Can you fill me in?

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Can you fill me in?

Post by PTRACER »

Like I mentioned many times my interest in F1 waned a lot last year. So much that I don't even know what happened in testing or who is driving for what team this year.

I don't want to be deep-linked to threads with dozens of pages so appreciate if you could just answer here.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Driver wise, correct me if I'm wrong, but literally NOTHING changed?

And testing wise... Ferrari was fastest... But who knows in reality. Mercedes okay. RBR may well have the edge still.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 month ago And testing wise... Ferrari was fastest... But who knows in reality. Mercedes okay. RBR may well have the edge still.
In all three days or just fastest time overall? Is there much chance of a different champion this year?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 1 month ago
MonteCristo wrote: 1 month ago And testing wise... Ferrari was fastest... But who knows in reality. Mercedes okay. RBR may well have the edge still.
In all three days or just fastest time overall? Is there much chance of a different champion this year?
Fastest time overall. I think RBR was fastest day 1.

It might be interesting at the start. Maybe. But no doubt Ferrari will Fez it up.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 1 month ago
Max was fastest day 1 but then Ferrari the 2nd and final day. But they were using softer tyres than Red Bull who set their times on tyres that will be used this weekend.

Yes its a link, but I did a fairly short summary of testing in the Bahrain GP preview. opening post. viewtopic.php?t=18288
Scroll past the first paragraph which is a general blah blah, to the bit that starts ....
Whatever, the Prologue to the longest system ever was done and dusted. But what did we learn.

Red Bull might not have been the quickest. But they looked good. (Yes Foxtel and F1 combined to let us actually watch it on TV this year) Testing is a bit boring on TV to be honest. It did look good at times though.......
Its not that long and has actual test times and corrected "real world" times

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I always figured only the keenest of keen eyes could make sense of testing as everyone's on wildly different configurations and then there's the sandbagging of course. So I don't even bother. I wait for the green to drop on the first race because that's when the BS finally stops, as they say. I think even in the case of Brawn GP, no one could tell from preseason testing just how much pace they'd have in 2009 and they absolutely mopped the floor with everyone.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Actually I consider Brawn 2009 and McLaren 1998 to be the two times that I've seen testing and known what car was going to win the title.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Thanks for the updates guys, you've given me some enthusiasm where there was none when I woke up this morning. So I'll keep my fingers crossed for a weekend that isn't dominated by one driver or one team.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Well so far in the qualifying it looks like the other teams are closer to Red Bull than last year. So hopefully we'll get some better racing out of this season.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!