Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

2023 NTT Indycar series - News, rumours and circlework

Post by MonteCristo »

People, I have sad news. With the annual reveal of @John's wiener, we have ourselves the end of an Indycar season.

But behold! With the dawning of John's wiener, we have a new season ahead of us - one filled with new drivers, perhaps new teams, and heavens knows how much contract silliness.

Onwards to 2023!

IndyCar Series 2023 calendar

1 Streets of St Petersburg Sunday, Mar 5
2 Texas Motor Speedway Sunday, Apr 2
3 Streets of Long Beach Sunday, Apr 16
4 Barber Motorsports Park Sunday, Apr 30
5 Indianapolis Motor Speedway (road course) Saturday, May 13
6 Indianapolis Motor Speedway (oval) Sunday, May 28
7 Streets of Detroit Sunday, Jun 4
8 Road America Sunday, Jun 18
9 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Sunday, Jul 2
10 Streets of Toronto Sunday, Jul 16
11 Iowa Speedway Saturday, Jul 22
12 Iowa Speedway Sunday, Jul 23
13 Streets of Nashville Sunday, Aug 6
14 Indianapolis Motor Speedway (road course) Saturday, Aug 12
15 World Wide Technology Raceway Sunday, Aug 27
16 Portland International Raceway Sunday, Sep 3
17 WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca Sunday, Sep 10
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

And so much to look forward to.... we have driver moves /lawsuits, teams taking drivers and even other teams to the Only in Murica Supreme Court, not to mention a driver saying no I am not driving for you, even if you have an option on me. And that is just one position, that of Palou.

We also have the witnessing of which of 3000+ candidates and contracted people (from many other teams) will Zak Brown decide is the preferred option for the McLaren Mobsters.

We also have the prospect of how far Davido Mucous's star will rise next year (sorry, but the name has stuck.... blame the Bus Bros)

Talking of the Bus Bros, what will replace that in the off season?

So much to look forward to. And we are but a day into the close season.

Soon even the thought of @John's Weiner on an all too beige background of beigeness will be a long lost memory.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

The legend of the corkscrew wiener.

Felix said during the Swedish broadcast yesterday that he's pretty confident of racing in IndyCar in 2023 and if Palou does come over to ASPM he has plenty of teams on the stand-by. Guessing Juncos and Andretti, at least. So hopefully three Swedes in Indycar next year. That's like half the country.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago And so much to look forward to.... we have driver moves /lawsuits, teams taking drivers and even other teams to the Only in Murica Supreme Court, not to mention a driver saying no I am not driving for you, even if you have an option on me. And that is just one position, that of Palou.

Soon even the thought of @John's Weiner on an all too beige background of beigeness will be a long lost memory.
Talking about Palou......He now refuses to rule out staying at Ganassi in 2023

How things change..... it seems Alex has gone from I wont be driving for CGR next. year to "Dont rule is out!"
Alex Palou is non-committal on where, or perhaps even if, he will drive in the 2023 IndyCar Series after winning this year’s season finale for Chip Ganassi Racing.

The dominant performance on the final day of the season could prove to be a very ironic occurrence, however, given the ongoing legal battle with Ganassi.

The two parties are apparently still in mediation after Palou publicly stated that he would be driving for the McLaren Racing organisation next year, notwithstanding that his current employer claims to have exercised an option on his services.

In his post-race television interview, he was asked if he might be back in Car #10 next year.

Palou responded, “Things are evolving good, so we’ll see when we can tell.

“But yeah, we’re going to enjoy the moment now and we’ll see what happens.”

Queried on the matter further in the post-race press conference, he said, “Yeah, they’re waiting to see what happens as all of you guys are.

“Unfortunately, I don’t have anything to share.

“I think everything is moving to the right direction; I don’t know if it’s going to take one day, one week, or one month, but hopefully everything is going to be solved soon.

“As I said, I think I don’t have anything to say clear, but everything is moving in the right direction.”

Awkwardly, Chip Ganassi himself was watching on just metres away during the aforementioned television interview.

The two are on speaking terms, although how openly is questionable, and Palou says they have talked about next year.

Asked if he thinks there is a chance he will stay at the Honda-powered squad after all, he said, “Yeah, we’ll see.

“When I know… I wish I could tell you guys, like ‘Hey, yeah, I’m doing this.’

“But I don’t have an answer yet. Maybe tomorrow.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/09/12/pa ... i-in-2023/

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Soon even the thought of @John's Weiner on an all too beige background of beigeness will be a long lost memory.
Don't be so pessimistic. I'm sure @John's weiner will rise again in 12 months or so, only to flop down the Corkscrew once again.

At least, I have faith!

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago And so much to look forward to.... we have driver moves /lawsuits, teams taking drivers and even other teams to the Only in Murica Supreme Court, not to mention a driver saying no I am not driving for you, even if you have an option on me. And that is just one position, that of Palou.

Talking about Palou......He now refuses to rule out staying at Ganassi in 2023

How things change..... it seems Alex has gone from I wont be driving for CGR next. year to "Dont rule is out!"
Alex Palou is non-committal on where, or perhaps even if, he will drive in the 2023 IndyCar Series after winning this year’s season finale for Chip Ganassi Racing.

The dominant performance on the final day of the season could prove to be a very ironic occurrence, however, given the ongoing legal battle with Ganassi.

The two parties are apparently still in mediation after Palou publicly stated that he would be driving for the McLaren Racing organisation next year, notwithstanding that his current employer claims to have exercised an option on his services.

In his post-race television interview, he was asked if he might be back in Car #10 next year.

Palou responded, “Things are evolving good, so we’ll see when we can tell.

“But yeah, we’re going to enjoy the moment now and we’ll see what happens.”

Queried on the matter further in the post-race press conference, he said, “Yeah, they’re waiting to see what happens as all of you guys are.

“Unfortunately, I don’t have anything to share.

“I think everything is moving to the right direction; I don’t know if it’s going to take one day, one week, or one month, but hopefully everything is going to be solved soon.

“As I said, I think I don’t have anything to say clear, but everything is moving in the right direction.”

Awkwardly, Chip Ganassi himself was watching on just metres away during the aforementioned television interview.

The two are on speaking terms, although how openly is questionable, and Palou says they have talked about next year.

Asked if he thinks there is a chance he will stay at the Honda-powered squad after all, he said, “Yeah, we’ll see.

“When I know… I wish I could tell you guys, like ‘Hey, yeah, I’m doing this.’

“But I don’t have an answer yet. Maybe tomorrow.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/09/12/pa ... i-in-2023/
Would be rather funny if Zak's legal team got the Piastri situation correct, but the Palou one wrong.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Crikey blink and it all happens..... well I suppose Palou did say 'maybe news today'

It seems mediation took place and lots of handshaking and smiling was done. I wonder if part of it was Zak Brown realising he does not need 3000+ drivers for a total of 7 open wheeler cars (FE, F! and Indy) :tongue: :wink:

Palou stays with Ganassi, McLaren SP confirms Rosenqvist

Good news for Felix :thumbsup:

Alex Palou will stay with Chip Ganassi Racing after all, meaning Felix Rosenqvist retains his IndyCar seat at McLaren SP, both teams have confirmed. :smiley:

However, Palou will still do an Formula 1 testing programme with McLaren..... whatever that might involve.

Palou has tweeted, “I’m excited to announce that @CGRTeams and I have come to an agreement and I’ll be back in the No. 10 car next season!

“Looking forward to a BIG 2023!”

He added in subsequent tweets, “I’m also grateful that @CGRTeams will allow me to pursue F1 testing with @McLarenF1 outside of my INDYCAR commitments.

The 25-year-old concluded, “Thank you Chip [Ganassi], Mike [Hull, CGR Managing Director] and the entire team for your willingness to work together and help support both the team and my personal goals throughout this process.”
And CGR did not respond with a No way is Palou going near the #10 next year :haha: :haha: .... they confirmed Palou’s announcement.

McLaren in the meantime has made its own statement regarding Rosenqvist,....
and apparently Palou has already done something to do iwth his F1 training today. (Alex can you go sweep out the simulator room :wink: )
“McLaren Racing today announces that Felix Rosenqvist will join Pato O’Ward and Alex Rossi in its three-car NTT Indycar Series lineup for 2023,”

“The team can also confirm Alex Palou has joined its Formula 1 2021 MCL35M car testing programme (TPC) and began his first test today.”
Ganassi now has three of its drivers locked in, with Palou, Scott Dixon, and Marcus Ericsson staying on, .....although questions remain around Jimmie Johnson and the #48 entry.

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

The only sensible way for this mess to end.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Ohmergerd, it didn't escalate to thermonuclear war?!?!

We'll see what 2023 brings.

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

IndyCar set to return to Texas

Negotiations between the NTT IndyCar Series and Speedway Motorsports Inc. have produced a new contract for the open-wheel series to return to Texas Motor Speedway.

According to TMS, it’s “proud to once again host the NTT IndyCar Series in 2023. The April 2 race, the first in a multi-year partnership with IndyCar, will be the 27th consecutive year, and 36th race overall.”

The next visit for IndyCar in the heart of Texas will include an old partner on the undercard.

“The NASCAR CRAFTSMAN Truck Series returns as the first race of a weekend doubleheader with the NTT IndyCar Series on Saturday, April 1, after three years apart,” TMS confirmed. “The two series ran a doubleheader weekend together at the speedway from 1997 through 2019.”

The rest of the 17-race IndyCar calendar is due to be revealed in an imminent release from the series.
https://racer.com/2022/09/14/indycar-se ... -to-texas/

Not the biggest fan, but Indycar needs to retain its ovals. And in the absence of swapping them for something better, this will do.

Hopefully they continue to remove that awful PJ1 compound. The running on the higher line with the extra practice session seemed to help a little. With a bit of luck they extend that session, allow more cars, and nitwits like Helio actually do what they're meant to instead of just using it as an extra practice session.

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

John wrote: 1 year ago https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sp ... n-2641788/

Kyle Busch with ASPM at the 500?
Wot.... no F1 testing deal as well? :nuts: :sarcasm:

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

https://youtu.be/zIC9GoOJKP4?t=790

Great to see Will Power* make an appearance on Bus Bros.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago https://youtu.be/zIC9GoOJKP4?t=790

Hehehehe .... Will Power (aka Kurt Hammer) tells a good yarn..

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago https://youtu.be/zIC9GoOJKP4?t=790

Hehehehe .... Will Power (aka Kurt Hammer) tells a good yarn..
That's his stage name.

He's actually Will's uncle - Max Power.