Belgian GP saved for 2023 after South Africa talks collapse

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

After talks for an imminent return to Kyalami collapsed this week, the Belgian Grand Prix has been granted a reprieve for another year, RacingNews365.com can reveal.

Hopes for a South African Grand Prix in 2023 have been dashed after a series of negotiations between Formula 1, the local race promoter and the owners of the Kyalami circuit broke down, RacingNews365.com can exclusively reveal.

Although Formula 1, owned by Liberty Media, is determined to stage a race in Africa, a new promoter is likely to be sought, with 2024 now the revised target date. The current promoter company, South African Grand Prix (Pty) Ltd, headed by Warren Scheckter – nephew of 1979 Ferrari world champion Jody, who is chairman of the company – has been informed of the decision, a source confirmed.

The decision means that the Belgian Grand Prix has been granted a reprieve for 2023, currently facing the axe after its contract expires this weekend, although RacingNews365.com understands that any further Grands Prix at the historic Spa-Francorchamps circuit will be contingent upon a rotational deal with another venue.

An announcement is expected this weekend, potentially as early as Saturday morning, with a provisional 2023 calendar (pending FIA ratification in October) subject to contract completion issued thereafter. The calendar is expected to list 24 races including a provisional Chinese Grand Prix, with the Belgian date back-to-backed with either the British Grand Prix in mid-July or with the Hungarian race later that month.

The major stumbling block for the 2023 race was a lack of tangible government support, with the South African Department of Tourism having been prepared to contribute via a special tourist levy but not issue guarantees.

Billionaire Patrice Motsepe, South Africa's richest man and President of the Confederation of African Football, initially held talks with SAGP with a view to funding the event on a loan basis, but the company was unable to meet the circuit lease conditions stipulated by Kyalami. Motsepe is the brother-in-law of South Africa's State President Cyril Ramaphosa.

Toby Venter, whose family trust controls Kyalami, has consistently stated that he would welcome a South African Grand Prix at the circuit, but "Not at any cost". He once pointed out to RacingNews365.com that every SAGP promoter had eventually fallen into liquidation…

Motorsport South Africa, the FIA's local sporting authority, had also expressed concerns about the compressed timeframe, pointing out that the country had not hosted a Grand Prix for 30 years. MSA President Anton Roux flew to the Austrian Grand Prix in July to discuss the situation.

Another stumbling block was that the South African circuit would require upgrades costing an estimated $15m to comply with FIA Grade 1 licence requirements. The tight timeframe for construction – an April date was targeted – combined with the promoter funding issues spelt an end to a 2023 race at the Highveld circuit which last hosted a Grand Prix in 1993, won by Alain Prost and Williams-Renault.

RacingNews365.com believes that a separate consortium is investigating taking on the project, potentially with funding from the Miami-based 777 investment company. A representative for the group, which acted as local promoter for Kyalami's Intercontinental GT Championship leg in February, is said to have visited F1 in London on Wednesday to open preliminary discussions.
https://racingnews365.com/belgian-gp-sa ... s-collapse
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Sad for SA, but Yay for Belgium! Is there a world where we can have both? I'll take that one please.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago Sad for SA, but Yay for Belgium! Is there a world where we can have both? I'll take that one please.
Hopefully China will become so Covid unfriendly Spa will replace that

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

At some point Liberty needs to understand that they can't axe every historic venue in place of yet another non descript street circuit.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

John wrote: 1 year ago At some point Liberty needs to understand that they can't axe every historic venue in place of yet another non descript street circuit.
Liberty seem to have more greed and fewer morals than Bernie ever did. Just sayin...... :suspicious: :whistling:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

John wrote: 1 year ago At some point Liberty needs to understand that they can't axe every historic venue in place of yet another non descript street circuit.
Give them another 4-5 races :P.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Yay!!!! Spa is and always has been my favourite track. No offense to South Africa, I don't know how good their circuit is but I am just happy not to lose Spa in favour of them!

Why do they want to get rid of the classic circuits that the fans and indeed the drivers enjoy so much? It makes no sense at all to me!
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Liberty seem to have more greed and fewer morals than Bernie ever did. Just sayin...... :suspicious: :whistling:
And believe me, that takes some doing :haha:

Bernie was up in court again the other day over his fraud case. I didn't hear what happened though.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 1 year ago
Why do they want to get rid of the classic circuits that the fans and indeed the drivers enjoy so much? It makes no sense at all to me!
Sadly its down to $$$, with the likes of Spa relying on Sponsorship and private backing against these new Government back squillion dollar hosting fees they are prepared to pay.

That and the 'new more juvenile F1 fan doesnt understand the word tradition of history and seem to cherish the thought of racing down Sunset Strip, or believing the painted water and temporary marinas and beach settings for glamorous models to be just as good as Miami and all the hype.

To me Liberty need to balance things out a bit. By all means have a couple of ridiculous events like the Middle East and Miami etc but use the vast income they make from them to maybe offset the maintaining of less wealthy none Govt backed venues on the calendar. Sadly it seems the greed of the shareholders of Liberty cannot look farther than a glossy bottom line however it is arrived at.

Sacrificing a couple of million to maintain tradition and the hardcore fan does not seem to be their bottom line greed driven objectives.

Ultimately Liberty care not one little rat's bum about whether people actually go to races..... they are much happier to see people sat at home making payments to F1TV and the various pay TV broadcasters and driving their ratings up and along with it the value of the broadcasting rights they sell.
[/end old fart rant] :sick:

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Star wrote: 1 year ago
Sadly its down to $$$, with the likes of Spa relying on Sponsorship and private backing against these new Government back squillion dollar hosting fees they are prepared to pay.

That and the 'new more juvenile F1 fan doesnt understand the word tradition of history and seem to cherish the thought of racing down Sunset Strip, or believing the painted water and temporary marinas and beach settings for glamorous models to be just as good as Miami and all the hype.

To me Liberty need to balance things out a bit. By all means have a couple of ridiculous events like the Middle East and Miami etc but use the vast income they make from them to maybe offset the maintaining of less wealthy none Govt backed venues on the calendar. Sadly it seems the greed of the shareholders of Liberty cannot look farther than a glossy bottom line however it is arrived at.

Sacrificing a couple of million to maintain tradition and the hardcore fan does not seem to be their bottom line greed driven objectives.

Ultimately Liberty care not one little rat's bum about whether people actually go to races..... they are much happier to see people sat at home making payments to F1TV and the various pay TV broadcasters and driving their ratings up and along with it the value of the broadcasting rights they sell.
[/end old fart rant] :sick:
Sadly what you say is true. I mean, who cares about tradition and what the actual fans want to see? Who cares about good races on historic tracks? Apparently Liberty don't and that sucks.

F1 isn't a sport anymore, over the years it's become nothing more than a money making endeavour and that is so, so, so wrong :sorrow: :tearful:

Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Spa saved for another year?? Or couple of years?
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

I'd rather have those cars back than that shitty track!

(Mind you, before the rebuild in the nineties Kyalami was quite superb!)
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Michael Ferner wrote: 11 months ago I'd rather have those cars back than that shitty track!

Did you watch the GT races there? Every race until now had been a massive success. Great racing. Instant favourite among GT race fans.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 11 months ago
Michael Ferner wrote: 11 months ago I'd rather have those cars back than that shitty track!

Did you watch the GT races there? Every race until now had been a massive success. Great racing. Instant favourite among GT race fans.
I have learnt @Michael Ferner has zero interest in any race car with either a roof or hidden wheels. :haha: :wink: