yet to be released album "'Temporary Analogs of Ecstacy', or something along those lines." _____________________________________________________________
Absolutely...

Hopefully, more to come...
Last edited by Warren 18 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

I've just finished listening to a Black Oak Arkansas Live radio broadcast, from '79, when Shawn was 15. Heh, I might as well quit.....
What if?
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Never dug guitar heroes, famous or otherwise, as much as real bands, if you know what I mean. Still, this is very interesting, I'm going to read up on all of it, some fascinating shite.

Thanks for bringing this to light, man.
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

"Guitar Hero" just isn't fitting enough. He was so much more.
What if?
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

And I'll add that he won Best New Talent in both Guitar Player and Keyboard Player Magazine polls, in '92. He wrote most of his music on piano.
What if?
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Warren wrote:He wrote most of his music on piano.
As is most great music.

A piano also has "strings", only, you need to open the damn thing to see... :lol:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

first heard of this shawn lane around 10 years ago (95) and he was said as the new frontier of the rock guitarist, in the sense of chord exploration. That was remarkable as that magazine was definitely a pro grunge one
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

Yeah, he does use some unique chord voicings!
What if?
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Unannouncing this thread for now as no posts have been made for a good 5 months.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

I can't believe he's dead, I just learned it!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: and it happened 2 years ago!
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Unstickying. If the topic is popular and generates lots of interest, it will remain at the top.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records