2024 HOO FLUNG DUNG CHINESE GRAND PRIX

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago Danny Ric given post race penalty after China..... Grid penalty for Miami.

Danny has been hit with a three-place grid penalty for the sprint race in Miami as a result of a safety car infringement at the Chinese Grand Prix.

He was slapped with the penalty after officials found him guilty of overtaking Haas’ Nico Hulkenberg under safety car conditions on the 28th lap in Shanghai.

The incident occurred after Dan had been smashed into by Lance Stroll during a previous safety car restart. Hulk drove past Ricciardo under safety car conditions given Ricciardo was shunted by Stroll, which gave the Haas driver the green light to keep driving without fear of a penalty.

However, Ricciardo and his team both thought he was allowed to retake the position he’d lost but did so under safety car conditions.

It was a move deemed illegal by the stewards.
“The driver of Car 3 admitted that he overtook Car 27 deliberately but he explained that he felt that he could do so because Car 27 had overtaken him under safety car on Lap 28,” the race report read.

“We note that Car 27 was permitted to overtake Car 3 on Lap 28 because of Article 55.8.

“There was no justifiable basis for Car 3 to overtake Car 27 while the race was under Safety Car conditions. We accordingly imposed a 10 second time penalty on Car 3.

“As Car 3 was unable to serve the penalty due to retirement, we imposed a 3-grid place penalty to Car 3 for the next race in which the driver participates.”
Danny also received two penalty points for the offence.
Salt in the wound. But they should have just whined to the Stewarts like all the other teams do until they got permission to re-take it.

Can we start hope of a race ban for Stroll? Can we extend that ban for the next couple seasons? I guy can hope, can't he?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago Danny Ric given post race penalty after China..... Grid penalty for Miami.

Danny has been hit with a three-place grid penalty for the sprint race in Miami as a result of a safety car infringement at the Chinese Grand Prix.

He was slapped with the penalty after officials found him guilty of overtaking Haas’ Nico Hulkenberg under safety car conditions on the 28th lap in Shanghai.

The incident occurred after Dan had been smashed into by Lance Stroll during a previous safety car restart. Hulk drove past Ricciardo under safety car conditions given Ricciardo was shunted by Stroll, which gave the Haas driver the green light to keep driving without fear of a penalty.

However, Ricciardo and his team both thought he was allowed to retake the position he’d lost but did so under safety car conditions.

It was a move deemed illegal by the stewards.
“The driver of Car 3 admitted that he overtook Car 27 deliberately but he explained that he felt that he could do so because Car 27 had overtaken him under safety car on Lap 28,” the race report read.

“We note that Car 27 was permitted to overtake Car 3 on Lap 28 because of Article 55.8.

“There was no justifiable basis for Car 3 to overtake Car 27 while the race was under Safety Car conditions. We accordingly imposed a 10 second time penalty on Car 3.

“As Car 3 was unable to serve the penalty due to retirement, we imposed a 3-grid place penalty to Car 3 for the next race in which the driver participates.”
Danny also received two penalty points for the offence.
Wow, that seems a bit of a harsh penalty to me. Hulkenberg had no choice but to pass Ricciardo, I get that. I can also see why the team assumed Ricciardo could take the place back, but obviously it wasn't clear enough that you're not allowed to do that under a safety car period. Even if I understand the grid penalty in Miami (and I don't as it seems unfair) it's even more unfair to give Ricciardo penalty points if he was just following a team instruction.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Star wrote: 1 week ago Even if I understand the grid penalty in Miami (and I don't as it seems unfair) it's even more unfair to give Ricciardo penalty points if he was just following a team instruction.
Because Danny DNF'd in the race he was unable to serve the penalty,the Stewards imposed a 3-grid place penalty to Car 3 for the next race in which the driver participates. That is the official story.

The actual penalty for the pass of Hulk in the race was actually given in the race (I remember seeing in come up on screen). What has happened is that having already been given the penalty he then DNFd, so couldnt serve the penalty. Its just the way they ensure a penalty is served.

In fact, do you remember when Perez DNFd at the Japanese GP last year, at a time when he had been given a penalty already for punting KMag off. Sergio came into pitlane to reture , got out of the car etc, but the mechanics feverishly worked on the car. 25 or so laps later Sergio jumped in the car, went round the lap, came in to do a pit stop, purely to ensure he served the penalty then during the race, and then they retired the car again. That was done purely to avoid Sergio getting given a grid penalty for not having served the penalty he was given earlier in the race.

To avoid the penalty for Dan, VCARB should have done similar as the car was still running, just a bit damaged and slow. If he had pitted, served his penalty, gone back on track and then come straight back in as Sergio did, he would have escaped getting the grid penalty for Miami as the pnalty would have already been served.

Clever thinking by Red Bull with Sergio in Japan last year, a bit of an oversight by the sister team with Danny last weekend.. Also, as you say it was also the teams fault in a way for them not telling Dan he couldnt repass Hulk in the first place.... unless he just passed him without asking if it was ok which seems to be the case.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago
Star wrote: 1 week ago Even if I understand the grid penalty in Miami (and I don't as it seems unfair) it's even more unfair to give Ricciardo penalty points if he was just following a team instruction.
Because Danny DNF'd in the race he was unable to serve the penalty,the Stewards imposed a 3-grid place penalty to Car 3 for the next race in which the driver participates. That is the official story.

The actual penalty for the pass of Hulk in the race was actually given in the race (I remember seeing in come up on screen). What has happened is that having already been given the penalty he then DNFd, so couldnt serve the penalty. Its just the way they ensure a penalty is served.

In fact, do you remember when Perez DNFd at the Japanese GP last year, at a time when he had been given a penalty already for punting KMag off. Sergio came into pitlane to reture , got out of the car etc, but the mechanics feverishly worked on the car. 25 or so laps later Sergio jumped in the car, went round the lap, came in to do a pit stop, purely to ensure he served the penalty then during the race, and then they retired the car again. That was done purely to avoid Sergio getting given a grid penalty for not having served the penalty he was given earlier in the race.

To avoid the penalty for Dan, VCARB should have done similar as the car was still running, just a bit damaged and slow. If he had pitted, served his penalty, gone back on track and then come straight back in as Sergio did, he would have escaped getting the grid penalty for Miami as the pnalty would have already been served.

Clever thinking by Red Bull with Sergio in Japan last year, a bit of an oversight by the sister team with Danny last weekend.. Also, as you say it was also the teams fault in a way for them not telling Dan he couldnt repass Hulk in the first place.... unless he just passed him without asking if it was ok which seems to be the case.
I didn't notice the penalty for Danny Ric during the race. When you only get highlights you sometimes miss things like that, or I do anyway. Thanks for explaining it :thumbsup: I assumed he'd been given the penalty after the race. I still think the penalty points were a bit much though.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!