The 'why-I-think-this-is-the-greatest-band' topic...

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
aerogi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by aerogi »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Jesper Hvid wrote: The first person in the world to play music fast was the composer Johann Sebastian Bach, in the 18th century, and I think he in effect invented or made possible Heavy Metal - my favorite genre.
My favourite Classical 'heavy metal' part is Grieg's 'Peer Guint Suite'. But I don't know much details about this guy, but that is pretty fast. And IIRC this has been 'covered' by Apocalyptica.

Led Zep is a great band, they were my favourites band's greatest influence, and even more the pre-Led Zep band, namely the Yardbirds. I have a few Aerosmith bootlegs were Jimmy Page joined Aerosmith on stage to jam on a few songs like Train kept a Rollin', things like that. Aerosmith is often also doing a cover on concerts.
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/aerogi/index ... rum=aerogi , the 2nd best motorsport forum of the world! :)
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

aerogi wrote:
Jesper Hvid wrote: The first person in the world to play music fast was the composer Johann Sebastian Bach, in the 18th century, and I think he in effect invented or made possible Heavy Metal - my favorite genre.
My favourite Classical 'heavy metal' part is Grieg's 'Peer Guint Suite'. But I don't know much details about this guy, but that is pretty fast. And IIRC this has been 'covered' by Apocalyptica.
Hehe, yeah, the "Hall of the Mountain King" bit has inspired many HM-bands, Savatage and Rainbow for instance. It's so perfectly suitable for a guitar solo. Also, Triumph play a section of that on the live album "Stages", and I've heard it also on of all places the spoof Heavy Metal album "Max And The Broadway Metal Choir". The theme music from that daft cartoon "Inspector Gadget" is a variation of it, too.

Edward Grieg was Norwegian. The Peer Gynt stuff was composed in the 1870s, to order, to accompany the Henrik Ibsen-play of same name: http://www.mnc.net/norway/GRIEG.HTM

It's one of the best musical representations of Norse or Scandinavian "mysticism", which is unique in the world. See if Tolkien could have written Lord of the Rings without it.