Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

25 years of GPL

Post by PTRACER »

30th September marked 25 years since Grand Prix Legends first arrived on the shelves in the US. The UK release date was 9th October.

It's been quite a ride over the years and I'm proud to be a part of its ongoing development to bring the game fully into the 21st Century.

Long live GPL!!!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

:drunk:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Happy birthday GPL!

Still have the box!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Happy Birthday to GPL, the seminal sim. :bow:
GrandPrixYannick
Favourite Racing Car: BRM P261
Favourite Driver: Jackie Stewart, Max Verstappen
Favourite Circuit: Spa (the old one)
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Megane Coupe

Post by GrandPrixYannick »

Happy birthday to what is still the greatest sim out there (in my book :D )!
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

GrandPrixYannick wrote: 7 months ago Happy birthday to what is still the greatest sim out there (in my book :D )!
I think there are a dozen other games that would put GPL into the shade now. Problem is, none of them have the set of tracks and cars to make them a proper sim! So GPL continues to stand alone.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 7 months ago
GrandPrixYannick wrote: 7 months ago Happy birthday to what is still the greatest sim out there (in my book :D )!
I think there are a dozen other games that would put GPL into the shade now. Problem is, none of them have the set of tracks and cars to make them a proper sim! So GPL continues to stand alone.
Agreed. Even GPL's AI is better to race against than in modern sims. Even if they do frustrating things from time to time.

Btw Monte, although I knew you for your video captures way back in 2002/3, I don't recall you being part of the GPL community. What's your story???
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 7 months ago
Agreed. Even GPL's AI is better to race against than in modern sims. Even if they do frustrating things from time to time.

Btw Monte, although I knew you for your video captures way back in 2002/3, I don't recall you being part of the GPL community. What's your story???
I floated around some Australian GPLers back in ICQ days when I was young and didn't know what the heck I was doing and using a keyboard even :P.

But then later I raced with the folks at Farzad's in our own little forum league.

I was never any good. Got one or two wins in dodgy races with few people. @John raced, as did @Noodle, and @Mawerick did too. Maw was rather good.

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I floated around some Australian GPLers back in ICQ days when I was young and didn't know what the heck I was doing and using a keyboard even :P.

But then later I raced with the folks at Farzad's in our own little forum league.

I was never any good. Got one or two wins in dodgy races with few people. @John raced, as did @Noodle, and @Mawerick did too. Maw was rather good.
TEAM HERRING REIGNS SUPREME STILL
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

John wrote: 7 months ago

TEAM HERRING REIGNS SUPREME STILL
And Harvey the racing sloth brings up the rear.

Or was that NooD? :P

Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

MonteCristo wrote: 7 months agoMaw was rather good.
Not as good as Eduardo Parise and couple of others :tearful:
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Mawerick wrote: 7 months ago
MonteCristo wrote: 7 months agoMaw was rather good.
Not as good as Eduardo Parise and couple of others :tearful:
You're too humble - your GPL rank would have been extremely negative!

Mine was barely negative :P. I blame my steering wheel *cough*.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Wish I'd known about your league! We had a little league over at TBK-, there wasn't a lot of competition with only four or five drivers in each race but there was a helluva lot of crashing and arguing for weeks after :mrgreen: Still have the replays and race results on my PC.

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 7 months ago Wish I'd known about your league! We had a little league over at TBK-, there wasn't a lot of competition with only four or five drivers in each race but there was a helluva lot of crashing and arguing for weeks after :mrgreen: Still have the replays and race results on my PC.
I think at our peak we would have had a little over a dozen. My one or two wins came during smaller numbers :P.

They were happy, young, carefree times though.

Definitely want to get back into sim racing down the line. Won't be any good, but will be fun.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

PTRACER wrote: 7 months ago Wish I'd known about your league! We had a little league over at TBK-, there wasn't a lot of competition with only four or five drivers in each race but there was a helluva lot of crashing and arguing for weeks after :mrgreen: Still have the replays and race results on my PC.
I think at our peak we would have had a little over a dozen. My one or two wins came during smaller numbers :P.

They were happy, young, carefree times though.

Definitely want to get back into sim racing down the line. Won't be any good, but will be fun.
What would be your sim of choice? :sly: