Adrian Newey Quits Red Bull - Confirmed

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

So it seems that all of the rumours regarding Newey at. the moment relate to his feelings rather than his actions. There is nothing confirmed around the paddock from anywhere that he has any sort of agreement with another team.... just suggestions that he has had chats with certainly Aston and Ferrari, and that he is concerned negatively about the general controversies within Red Bull Management globally.

That doesn’t mean he doesn't have offers in, but the implication regarding his apparent wish to leave Red Bull is based not so much about him wanting a new challenge but more to do upon his personal position and aspects of the Horner case, be it Horners actions or the way Red Bull have gone about their seemingly one sided approach to the enquiry.. That and also the alleged power struggles between the various parties in Austria Thailand and Milton Keynes.

It seems the threat is not so much what other opportunities there may be for Newey in F1 at this stage.... I guess Newey is fully aware his services would be fought over by any team with deep enough pockets. Not only does the Newey name carry with it guarantees of performance but with it would come great commercial benefits..... potential sponsors knowing their brand will likely be on a successful car and thus getting more TV and media and marketing exposure, the core purpose of sponsorship.

There is one other matter I have learnt that I was unaware of.

This could be both divisive to his relationship with Horner and also decisive as to the direction of his Red Bull future. It seems the lady who is the central figure in all this, Mr Horner's PA, was or is in fact also Adrian Newey's PA. I am not sure if this was a joint PA function or whether said lady was at one time Newey's PA and moved to take that role with Horner, or indeed vice versa. All I have read is that, albeit chronology unknown, the 'star witness' has worked as a PA to both Adrian and Christian at Red Bull.

The fact Newey has had a professional relationship[ with the person who claims to have been wronged could and would influence Neweys perception of in the whole appeal and enquiry processes, and certainly likely affect his relationship with Horner.. This might even include his own untold beliefs of where guilt lies, his own beliefs reall the allegations against both Horner and the lady not to mention his own feelings concerning any shortcomings he has seen in the whole enquiry process.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

And according to the Daily Mail, Smerczak has been scouring the house market in Italy with a view to buying a new home. The Scuderia are based in Maranello, and a move to the country would make perfect sense for Newey if he was to join Fred Vasseur’s team.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... ll-ferrari

Amanda Smerczak is Newey's wife.
We Are Addicted to a Sense of Crisis.
Rory Stewart
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

PARC FERME: END GAME

GP247 has an interesting angle on reasons why Newey might leave RBR, and it is not for reasons most of us thought. Stevens speaks on the subject from his perspective, but it's hard to argue with him. Mind you, bean counting might be related to budgetary considerations.
On the basis that there’s no smoke without fire, the departure of Adrian Newey from Red Bull Racing appears imminent. However, to lay this at the feet of Christian Horner would be unfair. There’s been a sea of change since the passing of Dietrich Mateschitz. Out of that shadow has crawled the Red Bull bean counting fraternity, with a more bottom line than racing focus.

This is not a happy environment for the likes of Newey, who does not relish anyone trying to tell him how it’s going to be done. The whole Horner affair has acted as a convenient and timely taxi to a potentially final F1 destination.

Flirting with Ferrari

...Ferrari isn’t part of F1, it is F1, and now the timing is perfect.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/04/30 ... -newey-f1/

For whatever it is worth, I think Newey, what could be the end-phase of his career, wants to work with Hamilton (or Alonso), as he once stated, should he decide to end it in the F1. Otherwise there is the charm of the sea...

F1 Insider (Bach, German):
Accordingly, the British mastermind is said to have reached an agreement with Red Bull to be released earlier from the contract, which actually runs until the end of 2025 and includes a one-year blocking period afterwards.
This would mean that Newey can work for his potential new employer Ferrari earlier and work on their development for the 2026 car, which will be designed according to completely new rules. In the past, this was a specialty of the British mastermind.
Rory Stewart
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Lots of places are saying there will be a formal announcement today on this story. Given it's getting later in the day it's looking less likely now, but multiple sites are suggesting Adrian Newey has handed in a formal resignation letter. Only time will tell if that is the case.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Star wrote: 1 week ago Lots of places are saying there will be a formal announcement today on this story. Given it's getting later in the day it's looking less likely now, but multiple sites are suggesting Adrian Newey has handed in a formal resignation letter. Only time will tell if that is the case.
Yes, still unconfirmed, but German sources claiming Newey has submitted his resignation, and will leave RBR end of this year. Verstappen Sr. still is talking about Max possibly switching teams. It all seems rather very confusing.
Rory Stewart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Star wrote: 1 week ago Lots of places are saying there will be a formal announcement today on this story. Given it's getting later in the day it's looking less likely now, but multiple sites are suggesting Adrian Newey has handed in a formal resignation letter. Only time will tell if that is the case.
It does indeed seem that it is now not if but when confirmation will come. I have read that it will come before the Miami GP this weekend. It is widely reported as has been suggested by @Aty that he has formally handed in his resignation, but the delay in official word is that the actual terms of his departure are being formalised. By that I guess comes any gardening leave, when he will actually depart. As Newey is not a direct employee of Red Bull, but is contracted as a consultant to work exclusively in F1 terms for Red Bull. I suspect that may have implications on the actual gardening leave being legally enforceable.

It is understood that Newey has communicated the reasons for his decision in an internal letter. having indicated to colleagues that he was no longer happy with the working environment there.

It seems according to Autosport that his relationship with Horner is broken as a result of not only the scandal with the PA but had already deteriorated prior following an interview Horner gave, blowing his own trumpet over the depth of talent in the team he has created, and effectively minimising the effect of Newey on the team's success.
.A decisive factor is said to have been his broken relationship with team boss Christian Horner, in the wake of the power struggle that took place earlier in the year following the allegations made against him by a female employee.

This came subsequent to previous tensions, including an interview published at the end of last year where Horner said Newey’s role had changed and that “the technical team under him, led by Pierre Wache, is doing a wonderful job so they are not dependent on Adrian."

Horner also explained that Manchester United did not go under when star striker Eric Cantona left the team.

That interview did not go down well with Newey and was apparently perceived by him as Horner wanting to make himself important and minimise the contribution of others to the team's success.

Newey's wife Amanda even shared the interview on Twitter and commented: "What a load of hogwash."
As to where he goes from here Autosport have listed 4 teams, and a fifth option.... but my own belief is that it will be Ferrari. I cant see him quitting F1. Not with the challenge of a new set of regulations that come in in 2026. To me that latter fact alone is a challenge to Newey I dont believe he can turn his back on. Mercedes I believe is not a strong option.

As mentioned Autosport talk of five clear options......: Mercedes, Aston Martin, McLaren, Ferrari or a complete stepping away from F1.
One argument against Mercedes is that Newey apparently believes it would take too long to set the necessary course to put the team back on the road to victory. He is 65 and will not stay in his next job for 19 years, as was the case at Red Bull.
What's more, he reportedly does not have a particularly high opinion of Toto Wolff.

Lawrence Stroll is waving his chequebook at Aston Martin, and Dan Fallows, a long-time colleague of Newey's at Red Bull, is already there. However, Newey has earned enough money in his career. For him, it's about doing things that he enjoys.

It is rumoured that Newey is rather reserved towards Stroll Sr. and is therefore not considering the Canadian's financially attractive offer. Image

Newey has already worked for McLaren in the past, from 1997 to 2005, so this would no longer be a new challenge for him.

He gets on extremely well with CEO Zak Brown on a personal level. But Newey doubts that the team can mobilise the resources required for success in Formula 1.

That leaves Ferrari. It's no secret that they want him there, but the key question is whether or not he would want the upheaval in his life to move to Maranello and deal with the political environment inside the team.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/newey ... /10605069/

Forgot to mention.... I have read reports that Adrians' wife is said to have been house hunting in the Marinello region. :suspicious: :whistling:

As for Newey fearing Stroll might try to sell the team with the Newey factor driving up the team value, that is something that crossed my mind.... selling the team is probably easier than having to sack his son as a driver. He did always hint that owning an F1 team was an investment (more than a seat for his son)

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

I am begging to think that linked magazine might not be all trash after all. They might not get all facts right, but substantively they probably knew more than an average Joe on side lines. Furthermore, there might be some other issues in the play, than just (alledged) power struggle between owners. I am also puzzled who came up with the idea there is internal power struggle?

https://businessf1magazine.com/april-2024-free-issue/
Rory Stewart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago
As to where he goes from here Autosport have listed 4 teams, and a fifth option.... but my own belief is that it will be Ferrari. I cant see him quitting F1. Not with the challenge of a new set of regulations that come in in 2026. To me that latter fact alone is a challenge to Newey I dont believe he can turn his back on. Mercedes I believe is not a strong option.

As mentioned Autosport talk of five clear options......: Mercedes, Aston Martin, McLaren, Ferrari or a complete stepping away from F1.
Now reading reports that whilst we might here of his Red Bull exit details soon, there will likely be no news on his actual future plans.
It seems nothing is formalised and his priority was more about getting out of Red Bull. The decision to leave is not because of another deal signed, mor a step 1 of the process

Yes he has options, but increasingly there is an underlying tone that Newey may fallen out of love with the sport and no rival teams are involved in his decision-making process. I personally feel that he may not quite be so out of love with F1 as mentioned because of the major challenge of a blank sheet set of all encompassing new regulations covering chassis and power train.

I am sure Adrians mind is also going to be toying with ideas whilst he is unemployed. If he is just 'doodling at home on his drawing board' with no future team locked in that surely would not breach any gardening leave mandates that might be contractually in place with his Red Bull exit. :idunno:

When and if that exit is confirmed. I think the lack of denials of any form from Red Bull only adds weight to the "he is leaving Red Bull". In fact the nature of any word from Red Bull is more based on him not leaving to work elsewhere, with no outright denial that he might leave.... other than he being technically under ontract to RB until end 2025.

The terms of his release from that contract that he and the various lawyers of both sides can agree on will be pivotal to his future plans. There are others here far more qualified to comment of the 'legalese' side than my ramblings @P. Cornelius Scipio

(Mention of that member reminds me he has been absent from discussions this past week. I hope all is well with him, maybe on vacation or just busy as happens. @Star might have more on that as I believe they are virtual friends behind the scenes.:idunno:

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

This now seems to be an open secret. Red Bull and Adrian Newey haven't confirmed it yet, but we all know it's going to happen at some point. It's not if, it's when and where he goes, though Ferrari seems to be most likely if reports of his wife property shopping in Italy are to be believed. I have also seen reports that it will be formally annouced this weekend.
@Everso Biggyballies I haven't spoken to @P. Cornelius Scipio this week. I do know he gets very busy with his job at times though. He was fine last time we spoke.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Ferrari is not alone making offers to Newey.
Audi to move for Adrian Newey amid Red Bull uncertainty?
Sauber chief Seidl offered some insight into the build-up at Hinwil in an extensive interview with Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, and addressed the possibility of signing a figurehead like Newey to underline the seriousness of the operation.

The British engineer’s future is currently uncertain, with Newey remaining under contract with Red Bull until the end of 2025 as recent reports have suggested he has indicated a desire to leave the Milton Keynes-based squad.

It’s clear that there are one or two names in the Formula 1 circus that you would like to have in the team,” Seidl said, when asked if Audi would seek to hire Newey or a high-profile signing of similar stature.
Slim chance for my team, but +++ for the effort. Pierre Waché in lieu of Newey could be just as good game.

RB Smörgåsbord. Get it while hot.
Rory Stewart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Multiple sources There does seem to be a difference in different sources over the gardening leave. Saward suggest 12 months.

I understand Newey's lawyers have challenged the validity of the extended leave.

Adrian Newey: Red Bull confirm exit of chief technical officer in early 2025

Adrian Newey is leaving Red Bull after 18 years with the Formula 1 team

Sky Sports News understands Newey will not have to serve a period of gardening leave when he leaves next year, leaving him free to join another Formula 1 team to help design their 2026 car.

Several teams have been linked with moves for Newey with Ferrari - who have seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton joining them in 2025 - appearing favourites to sign him.

Sky Sports News reported last week that Newey had informally told the team of his desire to leave. Red Bull confirmed he will immediately step back from his Formula 1 design duties to "focus on final development and delivery of Red Bull's first hypercar, the hugely anticipated RB17".

Newey has been at Red Bull since 2006, leading the design of the cars that have taken the team to all 13 of their world titles, and team principal Christian Horner said the 65-year-old leaves the team as a "true legend".

Newey has also made a statement.
Newey said: "Ever since I was a young boy, I wanted to be a designer of fast cars. My dream was to be an engineer in Formula 1, and I've been lucky enough to make that dream a reality.

"For almost two decades it has been my great honour to have played a key role in Red Bull Racing's progress from upstart newcomer to multiple title-winning team.

"However, I feel now is an opportune moment to hand that baton over to others and to seek new challenges for myself.

"I would like to thank the many amazing people I have worked with at Red Bull in our journey over the last 18 years for their talent, dedication and hard work.

"In the interim, the final stages of development of RB17 are upon us, so for the remainder of my time with the team my focus will lie there.

"It has been a real privilege, and I am confident that the engineering team are well prepared for the work going into the final evolution of the car under the four-year period of this regulation set."
The official Red Bull statement simply says:

Horner as well......
Paying tribute to Newey, Horner said: "All of our greatest moments from the past 20 years have come with Adrian's hand on the technical tiller. His vision and brilliance have helped us to 13 titles in 20 seasons.

"His exceptional ability to conceptualise beyond F1 and bring wider inspiration to bear on the design of grand prix cars, his remarkable talent for embracing change and finding the most rewarding areas of the rules to focus on, and his relentless will to win have helped Red Bull Racing to become a greater force than I think even the late Dietrich Mateschitz might have imagined.

"More than that, the past 19 years with Adrian have been enormous fun. For me, when Adrian joined Red Bull, he was already a superstar designer.

"Two decades and 13 Championships later he leaves as a true legend.

"He is also my friend and someone I will be eternally grateful to for everything he brought to our partnership. The legacy he leaves behind will echo through the halls of Milton Keynes and RB17 Track Car will be a fitting testament and legacy to his time with us."

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Full statement from Red Bull

Adrian Newey To Leave Red Bull After 19 Years
Oracle Red Bull Racing Team Principal And CEO Christian Horner Hails Contribution Of “A True F1 Legend”.
Written by Oracle Red Bull Racing
Updated on 01.05.2024 · 19:00 UTC+10

Oracle Red Bull Racing today announces that Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey will leave the Red Bull Technology Group in the first quarter of 2025. The engineering supremo will step back from Formula One design duties to focus on final development and delivery of Red Bull’s first hypercar, the hugely anticipated RB17. He will remain involved in and committed to this exciting project until its completion.

Since joining Red Bull Racing in 2006, Adrian’s vision and technical leadership has been instrumental for the Team and Group in achieving a remarkable seven F1 Drivers’ and six Constructors’ Championship titles - totalling 118 victories and 101 poles including the STR 2008 pole and victory.
Oracle Red Bull Racing Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey said: “Ever since I was a young boy, I wanted to be a designer of fast cars. My dream was to be an engineer in Formula One, and I’ve been lucky enough to make that dream a reality. For almost two decades it has been my great honour to have played a key role in Red Bull Racing’s progress from upstart newcomer to multiple title-winning Team. However, I feel now is an opportune moment to hand that baton over to others and to seek new challenges for myself. In the interim, the final stages of development of RB17 are upon us, so for the remainder of my time with the Team my focus will lie there. I would like to thank the many amazing people I have worked with at Red Bull in our journey over the last 18 years for their talent, dedication and hard work. It has been a real privilege, and I am confident that the engineering Team are well prepared for the work going into the final evolution of the car under the four-year period of this regulation set. On a personal note, I would also like to thank the shareholders, the late Dietrich Mateschitz, Mark Mateschitz and Chalerm Yoovidhya for their unwavering support during my time at Red Bull, and Christian, who has not only been my business partner but also a friend of our respective families. Also, thanks to Oliver Mintzlaff for his stewardship and Eddie Jordan, my close friend and manager."

Oracle Red Bull Racing Team Principal and CEO Christian Horner said: “All of our greatest moments from the past 20 years have come with Adrian’s hand on the technical tiller. His vision and brilliance have helped us to 13 titles in 20 seasons. His exceptional ability to conceptualise beyond F1 and bring wider inspiration to bear on the design of grand prix cars, his remarkable talent for embracing change and finding the most rewarding areas of the rules to focus on, and his relentless will to win have helped Red Bull Racing to become a greater force than I think even the late Dietrich Mateschitz might have imagined. More than that, the past 19 years with Adrian have been enormous fun. For me, when Adrian joined Red Bull, he was already a superstar designer. Two decades and 13 Championships later he leaves as a true legend. He is also my friend and someone I will be eternally grateful to for everything he brought to our partnership. The legacy he leaves behind will echo through the halls of Milton Keynes and RB17 Track Car will be a fitting testament and legacy to his time with us.”

Adrian’s first true design for the Team, RB3, achieved a podium finish at the 2007 European Grand Prix. The following year his design achieved the Group’s first victory with Sebastian Vettel and Toro Rosso at the Italian GP. Following regulation changes and a unique ability to capitalise on them - something that has become a hallmark of Adrian’s stellar Red Bull Racing journey - his clean sheet RB5 design brought the Team its first win, at the Chinese Grand Prix in 2009, and five further victories that season.

In 2010 RB6 carried the Team to its first double title victory, an achievement that was repeated in each of the following three years. The introduction of hybrid power to F1 in 2014 led to leaner times and a first step back from sole F1 commitment for Adrian to allow creation of the Valkyrie hypercar.
The arrival of Honda as the Team’s power unit partner in 2019 reignited his competitive spark. RB16B brought a first Championship in eight years in 2021. An extensive regulation change for the following season resulted in another clean sheet design, the RB18, leading to a new era of dominance starting in 2022 and continuing to this day.
https://www.redbullracing.com/int-en/ad ... ss_Release

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

So looks like he will be working on the Hypercar for the next year. So some time in 2026 he's available?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

So there it is, it's definitely happening. How long before he's confirmed elsewhere? I mean if it is Ferrari, we all know they're not backwards at coming forwards with these things.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

It's pretty incredible that one man can be so vaunted and singlehandedly be counted on to conceptualize and design winners, especially in this day and age of infinitesimal gains and extreme complexities. Safe to put him up there with the likes of Colin Chapman, Mauro Forghieri, and John Barnard.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Well, done. Lots of rumors, it is now official. Next question is where he is going? His wife wouldn't be house shopping in Italy for no reason.

Anyhow, there is an unfinished story here about what is going on with Red Bull, in particular with Verstappen. I would not be surprised if he moves in 2026 (as I think Red Bull will win again in 2025). He may follow Newey. Can one imagine if Newey goes to Ferrari and Verstappen follows? Who gets bumped at Ferrari to make space?

Turning into a very interesting F1 season off track (on track is boring as shit).