IT'S YEEE-HAW TIME.... Off to the Star Spangled Land of the Brave for the 2023 USGP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Michael Ferner wrote: 6 months ago
Aty wrote: 6 months ago(...) I have my soft spot for Mr. Sauber (...)
Is he still involved? My, he must be pushing on a bit!
Truthfully said, I don't know extend of his involvement, but I doubt there is any. Some time ago he admitted that he stopped going there after Monisha Kaltenborn has taken over. He was not a happy soul in those days due to MK's management style, especially incident with drivers. He had occassional beer with a few former employees on the outside, but that's about full extend of his links with a company we know about. Very upright and honest man.
We Are Addicted to a Sense of Crisis.
Rory Stewart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 6 months ago
.....I am not a fan (never was) of McLaren, but they might very well be voted most improved team this year. Despite his departure from the team, I wonder how much credit J.Key could claim on their success. After all, he was there when this car was still in development stage. I hope to read one day when anger has passed, what really was going on with him when he was working there......
In relation to Keys involvement and departure from McLaren let us not forget that his role in the car was last year.... as soon as 'his' car was released and ran at testing McLaren admitted straight away even before the first race . In fact I believe they knew they had missed their aero objectivs before the car. had even turned a wheel on the test track mentioning its weaknesses at the launch of the car.
The 2022 MCL36 was also known to be rather draggy, which forced the team to make trade-offs between top speed and optimum downforce levels.

It led to aerodynamic efficiency to be one of the priorities to address for this year, but soon after putting together the launch spec of the new MCL60 McLaren realised it had gone in the wrong direction and left a lot of performance on the table.

It will have now to wait until its first major upgrade package can be put on the car - which is planned for the Baku round at the end of April - to catch up.

Stella, who has replaced the departed Andreas Seidl as team principal, says there isn't one reason why McLaren has struggled with efficiency for two years in a row, but that it ties in with the overhaul of the Woking headquarters' infrastructure.

"I wouldn't say there's a specific deficit in some areas, it's various reasons,
The planned upgrade ended up larger than planned and didd not arrive until Austria. Since then they have in effect a B car completely removed from what Key had given them. Further upgrades have given even better turnaround. I guess what I am saying is whatever Keys came up with is in the dumpster now and the Mk 2 version seems to not have the flaws he left McLaren with. No wonder McLaren 'released' him. (their words)! Glad to see the back of him I suspect.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 months ago
Aty wrote: 6 months ago
.....I am not a fan (never was) of McLaren, but they might very well be voted most improved team this year. Despite his departure from the team, I wonder how much credit J.Key could claim on their success. After all, he was there when this car was still in development stage. I hope to read one day when anger has passed, what really was going on with him when he was working there......
In relation to Keys involvement and departure from McLaren let us not forget that his role in the car was last year.... as soon as 'his' car was released and ran at testing McLaren admitted straight away even before the first race . In fact I believe they knew they had missed their aero objectivs before the car. had even turned a wheel on the test track mentioning its weaknesses at the launch of the car.
The 2022 MCL36 was also known to be rather draggy, which forced the team to make trade-offs between top speed and optimum downforce levels.

It led to aerodynamic efficiency to be one of the priorities to address for this year, but soon after putting together the launch spec of the new MCL60 McLaren realised it had gone in the wrong direction and left a lot of performance on the table.

It will have now to wait until its first major upgrade package can be put on the car - which is planned for the Baku round at the end of April - to catch up.

Stella, who has replaced the departed Andreas Seidl as team principal, says there isn't one reason why McLaren has struggled with efficiency for two years in a row, but that it ties in with the overhaul of the Woking headquarters' infrastructure.

"I wouldn't say there's a specific deficit in some areas, it's various reasons,
The planned upgrade ended up larger than planned and didd not arrive until Austria. Since then they have in effect a B car completely removed from what Key had given them. Further upgrades have given even better turnaround. I guess what I am saying is whatever Keys came up with is in the dumpster now and the Mk 2 version seems to not have the flaws he left McLaren with. No wonder McLaren 'released' him. (their words)! Glad to see the back of him I suspect.
From above I gather Key is then not an ace winning card for Sauber. The thing is, Andreas Seidl is no fool, and I doubt he would hire JK based on soft heart and sentiment alone. He must have more details than we do.
Rory Stewart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

This news didnt take long to come through..... several drivers complained over the state of the track, Max even saying it was not up to F1 standards. Anyway it is to be resurfaced. My understanding is that given the circuit was built on marshland, and the bumps returning is the lack of stability in the over land package. Like building on a jelly. Anyway they are going to throw another layer of tarmac at the place.

‘Bumpy’ COTA to undergo second major resurfacing in two years

The Circuit of The Americas is to undergo its second major resurfacing early next year as it again tries to eradicate the bumps that have made it “better suited to a rally car”, according to three-time F1 champion Max Verstappen.

Following his third consecutive victory at the Texas track, Verstappen complained that it was ‘not up to F1 level’ in terms of the surface, with Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris in agreement.

The bumps have long been a problem at COTA since the track opened 11 years ago given it was built on marshland 14 miles south-east of Austin, leading to undulations in the surface over time.

Following complaints by both drivers and riders after the 2021 grand prix and MotoGP event, the circuit was partially resurfaced from Turns 2-10, and Turns 12-16.

Yet less than two years on, the F1 drivers again suffered due to the unevenness around COTA. Red Bull driver Verstappen said: “The bumps and jumps that we have in some places, it’s way too much.

“I love this track, honestly, the layout is amazing, but we definitely need new Tarmac.”

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I didn't know where to put this, but it looks like Mexico is in a real mess at the moment with hurricane Otis. I don't know if it will end up affecting the race or not, but you never know how these things can change direction or whatever and end up where no one expected them
Mexico is on "maximum alert" as unexpectedly strong Hurricane Otis made landfall at a tourist hot spot on Tuesday night.

The tropical storm hit the resorts of Acapulco and Zihuatanejo, to the south west of the country, at the most catastrophic storm rating - Category 5.

Videos on social media show cars submerged by flash flooding, patients being buffeted by winds in hospital corridors and hotel sheets and mattresses being blown around.

Otis had been rapidly gaining strength and speed throughout Tuesday, gaining 80mph in a 12-hour period.

It became the fastest intensifying hurricane in Eastern Pacific history, according to Phil Klotzbach, a research scientist in the atmospheric science department at Colorado State University.

Usually, rapid intensification for hurricanes means the storm’s maximum sustained winds increased by at least 35mph in 24 hours or less, CNN reports.

The winds of up to 165mph near Otis’ core are “extremely destructive,” the hurricane centre warned early on Wednesday and can stretch up to 30 miles from the storm's path.

The National Hurricane Centre said on X, formerly known as Twitter: "Otis is forecast to be a potentially catastrophic Category 5 hurricane when it reaches the southern coast of Mexico with life-threatening winds and catastrophic storm surge."

Between five to 20 inches of rain are forecast, bringing fears Otis will cause flash and urban flooding plus landslides, the hurricane centre said, according to CNN.

Otis is also forecast to create storm surge that will likely whip up “large and destructive waves” and life-threatening coastal flooding around the area where it made landfall.

"We’re on maximum alert,” Acapulco Mayor Abelina López said on Tuesday night as she urged residents to move to the city’s shelters.

“This is an extremely serious situation for the Acapulco metropolitan area with the core of the destructive hurricane likely to come near or over that large city early on Wednesday,” the hurricane centre said.

“There are no hurricanes on record even close to this intensity for this part of Mexico.”
Nine dead and rescue mission underway after church collapse in Mexico

Now a Category 4 storm, the hurricane is expected to continue to weaken quickly in Guerrero state’s steep mountains.

Otis was about 25 miles northwest of Acapulco when its winds began decreasing to 130mph and moving at 10mph.

The hurricane is expected to move further inland over southern Mexico through Wednesday night.

It is thought it could be more devastating than Hurricane Pauline, which hit Acapulco in 1997, destroying swathes of the city and killing more than 200 people, López said. Hundreds of others were injured in flooding and mudslides.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-10-25/mex ... 98232387-1
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Interesting photo of a Merc a Ferrari and a Red Bull going through the same dcorner. Ferrari and Merc bottoming out and the RB you cn see daylight under the RB. Sort of says the Red Bull set up conservatively knowing the track was bumpy, and with two races and a qualy from when the cars went into parc ferme it was the right choice.

Of course the fact that those two cars at lest were set up lower than the Red Bull implies that they would have gained performance all weekend from qualy on over say Max. I did suggest that the ride height fact may have been a factor in Max's seeming lack of pace. Seeing as we know Norris also passed the ride height / plank test might have been influential on Norris getting through rubber quicker than in particular the Mercedes of Hamilton. Raised ride height we know reduces downforce which in turn means less aero grip meaning the grip has to come from mechanical grip which primarily is settings and Tyres. The need for mechanical grip to compensate for loss of aero grip would I believe increase the tyre wear.

Anyway interesting pics. If you dont see all the image (ie the critical area on the Red Bull,) click on the image. If you are looking on a big screen it wont be an issue

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 months ago Interesting photo of a Merc a Ferrari and a Red Bull going through the same dcorner. Ferrari and Merc bottoming out and the RB you cn see daylight under the RB. Sort of says the Red Bull set up conservatively knowing the track was bumpy, and with two races and a qualy from when the cars went into parc ferme it was the right choice.

Of course the fact that those two cars at lest were set up lower than the Red Bull implies that they would have gained performance all weekend from qualy on over say Max. I did suggest that the ride height fact may have been a factor in Max's seeming lack of pace. Seeing as we know Norris also passed the ride height / plank test might have been influential on Norris getting through rubber quicker than in particular the Mercedes of Hamilton. Raised ride height we know reduces downforce which in turn means less aero grip meaning the grip has to come from mechanical grip which primarily is settings and Tyres. The need for mechanical grip to compensate for loss of aero grip would I believe increase the tyre wear.

Anyway interesting pics. If you dont see all the image (ie the critical area on the Red Bull,) click on the image. If you are looking on a big screen it wont be an issue
I'd also like to add that Alonso dropped out with floor damage. So the AM likely had this issue as well.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

Hamilton claims 'several' cars illegal after US GP disqualification

Lewis Hamilton has claimed that several other cars breached the technical regulations and were illegal after the United States Grand Prix.

The seven-time World Champion crossed the line in second place but was disqualified from the classification alongside Ferrari's Charles Leclerc for excessive plank wear beyond the tolerated 1mm allowance.

This was found in the extra random checks the FIA performs to ensure legality with the regulations as it cannot check every part on every car after every race owing to the sheer time this would take.

However, this has drawn criticism after two of the four cars - 50% of the sample - failed the check, leading to the idea that some cars which were in an illegal condition 'got away' with it as they were not checked.

Mercedes has acknowledged that it made an “understandable mistake” and has vowed to take a more conservative approach at bumpy tracks which are similar to the Circuit of the Americas.

But Hamilton believes that there were more than just two cars that should have been disqualified from the results.

"I've heard from several different sources that there were a lot of other cars that also were illegal, but they weren't tested so they got away with it," he told media including RacingNews365 in Mexico ahead of the Mexico City Grand Prix.

"I've been racing here 16 years, there's been times when there's been many other scenarios like this where some people got away with certain things and some people have just been unlucky that they got tested."

As part of the F1 Sprint regulations, the cars are set in parc fermé conditions as they roll out for the start of qualifying, meaning the teams can't make any major changes to the set-up without incurring a penalty.

Hamilton has called for that particular part of the weekend to be revised.

"Ultimately, there needs to be some sort of better structure in terms of making sure it's fair and even across the board," he said.

"We've never had that problem in Austin before. It was just because we had to sprint race as well, so an easy solution and an easy fix for that one, for example, is that we're able to approach the weekend differently where the car is not set from Friday morning, especially at these bumpy tracks.

"That's really the only reason that there are failures. It's just because it's so bumpy and some cars are able to some cars have better ride quality than others.

“Look at Charles' head and my head [in the car].

"We had a pretty bad ride and our heads bumped around quite a lot because the cars hit the deck."
https://racingnews365.com/hamilton-clai ... fter-us-gp
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

More controversy...Some drivers were blatantly cutting the track but because the CCTV cameras were looking the wrong way the drivers didn't get punished:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fia-furth ... ix-footage
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 6 months ago
Hamilton claims 'several' cars illegal after US GP disqualification

Im honestly just glad that Max and Lando both got checked and cleared.

I can only imagine the shitfight if they had not been checked.

Actually an article I read suggsts that the FIA can tell from the telemetry who was pushing the rules, and in effect Lewis and Leclerc were likely to have been picked from data available plus other giveaways. It points to Merc and Ferrari at best being less smart than others. Red Bull it seems were very smart and did run their cars higher than Charles and Lewis. ISTR reading that Mercedes admitted GR was running a less aggressive ride height which might explain why his race pace was uncharacteristically different to Lewis. In effect the info the Stewards have on their laptops basically highlights the cars to check.

The article also reminded me of when Red Bull ordered Max and Sergio not to take Eau Rouge flat (as they could) at the Belgian GP. The reasons for that was to avoid their cars bottoming out as the suspension compressed.... a step taken to save wear on the plank and avoiding the post race eligibility issues. Smart thinking from RB who had the smarts to realise a small compromise at one corner gained them more lap time in the rest of the lap. (Had they raised their ride height to cope with flat through Eau Rouge it would have reduced downforce for the rest of the lap.

This is an extract from a much longer article, but has the part I am talking of.
Why Hamilton and Leclerc were caught out

The FIA can zero in on which cars to single out for further inspection based on a variety of indicators.

In the case of a worn floor, a beaten-up titanium skid plate gives off a strong smell that can arouse suspicion from the pitwall. A better read is the onboard footage, which the FIA will monitor to see if drivers’ heads are wobbling as a result of bottoming out over bumps.

Following the high-profile return of porpoising amid the adoption of ground effects for 2022, the FIA also now measures the vertical oscillations in the car to ensure the drivers are not put at risk from vibrations.

Should a car attract attention for these excessive movements, then the technical delegate will be inclined to investigate further.

Bauer is also not limited to one car per team, meaning he could have also ordered spot checks for George Russell and Carlos Sainz if there was grounds to suspect both Mercedes or both Ferraris were running too low.

That the pair were left alone suggests they did not leap out to the FIA based on their onboard camera feeds and oscillations data. It is therefore likely that Hamilton and Leclerc fell foul of the rules based on their own individual set-ups.

To wear the rear skid plate points to the W14 and SF-23 either running too low a ride height at the back axle or running too soft to allow the cars to kiss the asphalt as they rebounded from hitting a bump.

That Verstappen passed scrutineering might point to the RB19 running stiffer to lock the ride height in position to stop it from bottoming, however uncomfortable for the driver.

Notably, the Red Bulls had to lift through Eau Rouge at Spa earlier this season to avoid grounding out.

Hamilton and Leclerc being pinged in no way points to a deliberate attempt to dodge the rules.

Instead, they were caught out by the sprint format that only allows for one hour of practice before parc ferme comes into effect. From then on, teams are heavily constricted with how they may alter the car.

The limited window meant some teams did not complete heavy fuel running prior to the GP. They were therefore unable to optimise the car to navigate the Circuit of the Americas bumps, which were much worse this year despite the resurfacing of Turns 12, 14, 15 and 16.

What’s more, teams are free to remove the plank to take accurate measurements to assess wear up until parc ferme takes hold. Then they are limited to effectively highly educated guesses.

It appears to be the case that Mercedes and Ferrari simply got theirs wrong.

Perfection versus pragmatism
While the FIA can count on data relating to oscillations plus onboard footage to identify potential non-compliant cars, the potential issue is that of the 17 finishers, 13 cars were not checked for their floors.

That necessarily means there is a chance, however remote, that one or more might have finished with a plank that had illegally worn excessively. They therefore wrongly scored points, having profited further from Hamilton and Leclerc’s exclusions.

As such, the perfect scenario would be that every car undergoes a firm set of scrutineering checks. But the FIA cites practical limitations that prevents this from being the case.
This link is to the full article from which the above was extracted. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/the-c ... 1678187073

Sort of associated but interesting anyway..... I was reading at the DHL website the logistical nightmare for them of getting all the freight from Austin to Mexico City. It highlights the potential side effects of back to back races in terms of (lack of) available time to carry out thorough post race checks on all cars rather than just 4.. The teams have to break down their set ups and cars to load them into the containers incredibly quickly. They have just 37 hours from the race end for everything to have arrived in Mexico City and available for the teams to start their set up, repair and race prep the cars and be ready for scrutineering and the start of official stuff The trucks have to start rolling out at 4am Monday morning. Even to go to Mexico 7 jumbo jets and and a large number of trucks are involved. They also have airport curfews to deal with not to mention both US and Mexican customs.

Oh and here is the FIA full post race Scrutineering report which lists the procedures post race carried out on all cars plus also the other tests (ie plank etc). They are quite busy blokes post race given the time demands outlined above.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... eering.pdf

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

HAMILTON: MANY CARS THAT HADN’T BEEN TESTED WERE ALSO ILLEGAL
How does he knows to make a such definite statement? It's maybe so, but until proven.... What we know for sure is, that his car was out of spec. He should perhaps talk about that, and stopped diverting attention elsewhere through speculations. Max was in the clear, and if he could do it, other cars should do the same, and that should include Hamilton.
Rory Stewart
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

When you listen to the Mercedes narrative, they made huge steps, compared to RBR and McLaren. But they totally ignore that, and Russell was way more back, and McLaren and RBR were not disqualified because of a too low a ride height.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/245169/v ... -high.html
Verstappen points to Red Bull mistake: 'We set the car too high'
I was not aware there is min bottom clearance as a spec. It used to be controlled by a plank of wood which needs to be of certain thickness at the end of race. But then, I don't bother to read (boring) tech specs anymore. Moreover, I cannot find FiA post race sin-sheets.
Rory Stewart
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

There is no minimum bottom clearance. But there is a limit in how much the skid pads may wear out. Mercedes and Ferrari went too aggressive. RBR went to conservative (according to Max).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 6 months ago There is no minimum bottom clearance. But there is a limit in how much the skid pads may wear out. Mercedes and Ferrari went too aggressive. RBR went to conservative (according to Max).
Its not just according to Max (although he is right)..... the teams all have to submit their setups to the FIA going in to parc ferme, and they (FIA) also have all the telemetry to monitor the oscillations up and down for each car (a carryover from when the porpoising was such an issue last year. Its the method the FIA monitored the porpoising effects in terms of the back stresses the drivers were complaining about back then.

In effect the set up info (which includes spring rates, damper settings and static ride height ) coupled to the oscillation telemetry is what made the FIA pick Lewis and Charles to have their planks more carefully than others. Their cars were more aggressively set up than others, including their team mates and the FIA were aware of that all day Saturday and Sunday.

Dont believe everything that Lewis says with his 'insider info' that others (half the grid according to him) thought they might have been illegal as well. I would suggest that is more just Lewis' belief maybe watching a replay of another car bottoming out on a lap where they jumped a kerb harshly.

I dont believe any team (or driver) is going to say to another driver "Yes we were illegal too.... our plank was worn more than yours" Its just not info anyone would divulge even if it was hypothetically true. Regardless of what Lewis says he knew or was told.

The FIA knew from the info they had that Lewis and Charles were in trouble before they even got a tape measure out. They knew how many times all cars had bottomed out from the oscillation telemetry.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Russell last year: Our data says that the red bull floor is illegal and has to be flexing.
Td038 comes in and red bull are the only too team unaffected

Lewis: We weren't the only illegal ones, our data says...

OK Lewis, you haven't learned from Russell's BS then?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.