Moveable wings

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Moveable wings

Post by PTRACER »

Saw the following post on Facebook about the 1968 Matra F1 car:
Max Rutherford wrote:The rear wing could pivot and was connected to the gearchange. The higher the gear the lower the wing angle, less drag down the straights. The two nose wings could move their angle as well independently to stop chassis roll and were connected to the front roll bar so they countered any roll with more pitch plus they also changed their angle up and down to stop nose pitch. Very clever people the Matra engineers. That car caught fire in the Tech Centre at 11pm the night before the race so we had to work through the night to patch it up and run down town to get some matching paint. It was a busy weekend but we won !!
I also read that the 1968 Ferrari 312 had a wing mounted over the driver's head which was attached to the brake pedal.

Were there any other cars using moveable wings in 1968? And what about in other forms of racing / other seasons?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago Saw the following post on Facebook about the 1968 Matra F1 car:
Max Rutherford wrote:The rear wing could pivot and was connected to the gearchange. The higher the gear the lower the wing angle, less drag down the straights. The two nose wings could move their angle as well independently to stop chassis roll and were connected to the front roll bar so they countered any roll with more pitch plus they also changed their angle up and down to stop nose pitch. Very clever people the Matra engineers. That car caught fire in the Tech Centre at 11pm the night before the race so we had to work through the night to patch it up and run down town to get some matching paint. It was a busy weekend but we won !!
I also read that the 1968 Ferrari 312 had a wing mounted over the driver's head which was attached to the brake pedal.

Were there any other cars using moveable wings in 1968? And what about in other forms of racing / other seasons?
I know that moveable aero wings were first banned at the end of 1969, long before the latterday ban of moveable aero devices earlier this millenium.

Talking of Matra this pic I had on my HD (that I know little of technically) of Jackie Stewart at the 1969 South African GP (going by #7) has an interesting cable looking device going to the strut mounting area where the wing would / could pivot from. Hardly subtle.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 months ago
PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago Saw the following post on Facebook about the 1968 Matra F1 car:

I know that moveable aero wings were first banned at the end of 1969, long before the latterday ban of moveable aero devices earlier this millenium.

Talking of Matra this pic I had on my HD (that I know little of technically) of Jackie Stewart at the 1969 South African GP (going by #7) has an interesting cable looking device going to the strut mounting area where the wing would / could pivot from. Hardly subtle.

Subtle, maybe not. Genius? Absolutely! And those wings produced a surprising amount of downforce. To have the nose wings AND the front aerofoil must have been indicative of a lack of front end on the Matra too, maybe?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Most of Jim Hall's Chaparrals had some sort of active aero. The high wings on the 2E/F/G where driver operated thanks to the lack of a clutch via the automatic transmission. In addition the cars had a front splitter that would operate in conjunction with the rear aerofoil to keep the balance. The 2H had some moveable diveplanes as well iirc, so had the early 917 langhecks.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I found an article from the Motorsport archives that was about the high wings era of th late sixties.. Much of it revolves around the tall wings and the accidents they caused of we we all know, but there is a section within about moveable versions of the wings.

I have highlightd the part about moveable devices but the whole article forms the context.

As an aside the article reinforces my thoughts on Chapman being more focused on the technology than safety and much of his 'reasons' are assumptions.
How F1's high-wing era came to a dramatic end

Fast, dramatic and fragile: how Formula 1's quest for higher and larger wings ended with two major crashes, 50 years ago

Graham Hill, with an adjustable high wing, leads Jo Siffert and Jackie Stewart in the 1968 Mexican Grand Prix

Fifty years ago, Lotus team-mates Graham Hill and Jochen Rindt survived two of the more spectacular shunts in Formula 1’s history.

Both suffered a sudden collapse of a ‘skyscraper’ rear wing as they crested a rise at Barcelona’s Montjüich Park on May 4, 1969.

Hill’s 49B pinballed between barriers but remained upright, its driver shaken but unhurt. Its wreckage, however, would compound Rindt’s accident.

The latter suffered a broken nose and cheek, facial cuts and a hairline skull fracture when his collided with its sister car and tipped over.

The crashes went some way to bringing the era of experimental, ungainly and spectacular high-winged cars. The opening chapter of aerodynamic aids in F1 had been short but far from sweet.

A relationship with Lotus team boss Colin Chapman, already straining after just five months, snapped when Rindt aired his dirty air in an open letter written while recovering from his crash landing.

He gave two fundamental reasons as to why newfangled wings should be banned:

“1 Wings have nothing to do with a motor car. They are completely out of place and will never be used on a road-going production car. Please note, I mean wings and not spoilers, which are incorporated into the bodywork… after all F1 racing is meant to be a serious business and not a hot rod show.

2 Wings are dangerous, first to the driver, secondly to the spectators. When wings were first introduced to F1 racing at Spa last year they were tiny spoilers at the front and the back of the Ferraris and Brabhams [for whom Rindt was driving at the time.] They had very little effect except at high speed, when they were working as a sort of stabiliser. This was a very good effect and nobody thought any more about it until…”

Enter Chapman.

As he had been when F1 put its horse behind the cart 10 years previously, Chapman was slow to mine the sport’s new performance parameter. When finally he got to grips with wings, however, his aerofoil overshadowed all others: almost as wide as the rear track and 4ft tall, it was mounted on two spindly struts without triangulation that were attached to the uprights.

A young and inexperienced Jackie Oliver, already in the impossible position of replacing the late great Jim Clark in the category’s fastest car, was not entirely convinced.

“I was the guinea pig,” he says. “The first time I saw the aerofoil on my car was at Rouen [for the 1968 French GP]. It was bigger than Graham’s and I was suspicious.

“So I gave it a little push sideways and it went ‘Wong! Wong! Wong!’ on rubber bushes. Colin said, ‘Look, lad, when a 707 takes off, its wings sag. They have to so they don’t break.’

“I don’t know for sure what caused my accident. Dickie Attwood saw me in his mirrors and moved to let me through. We swapped sides at 180mph. It was a strong manoeuvre and I think that, plus his BRM’s turbulence, caused a strut to fail. Downforce became lift and I lost control.

“When the dust settled I thought I was in heaven because I could see these large wrought-iron gates (below). Actually that was something I said later. I didn’t have that thought at the time. Colin said I was as white as a sheet.”

Chapman surmised for a time that gearbox had been torn from engine by wing. In fact Oliver had struck the curving abutment to those gates.

The new forces were being both over- and underestimated.

Peter Wright, who almost 10 years later would seal ground effect for Lotus, says: “Colin had an instinct – later backed by a bit more science – as to why something should work. If he believed in it, he’d stick with it.

“But we were in an unknown area and didn’t have the tools. Had we known more we would have been scared stiff. Calculations – best estimates – were slow but the need for a wing was pressing.”

Jacky Ickx’s win for Ferrari at Rouen – the first for an F1 car equipped with a rear aerofoil – ensured that the warning signs would go unheeded by F1’s ‘unreasonable men’.

“The car jumped from one side of the track to the other. That’s how it was then.”
Matra introduced a feathering system using levers operated by a solenoid energised by a contact beneath the brake pedal.

Brabham (below) fitted hub-mounted wings front and rear.

And Lotus – the tallest tree in the forest – went driver-adjustable just prior to the championship-decider in Mexico City. Its method was low-tech: Bowden cable attached to a fourth pedal pulling against bungees that otherwise held the wing shut.

One bungee snapped early in the race. Fortunately the other held – “It was a bit hairy” – and Hill became world champion a second time.

Lotus suffered several more rear wing failures – at Australia’s Lakeside, Kyalami and Brands Hatch – in the early part of 1969.

Even pragmatic Brabham – its hand forced by Chapman’s unchecked development in an unexplored area – suffered them.

“Everybody was experimenting,” says Wright, then at BRM. “Tasked with a self-adjusting wing, mine was electro-hydraulic. John Surtees did a couple of laps before pressing its button on the steering wheel. He came straight back in: ‘Hmm, interesting. The car jumped from one side of the track to the other.’ That’s how it was then.”

For this is what it took to win now.

And Rindt was desperate to win finally in F1.

So he watched bemusedly as mechanics rushed to widen his wing (by 12in) and add a trailing lip to its central section using aluminium sheet and polystyrene from packing cases (below).

Chapman pointed out that he was not breaking any rule. There was none to break indeed.

Rindt qualified on pole; Hill lined up third. But Chapman was unsatisfied. Bigger was faster and so he was furious to discover that the last piece of aluminium sheet had been used for another purpose.

Rindt led, too, but that wing-on-a-prayer soon began to sag and fold.

A spectating Hill sent warning word. Too late.

The governing body was inclining to agree with Rindt. That the wing on Ickx’s Brabham had exploded and scattered like confetti directly in front of its officials in Barcelona probably clinched it.

Its Commission Sportive Internationale evoked a ‘safety clause’ during the subsequent Monaco GP to have the times set in first practice annulled and the wings removed overnight and for the remainder of the meeting.

“There was a sigh of relief,” says driver Derek Bell. “Today’s F1 has the halo. Back then cars had a ‘guillotine’ on the front!”

Not everyone was behind the ban – as you’ll see in the editor’s note to the Motor Sport race report – and, in any case, this genie was out of its bottle

The new rules were woolly: smaller, lower wings to be part of the bodywork and fixed.

And the teams’ interpretations of them were, according to Denis Jenkinson’s Dutch GP report for Motor Sport, either honest, cheating or stretching the imagination.

It was cruel irony that Rindt should crash fatally during practice for the 1970 Italian GP in a Lotus 72 voluntary shorn of all wings.

He had been right though: racing is the poorer for wings.

Just ask Wright.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... matic-end/

Interesting changes between the pics of cars in the Spanish GP above. With Monaco the following race being the developmnt anomaly that Monaco is, the cars looked very different come Zandvoort, the next race.

Strangely enough very little is made of the changes in the Dutch race report.... or more interest was the sand, wind, its direction, the difficulty of oveertaking, the dreadful timing and technicallyhow much the brakes are being improved.

Its totally off the topic of moveable wings but this segment I quote does talk of a circuit where overtaking and following is difficult. I always thought that a more modern disease.
.....If it is looked at closely it shows up in a very different light, being far from satisfactory on many counts. Many of the deficiencies of the Zandvoort circuit and the Dutch organisation have been with us for a long time but in the general excitement of the meeting have been overlooked and forgotten until the next time, or they have been accepted as part of the scene.

The circuit is an artificial one, constructed in sand dunes, and one tends to forget that the road surface is covered by a fine layer of sand, but it was brought home forcibly just before the race when Prince Bernhard of Holland landed alongside the starting line in a helicopter. The rush of air from the rotor raised sand from the track surface in a miniature storm, yet previously the road had looked completely dry and smooth. This sandy property of the track invariably upsets someone’s handling calculation, and many a driver has been content with his car at Monaco for example, and then found he doesn’t like the feel of it at Zandvoort.

The shape of the circuit, like so many, is great fun and very satisfying to drive round if you are on your own, but tiresome if you are behind a competitor who is nearly as fast as you, for if the man in front does not deliberately make room there is nowhere to overtake except down the finishing straight, or under braking for the large-radius hairpin bend at the end of it.

Every year you see someone holding up a group of cars for lap after lap, so that there is a tight procession until someone is brave enough to pass under braking past the pits. The sweeping curves round the back of the circuit are such that it is a case of follow-my-leader through them, there being no straight bits in between the curves to allow overtaking.

Qualifying

Jochen Rindt set the fastest time in qualifying

With today’s Grand Prix cars generating more and more cornering power and taking the curves faster and faster there is less room than ever for passing. If two equal cars are battling it is true to say that the outcome will be decided on braking at the end of the finishing straight. In practice this fact could clearly be seen by watching Siffert, Hill, Rindt or Stewart braking well past the 200-metre signboard from 170mph, while other drivers were braking before 250 metres.

Another problem from which the Zandvoort circuit suffers, but about which nothing can be done, is the perpetual wind. Lying within sight of the North Sea the wind blows either off the sea, which is across the finishing straight from left to right, from the land which means from right to left, or it turns through ninety-degrees and blows directly down the straight and with such a force that fast lap times are invariably recorded under these conditions.

This year’s race followed this pattern, with most of the fastest times being made on Friday morning while the wind was turning from seaward to landward; once it had turned there was little chance of Rindt losing his pole position.

The time recording at Zandvoort is done electrically by a beam across the track that records the time of a car passing very accurately to two places of decimals. Visual observation by timekeepers provides the order of cars passing and other timekeepers analyse the instrument recordings and tie them up with each car. Almost every year this system breaks down at some point, sometimes seriously, other times not so seriously, but this year was a serious occasion.

In the second practice session of the meeting, on Friday morning, with a following wind, Rindt recorded a best ever of 1min 20.85sec, trying all he knew and looking pretty wild and uncontrollable. This was pole position by quite a margin as the previous best time had been 1min 21.50sec by Stewart the day before with a cross wind. Shortly before the Friday morning session ended Stewart went out in the second of the MS80 Matras to try and retrieve his position and after a number of laps at just over 1min 21sec his pit signalled him 1min 20.9sec and then he came in having done all he could.

The official times are bound to appear some time after a car has stopped as the timekeepers have to do calculations and when they had done them they gave Stewart 1min 20.41sec. It was received with disbelief by everyone, Stewart and Matra included, and by this time rain had started to fall, and the lunch break began. Later the timekeepers withdrew the 1min 20.41sec for Stewart and substituted 1min 21.14sec, leaving Rindt with pole position, but once again everyone had lost faith in the timekeeping, which was most unsatisfactory.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Happened to be reading through the Motorsport Mag 1968 Mexican GP Race report (as you do) and I noticed mention of movable wings.... it mentions what it is and how it is operated.
The final round of the F1 World Championship Grand Prix season for 1968 took place at the Mexico City circuit in the outskirts of this huge city. The cars had been sent down by road from the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen which took place four weeks earlier. The delay between the United States and Mexican Grands Prix was more than usual this year, due to the Olympic Games finishing on the date traditionally reserved for the final championship round.

Team Lotus had three cars for Hill, Oliver and Solana. The car Oliver crashed at Watkins Glen had been repaired and on Hill’s car the wing had been hinged so that it could be feathered down the straight. The operation of the wing was simple, rubber bungees held the wing in a working position, while a slim pedal beside the clutch pedal operated the wing when the driver rested his clutch foot. The full travel of the wing pedal brought it to just the start of the clutch pedal travel.

Another couple of references relating to issues in practice /
....The third of the team Lotus cars for Solana was without wing or nose spoilers all day and was used by Hill for most of his practising, while his race car did only a limited number of laps with its movable wing in the fixed position.

This led to speculation among the other teams and it wasn’t long before most teams had removed their wings to see what difference they made to lap times. In all cases the results were similar to sea level with improved speed on the straights, but lap times were down......

.....Lotus were having trouble with their movable wing and also they had to fit stays from the wing uprights to the roll-over bar to stop the whole wing leaning backwards. Solana did a few laps in his own car, while Oliver tried very hard to make up for his disappointing first practice; whilst improving his time to 1min 48.44sec he spun and tore off the exhaust pipes when he touched an earth bank at the Esses.....
Interesting final comment in the race report:
So the season is again closed until the grand prix circus get together again at Kyalami on March 1st, 1969. Let’s hope that next year reliability creeps back into F1 racing, as the rate of attrition in the last four races has been far too high. Mexican hospitality and the weather being what it was, much of the wet, dull racing earlier in the year is easily forgotten, and 1968 will be remembered as the “Year of the Wing”.

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

"Let’s hope that next year reliability creeps back into F1 racing, ..."

Interesting. Today, you often read about F1 fans harking back to the days when reliability wasn't that great...
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michael Ferner wrote: 6 months ago "Let’s hope that next year reliability creeps back into F1 racing, ..."

Interesting. Today, you often read about F1 fans harking back to the days when reliability wasn't that great...
9 finishers and 12 mechanical DNFs in that race .... 3 ignition failures, 3 Suspension failures, 2 overheating , I water pump failure,1 lost oil pressure, 1 wing failure, 1 engine failure
Previous race (US): 6 finishers, 2 DNS (I mechanical, 1 accident, 13 DNFs
Canada : 6 finishers 15 DNF's
Italy 6 finishers, 14 DNFs
Germany it reversed.... 14 finishers, 6 DNFs
Britain 8 finishers, 15 DNFs, (+1 finished, not classified)!

etc.

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 months ago Germany it reversed.... 14 finishers, 6 DNFs
Interesting, considering the conditions...

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michael Ferner wrote: 5 months ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 months ago Germany it reversed.... 14 finishers, 6 DNFs
Interesting, considering the conditions...
One of the finishers (in 10th) was Hubert Hahne in a Lola BMW which I presume would be an F2 car. He finished 10 minutes behind Stewart. (but only 6 minutes behind Hill in 2nd) :haha: He was also the last one on the same lap as the winner
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Ferner

Post by Michael Ferner »

No, the Lola/BMW was a 2-litre.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

It was raining & foggy at Nurburgring in 1968. Maybe that's way the mechanical attrition was somewhat lower than elsewhere that season.

Vic Elford seen climbing out at 0:44 from lap 1 accident. Looks like a mere spin and got stuck on the kerb? Definitely not a high wing mounted on that Cooper.

The wing-less Hahne's Lola sighting moments before.

07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I dug out th Motorsport Mag report of the race by David Jenkinson. A great and detailed report. It indeed confirms the Hahne car as Michael said, to be a 2 litre
".....From Munich had come a lone works BMW car, driven by Hubert Hahne, it having a Lola chassis and the powerful 2-litre radial-valve BMW engine,....."
It also covers the "Moveable' wing mounted to one of the Matras
The works Matra team had their two 12-cylinder cars for Beltoise to use, the prototype having the six-pipe long exhaust system, and the newer car having a short four-pipe system, in line with Ferrari, BRM and Eagle thinking. The number two car was fitted with an “aerofoil” across the rear, mounted directly on to the chassis and it was pivoted so that the angle of incidence could be altered while in motion. The movement was effected electrically by a solenoid and a system of levers, the solenoid being energised by a circuit that was closed when the brake pedal was depressed. (For further details read Continental Notes).
Bugger it.... the race report is such wonderfully and detailed stuff here it is in all its glory. You should b abl to read it by clicking on the thumbnails. They dont write them like this anymore, sadly.

Interestingly, as an indication of how bad the weather was, and the way we moan that current day 'Health & Safety wont let the. cars on track if more than a drizzle of rain happens.... well the. rain and fog was so bad that one of the sessions was cancelled..... To give the tens of thousands of spectators something for their trouble in the absence of cars circulating alternative arrangements were made:
,As the cars returned to the paddock without so much as a lap of the “pits-loop” having been made, someone suggested that the drivers should challenge the team-managers to a game of football on the starting area in order to give the public some form of entertainment, for the crowds were remarkable in spite of the weather.
Anyway the article. If anyone has trouble reading it let me know and I will put it up longhand . In the meantime hopefully you will have something legible like this. Not sure it will work on a phone or. iPad!
First page is the "Continental Notes" from the Magazine Editorial section mentioned above with details of moveable wings . It interestingly dispels the myth that the first moveable wing was first used on Jim Hall's Chapparal. It wasnt, instead two Swiss Guys back in the mid fifties beat Jim to it by a few years. @PTRACER @Michkov)

"Continental Notes" continues on the right lower half of this following page

OK that out of the way here is the race report

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

@Everso Biggyballies Thanks for the articles, I've heard about Michael May's 1956 Porsche Spyder wing but didn't remember it was moveable. Those cars weren't very fast so I wonder how much difference it actually made?

About the 1968 season - were Matra and Ferrari the only teams to have moveable wings or did the other teams have them too?

And while on the subject of aerodynamics, when they switched from high to low wings in 1969, did it reduce the downforce by much?

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote: 5 months ago About the 1968 season - were Matra and Ferrari the only teams to have moveable wings or did the other teams have them too?
Lotus certainly used adjustable high wings, not sure about low.

PTRACER wrote:
And while on the subject of aerodynamics, when they switched from high to low wings in 1969, did it reduce the downforce by much?
I found some numbers by Peter Wright which refer to downforce in pounds at 150mph through the years. That mentions in 1968 the number to be 1000 lbs.

The numbers did not show 1969 when the low wings replaced them, but the downforce numbers were still lower that that in 1976. The early high wings had little shape to them, being fairly plank-like. As wings developed they took on a more contoured aeroplane wing like shape which aided downforce.

Those (Peter Wright) numbers by year are:
1968: 1000lbs@150mph - high wings
1976: 800lbs@150mph
1978: 2000lbs@150mph
1980: 3000lbs@150mph
1981: 2300lbs@150mph - skirts banned
1982: 2500lbs@150mph
1983: 2000lbs@150mph - flat bottom
1986: 2500lbs@150mph
1992: 3500lbs@150mph - peak downforce
1995: 1800lbs@150mph - stepped floor, smaller wings
2000: 2600lbs@150mph

The peak downforce year of 1992 was of course less about wings as succh and more about the car shape and in particular suspension control.... remember 1992 was the year of active suspensionin its ultimate form before being banned. After 1992 active suspension was banned and I believe wing sizes also reduced in size and heights were governed front and rear, ... and general regulations floors became more controlling.

In effect early wings pushed the car to the ground whereas as later on as knowledge and wind tunnel / CFD se increased, floors and tunnels etc became the tools of downforce.... by then the wing / floor and basic ground effect principles sucked the car to the ground rather than pushing it to the ground.effect .