Rate the 2023 Italian GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Rate the 2023 Italian GP

Poll ended at 8 months ago

No votes
13%
31%
13%
25%
6%
No votes
No votes
No votes
13%

Total votes: 16

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Then i will vote 10 points when Max or Sergio wins. To even it out.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Was anything similar going on in here when Hamilton had his supersonic car while everyone else was in crutches?
We Are Addicted to a Sense of Crisis.
Rory Stewart
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

6: It was a great race for Sainz but still it was only a race for 3rd and another race for 7th. The rest was as expected.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Aty wrote: 8 months ago Was anything similar going on in here when Hamilton had his supersonic car while everyone else was in crutches?
Of course...
Rate the 2018 Russian GP
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

erwin greven wrote: 8 months ago Then i will vote 10 points when Max or Sergio wins. To even it out.
The same driver winning every race without any competition/doubt makes it a 1/10 race in terms of enjoyment for me. So I'm being totally honest with my vote.

2023 is officially the season that made me stop watching after 25 years of obsessively watching every race and qualifying session no matter where I was in the world or what time of day or night it was.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

PTRACER wrote: 8 months ago
The same driver winning every race without any competition/doubt makes it a 1/10 race in terms of enjoyment for me. So I'm being totally honest with my vote.
I had that same feeling when i was watching the start of the race, one particular driver would go into Turn 1 first, i would switch off the TV and 2 hours later i would read on Teletekst: Hamilton heeft de GP van [fill in] gewonnen.... And this went on for 7 seasons.

And now some brits switch their TV off after 1,5 season. Well done Max!! :smiley:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

It's not as bad as it used to be. With advent of technlogy change the MB cars were winning whilst usually about the other 16 ended the race a lap down. In contrast, in the last race, Ferrari won qualification on Saturday, so, it's close and unheard of in 2014...

Instead of talking Max down, people need to talk to folks who designed these cars in excessively regulated environment we have today. Other than that, the F1 is a non-standardized series, and there will be always someone with a car/driver combo which is different. (The IRL system doesn't work for me.)

Villeneuve:
Jacques Villeneuve believes Max Verstappen has managed to turn his Red Bull RB19 into a "second skin" after equaling the record for most successive wins.
Yes JV, and can we blame a driver who has achieved nirvana?
Rory Stewart
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

erwin greven wrote: 8 months ago
PTRACER wrote: 8 months ago
I had that same feeling when i was watching the start of the race, one particular driver would go into Turn 1 first, i would switch off the TV and 2 hours later i would read on Teletekst: Hamilton heeft de GP van [fill in] gewonnen.... And this went on for 7 seasons.

And now some brits switch their TV off after 1,5 season. Well done Max!! :smiley:
Don't be mistaken, I like Max and always will. Nationality has nothing to do with it either. It's actually 5 seasons of Schumacher + 4 seasons of Vettel + 7 seasons of Hamilton + 1.5 seasons of Max + Repeated/failed promises by the FIA to fix F1 cars to make the racing better + FOM making it impossible to watch F1 legally which has made me switch off.

If a restaurant you really like fails to change the menu after 20 years of promising then eventually you stop going right?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

PTRACER wrote: 8 months ago Nationality has nothing to do with it either
But for the people you're arguing with it's literally everything. You gave a much nicer reply than what was deserved.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

EB wrote: 8 months ago
But for the people you're arguing with it's literally everything. You gave a much nicer reply than what was deserved.
Are you suggesting that the circumstances elevating Lewis Hamilton to knighthood had nothing to do with his nationality and for 7 years it was all about his skills and nothing else?

Autoweek - this is what BE said:
Hamilton is the fourth F1 driver to be knighted, following Sir Jack Brabham, Sir Stirling Moss and Sir Jackie Stewart. But the seven-time champion became the first to be awarded the honor while still actively racing.

"Only people who have really done something for the country should be knighted," 91-year-old Ecclestone, the former F1 leader, [told the German broadcaster n-tv](https://www.n-tv.de/mediathek/videos/sp ... 02332.html).

"I don't think many people who are knighted now really deserve it. They all make a lot of money and donate some to charity, but they haven't done anything specific for the country," he added.
Rory Stewart
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

EB wrote: 8 months ago
Well, whatever point Erwin was trying to make was lost on me so I'm not sure I could have given a harsher reply if I tried.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

PTRACER wrote: 8 months ago Don't be mistaken, I like Max and always will. Nationality has nothing to do with it either. It's actually 5 seasons of Schumacher + 4 seasons of Vettel + 7 seasons of Hamilton + 1.5 seasons of Max + Repeated/failed promises by the FIA to fix F1 cars to make the racing better + FOM making it impossible to watch F1 legally which has made me switch off.

If a restaurant you really like fails to change the menu after 20 years of promising then eventually you stop going right?
:agreepost: I agree with every word, I know exactly how you feel and I'm struggling to keep watching too. Even as a Vettel fan I got a bit fed up of him winning quite so often, even though you wouldn't think you'd do that.

As I said before, I am only doing so because of the games I'm playing and my friend in the USA who is new to F1 and has lots of questions about it that he asks me.

I am trying to convince myself to ignore the winner and only focus on the battles behind. If you can do that, you can find something worth watching, but you shouldn't have to of course.
Last edited by Star 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Why don't you collectively try a new entertainment, maybe watching dice roll? Motor racing is obviously not for you; it's a sport, and sports is apt to produce serial winners: Muhammad Ali, Edwin Moses, Steffi Graf, Ingemar Stenmark etc. If someone is good at what (s)he does, (s)he's apt to win regularly, and people like to watch him/her perform; you don't want to watch Ali or Graf with a hand tied behind their backs just to give someone else a chance to win, have Moses jump two extra hurdles or Stenmark negotiate a couple more gates than anyone else, do you? If it's variety for variety's sake you crave, then sports is simply not for you, so put up with it and stop the whining, or move on.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Michael Ferner wrote: 8 months ago Why don't you collectively try a new entertainment, maybe watching dice roll? Motor racing is obviously not for you; it's a sport, and sports is apt to produce serial winners: Muhammad Ali, Edwin Moses, Steffi Graf, Ingemar Stenmark etc. If someone is good at what (s)he does, (s)he's apt to win regularly, and people like to watch him/her perform; you don't want to watch Ali or Graf with a hand tied behind their backs just to give someone else a chance to win, have Moses jump two extra hurdles or Stenmark negotiate a couple more gates than anyone else, do you? If it's variety for variety's sake you crave, then sports is simply not for you, so put up with it and stop the whining, or move on.
I must admit I think you raise a good point. A degree of domination is something that has always existed, perhaps more even than now in early days. In the early to mid fifties we had Fangio winning stuff regularly and they had the extra (personal hate) thing of swapping cars mid race if say Fangio had broken his car and driver X had to hand his car over.

At least now it is all much closer and we dont have seconds per lap between the leaders, with the top 10 regularly split by a second. I guess also that reliability we now have has taken away a lot of the uncertainty factor that existed right up to recent years. I think only once in the first 55 years did we have every car finishing the race, Zandvoort in 1961. Since the second time at the 2005 Italian GP (I dont include the slightly earlier 2005 USGP because only 6 starters and the situation) we dont even bat an eyelid when it happens.

Of course driver fatalities and overall shorter careers reduced the chances of some of the latter day dominations.

And it is very much a human nature thing for the best driver to end up in the best car. Of course with the car regulations now so regimented it does mean we dont suddenly have a Lotus 49 or a Williams FW08 etc come along with something new to upset the apple cart, or even someone come up with an alternative engine like the DFV. The world isnt like that anymore.

Just because the winner might be a foregone conclusion, thankfully we still get some great racing going on down the field. When officialdom doesnt get in the way.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Michael Ferner wrote: 8 months ago Stenmark negotiate a couple more gates than anyone else, do you?
Four or five just to be sure! Though in the late 1970s the governing body altered the rules of the overall title to stop Stenmark winning it! It worked a treat but made a mockery of the title.

Several US sports use a draft system to mitigate against long term domination (the worst team get first choice of the best emerging new players from the college system), but of course anything remotely similar in F1 would be impossible to envisage, implement or countenance.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

MARKO: WINNING EVERY RACE IN 2023 BECOMING A GOAL NOW
This might be painful proposition for some on this bulletin board.
Rory Stewart