2024 HOO FLUNG DUNG CHINESE GRAND PRIX

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Max worried he has run over debris and for the team to check his tyres. Only one more lap after this one

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Last lap and Max had a big wobble.... I thought it was a puncture!

Max wins from Lando and Sergio

POS DRIVERGAP TYRE PIT
1 Max VERSTAPPENLEADER 1
2 Lando NORRIS+0.021 2
3 Sergio PEREZ+4.193 2
4 Charles LECLERC+19.769 1
5 Carlos SAINZ+32.958 3
6 George RUSSELL+33.239 1
7 Fernando ALONSO+34.432 2
8 Oscar PIASTRI+45.480 2
9 Lewis HAMILTON+48.546 2
10 Nico HULKENBERG+52.208 2

11 Esteban OCON+51.210 2
12 Alexander ALBON+53.385 2
13 Pierre GASLY+55.550 3
14 GuanyuZHOU+58.629 3
15 Kevin MAGNUSSEN+77.533 2
16 Lance STROLL+68.775 4
17 Logan SARGEANT+71.086 2
18 Daniel RICCIARDO-- 2
19 Yuki TSUNODA-- 2
20 Valtteri BOTTAS-- 1

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Lando increases his record for the most podiums without a win.... now up to 15 and two ahead of previous record holder Nick Heidfeld.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Driver Standings. No change in the top 6 names or order.

POS DRIVER NATIONALITY CAR PTS
1 Max Verstappen NED RED BULL RACING HONDA RBPT 110
2 Sergio Perez MEX RED BULL RACING HONDA RBPT 85
3 Charles Leclerc MON FERRARI 76
4 Carlos Sainz ESP FERRARI 69
5 Lando Norris GBR MCLAREN MERCEDES 58
6 Oscar Piastri AUS MCLAREN MERCEDES 38

Constructor Standings. Again no change in the names or order.

POS TEAM PTS
1 RED BULL RACING HONDA RBPT 195
2 FERRARI 151
3 MCLAREN MERCEDES 96
4 MERCEDES 52
5 ASTON MARTIN ARAMCO MERCEDES 40
6 RB HONDA RBPT 7
7 HAAS FERRARI 5
8 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 0
9 ALPINE RENAULT 0
10 KICK SAUBER FERRARI 0

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

We watch in silence.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I have to say the man of the race for me was one Fernando Alonso, though it wasn't all good news for him, more on that later then. That start though, he passed Perez so easily and even had a look at Verstappen, only it wasn't to be. It was a wise move not to push his luck there. 

There was a nasty incident in the pits when Gasly's car came off the jack and looked to injure one of his crew, hopefully not seriously.  Shame also for Bottas when his engine let go. 
Now I did think Stroll had made another stupid error when he went into the back of Danny Ric and pushed him into Piastri. Seems thought the fault started much further ahead with his teammate. Alonso had an issue and forced Russell to go defensive, that backed everyone up and caused the Stroll problem it seemed. It ruined Ricciardo's race and Piastri's too sadly. 
The only real action we had was a duel between Magnussen and Stroll, it was pretty impressive for a while there, albeit at the rear end of the race.  If only we had more battles like that, it was very good while it lasted. I was amazed when Stroll was able to battle like that.

The stewards had a quiet time then handed out 3 penalties in a row. Like buses, nothing, then 3 all at once.

Alonso showed us some class out there today. After that pitstop he was just amazing. He made some excellent moves and managed to get the fastest lap as well. You'd never take him for a driver that is almost 43 years old would you? No wonder Aston Martin has signed him up for another two years. How he kept it on the track when he had that moment with the gravel I don't know and to then pass Hamilton just a couple of corners later, wow. 

Verstappen was in a league of his own again, what can you say about him? It's too easy for him isn't it? A great second place for Lando Norris and Perez probably should have got second but had to settle for third. 

All in all, not a bad race as far as I was concerned.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Stroll was a fucking idiot. He has nobody to blame but himself.

If anything the others in front all went deeper into the corner and helped extend his braking distance.

I agree with Ricciardo's comments.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 week ago Stroll was a fucking idiot. He has nobody to blame but himself.

If anything the others in front all went deeper into the corner and helped extend his braking distance.

I agree with Ricciardo's comments.
:agreepost:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Star wrote: 1 week ago Now I did think Stroll had made another stupid error when he went into the back of Danny Ric and pushed him into Piastri. Seems thought the fault started much further ahead with his teammate. Alonso had an issue and forced Russell to go defensive, that backed everyone up and caused the Stroll problem it seemed.
I disagree with this:
Just look how many cars were behind Alonso and Russell. They all managed to react on it. Behind Ricciardo, there was a significant gap to Stroll. And still he managed not to react accordingly and slams HARD into Ricciardo's car. Not just a nudge. No. He was underneath the RB.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

:agreepost:

Having had a chance. to look Stroll was looking to his right into the corner just a split second before he hit DannyRic. Looking ahead like that he should have seen everyone backing up and know it would domino back and would affect him.
Others were correctly more focussed on the car in front as you should be in a restart situation. Stroll was ultimtely at fault for driving into the back of the car in front without help (ie no one pushed him into Danny, he did it all on his own.
Whether he was being overeager or simply lacking in awareness and concentration on his immediate vicinity you cant say. Probably all of the above.
Bottom line is awareness is not Stroll's strong point as his reaction at the time suggested with his blame on Danny.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Star wrote: 1 week ago I have to say the man of the race for me was one Fernando Alonso, though it wasn't all good news for him, more on that later then. That start though, he passed Perez so easily and even had a look at Verstappen, only it wasn't to be. It was a wise move not to push his luck there. 
Yeah Alonso's progress is my main point of interest in every race lately. To be 3rd on the grid, beating Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes is epic. It's a shame the car doesn't have the ability to keep up on Sunday.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Okay, I take it back, Stroll was an idiot. The reaction did start with Alonso but I see now Stroll had plenty of space to take evasive action and just... didn't. That wasn't clear on what I saw at the time. I stand corrected.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

PTRACER wrote: 1 week ago
Star wrote: 1 week ago I have to say the man of the race for me was one Fernando Alonso, though it wasn't all good news for him, more on that later then. That start though, he passed Perez so easily and even had a look at Verstappen, only it wasn't to be. It was a wise move not to push his luck there. 
Yeah Alonso's progress is my main point of interest in every race lately. To be 3rd on the grid, beating Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes is epic. It's a shame the car doesn't have the ability to keep up on Sunday.

I know age shouldn't come into it, but at 42, heading for 43 in a couple of months, Alonso is driving close to his best I reckon. He just doesn't give up does he?

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

He is certainly driving very well, and driving in a manner that comes with what will be, by season end, the experience and wisdom that comes with having started some 400 GPs. Still has plenty of aggression but generally tempers it with knowing what not to do.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Danny Ric given post race penalty after China..... Grid penalty for Miami.

Danny has been hit with a three-place grid penalty for the sprint race in Miami as a result of a safety car infringement at the Chinese Grand Prix.

He was slapped with the penalty after officials found him guilty of overtaking Haas’ Nico Hulkenberg under safety car conditions on the 28th lap in Shanghai.

The incident occurred after Dan had been smashed into by Lance Stroll during a previous safety car restart. Hulk drove past Ricciardo under safety car conditions given Ricciardo was shunted by Stroll, which gave the Haas driver the green light to keep driving without fear of a penalty.

However, Ricciardo and his team both thought he was allowed to retake the position he’d lost but did so under safety car conditions.

It was a move deemed illegal by the stewards.
“The driver of Car 3 admitted that he overtook Car 27 deliberately but he explained that he felt that he could do so because Car 27 had overtaken him under safety car on Lap 28,” the race report read.

“We note that Car 27 was permitted to overtake Car 3 on Lap 28 because of Article 55.8.

“There was no justifiable basis for Car 3 to overtake Car 27 while the race was under Safety Car conditions. We accordingly imposed a 10 second time penalty on Car 3.

“As Car 3 was unable to serve the penalty due to retirement, we imposed a 3-grid place penalty to Car 3 for the next race in which the driver participates.”
Danny also received two penalty points for the offence.

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago Danny Ric given post race penalty after China..... Grid penalty for Miami.

Danny has been hit with a three-place grid penalty for the sprint race in Miami as a result of a safety car infringement at the Chinese Grand Prix.

He was slapped with the penalty after officials found him guilty of overtaking Haas’ Nico Hulkenberg under safety car conditions on the 28th lap in Shanghai.

The incident occurred after Dan had been smashed into by Lance Stroll during a previous safety car restart. Hulk drove past Ricciardo under safety car conditions given Ricciardo was shunted by Stroll, which gave the Haas driver the green light to keep driving without fear of a penalty.

However, Ricciardo and his team both thought he was allowed to retake the position he’d lost but did so under safety car conditions.

It was a move deemed illegal by the stewards.
“The driver of Car 3 admitted that he overtook Car 27 deliberately but he explained that he felt that he could do so because Car 27 had overtaken him under safety car on Lap 28,” the race report read.

“We note that Car 27 was permitted to overtake Car 3 on Lap 28 because of Article 55.8.

“There was no justifiable basis for Car 3 to overtake Car 27 while the race was under Safety Car conditions. We accordingly imposed a 10 second time penalty on Car 3.

“As Car 3 was unable to serve the penalty due to retirement, we imposed a 3-grid place penalty to Car 3 for the next race in which the driver participates.”
Danny also received two penalty points for the offence.
Salt in the wound. But they should have just whined to the Stewarts like all the other teams do until they got permission to re-take it.

Can we start hope of a race ban for Stroll? Can we extend that ban for the next couple seasons? I guy can hope, can't he?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy: