2023 Mucus and Phlegm Sportswash Qatar GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Race Result

POS DRIVERGAP TYRE
1 Max VERSTAPPENLEADER 3
2 Oscar PIASTRI+4.833 3
3 Lando NORRIS+5.969 3
4 George RUSSELL+34.119 4
5 Charles LECLERC+38.976 3
6 Fernando ALONSO+49.032 3
7 Esteban OCON+62.390 3
8 Valtteri BOTTAS+66.563 3
9 GuanyuZHOU+76.127 3
10 Sergio PEREZ+80.181 3
11 Lance STROLL+81.652 3
12 Pierre GASLY+82.300 3
13 Alexander ALBON+91.014 3
14 Kevin MAGNUSSEN1 L 3
15 Yuki TSUNODA1 L 3
16 Nico HULKENBERG1 L 3
17 Liam LAWSON1 L 3
18 Logan SARGEANT-- 3
19 Lewis HAMILTON-- - -

WDC points.

Lando passes George for 7th outright. (Tied going into the weekend) and closes on CLAP. Fernando closes within 11 of Lewis

1 Max Verstappen NED RED BULL RACING HONDA RBPT 433
2 Sergio Perez MEX RED BULL RACING HONDA RBPT 225
3 Lewis Hamilton GBR MERCEDES 194
4 Fernando Alonso ESP ASTON MARTIN ARAMCO MERCEDES 183
5 Carlos Sainz ESP FERRARI 153
6 Charles Leclerc MON FERRARI 145
7 Lando Norris GBR MCLAREN MERCEDES 136
8 George Russell GBR MERCEDES 132

WCC

McLaren close to within 11 of Aston. Alfa jump Haas for 8th.

1 RED BULL RACING HONDA RBPT 658
2 MERCEDES 326
3 FERRARI 298
4 ASTON MARTIN ARAMCO MERCEDES 230
5 MCLAREN MERCEDES 219
6 ALPINE RENAULT 84
7 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 23
8 ALFA ROMEO FERRARI 15.
9 HAAS FERRARI 12
10 ALPHATAURI HONDA RBPT 5

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Rosberg's hair looking magnificent today
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

White six wrote: 7 months ago Been a long while since I've seen the drivers looking this ferked after a race. It's quite nostalgic
Hehehe remember when drivers heads would wobble around in the cockpit towards the end of the race in ground effect days. Before drivers trained to the extent they do now they have necks like tree trunks.

Oh Lewis has tweeted and admitted 100% responsibility for the get together with George. Lewis fans will just deny it or say Lewis was told to say that.

The Mercedes "Communications Director" said simply Lewis took Georges line, as simple as that.

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Ironically the three stop strategy made the drivers work. Yes it was very hot but this is what Schumacher and Hakkinen had to do in places like Malaysia and Melbourne before we ended refuelling and before the tyres became wonky rubber.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 7 months ago Oh Lewis has tweeted and admitted 100% responsibility for the get together with George. Lewis fans will just deny it or say Lewis was told to say that.

The Mercedes "Communications Director" said simply Lewis took Georges line, as simple as that.
Read the quote:

"I am happy to take responsibility, because that is my role."

Why does he call this his role? It feels as victim playing.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Yes, that comment on it being "his role" is very odd.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 7 months ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 7 months ago Oh Lewis has tweeted and admitted 100% responsibility for the get together with George. Lewis fans will just deny it or say Lewis was told to say that.

Read the quote:

"I am happy to take responsibility, because that is my role."

Why does he call this his role? It feels as victim playing.

That was before he saw he replays. After seeing the replays he changed his tune.

A later update on the same Race website as the above confirms. There is an actual tweet on Lewis Hamilton's personal Twitter / X that was shown on TV I saw confirming admission of it being his fault
HAMILTON ADMITS '100% FAULT' FOR CLASH WITH RUSSELL IN F1'S QATAR GP

Lewis Hamilton has admitted the crash between himself and Mercedes Formula 1 team-mate George Russell at the start of the Qatar Grand Prix was “100% his fault”.

Hamilton got a good launch from third owing to starting on the soft tyres while the two drivers ahead, Max Verstappen’s Red Bull and Ruseell, were on mediums.

Having sent his Mercedes all the way around the outside of the right-handed Turn 1, Russell and Verstappen were already side-by-side on the inside of the corner and Hamilton cut across Russell’s left front.

Hamilton was immediately out of the race while Russell was sent to the back and fought back to fourth place.

“I’ve watched the replay and it was 100% my fault and I take full responsibility,” Hamilton’s tweet read.

“Apologies to my team and to George.”
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/hami ... -in-qatar/

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I could understand if George was right behind Max before Lewis got by George and up alongside Max but I believe George was already slightly to the left, so for Lewis to misjudge that was bizarre.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Lewis radio never disappoints.

More hot Pastry.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It all just got a little worse for Lewis.... The FIA took his petty cash in the form of an €50,000 fine for crossing a live racetrack after the crash.

While nothing came of the investigation into the crash itself, stewards did take issue with Hamilton crossing the racing surface.
“After crashing out of the race in Lap 1, the driver of Car 44 abandoned his car in the gravel and ran back to the pits,” the stewards noted in their report.

“He thereby crossed the track that was live at this time and reached the inside edge of the track just seconds before Car 63 arrived at high speed after exiting the pits."

“He then continued to walk alongside the track until finally exiting the track."

“During the hearing the driver of Car 44 was very apologetic and realised that the situation could have been very dangerous for him as well as the drivers approaching.”

“The Stewards reinforced the fact that crossing a live track can cause extremely dangerous situations and the drivers have to be very cautious about it."

“In addition to imposing a significant fine (which is suspended in parts), the Stewards also reprimand the driver bearing in mind that receiving a certain number of reprimands during a season will draw a significant driving penalty in accordance with Article 18.2 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.”
Hamilton was thusly handed a €50,000 fine, half of which is suspended for the balance of the 2023 season provided there’s no similar breach.

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Lewis went into the corner like Danil Kvyat in China. Seb must have been shouting “torpedo” at the TV screen :)
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Only 13 drivers remained on the leading lap. It occurred to me, what a financial control achieved by imposing budget, was not much.
Latest headline - Next year Newey's brain will be available to all teams in pizza size poritions just to ensure that we have all teams crossing the finish line simultaneously. That's what FiA and Liberty want, don't they?.

Sainz was DNS, but that's OK. I wonder what he was thinking watching the horror movie.

Max reconfirmed his supremacy for all doubters. Sunday drive to church like it was for him.

Norris is probably replacing Hamilton as a favorite for his crowd, but young Aussie obviously has other ungodly ideas. Good show for him.

Alfa (by accident?) score some points. Hurrah and Amen. It was time.

Not just tires, but cars weren't suited due to their form and weight to race on such track. It's not the only one. One driver (forgot which one) said, that track was fun for him. The thing is, if so, I want also a piece of it.
We Are Addicted to a Sense of Crisis.
Rory Stewart
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Toronado
Toronado
Winger
Yesterday at 8:49 PM
#5,715
PTR said:
George, excellent interview, really gracious about the crash.
He also knows that Lewis has banged wheels twice recently, and it makes him look all the better for it.
Karun showing the T1 crash - how on earth were people blaming George for that?
Because George knowing Lewis was on softs should have took the team approach and allow Lewis the run through the corner it was back right against front left which shows how much Lewis was ahead !

George could have conceded that he’d lost out to Lewis and wasnt anywhere near to challenging Max so should tucked into Max’s slipstream and worked on his next opportunity
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

They are still trying lol

Footnote, Albon treated for heat exhaustion post race
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

White six wrote: 7 months ago

Footnote, Albon treated for heat exhaustion post race
Yeah it seems most said it was the worst racing conditions they had ever faced. 80% humidity and 50C in the cockpit.
I noticed even George was lifting his visor and taking hands off the wheel whilst on track to get some airflow. For all the training and sauna simulation stuff they do it doesnt help much with dehydration.... no doubt the size of their drink bottle is restricted for weight and bulk in the quest for perfect design and saving of every gram of weight. No doubt a quick change drink bottle (as in endurance racing) would be an idea when you do multiple stops, but then the half a second extra it might take would be unacceptable to the teams.

Footnote 2.... Perhaps to increase the show value perhaps as the fastest tyre change we could have the fastest drink bottle change.

Maybe just accept the combination of cars track conditions makes the venue untenable due to the driver safety compromises. we saw. Oh wait that wont work....Qatar pay the most to Liberty of all venues for the pleasure of hosting the GP.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Well it was always going to be something of an anticlimax with Max having wrapped up the championship on Saturday. He is rightly proud of his third championship and he's worked hard to get it, so good for him.

It was a very hot race out there, and it showed too, not only when Sargeant had to retire unwell, but when you saw the drivers after the race. It was clear the heat in the cockpit was almost overwhelming for them all. It's stupid to make them race in conditions like that!

At the start, Hamilton hit his teammate again. He blamed Russell but it seemed clear he was at fault and apparently the stewards agreed and gave him a reprimand and a penalty as well. I can totally understand why George Russell was angry, he had every right to be. Being hit is bad enough, when it's your own teammate doing it, that somehow makes it even worse.

The mandatory pistops took some of the fun away as you knew when they had to pit. At least it was better than not racing at all.

There was plenty of overtaking but somehow it didn't feel as impressive as it should. I don't know why, maybe it's because the title had been decided. Yes, the lower placed teams all want to get as many points as they can in the rest of the races, but it just didn't feel the same for me. Maybe it was just me.

Perez was really all over the place, I mean I lost count of how many penalties he picked up for track limits, I know he was far from alone on that score but he had more than most I'd say.

Alonso made a rare mistake and went off track. That's not like him at all. Jolyon Palmer declared 'Alonso has had a real whoopsie there through the gravel'. I will admit, that did make me laugh.

Lando Norris was probably faster but I respect McLaren for the team order to stay put, the last thing they needed was their drivers fighting over 2nd and 3rd and potentially ending up taking one another off. They had no reason to instruct Piastri to let him through and Norris had to accept it in the end. He wasn't happy, but then who would be in his position?

All in all, not that exciting a race in my opinion but clearly it was a very tough one on the drivers and the tyres.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!