F1 2026 STUFF NOT WORTHY OF IT'S OWN THREAD

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Mmmhh, kangaroo mince, yummy!

Mmmhh, kangaroo mince, yummy!
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

We have known from the release of plans for a complete new car and power unit regulation change for 2026 that the target was forr lighter more nimble cars but to date although lots of ideas have been aired..... until now the FIA has not really expanded on the more specific details of what is coming on the chassis side. Until now.....

As briefly mentioned in another thread the head of single seaters Nikolas Tombazis has now opened up more about where things are heading for 2026.. I felt that as we have a thread for the 2026 cars here it makes sense to discuss it here rather than a general / miscellaneous thread.

From Autosport is this article with the details of what Tombazis has outlined.
Revealed: The FIA's plans for "nimble" 2026 F1 cars and moveable aero

Smaller, lighter and more nimble machinery

One of the biggest complaints about the current cars is that they are so heavy. This not only makes them less responsive, but it is also punishing on tyres – which are critical to the spectacle.

As the FIA moves towards delivering the first draft of outline regulations by the end of next June, it is clear car dimensions are going to change for 2026.

Tombazis has explained that the basic layout of an F1 2026 car is defined and will be different to what we have

The cars will be shorter, with the wheelbase likely trimmed down to 3400mm from the current maximum 3600mm. The cars will also be narrower by 10cm, so will be reduced from 2000mm to 1900mm.

All of the above are aimed at helping the FIA deliver on one of its key targets – which is shedding a lot of bulk from the cars.

"We aim to have a significantly lower weight limit, and we are looking to reduce the weight limit by 40 to 50 kilos in 2026," said Tombazis.

"The way we want to do that is related to what we've termed the 'nimble car' concept, because we basically feel that in recent years the cars have become a bit too bulky and too heavy."

The smaller dimensions will automatically help with the weight, but another factor will be crucial as well: a reduction of downforce.

It will mean less load on parts, and that will mean teams will not have to make things so beefy.

"This lower downforce means that a lot of the loading on components, such as suspension, will reduce and that will enable the teams to reduce the weight consequentially," said Tombazis.

More savings will also come from F1 ditching the current 18-inch wheels.

Tombazis added: "We are tentatively aiming for wheels that are 16-inch wheel rims, with smaller wheel diameter and smaller width both front and rear. All of these things we believe are pushing towards a significantly lower weight."

Robust racing focus with less downforce

In aerodynamic terms, the FIA views the 2026 cars as an evolution of the concept that we have right now.

They will still be ground effect, and the hope is that the rules will be improved to ensure cars can follow each other.

This comes amid the recent admission that some loopholes were left in the current regulations that allowed teams to introduce designs that hurt the airflow to pursuing cars – such as outwash from the front wings.

As Tombazis said: "The 2023 season had a small worsening of the close racing features. The cars had degraded a bit in their ability to follow each other closely, and we think we understand why, how and what we need to do.

"We believe that for the next round [of rules in 2026] we'll achieve a much more robust close racing solution."

The plan is for less downforce and drag, and current simulations do not point to lap times being dramatically worse than they are now, although ultimately Tombazis says outright speed is not its biggest worry.

"It is really not a huge factor," he said. "It's going to be very close to now.

"I think we're going to be within a couple of seconds or something like that. But even if it was five seconds slower, we're not going to be sweating too much."

In terms of their looks, Tombazis says the 2026 cars will be similar to now.
"Somebody who knows about it will be able to see the differences, but they will look like F1 cars. On that, there wouldn't be any doubt."

Moveable aero and DRS plans

One of the step changes from the current cars will be the addition of moveable aero to help reduce drag on the straights.
There has been some uncertainty over how this will play out – and whether it will scupper the potential for DRS on the straights.
There was even talk of it being used to introduce a reverse form of DRS, where cars in front have to run more aggressive wing angles.

Tombazis has now clarified more about the F1 2026 ideas.

"There will definitely be a change of incidence of the wing on the straight to achieve the low drag," he said.

"But there will definitely not be any slowing down of the front car by some means. That simply wouldn't work."

In terms of DRS, plans have not been finalised – with the FIA weighing up several different ideas to deliver overtaking opportunities.

"There will be something equivalent to the current DRS, which will basically enable the following car that is within a certain limit to potentially get in a position to attack," he said.

"What form that mechanism will take: whether it will be an additional change of an aerodynamic component on the straight, or an additional change of the aerodynamic component in the corner, or whether it will be part of the energy of the engine....which of the three, we're still doing our best simulations to arrive to the best possible solution.

"What we don't want to have is cars basically diving past each other on the straight. We want cars arriving close to each other at the braking point and there being a fight, and drivers having to use their skill."

Tombazis says coming up with a DRS solution that is too effective, so can be tuned down, is a much better thing to have than going the other way and ending up with cars that cannot overtake.

"We will never want to make it too easy, but we also don't feel that we can say: 'Oh, well, it's not needed anymore'," he said.

"We can't risk arriving into a situation where overtaking becomes impossible again, or something like that. So we want to have it in the pocket and to use it moderately, but not highly.

"Overtaking must also be a fight. We don't want the cars just to drive past each other."

The unfounded "disaster scenario" fears

Talk of the 2026 regulation plans earlier this year was dominated by concerns from Red Bull about a potential for big problems on the horizon.

With the ICE element of the power unit going from around 550-560kw down to 400kw, and the battery element jumping from 150kw to 350kw, it was obvious that putting the future engines in the current cars would lead to battery power running out quite early on the straights.

And even with lighter cars, if drag was too high, places like Monza could be a challenge and force drivers to do weird stuff – like changing down gears on the straight – to try to get some recharging going.

Tombazis thinks those worries were unfounded and based on early simulation models that were far away from where things are at right now.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/revea ... /10557364/

Will the plans work, and will they have the effect on racing they hope for? The reality is whatever rules they set it wont be long before the Neweys of this world will unearth the loopholes or find alternatie ways of extracting performance with the likleyhood we will just have another set of issues to contend with.

It is good to read that they will be specifically ensuring the cars go on a diet. Probably not enough of a diet in my view and yes F1 cars will still be longer overall than a NASCAR.

Downside to me is they still see the need for DRS.... even if they call it something else along the lines of an adjustible wing or movable aero devise, if it involves a movable wing element that reduces drag it is still basically DRS.

What specifically would you guys like to see in the future

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

In re: problems with 2026 F1 (Frankenstein) car design
Red Bull's technical director Pierre Wache has said that the FIA cannot continue to 'put patch on patch on patch' by trying to improve the concept of 2026 cars.

A whole host of new regulations will be implemented into Formula 1 ahead of the 2026 season, with the aim being to improve racing while minimising the impact that the sport has on the environment.

Initial testing of the new cars have suggested that they will be uncomfortable to drive, with the 'nimble car concept' introducing alterations that notably include an increased reliance on active aerodynamics.
https://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view ... ar_design/

I am genuinly surprised to read this. I was under impression there is no need for any discussion, as relatively "smaller" car on form and weight to current design will need new aerodynamics without "patching" it up (as Wache characterized it). I think I am slowly beginning to understand why J. Key (Audi) announced that their car will be finalized only in 2027. I was not happy to hear that, but he is probably right as bad news are beginning to creep in.

Looks like the new era will bear some old problems. It could be really messy start and I am hoping they are not planning to repeat regulatory nightmare of 2014 and declare moratorium on development, regardless whether teams are done.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I wish they would learn from 2022/23 and just delay the regs a year. For me it's too soon to see changes - the convergence is happening, and we'll see a totally closed up grid just in time for it to change and spread massively.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

I think new PU needs new car. I hope they will give teams more freedom to set it all up.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Just starting to pay attention to the 2026 rules. A few notes:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1n2ibP

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/m ... r-AA1mDpfg

Comment: I think going slower on the straights is a good thing.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Ruslan wrote: 3 months ago Just starting to pay attention to the 2026 rules. A few notes:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1n2ibP

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/m ... r-AA1mDpfg

Comment: I think going slower on the straights is a good thing.
I was never able to visually detect whether car sped 280 or 350 [km/hr]. At those speeds it was all the same to me. It was just too short time interval to judge it. Speed was not on the top of my list. Anticipation of potential overtake between top three drivers and actually getting it done at some impossible places was all what made my day.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Im not saying this stuff shouldnt be here but we have a thread for the 2026 Chassis stuff which has been updated and added to over the past twelve months and has recently had stuff added. Its more the actual car and chassis stuff than than engine details.
Maybe it is easier to follow if we have all the info in one thread.

That existing thread is here: 2026 New Chassis Regs... **Smaller, lighter and more nimble cars targetted**

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always