Silly Season and Pay - 2023/2024

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Aty wrote: 1 month ago
Ruslan wrote: 1 month ago With Andreas Seidl in place at Audi, does this mean that Sainz is sure to follow? They worked together when they were both at McLaren.
Carlos hasn't confirmed where he is going. My guess is that he would probably like two or three years with RBR and/or Mercedes before he embarks on his journey with Andreas. I think Audi might not be able to make any admirable headlines before 2028. They will suppliy money and PU, but who is the Pierre Waché alike at Sauber? It may not be completely fair from me, but I am still having some doubts about James Key who is there at the technical helm at the moment. His performance at RBR and McLaren...
He should probably lock in his seat with Audi now. The only other seat available is Mercedes or the second Red Bull seat. I don't think he wants to be in the latter and there are probably at least three candidates in the line ahead of him for the Mercedes seat (Max, Ocon and Albon). Now, it would be worthwhile to go to Red Bull if Max leaves, but I think there is a very low chance that Max will leave.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Ruslan wrote: 1 month ago
Ruslan wrote: 1 month ago With Andreas Seidl in place at Audi, does this mean that Sainz is sure to follow? They worked together when they were both at McLaren.
Carlos hasn't confirmed where he is going. My guess is that he would probably like two or three years with RBR and/or Mercedes before he embarks on his journey with Andreas. I think Audi might not be able to make any admirable headlines before 2028. They will suppliy money and PU, but who is the Pierre Waché alike at Sauber? It may not be completely fair from me, but I am still having some doubts about James Key who is there at the technical helm at the moment. His performance at RBR and McLaren...
He should probably lock in his seat with Audi now. The only other seat available is Mercedes or the second Red Bull seat. I don't think he wants to be in the latter and there are probably at least three candidates in the line ahead of him for the Mercedes seat (Max, Ocon and Albon). Now, it would be worthwhile to go to Red Bull if Max leaves, but I think there is a very low chance that Max will leave.
Sauber / Audi have reached a new milestone this week with the automaker taking over formerly Sauber's racing operations, with Seidl at the head. Andreas has now freedom to evaluate driver's market and it will be his decision at the end to sign people on. He has no drivers committed for next year either. I am curious how he will handle his selection. I hope he will not sign on drivers who want a seat with the team only becase there wasn't anything better available. I have no doubts he will need someone who will provide qualified feedback on vehicle performance in support of development, so it might not be someone at the age of 18. Is Carlos a right person? I doubt it right now. Maybe later.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Ruslan wrote: 1 month ago
Sauber / Audi have reached a new milestone this week with the automaker taking over formerly Sauber's racing operations, with Seidl at the head. Andreas has now freedom to evaluate driver's market and it will be his decision at the end to sign people on. He has no drivers committed for next year either. I am curious how he will handle his selection. I hope he will not sign on drivers who want a seat with the team only becase there wasn't anything better available. I have no doubts he will need someone who will provide qualified feedback on vehicle performance in support of development, so it might not be someone at the age of 18. Is Carlos a right person? I doubt it right now. Maybe later.
I would recommend they go with Sainz and Hulkenberg.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Alos, suspect Bearman will be driving for Haas in 2025.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

In a sense it would be nice if Max moved to Mercedes as we would have a new WDC in 2025 (if Max stays I think that he'll win the WDC in both 2024 and 2025), I think that such a move would create even more shockwaves than Hamilton moving to Ferrari has, let's be honest about this whatever happens the WDC in 2024 and 2025 will be driving for Red Bull so ANY driver would love to move to RBR even factoring in the fact that the engine for 2026 is a big gamble.

And there would plenty of excellent drivers available, just for the sake of it I'll try to make a list:

- Alonso, is out of contract for next year and it would be a great story if he could win the WDC again after so much time
- Ricciardo, he had his days and on occasion IMHO he's great but he would be another great publicity stunt for both Red Bull as well as F1 in general
- Leclerc, he knows that he's not going to win with Ferrari in the near to medium term future, it's his big opportunity
- Piastri, a great driver, maybe not as strong in terms of image as Alonso or Ricciardo but he would be a great investment for the future for any team
- Norris, similar to Piastri only a bit more interesting in terms of image

who else?

Besides it would be fun watching Max (I honestly think that he's an ok chap, his problem IMHO is his dad) and especially Jos sulking if Mercedes doesn't deliver him a winning car
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2024-03-11 10:27 (CET)
The Gazzetta dello Sport has learned that Ferrari wants to take staff from Red Bull's aerodynamics department in particular. The first is said to be David Morgan, Red Bull's On-track Aerodynamic Development Manager. Morgan is a Brit, who has now been with the Austrian team for six years. Before that, he worked for Williams. He is responsible for the choices made in the configuration of aerodynamics, with Morgan focusing particularly on the correlation between the sim and the real car.

In addition, Ferrari are reportedly looking to recruit Ben Waterhouse. He is Head of Performance at Red Bull. Finally, Ferrari are considering Italian Alessandro Germani, who heads the Aerodynamic Development department. He has been working for the Austrian team for nine years.
Depletion of resources on this scale could be painful, if all of those guys left the team. I have also wish. Pierre Vaché to Audi (aka Sauber). This would be extremely helpful to my side of the road.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member

yesterday they were saying that Newey and Wache were about to sign with Ferrari, the reason being that Newey's new yacht is going to be based in Monaco and it's a short distance to Maranello... I'm not making this up
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 1 month ago yesterday they were saying that Newey and Wache were about to sign with Ferrari, the reason being that Newey's new yacht is going to be based in Monaco and it's a short distance to Maranello... I'm not making this up
I am not sure whether Newey would move. There is a several years old story floating around, that his wife purportedly sad something about Europe, or specifically Itally is a third world country, etc. Maybe she changed her mind..?

Based on Horner's statements last year, Newey was involved last year fully on other RB projects. Pierre Waché (Technical Director) was a top man on technical side of the car. He doesn't get any credit in media, but insiders apparently know who he is, and what he can do.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 1 month ago yesterday they were saying that Newey and Wache were about to sign with Ferrari, the reason being that Newey's new yacht is going to be based in Monaco and it's a short distance to Maranello... I'm not making this up
I am not sure whether Newey would move. There is a several years old story floating around, that his wife purportedly sad something about Europe, or specifically Itally is a third world country, etc. Maybe she changed her mind..?

Based on Horner's statements last year, Newey was involved last year fully on other RB projects. Pierre Waché (Technical Director) was a top man on technical side of the car. He doesn't get any credit in media, but insiders apparently know who he is, and what he can do.
last week according to some Italian media Newey had already packed his bags and was about to move to Maranello, now they are a bit more cautious and now they claim that Ferrari is trying to lure Wache, I think that some media are making things up big time
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

You know... if discussions between Ferrari with Red Bull aerodynamicists were already fairly advanced, this is what could have attracted Hamilton to switch teams. It is also possible that Hamilton coming over was part of the Ferrari package to entice the Red Bull aerodynamicist(s) to come over. There might be a lot going on behind the scenes.

Needless to say, if the Red Bull aerodynamicists are bailing out of Red Bull for 2025... then this makes Red Bull less attractive for 2026 (I do also think they have the WC for 2024 and 2025 guaranteed).
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Three star drivers top Mercedes’ 2025 short-list
Three star drivers top Mercedes’ 2025 short-list

Two+ months ago I had no idea what's coming. I am not sure on what basis people write what they do, but RBR moved from one of the top, stable players in this game suddenly into centre of rumours. Key personnel leaving would adversely influence that 99% factor. Discussion now involves also Newey, as his pay level might not fit (alledgedly) into mandated budget. One wonders if sometimes in a distant future we will remember this year as one with more action in paddock, than ever before.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I believe Newey is paid through alternative means and as a contractor/consultant to Red Bull Technologies rather than direct employee of Red Bull Racing so doesn't fit in the staff budget.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 month ago I believe Newey is paid through alternative means and as a contractor/consultant to Red Bull Technologies rather than direct employee of Red Bull Racing so doesn't fit in the staff budget.
Yes ..... that is or was one of the problems with RBs budget cap breach. By being a consultant he does not fit into the criteria of the three highest paid staff members being not included in the budget cap. (RB thought he would classify as one of those three being a 'full timer" working exclusively in F1 terms for RB, even though his services were billed from his own company) In reality his consultancy fees became a cost included in the budget cap as any other external service or supplier invoice.

That was my understanding but happy to be corrected.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Who will drive for Mercedes in 2025?

Odds:

Andrea Kimi Antontelli – 5/4
Fernando Alonso – 6/4
Max Verstappen – 6/1
Carlos Sainz – 12/1
Esteban Ocon – 14/1
Valtteri Bottas – 25/1
Sergio Perez – 40/1
Oscar Piastri – 50/1
Daniel Ricciardo – 50/1
Lando Norris – 80/1
Charles Leclerc – 100/1
Mick Schumacher – 150/1
GP247

Realistically I think it's between Max and/or Carlos. Fernando needs to first decide whether he wants to continue race next year. Sounds like he is just as tired of promisees, as Seb was. Vettel is not on the list, but who knows... I think he is itching to return.
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd say:
- Max to Mercedes
- Leclerc to Red Bull
- Sainz to Audi

the next intersting bit would be: who joins Ferrari to fill the vacancy left by Leclerc? Maybe someone like Gasly (or Ocon), someone uncomplicated (well, Ocon doesn't seem to be uncomplicated) with reasonable speed waiting to see what happens in 2026/2027

maybe we should should have a game like we do for race results
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 1 month ago I'd say:
- Max to Mercedes
- Leclerc to Red Bull
- Sainz to Audi

the next intersting bit would be: who joins Ferrari to fill the vacancy left by Leclerc? Maybe someone like Gasly (or Ocon), someone uncomplicated (well, Ocon doesn't seem to be uncomplicated) with reasonable speed waiting to see what happens in 2026/2027

maybe we should should have a game like we do for race results
I don't know if Leclerc has similar escape clause as Max, but should he leave, it would be blow to John Elkann's ego. Whether Max will leave is a good question. On the surface situation has calm down. According to German media Max for now is being kicked to the curb, or put it differently, left out from normal routine life. Secrecy on development is justification for imposed restrictions. He might stay afer all, but he has to probably kiss a ring first. Helmut politely declined Toto's invitation, so he will stay (as he has for last 19 years). For now. Sainz's options are getting thin outside Sauber (aka Audi).

Edit: Guenther Steiner suggested to add name of Nicolas Hülkenberg for MB seat.

I say, why not give a German driver chance to prove what he can do?