2023 Supercars and Supports.

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2023 Supercars and Supports.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I know we still have one race left for 2022 but the 2023 Calendar has been released and so we have a 2023 thread in place for discussion as soon as this years final round is done in two weeks time.

Anyway the good news is, as far as I am concerned, that in the 2023 Calendar released today THE SANDOWN 500 IS BACK!!
It is part of Supercars that event, and to me the annual hit out with a co-driver race before Bathurst is the proper way. Needless to say its in its traditional spot pre the big one. Giving co drivers some miles before going to Bathurst might help avoid some of the carnage we saw this year. Not seen a Sandown 500 since 2018 so its about time. First non Bathurst co driver / enduro since 2019 as well.

We have 12 rounds set for 2023, one less than this year....with the return of Newcastle to the schedule, both Winton and the New Zealand event have been dropped, while Tony Quinn’s Queensland Raceway also remains off the calendar.... so a bit.sad no New Zealand round confirmed given the support they give the V8s and not to mention, a number of the drivers!

Of course as we know this coming season will see the intro of Gen 3, Camaros v Mustangs, from round 1

Anyway a summary of the season..... one thing I will mention is that the GP round will be a different format to normal..... Given the AGP also will have the FIA F2 and F3 categories on the card there is a lot of racing to fit in so it may be SC get shorter races, niot sure yet. All we know atm is the format will be different to the 4 sprint race norm.
The 2023 Supercars season begins with the Thrifty Newcastle 500 on March 10-12, before the Beaurepaires Melbourne 400 takes place when the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix occurs at Albert Park from March 30-April 2.

The Perth SuperSprint has been brought forward as Event 3 of the season, taking place at Wanneroo on April 28-30, with Supercars announcing a new, multi-year deal with the Western Australia Government.

The Ned Whisky Tasmania SuperSprint at Symmons Plains moves back to May 19-21 but the northern swing is unchanged, with the Darwin Triple Crown at Hidden Valley on June 16-18 and the NTI Townsville 500 on July 7-9.

The Beaurepaires Sydney SuperNight will be held on July 28-30, followed by the OTR SuperSprint at The Bend on August 18-20.

Making its return on September 15-17 will be the Penrite Oil Sandown 500, three weeks before the 60th anniversary edition of the Repco Bathurst 1000 takes place on October 5-8.

The Boost Mobile Gold Coast 500 stays a single-driver event, on October 27-29, before the 2023 Supercars season draws to a close on November 23-26 with the Valo Adelaide 500.

2023 Supercars calendar

Round# Event. Circuit Date

1. Thrifty Newcastle 500 Newcastle East Street Circuit, Newcastle, NSW Mar 10-12

2. Beaurepaires Melbourne 400 F1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix Albert Park GP Circuit, Melbourne, VIC Mar 30-Apr 2

3. Perth SuperSprint Wanneroo Raceway, Perth, WA Apr 28-30

4. Ned Whisky Tasmania SuperSprint Symmons Plains International Raceway, near Launceston, TAS May 19-21

5. Darwin Triple Crown Hidden Valley Raceway, Darwin, NT Jun 16-18

6. NTI Townsville 500 Reid Park Street Circuit, Townsville, QLD Jul 7-9

7. Beaurepaires Sydney SuperNight Sydney Motorsport Park, Sydney, NSW Jul 28-30

8. OTR SuperSprint The Bend Motorsport Park, Tailem Bend, SA Aug 18-20

9. Penrite Oil Sandown 500 Sandown International Motor Raceway, Melbourne, VIC Sep 15-17 Enduro

10. Repco Bathurst 1000 Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit, Bathurst, NSW Oct 5-8 Enduro

11. Boost Mobile Gold Coast 500 Surfers Paradise Street Circuit, Gold Coast, QLD Oct 27-29

12. Valo Adelaide 500 Adelaide Parklands Circuit, Adelaide, SA Nov 23-26
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Real shame that they couldn't find a replacement for Pukehohe but supposedly they're going back for 2024.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

theracer120 wrote: 1 year ago Real shame that they couldn't find a replacement for Pukehohe but supposedly they're going back for 2024.
I think it might be down to the funding of the event. The money to run Pukekohe came from Auckland Tourism / Council. I guess with Hampton Downs being in Waikato, although still North Island and within 80 klms or so of Auckland its a different council and different funding source. Auckland were a bit cagey about funding the latest events and trying to reduce spending.

Quinn's other track, Highlands Park is way down in the South Island. Besides which Quinn might be generous but Im not sure he would be up to putting money up to fund Supercars in NZ.

Happy to be corrected as I havent really followed the replacement options and stumbling blocks

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I hope Ziggo will broadcast the series again, next year. Great series, some fine drivers. Hopefully, SvG will not be that dominant like this year. All kudos to him, but, just like Max' season, some variety of winner would be great.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Tander decides not to renew with T888 for Enduro racing.

That comes as a bit of a shock really.... he was on to a good thing in terms of racking up Bathurst wins co-driving for SVG (2 of the last three went their way) but I guess at 45 he needs to get on with the next chapter of his life. I would have thought he might have been keen to give the Gen 3 a whirl given he is one of very few that have been part of Gen 1 and Gen 2 V8SC. Presumably the future will involve more media stuff now he is a key part of the V8 Coverage. T8 seem to be sying it was Garth's decision to depart and not a simple non renewal from T8 pov.
“GT has been a well-respected member of the Triple Eight team for the past four years, and we must acknowledge his remarkable contribution to the team which includes two Bathurst 1000 wins.

“Although we’re disappointed that he has decided not to renew his contract for next year, we must respect his decision.

“The search for his replacement is in full swing and I’m looking forward to speaking with drivers both domestic and abroad to find the best fit to co-pilot #97 alongside SVG for next year’s Sandown 500 and Bathurst 1000.”

Edit: Whoa, I just went to check on details of his departure from T888 and the first thing I notice is this breaking news :shocked:

Tander joins Grove Racing as co-driver

Just a few minutes after it was announced Tander would depart Triple Eight, Grove / Penrite Racing confirmed his appointment.

The five-time Bathurst 1000, including this year alongside SVG, will be behind the wheel of a Grove Racing Penrite Ford Mustang for next year’s Sandown 500 and Bathurst.. ... Interestingly Tander moving to Grove will mean that after 642 starts and 57 wins in Holden machinery, Garth will get behind the wheel of a Ford for the first time in V8SC.

I really didnt see that coming. Was there something about T8 that he didnt like? Personality clash somewhere.? Or simply more on offer with Grove?

Maybe it is something to do with this simultaneous announcement.....?

It was also announced that Sebastian Tander, Garth’s son, will join the Grove Junior Team competing in the SP Tools Australian Kart Championship. :idunno:

Tander, will also “play a crucial role in mentoring” new recruit Matt Payne in his rookie season.

“When they asked me to be part of what they are building for the future, not only as a driver, but also to help mentor Matt Payne, who has already proven to be an immense talent and also help guide the Grove Junior Team it was something that grabbed my attention.”

Team owner, Stephen Grove added:
“We identified the need for an experienced driver to work hand in hand with Matt in his first year.

“Garth was the obvious choice given his proven race-winning pedigree and experience in developing race-winning cars and teams.

“On top of that, we understood the need to bring a calculated driver into the fold to assist with the development of Gen3 in the early stages of the season, as well as the opportunity to take the best possible driving line-up into Bathurst.”
I have to say that I have been surprised byu both decisions, but I can see that with plenty more involvement in Grove with the mentoring and car development role it is a bit more than turning up once or twice a year to be sidekick to SVG. I guess we might see Garth taking on the co-driver role alongside Matt Payne. Certainly now I can see the potential for this to be a long term deal for Garth with future management roles within Grove.

It goes a long way to answering my question in the start of this post re the T888 departure as to what will the next chapter hold for Garth! :haha: :haha:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Erebus announce Coca Cola as new naming rights Sponsor

The Dandenong South (Melbourne suburb) based outfit will run under the Coca-Cola Racing by Erebus banner from next season.

In 2022, the team ran under the Boost Mobile Racing by Erebus moniker, however that backing will not continue next year.

No pics yet ..... Erebus will reveal the liveries of their Coca-Cola-backed Chevrolet Camaros, before the Gen3 entries hit the track in February.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bit of a juicy off-season rumour floating around today. It seems that Jake Kostecki was in an altercation with Scott Pye at the championship Gala awards and Tickford is now going to drop him, most likely for Declan Fraser who won Super2 for Triple 8 last year.

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/tickford-ti ... er-change/
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Excluding the much-maligned Jack Smith, Jake Kostecki was the second-lowest classified full-time driver and it sure looks like Thomas Randle had more pace overall but was always caught up in some crashes that badly affected his final standing. Dare I say Fraser couldn't do a worse job unless he crashes a lot?
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hmmm.... were Tickford looking for a way out of Kostecki? Not sure if he brought the Tradie money with him although I suspect not. I daresay T888 have added a bit to the pot to perhaps get Fraser a full time gig. It will make things easier come enduro time for T888. With both Lowndes and Whincup available for co driver roles and Tander out of the picture, they dont need to run a wildcard if Fraser was on an enduro promise.

But Jake is an idiot if he thinks its cool to get involved in a fisticuffs with another driver at an official function. Role Model etc. Not a sponsor's dream. I daresay the Supercars board or /and Motorsports Australia will get involved, depending on how serious 'a scuffle' it was.

At the end of the day Jake is no Brodie on the talent scale.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 1 year ago Bit of a juicy off-season rumour floating around today. It seems that Jake Kostecki was in an altercation with Scott Pye at the championship Gala awards and Tickford is now going to drop him, most likely for Declan Fraser who won Super2 for Triple 8 last year.

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/tickford-ti ... er-change/
Kostecki out of Tickford. *Confirmed*

As rumoured JKostecki now Confirmed out by Tickford.... supposedly by 'mutual consent'. No replacement nominaded but strong word is that Fraser has got the gig. As we thought it seems that Jake's 'altercation' is the reason / excuse

Kostecki responds to Tickford exit announcement

Shame that Zak Best seems to have been overlooked from those within the Tickford pool. He looked very impressive when he stepped up for a couple of wildcard gigs last season. I guess a few bucks from T8 might have swung the balance :idunno:

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Wonder if it's more Tickford trying to nab T888's hottest young talent (though Fraser probably wouldn't have anywhere to go at T888 unless SVG leaves anyway).

Fun fact about Jake Kostecki, he's never scored a single podium in his entire career. By comparison Jack Smith has won 29 races in his career in lower categories.

https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/jake-kostecki/

https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/jack-smith-6552977/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

As an aside, and a bit off topic and miscellaneous, but this might interest @Vassago and others, I see Neil Shembri, one time V8 privateer racer, and who has since then had an urge to collect vast numbers of "famous supercars" mainly from the Group C era, but generally anything ATCC related. Some are tributes (recreations) but most are genuine. Oh and he was quite successful in business. :wink:

This was one of them a while ago.... he isnt shy with his spending!

Classic Group C cars under the hammer

A bit more about him here: https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/sleuthing-v ... urite-car/

Anyway it seems he is having a bit of a clearout with over a dozen cars up for auction atm. Some quite tasty bits of kit in amongst them all.
Early days yet so im sure the prices will climb a bit.

Here is the auction link with all the cars listed and detailed: https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/Auction ... NG&pgs=100

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

T8 confirms Stanaway as van Gisbergen co-driver

Richie Stanaway will share the #97 Red Bull Ampol Racing Chevrolet Camaro with Shane van Gisbergen for this season’s Sandown and Bathurst Supercars enduros.

I know he did well last year with Greg Murphy in the Wildcard Bathurst entry but I jut cant get excited about him as a driver. Probably a hangover for when he had his first time effort and was, certainly at GRM, totally underwhelming. I didnt like him I must confess.. Also the fuss over him and Adderton and him replacing Tander at GRM rubbed me up the wrong way.

Ironic that once more he takes over a Tander seat, albeit at least this. time one that Tander had vacated and not one Garth got turfed out of for Stannaway.

I will add that I noticed Stanaway at Bathurst last year seemed to be very pleasant are far different from the self entitled dick I thought he was in his early V8 days. He seems to have grown as a person.

Big boots to fill though given GT's record with SVG in the T8 enduro gig.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

No surprises here.....

Declan Fraser confirmed at Tickford

Declan Fraser has been confirmed to replace Jake Kostecki at Tickford Racing for 2023.

Fraser won the 2022 Super2 Series and finished eighth on debut at the Bathurst 1000, co-driving with Craig Lowndes following an association with Triple Eight Race Engineering.

He will be running in the Tradie Racing entry vacated by Kostecki. It seems pretty clear there are no continuing ties with T888 so I guess with no vacancies on the horizon at T888 any ties with Declan were dissolved to let him pursue the Tickford opportunity. That I would say was the only help from T888 in making it happen.

I guess that might affect any Bathurst wildcard by T888 given last year JW was with Feeney in the regular #88 and Fraser was with Lowndes in the #888 Supercheap wildcard. Will T888 find another driver to join Lowndes for a Bathurst Wildcard this year or will they shelve that entry..... :idunno:

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The Triple Eight Supercheap wildcard car will be back this year, this time with Zane Goddard driving alongside Lowndes. They might do Sandown as well as Bathurst and possibly some sprint rounds too.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/01/25/go ... programme/