[WEC] The 100th Anniversary 2023 Le Mans 24 Hours - The Race of the Century

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

[WEC] The 100th Anniversary 2023 Le Mans 24 Hours - The Race of the Century

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

The centenary of the greatest endurance race in the world will take place on June 10 & 11, 2023.

I thought that seeing as this enormous occasion is only two weeks away from running that it was overdue that we should have a thread open for the event.

Plenty of new liveries, cars from Hypercars to GTs and even a return to Le Sarthe for a NASCAR entry.... of particular noter a NASCAR driven by amongst others WDC Jenson Button.
There is no race quite like the Le Mans 24 Hours. Across the course of its 100-year history, no other event has come close to generating the sheer volume of stories, myths and legends that have become sewn into the very fabric of the Circuit de la Sarthe.

It’s a race of immeasurable challenge, and one that regularly pushes drivers and the finest racing technology in the world to breaking point, and beyond. Heroes have been made, and lost, at Le Mans and it remains one of the great pillars of the racing landscape, some 100 years and 91 editions on from that formative first event in 1923.

While the race itself has changed hugely since those early days, the ethos of it hasn’t. It is still the ultimate test of endurance, featuring a mixture of supreme speed, public roads and permanent race track, changeable weather and a mixture of abilities and classes unlike anything else in the world. Drivers and teams must be ready for anything at Le Mans, because anything usually does happen. That’s a big reason why there have been so many feats of heroism and ingenuity.

From those early days of production road cars with cloth hoods and faltering headlights to the cutting-edge hybrid Hypercars we have now, the rate of progression at Le Mans has been constant. Cars now regularly exceed 3000 miles on the 8.5-mile circuit over the day and night, pushing more than 200mph multiple times over the race distance.

The first Le Mans 24 Hours took place 100 years ago this month on 26-27 May 1923.
It had been dreamt up by Emile Coquille, a French importer of Rudge-Whitworth bicycles and wheels, George Durand of the ACO and Charles Faroux, the editor of a weekly motoring magazine. Initially it was envisaged to be an eight-hour race – four in daylight, four at night, but Durand suggested a full 24 hours. What could be a better proof of reliability and endurance?

That first event drew 33 starters from 17 manufacturers, all hoping to make their mark on history, yet now vanished – Delage, Montier, Chenard et Walcker, Brasier, Georges Irat, La Lorraine, Berliet… Only one name carried through to us uninterrupted: Bentley.

All the cars were French apart from the Bentley and two entrants from Excelsior, a Belgian manufacturer, and each raced in their national colours – blue for France, yellow for Belgium and green for the British. The weather was filthy and the track rutted but a jazz band and fireworks kept the crowd in good spirits.

Thirty cars finished – despite the rain, road surfaces and corners illuminated by makeshift army searchlights – with the Bentley coming in a commendable fourth and recording the fastest lap at 9min 41sec (66mph average).

The race was ‘won’ by the Chenard et Walcker of André Lagache and René Leonard four laps ahead of its sister car. I say ‘won’ because as all pub quiz question compilers know, there were no actual winners in 1923 or for that matter in 1924 or 1925 either, because the events were not individual races but rounds of the Rudge-Whitworth Triennial Cup – an idea cooked up to ensure teams kept coming back.

“There is a magic and mystique to Le Mans that can be hard to pin down”
Since then Le Mans has become that rare thing – a sporting event that has managed – like Wimbledon, say, – to transcend even its own sport. There is a magic and mystique to Le Mans that can be hard to pin down, which is why this month we have dedicated much of Motor Sport to celebrating its history in as comprehensive a way as possible, while hopefully still capturing some of its essence by highlighting lesser-known aspects that have helped define it.
Thats how Motorsport Mag sees the race origins.

This year is extra special though, beyond its historical significance...... the hype itself looks fully justified.

Not only do we have a full grid of top-class manufacturer-backed entrants, but they include some of the most storied names – Porsche is back and Ferrari returns a full 50 years after it last competed for outright honours. Cadillac is also back while former winner Peugeot returns with a somewhat unique design.

There is an ominous feeling, in the shape of a pair of Toyota GR010s. This year we may see an easy victory for Toyotaf or the sixth year running. “The two-lap victory over eight hours at Sebring and one lap over six at Portimão suggested that Toyota’s rivals, Ferrari, Porsche, Peugeot and Cadillac, have a mountain to climb to get on terms.”

Then again, at Le Mans mountains have been climbed before… it looks on paper to be Toyota's race to lose, but who knows over 24 hours

Discuss away and add information pictures, liveries, news whatever.

A couple of links to start off with.

The Official Website. https://www.24h-lemans.com/

ENTRY LIST: .The 2023 Le Mans 24 Hours entry list in full with Drivers

Full programme of events each day from 1st June..... just click on the day and it will tell you what is on.
https://www.24h-lemans.com/fr/programme

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 11 months ago ...... a return to Le Sarthe for a NASCAR entry.... of particular noter a NASCAR driven by amongst others WDC Jenson Button.

An article about the NASCAR "Garage 56" entry, which is even bringing a spare car to Le Mans as part of its. adventure, as to the logistics and preparation the exercise has taken. Of note is the amount of spares and the whole logistics of the operation.

The art and science of shipping Hendrick Motorsports’ Garage 56 cars to Le Mans

The team even went to Sebring for the 12 hour as onlookers to check out what sort of setup teams use in the WEC so they are certainly taking the foray seriously and clearly putting a lot of money behind it.

For those unaware of what the concept of the Le Mans Garage 56 is.....

Garage 56 was introduced in 2012 as a special single-entry class reserved for cars to test new technologies. It's an extra spot on the grid and the cars aren't required to meet the same technical regulations that the rest of the field must, only safety regulations.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I thought this wonderful, if not tragic story might be of interest to others.

It was of particular interest to me because the guy featured is a particularly good friend of mine, Bob Bull, who I am still in touch with regularly. He sent me an email.this week telling me of an article written about an experience of his as a 17 year old, one that very few alive would be able to tell. Of course I was well aware of the fact Bob was at Le Mans that fateful day in 1955, and knew his attendance was an early 18th gift from his parents, the first time he had ever been overseas...... but this article tells the whole story of the circumstances and memories of his trip. Im sure Bob wont mind me sharing his story..

Bob I must say is now 85 years young and has been an ardent fan of motorsports since cycling from his home to Goodwood in his teens with a friend, to attend a race meeting there before even I was born. Crawling under barbed wire fences to avoid paying admission. :haha:

He still attends Historic events in the UK, always with his camera. (I know he was at Silverstone in April!). He has literally tens of thousands of wonderful motorsport photos taken over the years. He has a fairly close allegiance to the Morgan Owners Club, and still writes their race reports and photographs there meetings to this day. A wonderful man with a great sense of humour, and one I am privileged to know and class as a good friend. :bow:

As he says he is now one of the few survivors who witnessed that awful day.... as he proudly says, "Old enough to have been there on the day yet young enough to still be alive". It all unfolded in front of his eyes....his seat was directly opposite the Jaguar pit.

Anyway here is the article of Bob at Le Mans that day. If for some reason it doesnt show properly just go to read it on this link:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... mans-1955/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Vanwall Replaces Villeneuve With Vautier for Le Mans

Floyd Vanwall Racing Team has altered its driver lineup for the 24 Hours of Le Mans with Jacques Villeneuve being replaced by Tristan Vautier.
The team on Thursday confirmed that Villeneuve will not take part in the fourth round of the FIA World Endurance Championship season after he contested the opening three races in the Hypercar class.

The Canadian had a rocky start to his WEC career, which included altercations with separate AF Corse Ferrari 488 GTE Evos during the Prologue test at Sebring and the 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, and an accident after a brake explosion at Portimao.

It is understood that those incidents, and a lack of mileage for Villeneuve, contributed to the ByKolles-run team making a decision to adjust its lineup.

Vautier will share the No. 4 Vanwall Vandervell 680 Gibson with Tom Dillmann and Esteban Guerrieri, who teamed up with Villeneuve for the opening three WEC races.

“The situation is that we don’t feel that he [Villeneuve] is ready to go to Le Mans,” Kolles said. .“Le Mans is a big race. We cannot take the risk. For personal reasons and due to the fact that also the mileage is lacking, we decided to have a new driver which will be Tristan Vautier.”
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/van ... r-le-mans/

No Triple Crown for JV then. :wink:

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 11 months ago [No Triple Crown for JV then. :wink:
I think he was with Peugeot way more close to that than he ever will be with Vanwall.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Boooo! (But also completely understandable!)
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 11 months ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 11 months ago [No Triple Crown for JV then. :wink:
I think he was with Peugeot way more close to that than he ever will be with Vanwall.
Yeah that was a very tongue in cheek statement.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Not sure I like this livery..... actually pretty sure I dont. :sick:
It will stand out and be easy to recognise I guess :smiley:

LMP2 team DKR Engineering has revealed its Belgian-themed livery for the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I want to say I like the rear wing with their driver details, but apparently that's just random race stats on second look.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

One of my favourite liveries to date is just a li'l old GT car....

The TF Sports Aston Martin #72 Tribute livery. Not just a tribute to the 100th anniversary but has the Matra blue, the Pescarolo Green and even the number has a link..... 72 is the Le Mans postcode (ok its 72000 but you get the picture. Oh and the French car registration numbers, the last two numbers depict the area registered ie Paris is 75..... well you guessed it Le Mans (La Sarthe region) registered cars end in 72. :smiley:

Anyway I think its stunning, and on that basis wish them the best of luck.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Tom Kristensen Named 24H Le Mans Grand Marshal

Tom Kristensen has been named as the Grand Marshal for the upcoming 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Nine-time Le Mans winner Kristensen, the most successful driver at the French classic, will lead the 62-car field on the formation lap ahead of the race start on June 10.

TK, who previously served as Grand Marshal in 2015, was last year appointed as an ambassador for the event’s 2023 centenary celebrations. Other recent Grand Marshals at Le Mans include former drivers Gerard Larrousse, Derek Bell, Emanuele Pirro and Hurley Haywood.

Toyota chairman Akio Toyoda has been awarded the Spirit of Le Mans.

Toyoda is the latest recipient of the Spirit of Le Mans award which recognises people who “embody the values of endurance racing” including team and manufacturer directors.

The factory Toyota Gazoo Racing team has won the last five Le Mans editions while Toyoda himself comes from a strong motorsport background, having previously driven at the Nürburgring 24 and last weekend’s Fuji 24 Hours.
“I am deeply honored to reward Tom Kristensen and Akio Toyoda in this manner and thank them most sincerely for accepting to be here,” said ACO President Pierre Fillon.

“These key figures are a perfect illustration of what the 24 Hours of Le Mans stands for: innovation, perseverance, success and forward thinking.

“Tom is a living legend of the world’s greatest endurance race and has been a precious ambassador over the last year.

“Akio Toyoda honors us with his presence at our 100th-anniversary celebrations.

“We are delighted to present the Spirit of Le Mans trophy to the chairman of a company that embodies the values that we defend. Now, let the race begin.”
.https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/kri ... d-marshal/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Another Livery that caught my eye.... more so for the treatment and manner of honouring the centenary of the event than as an exquisite piece of art .

Nielsen Livery Pays Tribute To Le Mans Centenary

Nielsen Racing’s #14 Oreca 07 for the 2023 24 Hours of Le Mans features a livery designed to commemorate the centenary of the great race f

Created by British artist Mark Morgan the gold-based scheme features graphical tributes to a variety of cars, personalities and aspects of the hundred-year history of Le Mans.

The nose section features images of the original trophy, and the 2023 Centenary Trophy with a variety of significant drivers from the past: Derek Bell, Henri Pescarolo, Jacky Ickx and Dan Gurney with their faces immortalised – plus Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in his iconic two-fingered ‘salute’ and Triple Crown winner Graham Hill.

Most unusually a current car, the double-race-winning Toyota GR010, is immortalised, with winning Porsches from 1970, 1983 and 1998, the 1955 winning Jaguar D-Type, the 1930-winning Bentley and the 1952 race-winning Mercedes Benz.

Indianapolis, Hunaudieres, Maison Blanche and Tertre Rouge are represented as is the 1988 WM effort, their 405 km/h top speed from Roger Dorchy still the fastest terminal velocity from any runner.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

thanks!!

More pix!

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Jacques Villeneuve wrote:OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM JACQUES VILLENEUVE Clarifying Recent Events with Vanwall Racing Team - WEC Season 2023

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
"I am deeply disappointed to have learned of my replacement for the upcoming Le Mans 24hrs through a public announcement released by the Vanwall Racing Team ByKolles on May 25th, 2023. To date, I have not received any official communication from the team, which is even more surprising given that I am still under contract to participate in the Le Mans 24hrs race.

The timing of the release strangely coincided with my impending arrival at the hospital for the birth of our baby daughter, which had been planned for May 26th. ByKolles was well aware of this personal family event, rendering me unable to respond or address this sudden announcement.

As a racing family, we have always successfully balanced our personal lives with our professional careers, with racing always holding a prominent place. In fact, my preparation for the Le Mans 24hrs event was meticulous and well-organized. Considerable time and effort were dedicated to achieving peak physical and mental readiness for this extraordinary challenge that I was really looking forward to. Following victories in the Indy500, Indycar and the F1 Championship, the Le Mans 24hrs holds special significance for me. Consequently, I am deeply disheartened that the opportunity to participate has been unjustly and arbitrarily denied.

Under these circumstances, I have made the decision to abstain from participating in the remainder of the WEC season with Bykolles. Instead, I will redirect my focus and energies towards preparing for a more successful and professionally fulfilling 2024 racing season."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hypercar BoP undergoes wholescale revisions for Le Mans

The Hypercar class Balance of Performance has undergone wholescale revisions for the Le Mans 24 Hours.

There seems a bit of confusion over this despite they having been a unilateral agreement allowing the changes at this stage of proceedings, all signed by each manufacturer..... but the bottom line is that all bar the Peugeot, Vanwall. and Glick are not affected. Toyota have been hardest hit, followed by Ferrari Cadillac and a minor adjustment to the Porsche all having their minimum weights rained by between 3 kgs and 37kgs.

Maximum power allowed to all seven types of car is also unchanged for Le Mans., however to offset the weight addition Toyota, Ferrari and Cadillac have all had the amount of energy they can use over the course of a stint increased to reflect the extra weight to be carried.

All explained in more detail here:
Toyota, Ferrari, Cadillac and Porsche have all had their minimum weights raised for the centrepiece round of the World Endurance Championship on 10/11 June.

The biggest weight increase is for the Toyota GR010 HYBRID Le Mans Hypercar, which won the opening three rounds of the 2023 WEC.

It has been hit with a 37kg increase, while the Porsche 963 LMDh has had its minimum weight increased by just three kilogrammes.

A change now suggests there has been a universal agreement among the participating manufacturers in Hypercar to change the BoP for Le Mans, which is celebrating its centenary this year.

They were all signatories to a new system introduced for this season that allowed only for a revision in the balance between LMH and LMDh machinery, a so-called platform change, over the first four rounds up to and including Le Mans.

Changes to the BoP for individual cars built to the two different rulesets in operation in Hypercar was then only possible after Le Mans under the agreed system.

The document that governs the BoP remains secret, which created confusion over when a platform change could come into effect.

Toyota insisted that it could occur only after the first two races at Sebring and Portimao and ahead of the Spa 6 Hours at the end of April.

Porsche Motorsport boss Thomas Laudenbach argued that a post-Spa revision would also be after two races.

The new BoP table was released on Wednesday ahead of this Sunday’s official Le Mans Test Day.

Ferrari’s 499P LMH, which has so far been on the podium at each of the first three races, will run 24kg heavier than at Spa and Portimao.

The Cadillac V-Series.R LMDh, the third quickest car this year, has been given an 11kg weight hit.

Peugeot’s 9X8, a four-wheel-drive hybrid LMH like the Toyota and the Ferrari, has an unchanged BoP, as have the Glickenhaus-Pipo 007 and Vanwall-Gibson Vandervell 680 non-hybrid LMHs.

The BoP table for the Sebring season-opener was different to that in force at Portimao and Spa: it reflected the specific nature of the bumpy Florida venue.

Maximum power allowed to all seven types of car is also unchanged for the 24hr race.

Toyota, Ferrari and Cadillac have all had the amount of energy they can use over the course of a stint increased to reflect the extra weight they will have to carry.

The increase is four megajoules for the GR010, two for 499P and one for the V-Series.R.

No explanation is given by rule makers the FIA and the Automobile Club de l'Ouest on the release of BoP tables by the WEC Committee, so it is unclear if the scope of the deal that appears to have been thrashed out been them and the manufacturers allows for a further change between the Test Day and the race the following weekend.

As with all BoP communications from the WEC Committee, the latest table says it is enforceable until further notice.
https://www.autosport.com/le-mans/news/ ... /10476503/