Ferrari (2023 Movie)

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Ferrari (2023 Movie)

Post by PTRACER »

Looks alright. Anyone watched/going to watch it?

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I think I saw somewhere that it officially generally goes to air on jan 4th. I believe it might have gone to limited markets for subscribers in the US to HBO Max. It is clearly available to some already somehow. I did look at "the usual" streaming site for motorsport stuff and it wasnt there yet.

(They hae got the "Andrea Moda -The Craziest Team ever" movie though which I will get and have been looking forward to..)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 months ago I think I saw somewhere that it officially generally goes to air on jan 4th. I believe it might have gone to limited markets for subscribers in the US to HBO Max. It is clearly available to some already somehow. I did look at "the usual" streaming site for motorsport stuff and it wasnt there yet.

(They hae got the "Andrea Moda -The Craziest Team ever" movie though which I will get and have been looking forward to..)
YES! I really want to see the Andrea Moda film. It looks interesting. It's available to rent here: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/andreamoda

As for Ferrari, I see no release date for Japan unfortunately. It only came out yesterday in the UK. Might have to wait a little.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

PTRACER wrote: 4 months ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 months ago I think I saw somewhere that it officially generally goes to air on jan 4th. I believe it might have gone to limited markets for subscribers in the US to HBO Max. It is clearly available to some already somehow. I did look at "the usual" streaming site for motorsport stuff and it wasnt there yet.

(They have got the "Andrea Moda -The Craziest Team ever" movie though which I will get and have been looking forward to..)
YES! I really want to see the Andrea Moda film. It looks interesting. It's available to rent here: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/andreamoda

As for Ferrari, I see no release date for Japan unfortunately. It only came out yesterday in the UK. Might have to wait a little.
@PTRACER we have a thread on the Andrea Moda movie in the video area. viewtopic.php?t=18184

I just copied this post re the Moda stuff there

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

By "goes to air," do you mean streaming services? Will keep a watch on the "usual sites" post-Jan 4 then. As of now, had it released even to a limited VoD audience, it'd have landed up on the "usual sites" but hasn't.

I wanted to watch this movie in theater but though it was supposed to release "worldwide" on Dec 25, I don't see it listed in any theater here, nor is it in the "coming soon" sections. Not sure what's going on.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just saw this on youtube.....

True facts from the Ferrari movie with Piero Ferrari.
Uncover true facts from the Ferrari movie by Michael Mann. Get ready for an exclusive interview with Piero Ferrari, delving into game-changing moments, intriguing encounters, and the most profound curiosities surrounding his legendary father, Enzo Ferrari.

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Okay, seven minutes of true facts... does that mean that the rest of the probably two hours movie is bollocks? :happy:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 months ago Okay, seven minutes of true facts... does that mean that the rest of the probably two hours movie is bollocks? :happy:
:rofl:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 months ago Okay, seven minutes of true facts... does that mean that the rest of the probably two hours movie is bollocks? :happy:
Alternative facts.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Still not been able to find the movie but saw this come up......

FERRARI Behind the Scenes: Stunt Coordinator Robert Nagle

Robert Nagle is a veteran Hollywood stunt coordinator and driver whose film work includes John Wick, Baby Driver, Gran Turismo, Ford v Ferrari and many more.

His latest role was as the Stunt Coordinator for Michael Mann's FERRARI- the story of Enzo Ferrari's battle to save his family and his company as his cars compete in the 1957 Mille Miglia, the spectacular and deadly Italian road race.

FERRARI stars Adam Driver as Enzo Ferrari, Penelope Cruz as his wife Laura, and Patrick Dempsey as Piero Taruffi.

FERRARI footage and stills courtesy NEON Rated, LLC
Biscuit Jr. clips courtesy Allan Padelford and Robert Nagle

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 months ago Still not been able to find the movie but saw this come up......
Same. No mention of this in Japan at all. So far the release/marketing strategy has been about the level you would expect from Ferrari.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Yeah, I listened to that podcast a few days ago - quite interesting. I didn't know that guy was involved in so many big movies's stunts.

Regarding the movie, this one quote from a friend sort of dampened my enthusiasm. :down:
I didn’t expect the on-track footage to be satisfying and it lived down to my expectations. I haven’t seen as much “hunched over sawing at the steering wheel” since Mickey Rooney in 1949’s “The Big Wheel”. Five cars running mile after mile in a pack in an open-road endurance race that starts cars at one minute intervals? Don’t make me laugh. Okay, that did make me laugh.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Still not at our favourite torrent site :tearful: :sorrow:

Just read a review on it which talks of the good things and bad about the movie. I didnt realise he was such a dirty old man.... he had multiple mistresses, from floozies on the shop floor to Musso's girlfriend on top of the main mistress.

Not mentioned in the bad is the fact is that most of the cars seem to be replica bodies on Caterham chassis and mechanical bits. Lots of genuine cars get a mention in the good bits though. Even the kit cars were apparently great to drive though :smiley:
....Even though it’s about somebody who’s a public person, even if it’s from a true story, we should never forget when we see this kind of product that it’s fiction. I think it is normal that there may be things that did not necessarily happen like that in life. This is what Hollywood does.”

Does that mean you have to lower your standards to see Ferrari the movie? Maybe it means you just have to accept it for what it is, a movie. Yet even as such, it is still just about the most accurate reading on the life of Enzo Ferrari as you’re ever going to get in a full-blown Hollywood production. But that doesn’t mean we can’t pick nits. So here are our favorite truths and lies

The Good
The cars looked fantastic. Director Michael Mann knows his great Italian sports cars, and he took meticulous care to present them here, from the Maserati 450S to the Ferrari 315 S and 335 S, just as they raced in the Mille Miglia in 1957. Some of the cars you see are real, including the Ferrari 801 Grand Prix car that Eugenio Castellotti, played by Marino Franchitti, drives around the Modena Autodromo early on in the movie, and the Maserati GP car Derek Hill, playing Jean Behra, had driven shortly before that. For many of the recreations, the crew took laser scans of the bodies of real cars and sent them to a Modenese carrozzeria to have them painstakingly recreated for the screen. The new bodies were placed over Caterham chassis and drivetrains, which were, according to Hill, “Fantastic to drive.”

“There were real cars that we rented and then there were the cars that we built which are the principal cars,” said stunt coordinator Robert Nagle. “For the Mille Miglia we had built seven of them and then the rest were real cars that we rented. But the cars that were really run hard are the ones that we built.”

The drivers—Taruffi, Von Trips, Portago, Behra—were accurately chosen and portrayed.

“That was the best job I’ve ever had in my life,” said Patrick Dempsey, who plays Taruffi. “I was in Italy, driving cars at speed, and eating great food.”

Many of the racing scenes, particularly those shot from overhead using helicopters and drones, were exciting without looking fake, for the most part.

The ultimate shot of de Portago’s crash, for instance, took up a fair amount of budget.

“It was an amazing marriage of practical, special effects and VFX,” said Nagle of that one sequence. “We spent a lot of time trying to integrate what fades into what at what point and trying to stitch all that together.”

Penelope Cruz was fantastic and should get the Oscar for best supporting actress ever. Imagine being her character, Laura Ferrari, a public figure in her own right and an integral part of the company’s finances, but having to live with the knowledge that your famous husband was out philandering every day. Cruz channels all that anger into an intensity that should come with a warning label.

The fact that it was all shot in Italy instead of trying to make Southern California look Italian (or French) was great. Look at Ford v Ferrari and you see Le Mans set in Fontana, California, for instance. The Ferrari team took up residence in Italy for many months to get it all right, often shooting in the real locations from the 1957 race portrayed in the movie. Again, not everything was perfecto, but you’re never going to get anything this close to it again.

Enzo and Laura Ferrari had a complicated marriage. The loss of their only beloved son Dino when he was only 24 was devastating. As often happens in these situations, such a tragedy reveals cracks in the marriage that the couple might have been able to hide before. You really feel for Enzo when he visits his son’s grave. And you better understand Laura’s rage. This part of the film helps explain all the other parts.

The Bad
Many events in the movie were chronologically rearranged to fit the script. That might drive you nuts. But a big one towers above all the others. The whole premise of the movie is that if Ferrari the company doesn’t start selling more road cars it’ll be out of business.

“It is totally inaccurate,” said Dal Monte. “Maserati was in a bad financial situation in 1957, but not Ferrari by any means. Besides, the Mille Miglia is the second round of the Sportscar World Championship alongside Formula One, in which by the way, Ferrari has done well, because in 1956 Ferrari won the World Championship in Formula One with Fangio. So yes, the Mille Miglia is a very famous, very important race, especially for the Italians. But just like Le Mans, it is part of a larger championship series. And there is not a particularly hard time, financially speaking, for Ferrari. I understand that this could make a good story, but it’s not necessarily accurate.”

By the late 1950s Ferrari was not the extremely rich and profitable company it is today. But if you go back to that time, Ferrari had probably never done better in his life.

In 1957 or ‘58 it was the first time that Ferrari had ever made more than 100 cars a year. Italy was in the middle of an economic boom following the reconstruction of WWII, and Ferraris were sold everywhere, in Italy, in Europe, in America.

“So what I’m saying is no, it’s not a particularly hard time for Ferrari. It is, personally speaking of course, because his firstborn son died the year before. But economically speaking it’s not as bad as it could have been 10 years earlier.”

While Ferrari did strike a financial deal with Fiat, that wasn’t done until years later. The scene where Ferrari tells a reporter to say in his newspaper that Ford is interested in buying his company, even though that’s totally untrue, that story placement didn’t happen until six years after the movie takes place.

Alfonso de Portago is presented as begging Enzo for a drive in the 1957 Mille Miglia, when in truth he had been brought into the Ferrari team in 1953, driving both sports cars and Grand Prix entries, the latter where he garnered two second-place finishes.

The real Enzo Ferrari couldn’t speak English, and Adam Driver tries a little too hard to fake an Italian accent. It’s not as bad as Ferrari mistress Shailene Woodley, who looks and sounds more like a California surfer. At least they’re not all speaking with fake British accents. But what do you want, real Italian language throughout with English subtitles? How many people would go to see that? :thumbsup:

They never raced wheel-to-wheel for 1000 miles. “They were miles apart,” lamented Ferrari owner, Pebble judge, and the man who wrote his master’s thesis on the attempt by Ford to buy Ferrari, John Clinard. But it looks better in the movie if they do.

Enzo had way more than one mistress. He was a genuine hound dog, that Enzo. Historical reports have him pursuing female workers in his factories, among many other venues. The most famous other mistress may have been Fiamma Breschi, the beautiful Italian actress and girlfriend of Ferrari driver Luigi Musso. When Musso was killed driving a Ferrari in the French Grand Prix, Enzo swooped in, and they carried on a relationship till his death.

While he’s presented in the movie as an emotionless, cold-hearted tactician, the real Enzo had the ability to be charming (I think, from reading the big yellow book), to amass a great surrounding of friends, to schmooze, and that was how he built an empire. He wasn’t just the ruthless bastardo we see in this movie.
. https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/a4625 ... ari-movie/

Im still going to watch it with interest though!

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

But what do you want, real Italian language throughout with English subtitles? How many people would go to see that? :thumbsup:
We subtitle everything. That is why most Dutch people speak decent English, pretty good German, some French and a few other languages.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."