Adrian Newey Quits Red Bull - Confirmed

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Adrian Newey Quits Red Bull - Confirmed

Post by Star »

In sensational news, Adrian Newey is apparently leaving Red Bull!!! He's currently got a contract to the end of 2025 but is sure he can negotiate his way out of it so that he can work for another team in 2025. I mean, everyone is going to want to sign him up, you have to wonder who will be the lucky winner to secure his services. This is all connected to the Christian Horner fiasco it would appear.

I am guessing Max Verstappen will also be heading out the door too and probably not far behind him. This is most likely the end of Red Bull's major advantage in F1, so it's an epic moment.
Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey is to leave the team in the wake of the controversy involving allegations about team principal Christian Horner.

Newey, regarded as the greatest Formula 1 designer in history, has told Red Bull he wants to move on, BBC Sport has learned.

The 65-year-old has been unsettled by the situation at Red Bull since Horner was accused of sexual harassment and coercive, abusive behaviour by a female employee, which Horner denies.

Red Bull and Newey did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The British design chief has been strongly linked with Ferrari and is known to have been made an offer by Aston Martin, but he is likely to be of interest to all leading teams now his availability is known.

Newey’s contract with Red Bull lasts until the end of 2025 but he is said to believe he can negotiate an exit that allows him to work with another team from next season.
His desire to leave Red Bull was first reported by Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, but the information has been independently verified by BBC Sport with high-level sources close to Red Bull and Newey.

They confirmed that his desire to leave stems from his unhappiness over the situation involving Horner, which has led to a multi-faceted power struggle at Red Bull.

The team cleared Horner of wrongdoing after an internal investigation. The complainant, who has since been suspended, has appealed against the decision.

Horner and Red Bull motorsport adviser Helmut Marko are in dispute, as are the Thai main shareholder Chalerm Yoovidhya, who backed Horner, and Red Bull Gmbh in Austria, who had initially wanted to remove him from his position.

Newey has been at Red Bull since 2005 and has overseen two dominant eras with the team, from 2010-14 when they won four consecutive drivers’ and constructors’ titles with Sebastian Vettel, and the current era with Max Verstappen.

Last year, Verstappen and Red Bull produced the most dominant season in F1 history, the Dutchman winning 19 of the 22 races and the team all but one. They look on course for a similar performance after winning four of the first five races this season.

Newey has previously had multiple championship-winning success at both Williams and McLaren.

As Red Bull’s chief technical officer, Newey is no longer working full time on F1 - he is also involved with the company’s other projects, such as the forthcoming RB17 supercar.

And Horner has on occasion emphasised the strengths of the team under Newey, led by technical director Pierre Wache.

But the design chief remains the brilliant mind responsible for the concept of the team’s successful cars and his departure will represent a seismic blow for the team.

It may also further unsettle Verstappen, who is known to have his own misgivings about the internal situation at the team.

Verstappen, who is under contract to the end of 2028, has been asked on a number of occasions to offer his full backing to Horner and has always given equivocal answers.

But he has repeatedly emphasised his desire to keep the senior team at Red Bull in place, and said at the Chinese Grand Prix last weekend: “I signed a long deal with team. The only thing I said from the beginning is we want to have a peaceful environment, lately we have been talking about the car. I am happy about that, I am happy with the team and there has never been a reason to leave.”

Verstappen is contractually able to leave if Marko loses his position - and the driver was instrumental in keeping the Austrian in place when it emerged at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix in March that his position was under threat.

He is not believed to have the same freedom in the event of Newey leaving, but he would regard the departure of such a totemic and influential figure as a major loss.

Mercedes are openly courting Verstappen and hope to lure him away for 2025 or 2026.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cmm3v9ny78eo
Last edited by Star 1 week ago, edited 2 times in total.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Certainly looks like a turning point.

Good luck to him whatever he does. Hopefully it shakes up the running order in the sport somewhat though.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Horner can still lean on director Pierre Waché. Should he also decide to move elsewhere (Andreas get him, please), Horner might get a chance to show us how great car designer he is. I am not sure we know why he (Newey) decided to leave, but it's not going to be the same in the land of RB.
We Are Addicted to a Sense of Crisis.
Rory Stewart
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

AMuS:

A person at the centre of interest.
Rory Stewart
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Is this why Alonso was so swift to renew his contract with Aston Martin?
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Is he really leaving? Confirmation would be desirable.
Rory Stewart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Picci wrote: 2 weeks ago Is this why Alonso was so swift to renew his contract with Aston Martin?
The thought crossed my mind buit I think it was more Sainz was seen in deep conversation with them the race before and Alonso had been pretty much dimissed for an instant yes or no from Merc and Red Bull and didnt want to lose out on what was on a plate. He had made up his mind he wanted to race on and not retire.

Of course what story was put out to the press as Alonso's reasons, we do know 100% that at the Saudi GP Stroll Snr offered Newey a mega package to join them. The speed of Alonso's sudden decision could well be because he got word of a Newey deal, and the story of his confirmation to stay being to 'undercut' Sainz was just a convenient story to (try and) keep the lid on a Newey bombshell for a few weeks.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

By Chris Medland | April 25
Racer:
Red Bull says it is “unaware” of any plans by Adrian Newey to join a rival team in Formula 1 amid reports he is set to leave after nearly two decades with RBR.

Newey joined Red Bull in 2006 and the chief technical officer has led the design team in producing cars that won multiple championships from 2010-2013, and again from 2021 onwards. Despite the current dominance Red Bull is enjoying, the team has been in turmoil behind the scenes for much of the first part of this year following allegations about the behavior of team principal Christian Horner towards a female colleague.

Following an initial report from German publication Auto Motor und Sport that Newey is set to leave Red Bull, the BBC stated it had verified the claims and that the situation surrounding Horner was central to his desire to move elsewhere.
https://racer.com/2024/04/25/red-bull-u ... ther-team/

Denials, verification...it seems it is not official as yet. Other publications claim he will join Ferrari next year. The Official F1 site remains silent on this subject (for now).
Rory Stewart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Having said that I am sure Elkann would have been more than keen to beat any Stroll offer for Newey. Its just whether Newey could put up with Ferrari politics, and of course the relocation to Italy. I cant see Ferrari 'doing another Barnard' where they wanted Barnard so much they allowed him to set up a UK design office. That failed miserably. O)f course the offsite working scenario has come a long way since then technically so who knows.

At the end of the day Newey has said recently he was sorry he had not had the opportunity to work with Lewis, Fernando and also Ferrari. He of course has strong links to Honda, headed to Aston in 2026, and also designed the Aston Valkyrie Supercar so he has existing Aston form.

Maybe he will just say I am over F1 and go and design America's Cup racing boats as he has threatened (and maybe even dabbled in) before.
Of course Gardening Leave would play a partt, although I believe that is by law a maximum of 6 months. He is also technically contracted to Red Bull until end 2025, but I am sure there are exit clauses in the case of Willy Waving Team Principals!

Personally I would like to see him go to Aston over Ferrari.

Of course this will only pump up the rumours of a Max departure from Red Bull for 2026. We know Max has exit clauses for Marko departing. I imagine he would have something in place to covr the likes of Newey departing given the undeniable influence Newey has on the team direction certainly aerodynamically.

All we have to do is sit back, wait for something akin to a confirmation that the Newey move is happening (and surely either a denial or confirmation will be within 24 hours :idunno: ). Smoke fire and all that though indicates some truth, even if it is just the departing Red Bull aspect.
Adrian is of course now 65 and maybe wants to spend a bit of time in the garden rather than spending most of his hours in aeroplanes bouncing from one time zone to another in a jet lagged F1 existence.

I am sure he has enough of a nest egg tucked away to keep food on the table. :whistling: :haha:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

He'll have to go on gardening leave (6 months is it?), so no real impact on any 2025 car design.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hard to argue.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Yeah, so I took the story as being true, if it turns out not to be, I'm sorry guys :blush: :blush:

I did look and Autosport were saying the same thing, several places were to be fair. I know none of them were Adrian Newey himself or Red Bull. I probably should have waited for full confirmation before I titled it as I did. I will go and amend that, for now at least ;)
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Newey exit timeline revealed
The timeline for Newey's exit is a tricky one, with a new hypercar project thoroughly underway guided by the Brit, and a contract that supposedly runs until the end of 2025.

However, The Times are now reporting that the Red Bull design guru will be allowed to leave at the end of the 2024 season to pursue other opportunities.
https://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view ... _to_leave/
'Newey and Ferrari long in contact'
According to the Italian outlet, not only is Newey planning to leave Red Bull, but talks with the Scuderia are said to be at an advanced stage. The site knows this based on its 'reliable sources'. There would already be "cautious optimism" at the Formula 1 team, which has long been coveting the top designer.
Negotiations are said to be so advanced that potential contractual terms are already being discussed, as well as the mandatory 'gardening leave' in case of an early departure from Red Bull. The 65-year-old Briton's contract at the Austrian racing team still runs until the end of 2025, so it could be some time before he can start working elsewhere.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/272279/n ... touch.html
Rory Stewart
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Hamilton went to Mercedes because he knew that they had the best engine.
He's gone to Ferrari because he knows they have the best designer.

He's the opposite Alonso, and he is going to keep falling into teams that aren't winners and claiming the credit for other people's work.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

So it seems that all of the rumours regarding Newey at. the moment relate to his feelings rather than his actions. There is nothing confirmed around the paddock from anywhere that he has any sort of agreement with another team.... just suggestions that he has had chats with certainly Aston and Ferrari, and that he is concerned negatively about the general controversies within Red Bull Management globally.

That doesn’t mean he doesn't have offers in, but the implication regarding his apparent wish to leave Red Bull is based not so much about him wanting a new challenge but more to do upon his personal position and aspects of the Horner case, be it Horners actions or the way Red Bull have gone about their seemingly one sided approach to the enquiry.. That and also the alleged power struggles between the various parties in Austria Thailand and Milton Keynes.

It seems the threat is not so much what other opportunities there may be for Newey in F1 at this stage.... I guess Newey is fully aware his services would be fought over by any team with deep enough pockets. Not only does the Newey name carry with it guarantees of performance but with it would come great commercial benefits..... potential sponsors knowing their brand will likely be on a successful car and thus getting more TV and media and marketing exposure, the core purpose of sponsorship.

There is one other matter I have learnt that I was unaware of.

This could be both divisive to his relationship with Horner and also decisive as to the direction of his Red Bull future. It seems the lady who is the central figure in all this, Mr Horner's PA, was or is in fact also Adrian Newey's PA. I am not sure if this was a joint PA function or whether said lady was at one time Newey's PA and moved to take that role with Horner, or indeed vice versa. All I have read is that, albeit chronology unknown, the 'star witness' has worked as a PA to both Adrian and Christian at Red Bull.

The fact Newey has had a professional relationship[ with the person who claims to have been wronged could and would influence Neweys perception of in the whole appeal and enquiry processes, and certainly likely affect his relationship with Horner.. This might even include his own untold beliefs of where guilt lies, his own beliefs reall the allegations against both Horner and the lady not to mention his own feelings concerning any shortcomings he has seen in the whole enquiry process.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.