2024 Formula 1 car pre-season tests

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Fair play to Red Bull - they could have probably just wheeled out an RB19B and they'd have walked the championship, but Newey and crew have turned things on its head by coming up with some really fascinating design ideas. The vertical air intakes, the W14-esque airbox cannons (or whatever they're calling them) - it's a fascinating car. Possibly the greatest designer the sport has ever had is pushing the envelope rather than resting on his laurels. Great stuff.

If the car is fast then I am sure the folks at Milton Keynes will be amused that they've gone a different direction just as pretty much every other team gave up and tried to make an RB19 clone.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Star wrote: 2 months ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 months ago Jesus H Christ.

That thing be ugly, ugly, ugly.
It's not what it looks like that matters, it's how fast it goes, that's what really counts!! I agree, it's not a looker but on race day that isn't going to matter, is it? A beautfiful car that is slow will get many admirers, but an ugly car that wins will become beautiful in its own way I reckon.

I will admit that I like the fact they've kept the same livery, it's what I have come to expect of the Red Bull cars and you always know it's them because they always look the same. Well, that's my opinion anyway.
More the car than the livery, which as with all Red Bull Racing liveries is perfectly fine.

Those tall front wing end plates are horrible, and that engine cover bulge does not a beautiful race car make.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 months ago
Star wrote: 2 months ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 months ago Jesus H Christ.

That thing be ugly, ugly, ugly.
It's not what it looks like that matters, it's how fast it goes, that's what really counts!! I agree, it's not a looker but on race day that isn't going to matter, is it? A beautfiful car that is slow will get many admirers, but an ugly car that wins will become beautiful in its own way I reckon.

I will admit that I like the fact they've kept the same livery, it's what I have come to expect of the Red Bull cars and you always know it's them because they always look the same. Well, that's my opinion anyway.
More the car than the livery, which as with all Red Bull Racing liveries is perfectly fine.

Those tall front wing end plates are horrible, and that engine cover bulge does not a beautiful race car make.
I agree, the shape of the car is ugly, but like I say, in the end it won't matter if it is a winner. Any car needs to be fast and the way it looks comes second to that. You have to assume the end plates and engine cover bulge serve a purpose.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

TESTING TIMES AHEAD

OK we are into the pre season testing stage tomorrow. All three days of it.

At least we can watch car things rather than try to work out what Horner has sent to who and how suggestive were his suggestions. I dont buy the pics of bodyparts spoken of in some areas .of the press, if only a hope., More if only on the basis of no one could be that stupid. Can they? Maybe they can. Anyway it will be what will be, and Horner may or may not be running the team.

For the first time ever we have F1 testing being televised and streamed here in Aus. We have only ever had promises before, followed by disappointment. Now we have it happening I find I dont even feel excited about it. Maybe when it all goes live tomorrow I might be more excited about it. If only out of curiosity as to who seems to have found the most over the off season. I guess we will likely see how ugly the Red Bull is in real life, and are the sidepods as small as some seem to say they are.

Actually I guess that is one thing that intrigues me... is this talk of Red Bull doing their own version of size zero side pods. As we know Merc were conviced size zero was the way to go for a season and a half before throwing it all in the bin and going for a more conventional design.

Some questions .... when will we see answers. If we see answers?

Has Newey with all his wisdom and expertise found the secret tweak to make zero (ish) sidepods work. If anyone can it will be him.

Wiil Red Bull have found a new scret weapon and still be streets ahead?

Will Mercedes have found their Mojo and start the season on the right foot and running.?

Will Ferrari turn up with a car that is more driveable and driver friendly?

Wii McLaren have continued their tag of best improver from last year?

Will Williams have found more pace from their car?

Will STR / AT / VCARB call them what you will have turned up with an RB that looks similar to a Red Bull?

What about Alpine... will they continue to be mediocre? I cant imagine they wont be. :idunno:

Aston Martin were talking it big. Is that warranted?

Will we call Sauber Sauber, or will it be Mistake, maybe Kicking thmselves?
Will they be able to spot the Flow-Viz on their very green livery?

How will a Steiner lacking Haas go. Will they still be the tail end of the field?

Will Steiner be a Sky reporter / in an F1 expert pundit type role? I cant imagine a Steiner free paddock.

So when does testing start?

Tomorrow, Wednesday the 21 st Feb.

Yeah its crept up quick and the distractions in the offices have probably been the cause of that.
What will we see in terms of sandbagging, smiley faces and frowns. The uncertainty of who has found what in the way of progress over the off season might not be full apparent certinly on day 1. No doubt day 1 will be the usual mass of strakes, sensors and veritable scaffolding of paraphernalia to help gather data. Plus of course all the liveries they have spent squillions of developing will all be dowsed in flow-viz paint for more data.

Its at Bahrain International in the middle of the desert. Will we get perfect weather? We have seen this time of year in Bahrain not be all sun and perfect weather. We have seen testing grind to a halt because of sandstorms.

Its going to get underway at 10:00AM local time every day from tomorrow Wednesday 21st Feb and run through to 7:00 PM on Friday 23rd

Usual arrangement each team will have one car, and an array of drivers on duty fromrace drivers to reserve and rookie drivers.

What sort of times will we be looking to see.?

We saw a best time in Practice 1 at last years GP of 1:32.758 for Sergio in the Red Bull.

By qualifying we saw that speed up to a 1;29.708 from Max with Sergio a tenth shy.

Follow it here in this thread.

@erwin greven can you perhps edit the thread title to include pre season testing.

Find out who has done the best job, and maybe hope it isnt Red Bull again.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Bit insane there are now only 3 days of testing when they apparently have entirely new cars.

And then the cars are essentially bulletproof anyway once the season starts. Maybe one or two races of niggles at the start.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Let's make this interesting, what will be the first car to break down?
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Michkov wrote: 2 months ago Let's make this interesting, what will be the first car to break down?
It's got to be a broken Willy.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Max is designated to take a wheel first day of testing. Based on what happened quite often in the past, I wonder if that is lucky draw. He might spend some time in the garage, and/or dragging with him bunch of sensors. It's not going to be nice Sunday drive. Second day might be better.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Michkov wrote: 2 months ago Let's make this interesting, what will be the first car to break down?
The Ferrari was pictured on a flatbed last week.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Hamilton's Mercedes or the Ferrari he'll be driving next year, so Sainz's car.

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

The CashAppRacingBull when they forget to swipe the new corporate card through the machine.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Full testing driver line up by team and by session.:

Unfortunately lots of TBC's at this stage. Guess more will unfold tomorrow when it all kicks off.

Edit: a couple of updates since putting up the list

FERRARI
Wednesday: Charles Leclerc (AM) / Carlos Sainz (PM)
Thursday: TBA
Friday: TBA

ASTON MARTIN
Wednesday: Fernando Alonso (AM) / Lance Stroll (PM)
Thursday: Fernando Alonso (AM) / Lance Stroll (PM)
Friday: Lance Stroll (AM) / Fernando Alonso (PM)

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 months ago TESTING TIMES AHEAD

I guess we will likely see how ugly the Red Bull is in real life, and are the sidepods as small as some seem to say they are.

Actually I guess that is one thing that intrigues me... is this talk of Red Bull doing their own version of size zero side pods. As we know Merc were conviced size zero was the way to go for a season and a half before throwing it all in the bin and going for a more conventional design.

Some questions .... when will we see answers. If we see answers?

Has Newey with all his wisdom and expertise found the secret tweak to make zero (ish) sidepods work. If anyone can it will be him.

I brought up the topic of the talk of the Red Bull version of size zero-ish side pods.

Red Bull today admit its a work in progress but they seem uncertain as to its prospects. History as we know has shown that although the theory dounded good and we know Mercedes went to all ends. trying for a season and a half before reverting to a more usual sidepod set up.

Red Bull says jury out on whether it can make Mercedes-style F1 sidepods work

has gone aggressive with its car revamp for this year, which has included it adopting concepts similar to what Mercedes has run with in the past.

This includes the high gulleys along the engine cover, as well as minimalist sidepods which appear to include a vertical inlet that is reminiscent of the zeropod version Mercedes had at the start of last year.

There are also suggestions that Red Bull has an even more extreme sidepod solution being readied for cooler races in the early stages of the season when it could cut back even more on the airflow feeding its radiators.

Red Bull’s decision to pursue ideas similar to Mercedes has prompted a great deal of intrigue, but its motorsport advisor Helmut Marko has offered some words of caution about its approach.

He is well aware that while the zeropod solution offered brilliant performance figures in the wind tunnel, Mercedes found itself unable to extract that much from them in real life.

That is why he says this week’s test in Bahrain will be critical for the team in allowing it to work out whether or not its own idea can be used in reality.

Asked about Red Bull adopting a solution that Mercedes ultimately abandoned, Marko told Servus TV: “They were also convinced by the data of their sidepod-less concept, but in practice, it didn't work at all.

“We will now see in the tests whether we can successfully implement this solution, or let's say a similar solution.”

He added: “Adrian Newey [Red Bull’s chief technical officer] always favoured cars without radiators. But of course, the engine people can't do that. That is logical.
.https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/red-b ... /10577882/

Red Bull RB20 with sidepod inlet arrangement, inset

Something to watch with interest over the next three days. Will Red Bull succeed where Mercedes failed. Has Newey found the miracle fix that will fill the holes that the Merc attempt failed to find. :Idunno:

An update of todays driving schedules.

Who is driving when?

Here is the list of drivers for today:

Red Bull - Max Verstappen

Mercedes - George Russell

Ferrari - Charles Leclerc AM / Carlos Sainz PM

McLaren - Oscar Piastri AM / Lando Norris PM

Aston Martin - Fernando Alonso AM / Lance Stroll PM

Alpine - Esteban Ocon AM / Pierre Gasly PM

Williams - Alex Albon AM / Logan Sargeant PM

RB - Yuki Tsunoda AM / Daniel Ricciardo PM

Kick Sauber - Valtteri Bottas AM / Zhou Guanyu PM

Haas - Kevin Magnussen AM / Nico Hulkenberg PM

Anyway, testing has now started....Its underway.

As expected plenty of aero rakes in evidence

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

We saw a best time in Practice 1 at last years GP of 1:32.758 for Sergio in the Red Bull.

By qualifying we saw that speed up to a 1;29.708 from Max with Sergio a tenth shy.

Fernando in the Aston is already within a second of the P1 best..... he has done 11 laps and has done a 1:33.822.
Not sure what tyres he was on when he did his lap, or indeed how much fuel he had on board. Usual testing variables that make it hard to follow

Max has already had an off track moment, struggling in what are very low grip conditions with plenty of sand to be cleared. I know he is running hard tyres atm.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 months ago

If anyone can sort out the sidepod issue it's Adrian Newey :cool:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

An hour and 30 minutes left of the morning session and guess who is fastest...... Yes it is the Flying Dutchman. :roll: :suspicious:

Max did a 1:33.065, so within 0.8 of P1 in the Bahrain GP last year.

Mercedes are slow off the mark and sit 10th of the 10 drivers out running this morning. Near enough 3.5 off the pace. Of course way to early to make predictions for the year but it is an ominous sign with Max fastes. Ferrari and Aston both looking good and within just under 0.2 and 0.320 respectively. Then a second back to Piastri in the McLaren and a gaggle within half a second

Alonso and Yuki T lead the way on lap count, both on 38, just ahead of Max on 37. Merc only 19 so do thy have an issue. I havent been following that closely so dont know of any stories or problems.

Anyway, an update of the times set so far today.

POS DRIVERGAP TYRE LAPS
1 Max VERSTAPPEN1:33.065 37
2 Charles LECLERC+0.182 27
3 Fernando ALONSO+0.320 38
4 Oscar PIASTRI+1.294 20
5 Valtteri BOTTAS+1.366 31
6 Yuki TSUNODA+1.422 38
7 Alexander ALBON+1.522 36
8 Esteban OCON+1.953 32
9 Kevin MAGNUSSEN+2.627 32
10 George RUSSELL+3.477 19