2025 Driver Market

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Aty wrote: 1 week ago Has Kimi at least completed high school yet? Only carless or mentally challenged people would sent a 17 years old into the F1, regardless of his potential in later years, and once he can say properly ma-ma, or da-da...
Max was only 17yrs and 5 months when he made his race debut at the 2015 Australian GP. In fact it was after some concern as to Max's age on debut that the following year in 2016 the Superlicence rules were slapped with a minimum age of 18 by the FIA. Hence any race debut earlier than August 25th this year (when Antonelli turns 18) will require a special FIA dispensation..

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

If I was that desperate to put him in a seat, I'd wait until he's 18, and flog him in old F1 mules before then.

Then again, maybe they already have and are.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

MonteCristo wrote: 1 week ago If I was that desperate to put him in a seat, I'd wait until he's 18, and flog him in old F1 mules before then.

Then again, maybe they already have and are.
He had a two day test recently but scheduled are a number of test days in the 2022 car.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

I'm kinda convinced Mercedes only wanted to promote Antonelli around 2026 after Hamilton would be forced out. But the fact he made the move first left them with a dilemma as even putting a reserve driver for one year makes little sense in the current reality. Mick Schumacher would raise the crash bill and the other option would be to recall Esteban Ocon for 2025 only?

It's kinda no different to Vettel leaving Red Bull for Ferrari literally two weeks after they announced Vergne won't be retained for Toro Rosso which led to the Kvyat shuffle and basically enabled Sainz, Jr. to even be in F1 in first place.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Hulkenberg is rumored to be signing a 3-year contract with Audi. If true, good for him. Well deserved: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... 9baa&ei=13

I am guessing Sainz will also be signing with them soon.

It is also in the F1 news feed. They do pick up that Bearman is his probably replacement at Haas: https://www.grandprix.com/news/audi-agr ... nberg.html

If I was Haas, I would replace Magnussen with Zhou (and his $$$).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

NEWEY TO LEAVE RED BULL OVER HORNER ALLEGATIONS

It seems the BBC have proof of the rumour.

At the moment no confirmation from Newey or Red Bull..... Big news if its true. Big news. The reprcussions are mighty if it turns out to be true. We know Aston Martin have made him an offer plus of course the Ferrari stories.

Does this trigger any Max change in the medium term. I dont see any short term move from Max.
It will certainly make the driver market more lively. Sainz might not have to stoop to three years of purgatory at Sauber after all. He deserves better than that.
Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey is to leave the team in the wake of the controversy involving allegations about team principal Christian Horner.

Newey, regarded as the greatest Formula 1 designer in history, has told Red Bull he wants to move on, BBC Sport has learned.

The 65-year-old has been unsettled by the situation at Red Bull since Horner was accused of sexual harassment and coercive, abusive behaviour by a female employee, which Horner denies.

Red Bull and Newey did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The British design chief has been strongly linked with Ferrari and is known to have been made an offer by Aston Martin, but he is likely to be of interest to all leading teams now his availability is known.

Newey’s contract with Red Bull lasts until the end of 2025 but he is said to believe he can negotiate an exit that allows him to work with another team from next season.

His desire to leave Red Bull was first reported by Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, but the information has been independently verified by BBC Sport with high-level sources close to Red Bull and Newey.

They confirmed that his desire to leave stems from his unhappiness over the situation involving Horner, which has led to a multi-faceted power struggle at Red Bull.

The team cleared Horner of wrongdoing after an internal investigation. The complainant, who has since been suspended, has appealed against the decision.

Horner and Red Bull motorsport adviser Helmut Marko are in dispute, as are the Thai main shareholder Chalerm Yoovidhya, who backed Horner, and Red Bull Gmbh in Austria, who had initially wanted to remove him from his position.

Newey has been at Red Bull since 2005 and has overseen two dominant eras with the team, from 2010-14 when they won four consecutive drivers’ and constructors’ titles with Sebastian Vettel, and the current era with Max Verstappen.

Last year, Verstappen and Red Bull produced the most dominant season in F1 history, the Dutchman winning 19 of the 22 races and the team all but one. They look on course for a similar performance after winning four of the first five races this season.

Newey has previously had multiple championship-winning success at both Williams and McLaren.

As Red Bull’s chief technical officer, Newey is no longer working full time on F1 - he is also involved with the company’s other projects, such as the forthcoming RB17 supercar.

And Horner has on occasion emphasised the strengths of the team under Newey, led by technical director Pierre Wache.

But the design chief remains the brilliant mind responsible for the concept of the team’s successful cars and his departure will represent a seismic blow for the team.

It may also further unsettle Verstappen, who is known to have his own misgivings about the internal situation at the team.

Verstappen, who is under contract to the end of 2028, has been asked on a number of occasions to offer his full backing to Horner and has always given equivocal answers.

But he has repeatedly emphasised his desire to keep the senior team at Red Bull in place, and said at the Chinese Grand Prix last weekend: “I signed a long deal with team. The only thing I said from the beginning is we want to have a peaceful environment, lately we have been talking about the car. I am happy about that, I am happy with the team and there has never been a reason to leave.”

Verstappen is contractually able to leave if Marko loses his position - and the driver was instrumental in keeping the Austrian in place when it emerged at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix in March that his position was under threat.

He is not believed to have the same freedom in the event of Newey leaving, but he would regard the departure of such a totemic and influential figure as a major loss.

Mercedes are openly courting Verstappen and hope to lure him away for 2025 or 2026.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/cmm3v9ny78eo

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Nico - 1st driver being confirmed for Sauber (aka Audi) 2025 and beyond.

In my understanding Carlos has until mid May to let Sauber know whether he will accept their offer. Audi will launch negotiations with other drivers, should he decline. I am not happy about this. If you want that seat, speak now. What is there to wait for? Next month you will call Andreas - no one wants me, so I take your seat? That sounds little stinky.

My solution, lets talk to Seb and convince him to return.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

@Everso Biggyballies I didn't see that you'd put the Adrian Newey story in here that I posted too. We must have been doing it at about the same time :blush: :whistling:

Nico Hulkenberg to Kick Sauber for 2025 then, which one of the current pair are going? Will it be Bottas or Zhou, or maybe both who are out?
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Another thought, does this mean the seat at Haas is going to be handed to young Oliver Bearman do you think?
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Star wrote: 1 week ago Another thought, does this mean the seat at Haas is going to be handed to young Oliver Bearman do you think?
Most likely.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Last edited by Ruslan 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Original post updated. Here is what we currently have:

Red Bull: Verstappen, Perez stays?
Ferrari: LeClerc, Hamilton (great line up... this is going to be fun)
Mercedes: Russell, open seat (guessing Ocon or Albon, but this is still pretty open)
McLaren: Norris, Piastri
Aston Martin: Alonso, Stroll?
Alpine: Ocon?, Gasly?
Audi: Hulkenberg, open seat (guessing Sainz)
Williams: Albon?, Sargeant ?, Antonelli?
Red Bull Jr: Tsunoda?, Ricciardo?, Lawson?
Haas: Magnussen?, Bearman?

Floater: Sainz (either Audi, Mercedes, AM or RB)
Promoted: Tsunoda?, Albon?, Ocon?, Hulkenberg
Probably gone: Bottas, Zhou, one Red Bull driver?

1. It appears that RB Jr, Haas and Williams may become the home to up and coming drivers (Lawson, Bearman and Antonelli). Of course, someone has to leave or get promoted for them to have a spot.
2. It appears that the following drivers may be in their last year in F1: Bottas, Zhou, Sargeant?, Ricciardo?, Magnussen?, Stroll?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ruslan wrote: 1 week ago Hulkenberg confirmed at Audi: https://www.grandprix.com/news/hulkenbe ... raudi.html
An air of predictability? :haha: :suspicious:
On the basis that technically the team remains Sauber by name until 2026. :wink:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Technically speaking, Nico has signed contract with Audi, not Sauber. His contract is beyond 2025.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

According to the Germans, Verstappen will have a meeting with Mercedes big wigs after the Miami GP. Those include Toto Wolff, Mercedes-Benz CEO Ola Kallenius and Ineos CEO James Ratcliffe. Contract on offer could be 150 million euro per season.

https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-verstap ... gen-63046/
Verstappen und Mercedes: Nach Miami wird es ernst
Nach Adrian Newey droht Red Bull auch Max Verstappen zu verlieren. Verhandlungen mit Mercedes sind angesetzt.
getyourguide
Ralf Bach | 26. April 2024 , 14:57 Uhr

Nach Adrian Newey droht Red Bull auch Max Verstappen zu verlieren. Verhandlungen mit Mercedes sind angesetzt.

Der GP von Miami übernächsten Sonntag wird nicht wegen seiner Show-Effekte in die Annalen der Formel-1-Geschichte eingehen. F1-Insider.com erfuhr: Der Glitzer-GP, der in Europa zu nächtlicher Stunde (22 Uhr) übertragen wird, könnte auch das letzte Rennen sein, bei dem der wegen mutmaßlicher sexueller Belästigung einer Mitarbeiterin heftig in der Kritik stehende Red-Bull-Teamchef Christian Horner (50) sich sicher sein kann, seinen niederländischen Superstar Max Verstappen (26) bis Ende 2028 im Team halten zu können.

Hintergrund: In den 14 Tagen nach dem Event in Florida und dem Europa-Auftakt in Imola soll es konkrete Verhandlungen zwischen Mercedes und dem Verstappen-Team geben – bestehend aus dem Fahrer selbst, seinem Vater Jos und Manager Raymond Vermeulen. Wie F1-Insider.com erfuhr, wollen sich die Mercedes-F1-Team-Anteilseigner Toto Wolff, Konzernchef Ola Källenius und Sir James Ratcliffe (Ineos) mit dem Verstappen-Clan treffen.

Der Niederländer wird danach entscheiden, ob er schon nächstes Jahr zu Mercedes wechseln will. Möglich macht das eine Ausstiegsklausel in seinem Vertrag, die besagt: Wenn sein Mentor und Vertrauter Helmut Marko (Red-Bull-Motorsportberater) nicht mehr an Bord ist, kann der siegende Holländer das Red-Bull-Schiff vorzeitig verlassen. Marko, das ist sicher, wird Verstappen wenn notwendig nicht im Wege stehen.

Allein: Verstappen will bei den Gesprächen zunächst sehen, wie ernst Mercedes es meint; wie sehr der im Moment in der Formel-1 schwächelnde Automobilkonzern bereit ist, Verstappen Zugeständnisse machen. Dabei geht es dem dreifachen Weltmeister nicht nur ums Geld. Viel wichtiger für ihn, so erfuhr F1-Insider.com: Er will eine Garantie haben, dass der Silberpfeil 2025 besser ist als diese Saison. Deshalb wünscht er sich, dass Mercedes neben ihm auch wichtige Techniker von Red Bull übernimmt.

Was durchsickerte: Mercedes will Verstappen unbedingt als Nachfolger für den zu Ferrari wechselnden Lewis Hamilton verpflichten und ist dafür zu sehr vielem bereit. Das Interesse spiegelt sich alleine darin wieder, dass nicht nur Teamchef Wolff, sondern auch Konzernchef Kaellenius und der britische Multimilliardär Sir Ratcliffe beim Meeting anwesend sind.
Verstappen-Gehalt: Geld ist kein Problem für Mercedes

Dabei spielt Geld keine große Rolle. Das Trio soll bereit sein, für ihren Wunschpiloten den womöglich größten Deal in der Motorsportgeschichte vorzubereiten. Dazu muss man sich in Stuttgart noch nicht einmal extrem strecken. Grund: Das Hamilton-Gehalt von mehr als 50 Millionen Euro im Jahr steht 2025 genauso zur Verfügung wie ein Re-Investment der 104 Millionen Dollar Gewinn, den das deutsch-britische Team im Geschäftsjahr 2023 verbuchen konnte.

Dazu kommt: Mercedes will Verstappen einen gut dotierten, langfristigen Markenbotschafter-Vertrag anbieten, der den dreimaligen Weltmeister auch nach seiner aktiven Karriere an den Stern binden soll. Auch INEOS-Besitzer und Sportfan Sir James Ratcliffe (ihm gehört seit vergangenem Jahr Manchester United) will Millionen locker machen, um Verstappen zu bekommen. Ratcliffe gilt als einer der fünf reichsten Briten. Sein Vermögen wird laut der letzten Forbes-Studie auf 16,1 Milliarden Dollar geschätzt. Mit Prämien und Sonderzahlungen könnte Verstappen dann etwa 150 Millionen Euro im Jahr verdienen.

Wichtig dabei auch: Von den Mitarbeitern des Konzerns ist kein Gegenwind zu erwarten. Über 90 Prozent der rennsportinteressierten Angestellten wünschen sich Aussagen im Mercedes-Intranet zufolge den fließend deutsch sprechenden Seriensieger aus den Niederlanden als zukünftigen Formel-1-Piloten im Namen des Sterns.

Auch auf den anderen Ebenen soll Mercedes willens ein, Verstappen den roten Teppich auszurollen. Man sei sogar bereit, so hört man, Helmut Marko zu integrieren. Vor zwei Jahren wäre eine solche Konstellation angesichts der Dauerfehde zwischen dem Grazer Juristen und dem Wiener Wolff nicht möglich gewesen. Doch der Red-Bull-interne Machtkampf der thailändischen Mehranteilseigner mit Horner gegen die österreichische Fraktion rund um Marko haben alles geändert.

Fest steht: Die Chancen auf einen Wechsel stehen besser als erwartet. Emotional ist für den Niederländer die Entscheidung sogar schon gefallen. Der gesamte Verstappen-Clan hat sich klar gegen Horner und zu Marko bekannt. Die Atmosphäre sei vergiftet, berichten Insider. Der Niederländer muss jetzt abwägen, ob die sportliche Seite, die 2025 eher bei Red Bull einen weiteren WM-Titel garantiert, wichtiger ist als die Stimmung im Team.

F1-Insider.com weiß aber, dass man im Verstappen-Lager längst selbstbewusste Analysen anstellt, die besagen: Red Bull wäre ohne das Wunderkind aus den Niederlanden längst nicht mehr so gut, und ein Verstappen könnte, wenn das Auto nur ein wenig besser wird, auch schon 2025 im Mercedes um Siege mitfahren.

Verstappen zu Mercedes? Neues Reglement spricht dafür

Ein weiteres Argument pro Mercedes: 2026 kommt ein neues Motor- und Chassisreglement. Spätestens dann traut man Mercedes den nächsten Vorsprung durch Technik zu. So wie es 2014 war, als es die letzte große Motorrevolution den Stuttgarter Konzern zum Dauersieger machte.

Für die Experten jedenfalls bestehen keine Zweifel, dass man Verstappen haben muss, um auf Fahrerseite perfekt aufgestellt zu sein. „Wir erleben gerade eine besondere Phase, auf die man stolz sein muss, sie miterleben zu dürfen“, sagt zum Beispiel Nico Rosberg. (38). Der Weltmeister von 2016 glaubt sogar: „Max zählt schon jetzt zu den Größten aller Zeiten in unserem Sport. Es ist unglaublich, was er Wochenende für Wochenende abliefert.“
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Toto denied plans meeting Max, which was expected he would do that, but at the same time, essential players are on location (just in case :haha: ).