2026 Engine Regs stuff and potential engine manus / team partnerships.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

FIA’s single-seater Director Nikolas Tombazis revealed the Formula 1 power unit regulations will evolve in a direction that keeps them relevant to what OEMs require.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/01/07 ... ant-to-do/

That settles that question. It makes sense keeping OEM interested, and the F1 also benefits from common cause. There is no turning back to yesteryears.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Makes sense, given the OEMs are the only ones with the budget to develop said motors. I doubt RBPT are using thir money.... thats where Ford come into it, as they did back in the day with the Cosworth DFV which were badged Ford once it had been proven with Lotus. Became known as the Ford Cosworth.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Not quite. Ford didn't come in 'once it had been proven with Lotus', they started it all up with their money. If not for Ford, Cosworth would not have built that engine!
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 months ago Not quite. Ford didn't come in 'once it had been proven with Lotus', they started it all up with their money. If not for Ford, Cosworth would not have built that engine!
Sorry I just wasnt very clear with my point.... Totally agree it was Fords money that funded the project. (Hence my saying "I doubt RBPT are using their money.... thats where Ford come into it, as they did back in the day with the Cosworth DFV...."

I always thought the first ones were branded as Cosworth and were later branded Ford. I have certainly seen Cosworth branded DFVs. In fact...

I actually thought that perhaps the early ones were branded Cosworth and that they became Ford when they became generally available to the proletariat / garagistes. I did a 2=2=5. My bad. :blush: I stand corrected.

However looking for period photos since my post I have shot my theory down in flames.... I found a photo of the Lotus 49 on debut at Zandvoort with the DFV clearly labelled as Ford. They were entered as Ford Cosworth as the engine as well.

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

No, the cars were entered as Lotus/Ford - no Cosworth in the name, that's a later 'invention'. And the Cosworth-labelled cam covers are originally from the DFX Indy engine (which WAS a Cosworth, pure and simple), I forgot the story how some of them came to be on DFVs; I recall something about Williams having them (before their breakthrough, so 1978 at a guess) and others being suspicious about it. Turned out to be some benign reason, of course.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Szafnauer: F1 rivals broke ‘gentleman’s agreement’ on Renault engine disparity
Former Alpine Formula 1 boss Otmar Szafnauer has claimed the team’s rivals broke a “gentleman’s agreement” which would have allowed engine supplier Renault to reduce its performance disparity.

Earlier this year, an FIA analysis of the sport’s four respective power units discovered that the Renault engine lagged an estimated 20-33hp behind Ferrari, Honda and Mercedes.
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/01/ ... disparity/

Regretably Otmar should had known better who were his partners.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Williams agree new power unit deal with Mercedes

Williams has joined McLaren in confirming its commitment to Mercedes by signing a new power unit supply agreement until at least 2030. Mercedes and McLaren confirmed in late November they would continue their partnership by signing a five-year extension from 2026 when new PU rules come into force.

After being powered by Mercedes since the start of the current turbo-hybrid era, Williams becomes the second F1 team to renew its commitment to thMB from 2026.

The PUs from 2026 will be run on 100 percent sustainable fuel, and feature a single 350kW electric motor, almost three times more powerful than the current MGU-K. Will Mercedes enjoy the same performance advantage they enjoyed when the hybrid era dawned. ISTR back then they had a bit of an advantage given they were involved somehow with giving their input to influence the 2014 regs to suit their own development that had been taking place for some time before.of the regulations. I cant remember the exact details but I do recall they had clear insider info that was of great benefit to themselves over others..

Im sure this time round the playing field will be more level.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Audi might end up without customers. At least until current contracts come up for renewal.

Outside interest, if any, will have difficulty to find clients.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Aty wrote: 3 months ago Audi might end up without customers. At least until current contracts come up for renewal.

Outside interest, if any, will have difficulty to find clients.
Alpine might struggle as well. Especially if the Andretti application is canned. (Andretti had / have a theoretic engine deal offer from Alpine). Of course Honda is in as well and they just have Aston as 'the works team' with no customer interest at this time.
Ferrari will lose one of their customers we know as obviously Sauber will be Audi by then and obviously running the Audi offering..
Red Bull and the Roaring Tossers or whatever they become will both be running the Ford RBPT solution.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I thought the engine regs were all pretty much decided but they are still adding and taking away certain aspects. I guess the basic engine architecture has been finalised given the lead times needed but they are still messing with the peripheral bits and bobs.

We know the ICE traditional engine power will be reduced in line with eco objectives, and that the electrical component will be increased so in effect power will remain. We also know the expensive MGU-H is no longer going to be involved.

In summary, the turbocharged, 1.6-litre V6 ICE element of the power unit is being reduced from 550-560kW down to 400kW (535bhp), and that the battery element will jump from 150kW up to 350kW (470bhp) to replace that power loss – despite the eradication of the MGU-H.

F1 2026 ENGINE REGS TO INCLUDE 355KM/H KERS - STYLE ‘OVERRIDE’ BOOST SYSTEM
The FIA havejust released the latest Draft of the regulations A new addition is that there will be a "push-to-pass" element which is driver rather than system controlled.

Article 5.4.8 puts some of the framework in place.
The first portion of Article 5.4.8 creates a glidepath for energy deployment from the ERS-K hybrid system up to 345km/h (215mph). The second portion covers what’s being dubbed by the FIA as an ‘override mode’, whereby the driver will be able deploy additional power to infill the energy created by the glidepath and provide a further boost up to 355km/h (220.5mph).

This secondary function will provide a more strategic aspect to energy deployment and require the driver to make a decision whether or when to use it as it becomes available. It is similar in concept to the KERS function that F1 had between 2009-2013, with drivers able to use that energy allotment to attack, defend or deploy it for lap time improvement.

Given how much more reliance is placed on the hybrid aspect of the power unit from 2026 onwards, it means that drivers won’t always have the ability to use the ‘override’ function. And, if they do, they might risk putting themselves in an energy deficit under normal deployment conditions further around the lap or over the course of the next few laps.

Fighting with another driver in wheel-to-wheel combat will be just one aspect of how this new system will be employed by both drivers and their engineers, as they look to extract the best from the car during the course of a lap, during battles and over a race distance.

The 2026 engine regulations have attracted the most manufacturers on the grid since 2008, with the current four engine suppliers set to be joined by Audi and Ford (via Red Bull Powertrains).
Although this thread is all about the 2026 engines, and so this next bit is probably not relevant here, but as we know there will be new chassis regs in 2026 to make the cars between 40-50kg lighter. :thumbsup:

The cars will be shorter, with the wheelbase likely trimmed down to 3400mm from the current maximum 3600mm. The cars will also be narrower by 10cm, so will be reduced from 2000mm to 1900mm.

Another step change from the current cars will be the addition of extra moveable aero to help reduce drag on the straights.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I really don't like the gimmicky moveable aero stuff. Just keep it simple. That sort of thing is more video game, and I guess that is the audience they care about. As far as I am concerned, titles from 2026 onwards are worth less than current titles, which are worth less than pre-DRS titles.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 weeks ago I really don't like the gimmicky moveable aero stuff. Just keep it simple. That sort of thing is more video game, and I guess that is the audience they care about. As far as I am concerned, titles from 2026 onwards are worth less than current titles, which are worth less than pre-DRS titles.
Marketing company: Note, the current gimmicks aren't working with the fans. They're not buying it.

Liberty: RELEASE THE FAN BOOST!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion