Drivers Penalties and Points *€1 million driver fine introduced!**

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Drivers Penalties and Points *€1 million driver fine introduced!**

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I mentioned in another thread the fact that Pierre Gasly is getting up there inpenalty points.... so much so he has to be a good boy until something like round 6 or 7 next year..... another 2 points and he faces an automatic one race ban,

In fact here is that post..... I have copied it into here as I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to drivers penalties.
So if you have opinions of the drivers points systems here is the place to air them.
I noticed Pierre Gasly, in picking up a silly penalty point in the Mexican race has now moved into the close proximity of a race ban as his demerit points close on the 12 that invoke a race ban. I say a silly point in Mexico.... it was for when he ran Sreoll off the road in passing him early in the race. He did in my eyes get inside Stroll but then opened the wheel and in the process pushed Stroll off the track. I think Gasly may have joined him.

Anyway Gasly rejoined ahead of Stroll.... to me it was clearly a breach of the rules as they are now in that he gained an advantage having left the track. The simple answer would have been to give back the place and do it again, but he just continued. He was a second per lap faster than Stroll which makes it more stupid. I was actually surprised the team did not advise him accordingly but apparently not. Sure enough the penalty was announced in short order.

He took the penalty at his stop, rejoined well behind Stroll and then drove back through to finish 11th, just 0.6 behind Bottas in 10th with Lando not far ahead in 9th.. No doubt a simple redress at the time would have seen Gasly leaving Mexico with at least with one championship point rather than a demerit point.

Nett result is that since Imola Gasly has now accumulated 10 demerit points.... if he adds another two in the next six races leading up to Imola next year he is automatically banned for a race. (Actually looking and Imola in 2023 is narly a month later so his 'probation may end in Miami the race prior. Still a long way away.

Silly also is post race he said he considered the redress but decided to wait for a race control warning that he needed to. Hello Pierre, that practice died when the Stewards clarified the off track advantage gained rule. Its not the Stewards job to warn people when its clear cut. His bitch should more be with his team for not advising him.

Instead he feels the need to discuss with the stewards why they are picking on him! He said he intends to speak with the Stewards to gain a better idea of where he’s going wrong in an effort to cover off the risk of being benched should he cop their wrath again.

“At the moment they are not happy with what I’m doing, so I’ll have a discussion with them to understand exactly what I’ve got to change.”

Here is a list of his penalty point 'gains' this year. I dont see any of them as unreasonable..... the Suzuka speeding thing , well I think 250kpm under flags with no visibility in the wet is not being picked on. The others are equally clear.

Im sure Alpine wont be too impressed should he get banned when he has joined them.... Alpine didnt pay a kings ransom to release him from his AT contract for him to be put on the naughty chair and not be allowed to race.

On the other hand no doubt if that happens we Aussies will be enjoying two Aussies on the grid with Doohan, as next year's Alpinr reserve, joining the now at McLaren Piastri.

Gasly’s Superlicence penalty points in 2022

Date Event Incident Points
22/05/2022 Spanish Grand Prix Collision with Stroll at Turn 1 2
10/07/2022 Austrian Grand Prix Collision with Vettel at Turn 4 2
10/07/2022 Austrian Grand Prix Leaving the track without a justifiable reason multiple times 1
09/10/2022 Japanese Grand Prix Speeding under red flag conditions 2
23/10/2022 United States Grand Prix Falling more than 10 car lengths behind the Safety Car 2
30/10/2022 Mexico City Grand Prix Leaving the track and gaining an advantage 1
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 6 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Whilst I have started the ball rolling here is a current as at Mexico 2022 of all the current drivers penalties including details of what the penalties were for and when those points expire.

To remind you, drivers are allowed to accumulate a maximum of 12 points over a rolling 12-month period before facing a one-race ban.

For info, the last F1 driver to serve a ban from racing was Roman Grosjean, a decade ago in 2012 when he was given a one-race ban for triggering an opening corner crash at the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix.

I mentioned Gasly's situation in the previous post.... his AT teamate Yuki Tsunoda is also getting into tthe realms of a potential ban, having accrued 9 moints of the 12 that attract an automatic ban. Fortunately for Yuki 2 of those points expire this month as they dated back to November last year.

Current Formula 1 Superlicence penalty points (as at Mwxico 2022.

Driver Pts
Pierre Gasly 10
Yuki Tsunoda 9
Alex Albon 6
Daniel Ricciardo 6
Max Verstappen 5
Nicholas Latifi 5
Esteban Ocon 5
Lance Stroll 4
Fernando Alonso 4
George Russell 4
Kevin Magnussen 3
Guanyu Zhou 3
Sergio Perez 2
Valtteri Bottas 2
Sebastian Vettel 2
Lando Norris 1
Charles Leclerc 1
Mick Schumacher 1

All incidents resulting in (active) Superlicence penalty points. Starting with the oldest current points 'earned

Date Driver Event Incident Points
14/11/2021 Yuki Tsunoda Sao Paulo Grand Prix Collision with Stroll in Turn 1 2
21/11/2021 Max Verstappen Qatar Grand Prix Failure to respect double yellow flag during Qualifying 2
21/11/2021 Valtteri Bottas Qatar Grand Prix Failure to respect single yellow flag during Qualifying 2
05/12/2021 Max Verstappen Saudi Arabia Grand Prix Leaving the track and gaining a lasting advantage 1
05/12/2021 Max Verstappen Saudi Arabia Grand Prix Braked in a manner which caused a collision with Hamilton at Turn 26 2
05/12/2021 Yuki Tsunoda Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Collision with Vettel in Turn 2 2
20/03/2022 Esteban Ocon Bahrain Grand Prix Collision with Mick Schumacher 2
26/03/2022 Daniel Ricciardo Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Impeding Ocon 1
27/03/2022 Alex Albon Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Collision with Stroll 2
09/04/2022 Lance Stroll Australian Grand Prix Collision with Albon 2
08/05/2022 Daniel Ricciardo Miami Grand Prix Leaving track and gaining an advantage 1
08/05/2022 Fernando Alonso Miami Grand Prix Collision with Gasly 2
08/05/2022 Fernando Alonso Miami Grand Prix Leaving track and gaining an advantage 1
08/05/2022 Kevin Magnussen Miami Grand Prix Collision with Stroll 2
22/05/2022 Pierre Gasly Spanish Grand Prix Collision with Stroll at Turn 1 2
22/05/2022 Yuki Tsunoda Spanish Grand Prix Leaving the track without a justifiable reason multiple times 1
29/05/2022 Alex Albon Monaco Grand Prix Leaving the track at Turn 10 and gained a lasting advantage 1
29/05/2022 Esteban Ocon Monaco Grand Prix Collision with Hamilton at Turn 1 1
12/06/2022 Nicholas Latifi Azerbaijan Grand Prix Ignoring blue flags during the race 1
19/06/2022 Fernando Alonso Canadian Grand Prix More than one change of direction to defend a position 1
03/07/2022 Yuki Tsunoda British Grand Prix Causing a collision with Gasly at Turn 3 2
09/07/2022 Alex Albon Austrian Grand Prix Forcing another driver off the track 2
10/07/2022 George Russell Austrian Grand Prix Collision with Perez at Turn 4 2
10/07/2022 Guanyu Zhou Austrian Grand Prix Leaving the track without a justifiable reason multiple times 1
10/07/2022 Lando Norris Austrian Grand Prix Leaving the track without a justifiable reason multiple times 1
10/07/2022 Pierre Gasly Austrian Grand Prix Collision with Vettel in Turn 4 2
10/07/2022 Pierre Gasly Austrian Grand Prix Leaving the track without a justifiable reason multiple times 1
10/07/2022 Sebastian Vettel Austrian Grand Prix Leaving the track without a justifiable reason multiple times 1
24/07/2022 Esteban Ocon French Grand Prix Collision with Tsunoda at Turn 8 2
24/07/2022 Guanyu Zhou French Grand Prix Collision with Schumacher between Turn 11 and 12 2
31/07/2022 Daniel Ricciardo Hungarian Grand Prix Collision with Stroll at Turn 2 2
04/09/2022 Sebastian Vettel Dutch Grand Prix Ignoring blue flags during the race 1
09/09/2022 Yuki Tsunoda Italian Grand Prix Failing to slow under yellow flags after Turn 5 2
11/09/2022 Kevin Magnussen Italian Grand Prix Leaving the track and gaining an advantage at Turn 2 1
02/10/2022 Nicholas Latifi Singapore Grand Prix Collision with Zhou at Turn 5 2
03/10/2022 Sergio Perez Singapore Grand Prix Falling more than 10 car lengths behind the Safety Car 2
09/10/2022 Charles Leclerc Japanese Grand Prix Leaving the track and gaining an advantage 1
09/10/2022 Pierre Gasly Japanese Grand Prix Speeding under red flag conditions 2
23/10/2022 Alex Albon United States Grand Prix Left the track at Turn 12 and rejoined but retained its position 1
23/10/2022 George Russell United States Grand Prix Incident with Sainz at Turn 1 2
23/10/2022 Lance Stroll United States Grand Prix Moving in a manner which caused a collision with Alonso between Turn 11 and 12 2
23/10/2022 Mick Schumacher United States Grand Prix Leaving the track without a justifiable reason multiple times 1
23/10/2022 Nicholas Latifi United States Grand Prix Collided with Schumacher at Turn 12 2
23/10/2022 Pierre Gasly United States Grand Prix Falling more than 10 car lengths behind the Safety Car 2
30/10/2022 Daniel Ricciardo Mexico City Grand Prix Causing a collision with Tsunoda 2
30/10/2022 Pierre Gasly Mexico City Grand Prix Leaving the track and gaining an advantage 1
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I think those Max ones at Abu Dhabi are Jeddah.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago I think those Max ones at Abu Dhabi are Jeddah.
Yes I think you are correct.... the famous Jeddah brake test over giving a place back and the DRS zone following.
I will correct it.

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Have HAM's point all been timed out? I thought he got a few last year and maybe the beginning of this year?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago Have HAM's point all been timed out? I thought he got a few last year and maybe the beginning of this year?
2020 was the year I think that he got a few.... and I know 4 expired in mid 2021.

This is what he had as at July 2021
Lewis Hamilton – 2 points
With Lewis Hamilton’s four penalty points for his various 2020 Austrian Grand Prix infringements – failing to slow under yellows in quali, and then forcing Alex Albon off track in the race – having expired on July 5, Hamilton now sits on two points.

Those two were earned thanks to his coming in the pit lane when it was closed at Monza last year – paving the way for Pierre Gasly’s cockle-warming win.
That is a little ambiguous... in terms of the full year anyway.

Actually this works better...
This is his record of points by year since 2014 when they started the penalty points.

Driver ............2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-Total Points Current Points
Lewis Hamilton 0..... 2........0.......2........0........3.......8........2.......0....... 17........... 0

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago

Mwxico?

Gasly and Tsunoda are sailing close to the wind aren't they? They're going to have to be good boys or else they're going to be in big trouble before long.

So Hamilton and Sainz are the only ones currently with 0 points? Good for them.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

I'd love it if Hamilton picked up a couple of points, and Max gets his slate cleaned.

I'm sure the CultLH idiots would go quiet on penalty points then... Funny considering they spent 6 months saying Max was going to get a race ban.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago

Mwxico?

Gasly and Tsunoda are sailing close to the wind aren't they? They're going to have to be good boys or else they're going to be in big trouble before long.

So Hamilton and Sainz are the only ones currently with 0 points? Good for them.
Yeah
Mwxico City! :haha:

Yes it was Gasly's situation that got me onto this whole subject. He doesnt lose any until end May next year. Tsunoda not so bad as he loses 2 points next race, actually 14th November (They last / roll over for 12 months ). Yuki then loses another 2 points on 5th December.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

If Gasly behaves badly and gets penalty points in the last race then, he could potentially have to miss the first race of 2023 with his new team Alpine. That would be awkward for him but more so for them. I can't imagine they'd be impressed.

Tsunoda's situation isn't that bad if he's dropping points soon.

I did know they lasted for 12 months, and it's only right they do suffer if they get too many, it's the same kind of thing as would happen if you drive on the road and get penalty points.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Here is a list of all drivers who have received penalty points by year since the current system was brought in in 2014.
Im sure @Star wont like the fact that a certain driver tops the most points accrued table.... :wink:

Interesting is Daniil Kvyat is up there 4th overall and he managed his tally in 5 seasons.

Max started up hi career with a solid 8 first year..... Yuki is the only other guy to match that in his rookie year.
Not many have reached 8 in any year.... the only ones being Max Daniil Kvyat, Lewis Yuki plus of course Gasly with the record for a season haul of 10... with 2 races to improve on that.

Some old favourites feature, Maldonado, Mazepin

Anyway here is the list.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

I'm sure I don't know what you mean @Everso Biggyballies :whistling:

It's odd with Gasly, he's been fine until this year, then he's suddenly got so many all in one season. You have to wonder what has changed and has caused him to be so different suddenly.

It's a great chart, I will admit I did enjoy looking through it, apart from the top like that you speak of which I barely noticed at all :tongue: :haha: The chart certainly shows who has a temper or just drives recklessly doesn't it?

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Star wrote: 1 year ago It's odd with Gasly, he's been fine until this year, then he's suddenly got so many all in one season. You have to wonder what has changed and has caused him to be so different suddenly.
Actually, you give your self partly the answer. Until this year, he was fine. The Alpha Tauri is this year not a great contender in the championship. He scored only in 6 races this year and the best result was a fifth in Baku. While last year, he scored 110 points, a podium at Baku, and a total of 15 points scores. He is unhappy at AT. And wants to leave the team. The "best thing" to do for him is to score 2 penalty points at Brazil, sit the race out at Abu Dhabi, so he can start with a clean sheet at Alpine.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

erwin greven wrote: 1 year ago
Star wrote: 1 year ago It's odd with Gasly, he's been fine until this year, then he's suddenly got so many all in one season. You have to wonder what has changed and has caused him to be so different suddenly.
Actually, you give your self partly the answer. Until this year, he was fine. The Alpha Tauri is this year not a great contender in the championship. He scored only in 6 races this year and the best result was a fifth in Baku. While last year, he scored 110 points, a podium at Baku, and a total of 15 points scores. He is unhappy at AT. And wants to leave the team. The "best thing" to do for him is to score 2 penalty points at Brazil, sit the race out at Abu Dhabi, so he can start with a clean sheet at Alpine.
Actually that makes sense, it would be better to get the ban out of the way. Once you've had the ban, what happens to the points? I mean do you essentially start from scratch again or are they still there looming over you if you do something else that's stupid?

DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

Hamilton should be penalized for wearing Clowny clothes :tongue: :annoyed: