E.L.O

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

E.L.O

Post by PTRACER »

I played Mr. Blue Sky in the car to my wife the other day. I was surprised she never heard it before. Her first reaction? "At first I thought it was the Beatles but then I realised it couldn't be possible." Me and her both love the Beatles and given Jeff Lynne's association with them and John Lennon's comment that ELO are basically what the Beatles would have become if they'd continued, I thought her comment was very perceptive.

So now I'm trying to go through all their back catalogue. I have to say it's not as good as I expected. Mr. Blue Sky as a song is a music journey from start to finish. I get that feeling from practically every Queen song/album. But not yet with ELO.

Am I missing out on something? Tell me your recommendations.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

The only other ELO. song I can recall liking was Don't Bring Me Down, and I think (but I'm not sure) they were something to do with Xanadu that Olivia Newton John released, I liked that one too.

Altough I do like a lot of Beatles music, I never really got into ELO. As you say Mr Blue Sky is a classic, trouble is it gets into my brain and stays there, so I'm likely to be humming or singing it for a couple of days now. So thanks for that :tongue:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Star wrote: 3 months ago The only other ELO. song I can recall liking was Don't Bring Me Down, and I think (but I'm not sure) they were something to do with Xanadu that Olivia Newton John released, I liked that one too.

Altough I do like a lot of Beatles music, I never really got into ELO. As you say Mr Blue Sky is a classic, trouble is it gets into my brain and stays there, so I'm likely to be humming or singing it for a couple of days now. So thanks for that :tongue:
Mr Blueeee Skyyy...blue sky bluuuueee skyyyy blueeeee *sings* :P

And yep I heard about Xanadu but also had no idea E.L.O were behind it! I've listened to most of their albums now and find them a little weak in content tbh :( Some really good songs though.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

PTRACER wrote: 2 months ago
Star wrote: 3 months ago The only other ELO. song I can recall liking was Don't Bring Me Down, and I think (but I'm not sure) they were something to do with Xanadu that Olivia Newton John released, I liked that one too.

Mr Blueeee Skyyy...blue sky bluuuueee skyyyy blueeeee *sings* :P

And yep I heard about Xanadu but also had no idea E.L.O were behind it! I've listened to most of their albums now and find them a little weak in content tbh :( Some really good songs though.
Thank you so much, I love you too :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

GrandPrixYannick
Favourite Racing Car: BRM P261
Favourite Driver: Jackie Stewart, Max Verstappen
Favourite Circuit: Spa (the old one)
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Megane Coupe

Post by GrandPrixYannick »

Cannot say I'm so familiar with ELO either. I can name five out of my head:

Mr. Blue Sky, Don't Bring Me Down, Livin' Thing, Rock and Roll is King and Evil Woman.
The last one purely as a sample of Daft Punk's Face To Face (worth looking into, it's a sampling masterclass!)

I may have Xanadu before but I can't put my finger on it.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

GrandPrixYannick wrote: 2 months ago Cannot say I'm so familiar with ELO either. I can name five out of my head:

Mr. Blue Sky, Don't Bring Me Down, Livin' Thing, Rock and Roll is King and Evil Woman.
The last one purely as a sample of Daft Punk's Face To Face (worth looking into, it's a sampling masterclass!)

Livin' Thing, that is another one I like, but clearly I had forgotten it was ELO :blush:

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Check out Jeff Lynne - Live from Bungalow Palace.

Cool acoustic versions that add a little extra to the songs.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I have a soft spot for their Time album.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Star wrote: 2 months ago
GrandPrixYannick wrote: 2 months ago Cannot say I'm so familiar with ELO either. I can name five out of my head:

Livin' Thing, that is another one I like, but clearly I had forgotten it was ELO :blush:
  • Can't Get It Out of My Head
  • Hold On Tight
  • All Over the World
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

erwin greven wrote: 2 months ago
Star wrote: 2 months ago

• Can't Get It Out of My Head
  • Hold On Tight
  • All Over the World
Ooh, Hold On Tight, I forgot that one too and that's another one I like. Apparently I like more of their stuff than I first realised :blush: :haha:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I didn't expect much of a response to this thread! Actually quite a few songs listed that I don't know. Something for the commute into work tomorrow morning :)

Sweet Talkin' Woman is good.