Hello from Austria!

New to the forum? Say hello!
Returning members, feel free to reintroduce yourselves.
LigierGitanes
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One in the 1970s and 1980s
Favourite Racing Car: Ligier JS11
Favourite Driver: Carlos Reutemann
Favourite Circuit: Österreichring

Hello from Austria!

Post by LigierGitanes »

Hi motorsport fans,

my name is Robert, I am Austrian and I was born in 1973. My main interest is in Formula 1 from the 1970s and 1980s.

The first GP I remember watching on TV was the 1978 Swedish GP at Anderstorp that Lauda won with the famous Brabham fan car. I was four years old at that time.

It really got mad about F1 at the age of six during the 1980 season, triggered by this Panini sticker album. That explains my username, the 1979/1980 Ligier JS11 with the Gitanes livery is my all-time favourite F1 car, what a beauty!

My interest in F1 slowly began to decline from 1989 onwards, I found the cars of the post-turbo era less attractive than the massive monsters from the previous years. And it should get worse for me, with the "narrow-gauge" cars and grooved tyres from 1998...

So I kept reading books on the 1970s and 80s, and recently I extended my interest back to the 1960s. And I have set up a results database from the present back to currently 1980, I am slowly working my way back towards 1950. The database is for SQL Server, contact me if any of you should be interested in that.

My current obsession is collecting Grand Prix telecasts on DVD, I have a decent collection of full-race DVDs from the 1970s until 1993. If only I had more time to watch all of them.

So that's all for now, thanks for reading this.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

LigierGitanes wrote: 1 year ago Hi motorsport fans,

my name is Robert, I am Austrian and I was born in 1973. My main interest is in Formula 1 from the 1970s and 1980s.

The first GP I remember watching on TV was the 1978 Swedish GP at Anderstorp that Lauda won with the famous Brabham fan car. I was four years old at that time.

It really got mad about F1 at the age of six during the 1980 season, triggered by this Panini sticker album. That explains my username, the 1979/1980 Ligier JS11 with the Gitanes livery is my all-time favourite F1 car, what a beauty!

My interest in F1 slowly began to decline from 1989 onwards, I found the cars of the post-turbo era less attractive than the massive monsters from the previous years. And it should get worse for me, with the "narrow-gauge" cars and grooved tyres from 1998...

So I kept reading books on the 1970s and 80s, and recently I extended my interest back to the 1960s. And I have set up a results database from the present back to currently 1980, I am slowly working my way back towards 1950. The database is for SQL Server, contact me if any of you should be interested in that.

My current obsession is collecting Grand Prix telecasts on DVD, I have a decent collection of full-race DVDs from the 1970s until 1993. If only I had more time to watch all of them.

So that's all for now, thanks for reading this.
You have great taste in F1 :).

Welcome!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Welcome @LigierGitanes to TFL
Hi Robert You should find plenty of those with similar interests to yours here (myself included) :haha: .
I have been watching a few years longer thn you but the 70's is when I really got into it. Ligier (and Laffitte were great favourites of mine. Particularly in their V12 years. :smiley:
Plus many others. I was always a huge fan of your fellow Austrian, Niki Lauda, going back before his Ferrari years. My hero figure.
I still enjoy F1 but to me the best times of F1 are long gone. Im just glad I was there to witness thebest times. (Im not alone here with those thoughts). I am always more keen to watch a replay of an old race from the seventies or eighties than anything from current times.

Enjoy your visits and time here. Sure there is plenty particularly in the Nostalgia area that will interest you.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always