Drive to Survive Season 5

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.

Are you planning to watch Season 5

Poll ended at 1 year ago

YES! YES! YES! Gimme the drama!
50%
Maybe I may check out a few highlights
17%
No, that show is trash!
No votes
Jam
33%

Total votes: 6

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Drive to Survive Season 5

Post by XcraigX »

Season 5 drops today on Netflix in the US. Unsure on global release dates. With the season being a bit lopsided last year, I'm sure the drama will be a bit less than Season 4, However I'm curious on how they will handle the Ferrari implosion and release of Binotto from his contract.

Hit the pole up top and share your comments in the thread!!
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I know in the past I have been guilty of not wanting to like it because of what it is.... highly edited often out of context and therefore a bit contrived and made for an audience I dont see myself as part of. I gave up on last year after I saw an episode which played like a Lawrence / Lance Stroll I have money to throw at and fix things etc.

However I will watch a couple of episodes and take a 'suck it and see' approach.

Initial reviews here talk of it being certainly focussed on things going on at McLaren.... DannyRic and his situation, the mutual divorce, then the Oscar PeeArseTree affair, meetings between the Papaya and Blue camps, Brown v (Laurent) Rossi and then DR's future, implying what sounds like a DR to Alpine situation that we know DR never even considered because his headspace was not aligned with a return to a much altered Renault Mk 2 (Alpine, different management etc and DR wanting a familiar low key not political workspace.

I am pleased to hear Guenther getss some coverage, albeit perhaps edited to suit, over DR going to Haas and discussing same with KMag with an excited Steiner choking out "He want 10 Million effing dollars" type angle.

The review I read doesnt even mention Binotto etc.... maybe that came to the party too late with most of the filming done? :idunno:

Of course I read an Aussie penned review so perhaps the review was Aussie focussed given the DR and Oscar P involvement.
I suspect a case of the latter because I am aware Max was certainly in the production for the first time and the Aussie review doesnt even mention Max.

Bottom line I will relax my previous "not my cup of tea" angle and give it a go. Somehow I cant see me watching every minute of every episode, but never say never......

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

Yep. Gunther and Danny Ric antics make the show entertaining for me. This show is really where we get to see the drivers and team leads personalities come out. That little behind the scenes slice is why I watch.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I won't be watching it, but my friend in the USA is apparently.

I'm waiting for the @XcraigX to put up the first GTP thread of the season, the time is running down and there's no sign of it yet!! :shocked:

Some of us wish to defend our title :whistling:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
XcraigX

Post by XcraigX »

Star wrote: 1 year ago I won't be watching it, but my friend in the USA is apparently.

I'm waiting for the @XcraigX to put up the first GTP thread of the season, the time is running down and there's no sign of it yet!! :shocked:

Some of us wish to defend our title :whistling:
Ha ha! I'm sitting here listening to music and working on the spreadsheets! There were so many swaps in the schedule it's taking far longer than anticpated. I should be posting shortly. However there is a bit more housekeeping. I need to get the list of name sorted. We were all spread out last year. Make sure to reply to the "Who's in thread" in a few minutes.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I'll be honest I lasted 20 mins into Season 4 and mostly because I don't really have the patience to sit through the chatter race by race. I continue to be fascinated though at the level of interest this has generated in the sport. I will tune in to see if there's something spicy in this season's episodes but I'm not sure I'll be hooked.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DTS 5 Official trailer

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
krqken
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Lando Norris
Favourite Circuit: Austria

Post by krqken »

I have to give praise to the netflix crew for providing these seasons but I still think that it is way to dramatic and streched out to be entertaining for me. I can see how some people can watch this but its just so god damm dramatic
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Watched the first show last night. Actually a great episode. Nice to remined myself of how the Bahrain race played out in 2022. Probably going to watch an episode every other week, to keep in on track with the current race schedule.

Anyhow, this has been a great series. It is why my son now follows F1. All the visits to race tracks, putting him in race cars in the pits, etc.... didn't do that. He never understood my interest in F1 until he started watching Drive to Survive. It was recommended to him by one of his high school buddies who knew nothing about racing. This series has been a huge success.