BACK to BAKU for the (Sprint Format) 2023 AZERBAIJAN GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago
Oliver Dale wrote: 1 year ago Question: if Alpine had told Ocon to abort his pit stop due to safety reasons i.e. people in the pit lane, would they have been disqualified due to not having done a pit stop?.
Can someone remind me why they do have to stop at all? I mean, what's the point of it?
@Michael FernerThey have to maximise the opportunities to kill someone in pit lane. The new fans love it.

No, seriously it is because the teams have to use two of the three compound options of tyres per race. It just so happens that Ocon started from pit lane because he had to have some part or a suspension setting changed whilst the car was in parc ferme (which they were from after P1, actually no, I exaggerate, parc ferme was from the moment pit lane opens for qualifying on, in this case Friday afternoon. A couple of hours after the end of Practice 1. However dont start me on the parc ferme rant, thats another pet hate of mine.)

Where were we..... oh yes Ocon has started from pitlane and strategically started on the hard option tyre so he could run long. No point in starting on soft rubber for the quicker tyre warm up to minimise lost positions on the opening lap or two with cooler tyres, when you are already at the back) It was all working well when the SC was called on lap 10 ish. Ocon hard tyres now nice and warm, stayed out and gained track position as others who started on softer rubber stopped to take their alternative 2nd option compound.

His (and also Hulkenberg who also had to start from pit lane for breaching parc ferme rules and thus also started on hard tyres) hard tyres did not degrade at all, and as everyone had stopped bar him (and Hulk) they both found themselves running in the top 10, in the points. Problem was everone else had done their one pit stop. As the hard tyres were still as good as new they continued to run on them, their hope being that before the end of the race someone would go off or break down, another SC would be deployed and they could pit at minimal delay under the SC and thus more or less maintain their points position. They left it to the last minute with fingers crossed for an SC. Didnt happen so as they had not used the mandated 2 different compounds during the race they thus had to stop on the last lap purely to get around the rule that says 2 compounds to be used.

Had they not come into the pits they would have been dsq'd for not using two compounds of tyres. Although they did not end up doing a full lap on their 'new' tyres, they had stopped and changed tyres before Perez actually took the flag, thus met the ruling of fitting both compounds..

On the penultimate lap Hulk and Ocon were 10th and 9th. They ended up classified 15th and 17th.

The problem is no one had the sense to understand what was happening in officialdom land, despite mechanics with tyres running out into the pitlane to change tyres as required. No doubt the media photographers have all slipped silver dollars in official hands to be allowed to stand in pole position to run out and get that magic shot.... after all, no one usually stops right at the end like that.

Memory jog moment..... it used to happen all the time in the early noughties when the whole engine penalty thing started. If you were a DNF you avoided penalties, if you ran to the flag then had to change an engine before the next race you got a grid penalty. So cars not in the points would all rush into pit lane to DNF on the last lap to be classed as non finishers and get a penalty free new engine..

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Oliver Dale wrote: 1 year ago Question: if Alpine had told Ocon to abort his pit stop due to safety reasons i.e. people in the pit lane, would they have been disqualified due to not having done a pit stop?.
Can someone remind me why they do have to stop at all? I mean, what's the point of it?
To 'spice up the action' by creating an extra talking point mid-race when nothing else is going on.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
@Michael FernerThey have to maximise the opportunities to kill someone in pit lane. The new fans love it.

No, seriously it is because the teams have to use two of the three compound options of tyres per race. (...)
Had they not come into the pits they would have been dsq'd for not using two compounds of tyres. Although they did not end up doing a full lap on their 'new' tyres, they had stopped and changed tyres before Perez actually took the flag, thus met the ruling of fitting both compounds..

On the penultimate lap Hulk and Ocon were 10th and 9th. They ended up classified 15th and 17th. (...)
Yes, yes... I understand that, and suppose my question should've been, why do they have to use two compound options? Sounds like an idiotic gimmick to me, and it cost those two teams valuable points. I recall there was a similar occurrence last year or the year before, and already then I was "WTF?" :huh: Does not make ANY sense to me!

Btw, how did they "end up not doing a full lap on their new tyres", were they unable to leave the pits due to the commotion? Memories of Niki Lauda at Brands Hatch in 1974... Remember, that led to a protest and to a historic first, when a car was credited with a lap that it didn't complete!!
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Memory jog moment..... it used to happen all the time in the early noughties when the whole engine penalty thing started. If you were a DNF you avoided penalties, if you ran to the flag then had to change an engine before the next race you got a grid penalty. So cars not in the points would all rush into pit lane to DNF on the last lap to be classed as non finishers and get a penalty free new engine..
Makes me extremely happy that I didn't follow the sport at that time... Idiocy to the power of three! :nah: :sick:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
To 'spice up the action' by creating an extra talking point mid-race when nothing else is going on.
Yeah but, yeah but... The talking point would be there, regardless! "Are his tyres going to last..." "Will this be the way to score a couple surprise points...". This whole thing of stopping on the last lap to satisfy an obscure and nonsensic rule is just... bollocks! :nah: :nuts:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
Yeah but, yeah but... The talking point would be there, regardless! "Are his tyres going to last..." "Will this be the way to score a couple surprise points...". This whole thing of stopping on the last lap to satisfy an obscure and nonsensic rule is just... bollocks! :nah: :nuts:
The FIA hears what you're saying, and...

... Will consequently implement a new rule that says you need to run three different tyre compounds in each race.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion