2025 Driver Market

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

2025 Driver Market

Post by Ruslan »

I guess this subject needs its own thread, after having no changes between 2023-2024. Looks like 2025 is going to be a dramatic season with 2024 being at least four drivers last season in F1. Here is what we currently have:

Red Bull: Verstappen, open seat (guessing Tsunoda, but who knows)
Ferrari: LeClerc, Hamilton (great line up... this is going to be fun)
Mercedes: Russell, open seat (guessing Ocon or Albon, but this is still pretty open)
McLaren: Norris, Piastri
Aston Martin: Alonso?, Stroll?
Alpine: Ocon?, Gasly?
Audi: open seat, open seat (guessing Sainz and Hulkenberg)
Williams: Albon?, Sargeant ?, Antonelli?
Red Bull Jr: Tsunoda?, Ricciardo?, Lawson?
Haas: Hulkenberg?, Magnussen?, Bearman?

Floater: Sainz (either Audi, Mercedes, AM or RB)
Promoted: Tsunoda?, Albon?, Ocon?, Hulkenberg?
Probably gone: Bottas, Zhou, Perez

1. It appears that RB Jr, Haas and Williams may become the home to up and coming drivers (Lawson, Bearman and Antonelli). Of course, someone has to leave or get promoted for them to have a spot.
2. It appears that the following drivers may be in their last year in F1: Bottas, Zhou, Perez, Sargeant?, Ricciardo?, Magnussen?, Stroll?
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Alonso in ‘new’ talks to replace Verstappen at Red Bull
https://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view ... _Red_Bull/

This Alonso guy, a busy buddy, seems to be now in the news (of any kind) almost daily. Mercedes first and now interested in RBR replacing Max and hire him instead? What's wrong with iconic paradise where he is today? Lets hope brakes failure was an odd accident only, and not beginning of something more (à la spirit of N. Stepney at Ferrari "working" on Michael's car). Helping hands everywhere.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I just don't get why Max would leave for Mercedes, a team that hasn't actually won a title without Ross Brawn masterminding a rules change. 2009 was down to Brawn's leadership. 2014+ was down to Brawn's leadership and work in aligning Mercedes F1 with Mercedes HPP, and the fact they started dyno testing the engine in 2008.

Red Bull should just sign Alonso as the number 2, and tell Max that he's got the choice of looking like he's been forced out by the threat of a 42 year old, or he can stay and beat the guy that was Hamilton's equal.

Max can then say he has a title against a 2x WDC, which is something Lewis cannot claim. He's never won a title with a World Champion in the other car.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Jacques Villeneuve's comments: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... ed89&ei=17

1. "I can't imagine Toto Wolff wanting Max...It would be more to do with wanting to get at Red Bull"
2. "Put Alonso in that [Red Bull] car and he would be wining as well."
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Ruslan wrote: 1 month ago Jacques Villeneuve's comments: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... ed89&ei=17

1. "I can't imagine Toto Wolff wanting Max...It would be more to do with wanting to get at Red Bull"
2. "Put Alonso in that [Red Bull] car and he would be wining as well."
Well there are other people who claim that it was not a car that won championship. It was the driver who elevated its performance. Alonso is not better than Senna. Marko thinks Max is just as good, if not better than Senna.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Oh... and Aston Martin has made an offer for Adrian Newey, which if accepted, would certainly influence the driver market: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... eefb&ei=11

As Aston Martin has shamelessly copied Red Bull, it would at least be a car Newey is familiar with.

According to a random internet search, Newey's net worth is $50M (similar to Horner's $53M).
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Newey is 65. He'll be put on leave for 6 months minimum, if not 12 months. Then he'll be 66, and by the time he actually gets to release a car he'll be 67 - assuming he's been given free reign to reorganise the team.

Now bear in mind it took 4 years after his Red Bull move before they won a title. Yes, he won a title with his first Mclaren, but they were far closer to the front than Aston Martin and benefitted from Williams - the best team in 1997 - having what was basically a customer engine in 1998 that killed their competitive potential.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 month ago Newey is 65. He'll be put on leave for 6 months minimum, if not 12 months. Then he'll be 66, and by the time he actually gets to release a car he'll be 67 - assuming he's been given free reign to reorganise the team.

Now bear in mind it took 4 years after his Red Bull move before they won a title. Yes, he won a title with his first Mclaren, but they were far closer to the front than Aston Martin and benefitted from Williams - the best team in 1997 - having what was basically a customer engine in 1998 that killed their competitive potential.
Yea, if he went to Aston Martin, it would kind of have to be his last stop. Now, if his next worth is "only" $50M... then he might be tempted if AM gives him a big enough package (and Red Bull does not counteroffer). We shall see. It would be good for F1 if he moved. Suspect he won't.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Peter Windsor (former team manager Williams) is saying Perez has already renewed his contract with Red Bull: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... 4210&ei=30

Well, the F1 news feed is now starting to agree with Peter Windsor, although they don't say the Perez has already renewed his contract: https://www.grandprix.com/news/perez-ra ... -2025.html
Last edited by Ruslan 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

It's going to be the mother of all silly seasons this year I suspect.

Hmm, so Perez is potentially staying at Red Bull then, I didn't think that was an option for him. Then again, who would do a better job than he's doing right now? Tsunoda, maybe. I'm guessing not many other drivers would want to go there just to play second fiddle to Verstappen.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Star wrote: 4 weeks ago It's going to be the mother of all silly seasons this year I suspect.

Hmm, so Perez is potentially staying at Red Bull then, I didn't think that was an option for him. Then again, who would do a better job than he's doing right now? Tsunoda, maybe. I'm guessing not many other drivers would want to go there just to play second fiddle to Verstappen.
If it is true, then it means that Tsunoda and DR are stuck down in the Red Bull Jr team. Added to that, they have Liam Lawson waiting in the wings. Three doesn't go into two.

I have some doubts about the rumor, but as it comes from Peter Windsor, it is hard to ignore.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Ruslan wrote: 4 weeks agoThree doesn't go into two.
That's news to Monisha Kaltenborn.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

DoubleFart wrote: 4 weeks ago
Ruslan wrote: 4 weeks agoThree doesn't go into two.
That's news to Monisha Kaltenborn.
She thought four went into two at one point I believe :whistling:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Interesting discussion from Damon Hill about why Ricciardo is struggling. He also compares it to Vettel after 2014: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... be58&ei=22
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

This article kind of tracks with what I am seeing, Gasly stays at Alpine and Ocon may go to Mercedes:https://www.grandprix.com/news/gasly-ma ... ution.html. With the new engine regulations in 2026, Alpine may be able to join the big boys. They have been hampered for a few years with an underpowered engine.