They drove that car?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Bottom post of the previous page:

LigierGitanes wrote: 9 months ago I have made a simple query on my self-created Formula One database to list one-time entries of drivers for a specific team, but only those drivers who had at least one entry for any other team. I think that this should fit into the "They drove that car?" surprise category.
"Entry" means that it makes no difference whether the driver took part in the race or not, i.e. DNQ counts as well (but not DNA).
My database data starts from 1980 (I'm slowly working my way back towards 1950...), so this list starts from 1980.
Non-Championship rounds are not included.

1980 Italy (Imola): Manfred Winkelhock (Arrows)
1980 Canada (Montreal): Kevin Cogan (Williams, private Entry)
1980 United States (Watkins Glen): Geoff Lees (Williams, private Entry)
1980 Netherlands (Zandvoort): Mike Thackwell (Arrows)
1981 USA West (Long Beach): Kevin Cogan (Tyrrell)
1982 France (Le Castellet): Geoff Lees (Lotus)
1982 USA West (Long Beach): Mario Andretti (Williams)
1982 Canada (Montreal): Geoff Lees (Theodore)
1982 Netherlands (Zandvoort): Roberto Moreno (Lotus)
1983 Europe (Brands Hatch): Jonathan Palmer (Williams)
1983 France (Le Castellet): Jean-Louis Schlesser (March)
1983 USA West (Long Beach): Alan Jones (Arrows)
1983 Canada (Montreal): Jacques Villeneuve sen. (March)
1984 Portugal (Estoril): Philippe Streiff (Renault)
1984 Portugal (Estoril): Manfred Winkelhock (Brabham)
1984 Canada (Montreal): Mike Thackwell (RAM)
1984 Italy (Monza): Pierluigi Martini (Toleman)
1985 Germany (Nürburgring): Francois Hesnault (Renault)
1986 United States (Detroit): Eddie Cheever (Lola)
1987 San Marino (Imola): Gabriele Tarquini (Osella)
1988 Australia (Adelaide): Pierre-Henri Raphanel (Lola)
1988 Italy (Monza): Jean-Louis Schlesser (Williams)
1988 Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps): Martin Brundle (Williams)
1989 Spain (Jerez): Gregor Foitek (Rial)
1989 France (Le Castellet): Martin Donnelly (Arrows)
1991 Australia (Adelaide): Bertrand Gachot (Lola)
1991 Australia (Adelaide): Gianni Morbidelli (Ferrari)
1991 Australia (Adelaide): Roberto Moreno (Minardi)
1991 Spain (Barcelona): Olivier Grouillard (AGS)
1991 Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps): Michael Schumacher (Jordan)
1992 South Africa (Kyalami): Enrico Bertaggia (Andrea Moda)
1992 South Africa (Kyalami): Alex Caffi (Andrea Moda)
1993 Portugal (Estoril): Emanuele Naspetti (Jordan)
1994 Australia (Adelaide): Jean-Denis Deletraz (Larrousse)
1994 Pacific (Aida): Aguri Suzuki (Jordan)
1994 Spain (Barcelona): Andrea Montermini (Simtek)
1994 Hungary (Hungaroring): Philippe Alliot (McLaren)
1994 Europe (Jerez): Eric Bernard (Lotus)
1994 Europe (Jerez): Johnny Herbert (Ligier)
1994 Japan (Suzuka): Takachiho Inoue (Simtek)
1995 Pacific (Aida): Jan Magnussen (McLaren)
1995 Europe (Nürburgring): Gabriele Tarquini (Tyrrell)
1997 Australia (Melbourne): Ricardo Rosset (Lola)
2005 San Marino (Imola): Alexander Wurz (McLaren)
2005 Malaysia (Sepang): Anthony Davidson (BAR)
2007 United States (Indianapolis): Sebastian Vettel (BMW Sauber)
2011 Canada (Montreal): Pedro de la Rosa (Sauber)
2011 Germany (Nürburgring): Karun Chandhok (Lotus)
2012 Italy (Monza): Jérôme D’Ambrosio (Lotus)
2014 United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi): Will Stevens (Caterham)
2017 Hungary (Budapest): Paul di Resta (Williams)
What about Rosset's team-mate Vincenzo Sospiri?
LigierGitanes
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One in the 1970s and 1980s
Favourite Racing Car: Ligier JS11
Favourite Driver: Carlos Reutemann
Favourite Circuit: Österreichring

Post by LigierGitanes »

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 9 months ago What about Rosset's team-mate Vincenzo Sospiri?
I didn't want to include drivers with only a single GP entry in their career, because these are usually associated with the team that they drove for on that occasion.
But anyway, here's the list - I'm a bit surprised that it is so short.

1980 USA West (Long Beach): Steven South (McLaren)
1980 Great Britain (Brands Hatch): Desiré Wilson (Williams, private entry)
1993 Italy (Monza): Marco Apicella (Jordan)
1997 Australia (Melbourne): Vincenzo Sospiri (Lola)
1999 Brazil (Interlagos): Stephane Sarrazin (Minardi)
2007 Germany (Nürburgring): Markus Winkelhock (Spyker)
2014 Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps): André Lotterer (Caterham)
2020 Sakhir (Sachir): Jack Aitken (Williams)
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

LigierGitanes wrote: 9 months ago
Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 9 months ago What about Rosset's team-mate Vincenzo Sospiri?
I didn't want to include drivers with only a single GP entry in their career, because these are usually associated with the team that they drove for on that occasion.
But anyway, here's the list - I'm a bit surprised that it is so short.

1980 USA West (Long Beach): Steven South (McLaren)
1980 Great Britain (Brands Hatch): Desiré Wilson (Williams, private entry)
1993 Italy (Monza): Marco Apicella (Jordan)
1997 Australia (Melbourne): Vincenzo Sospiri (Lola)
1999 Brazil (Interlagos): Stephane Sarrazin (Minardi)
2007 Germany (Nürburgring): Markus Winkelhock (Spyker)
2014 Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps): André Lotterer (Caterham)
2020 Sakhir (Sachir): Jack Aitken (Williams)
I guessed that.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Nyck de Vries makes a habit of it....of course his race debut at Monza is well known, but lets not forget he practiced on Friday for Aston Martin F1 so was at the track the following day. Suddenly prior to P3 Albon was hit with Appendicitis requiring immediate surgery. Nyck found himself in the Williams for P3 and the rest of the weekend.

However at Le Mans earlier this year he was present basically reserve for the Toyota Hypercar team, pretty much a coffee making role, when ACO officials prohibited TDS Racing x Vaillante LMP2 driver Philippe Cimadomo to start the race. Cimadomo was excluded from the running of the French classic on Thursday evening by stewards after being involved in three separate incidents in practice.. De Vries was there on the spot at Le Mans got into the car vacated by Cimadomo.

This next one is probably stretching the rules a bit but should be mentioned just for the hell of it.

Hans Heyer at the 1977 German GP.

Hans had never entered a GP before, being more of a European Touring car driver. (I think he was ETCC and German Touring Car Champion. He had never AFAIK even tested an F1 car although he had tried an F2 car. Anyway Heyer decided to enter the GP ( Icant remember if he bought the drive or had a sponsor for the day and I am going from memory.... @Michael Ferner being a local lad at the time will I am sure know the details better than I can recall. I recall it was the German ATS team (the remnants of Penske). I do know that usually they entered just Jarier but for Germany Heyer joined Jarier in a second car. The car was not a good car for sure

Anyway Hans practiced, but failed to qualify for the race. It was in the days when more cars would turn up and have to qualify for the 24 spots on the grid. He failed to qualify and was thus relegated to 3rd reserve. He would be allowed to start if a few cars failed on their way to the start.

Hans, being a local knew all the officials and marshalls very well, so he lined ready to start if others failed. No one stopped him so Heyer joined the back of the grid. As it happens the starting lights were not working so a flag was used to start the race. There was quite a lot of confusion and bumping, a couple of cars got together. Anyway in all the confusion Heyer just joined the race even though he was not meant to do so. His marshal mates certainly didnt stop him. He ran round for a number of laps before his gearbox linkage failed.

It was only after he had stopped that race officials were even aware he had started the race unofficially. So they promptly disqualified the already stopped Heyer. He never got a black DSQ flag though as he had already stopped before they realised.

His antics do give him the unique record of being the only F1 driver to be credited with a DNQ (did not qualify),a DNF (did not finish), and a DSQ in the same race, :whistling: :haha:

Hans Heyerat Hockenheim for the 1977 Geman GP in the ATS

I have a feeling that a few years before at the1974 US GP Tim Schenken decided to take the start despite failing to qualify .... unlike Heyer the officials noticed the extra car and he was black flagged and disqualified.
Hans Heyer also raced at Hockenheim in the 1976 European F2 season. Driving a Toj F201 under the Team Warsteiner Eurorace banner, he came 7th on the road in the first Hockenheim race of the season but he was awarded the final point as race winner Hans-Joachim Stuck was a graded driver and therefore, was not eligible for points. Heyer returned for the 2nd Hockenheim round but failed to qualify.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 9 months ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Nyck de Vries makes a habit of it....of course his race debut at Monza is well known, but lets not forget he practiced on Friday for Aston Martin F1 so was at the track the following day. Suddenly prior to P3 Albon was hit with Appendicitis requiring immediate surgery. Nyck found himself in the Williams for P3 and the rest of the weekend.

However at Le Mans earlier this year he was present basically reserve for the Toyota Hypercar team, pretty much a coffee making role, when ACO officials prohibited TDS Racing x Vaillante LMP2 driver Philippe Cimadomo to start the race. Cimadomo was excluded from the running of the French classic on Thursday evening by stewards after being involved in three separate incidents in practice.. De Vries was there on the spot at Le Mans got into the car vacated by Cimadomo.

This next one is probably stretching the rules a bit but should be mentioned just for the hell of it.

Hans Heyer at the 1977 German GP.

Hans had never entered a GP before, being more of a European Touring car driver. (I think he was ETCC and German Touring Car Champion. He had never AFAIK even tested an F1 car although he had tried an F2 car. Anyway Heyer decided to enter the GP ( Icant remember if he bought the drive or had a sponsor for the day and I am going from memory.... @Michael Ferner being a local lad at the time will I am sure know the details better than I can recall. I recall it was the German ATS team (the remnants of Penske). I do know that usually they entered just Jarier but for Germany Heyer joined Jarier in a second car. The car was not a good car for sure

Anyway Hans practiced, but failed to qualify for the race. It was in the days when more cars would turn up and have to qualify for the 24 spots on the grid. He failed to qualify and was thus relegated to 3rd reserve. He would be allowed to start if a few cars failed on their way to the start.

Hans, being a local knew all the officials and marshalls very well, so he lined ready to start if others failed. No one stopped him so Heyer joined the back of the grid. As it happens the starting lights were not working so a flag was used to start the race. There was quite a lot of confusion and bumping, a couple of cars got together. Anyway in all the confusion Heyer just joined the race even though he was not meant to do so. His marshal mates certainly didnt stop him. He ran round for a number of laps before his gearbox linkage failed.

It was only after he had stopped that race officials were even aware he had started the race unofficially. So they promptly disqualified the already stopped Heyer. He never got a black DSQ flag though as he had already stopped before they realised.

His antics do give him the unique record of being the only F1 driver to be credited with a DNQ (did not qualify),a DNF (did not finish), and a DSQ in the same race, :whistling: :haha:

Hans Heyerat Hockenheim for the 1977 Geman GP in the ATS

I have a feeling that a few years before at the1974 US GP Tim Schenken decided to take the start despite failing to qualify .... unlike Heyer the officials noticed the extra car and he was black flagged and disqualified.
Hans Heyer also raced at Hockenheim in the 1976 European F2 season. Driving a Toj F201 under the Team Warsteiner Eurorace banner, he came 7th on the road in the first Hockenheim race of the season but he was awarded the final point as race winner Hans-Joachim Stuck was a graded driver and therefore, was not eligible for points. Heyer returned for the 2nd Hockenheim round but failed to qualify.
Is Toj pronounced like the Todge in "Todger"? Or Tee Oh Jay?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Like Toy. Alternatively, you can say T e h - Ow - Yott, it's German after all (actually, it's Bavarian, so not really German either...)

EDIT - well, that's strange: I wrote "T e h" (without the spaces), but after hitting submit it says "the", auto correct one presumes. I try to edit, but my post still shows "T e h", and I can't change it to read "T e h" which would be the nearest pronunciation in ENglish for German "T". :annoyed:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Dale Earnhardt Jr did some testing with Paul Morris in a V8 Supercar during December 2007 at Queensland Raceway. According to Dale Jrs podcast, he managed to convince Morris to allow spotter and occasional short track driver T.J. Majors to have a run in the car, but Majors got stuck in the sand trap in the very first corner, clearly not used to the speed and braking distances. At the time Dale Jr floated the idea of running in V8 Supercars once his NASCAR career came to an end, but obviously that has never happened.

Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

DaleJuniorFan wrote: 1 year ago DTM champion Mattias Ekstrom ran two NASCAR Cup races for Red Bull in 2010:

Ekstrom also contested the 2013 Bathurst 1000, sharing the #10 Triple 8 Race Engineering Holden Commodore with Andy Priaulx, they finished 10th.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Gerhard Berger made a grand total of ONE career start in DTM - 1985 season opener at Zolder where he finished 8th in guest Schnitzer BMW entry. His teammate was Roberto Ravaglia who finished 2nd in his first DTM start.

In the background should be Volvo 240 Turbo of Heinz-Friedrich "Bimbo" Peil.

07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Motorcycle ace Andrea Dovizioso drove a W Racing Team Audi RS5 Turbo in the Misano round of the 2019 DTM Season (regular driver Pietro Fittipaldi crossed over to the Team Rosberg Audi in place of Jamie Green for said meeting). He finished both races with a best result of 12th in Race 1.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Marco Lucchinelli, who was the Grand Prix Motorcycling 500cc Champion in 1981, drove a works Lola T86/50 Cosworth at Imola in the 1986 International Formula 3000 Season. He finished 11th.
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

One Michael Schumacher made his one & only All-Japan F3000 start in 1991 at Sugo of all places. He finished 2nd behind Team LeMans teammate Ross Cheever. Those 6 points were good enough to see him classified 12th in the season standings.

The Suntory sponsor was apparently a coffee brand - sold in cans? :amazed: Must have been pretty big if they could afford TV commercials with Arnold Schwarzenegger :tongue:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Vassago wrote: 6 months ago
The Suntory sponsor was apparently a coffee brand - sold in cans? :amazed: Must have been pretty big if they could afford TV commercials with Arnold Schwarzenegger :tongue:
Vending machine culture is huge in Japan and buying coffee in a can is extremely normal. I checked on the history of West, apparently it was extremely bitter and didn't sell well, so they rebranded it as BOSS in the early 90s and that name is everywhere.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

I've never seen coffee being sold in a can in my country. I thought that could be some early energy drink attempts but I suppose it is/was coffee.

Japan had some weird ideas over the years like the menthol cigarettes craze :tongue:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago
Vending machine culture is huge in Japan and buying coffee in a can is extremely normal. I checked on the history of West, apparently it was extremely bitter and didn't sell well, so they rebranded it as BOSS in the early 90s and that name is everywhere.
Yep, Boss is here. Very thick aluminum!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 6 months ago
PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago
Yep, Boss is here. Very thick aluminum!
Certainly is..... in different types from black to iced Latte, Caramel Latte and Double Expresso, Vanilla Latte.... even Rainbow Mountain Blend.

$40 for 12x 237ml (180ml for the Rainbow Mountain blend.

https://store.suntorybosscoffee.com.au/

Sounds very odd..... made from "Agricultural Material" doesnt bear thinking about.

Your favourite Flash Brew coffee in a can from Japan is now available for "contact free" delivery by the case, to your door.
Flash brew coffee made with a rich Brazilian bean blend, milk and sugar.

* Caffeine level is variable, as coffee is an agricultural material in which caffeine naturally occurs. The variety of coffee bean used, geographical location, processing method, and how the coffee is prepared, are all factors that can effect caffeine level. A shot of coffee contains around 80-105mg of caffeine.

ImageImageImage

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always