Silly Season and Pay - 2023/2024

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

P. Cornelius Scipio wrote: 1 month ago I'd say:
- Max to Mercedes
- Leclerc to Red Bull
- Sainz to Audi

the next intersting bit would be: who joins Ferrari to fill the vacancy left by Leclerc? Maybe someone like Gasly (or Ocon), someone uncomplicated (well, Ocon doesn't seem to be uncomplicated) with reasonable speed waiting to see what happens in 2026/2027

maybe we should should have a game like we do for race results
I don't know if Leclerc has similar escape clause as Max, but should he leave, it would be blow to John Elkann's ego. Whether Max will leave is a good question. On the surface situation has calm down. According to German media Max for now is being kicked to the curb, or put it differently, left out from normal routine life. Secrecy on development is justification for imposed restrictions. He might stay afer all, but he has to probably kiss a ring first. Helmut politely declined Toto's invitation, so he will stay (as he has for last 19 years). For now. Sainz's options are getting thin outside Sauber (aka Audi).

Edit: Guenther Steiner suggested to add name of Nicolas Hülkenberg for MB seat.

I say, why not give a German driver chance to prove what he can do?
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

I am guessing it will be Ocon or Albon to Mercedes. Sainz may be the better driver, but I suspect Audi is calling pretty loudly and Mercedes seems to not want drivers for the short-term (they kept Bottas for 5 years !!!).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Alonso unsure of F1 future with ‘well over the limit’ schedule

Fernando Alonso's contract with AM is up for renewal at the end of the year. As such his name has been bandied around in the discussions for Lewis's replacement at Mercedes plus of course Red Bull and also staying where he is.

However first Fernando will need to decide if he can really be bothered with all the personal commitment that goes with a 24 race calendar.... as such he remains undecided on whether he will continue racing in Formula 1 beyond the end of this season stating the current calendar is "well over the limit".

Speaking ahead of the current campaign, the Spaniard admitted that, physically, he could imagine racing for a number of years to come.

However, the dedication and effort required to do so would be the determining factor.

Alonso himself has suggested the hectic F1 schedule, that includes a record 24 races in 2024, is a significant concern.
Fernando wrote:“I think we’re well over the limit,” he said of the calendar.

“I started that we had 16 races, then it was it was 18 at some point. And then I think when Liberty came, it was like a message that we had 20 one season and that was absolutely the limit, 20 races.

And now we are up to 24.

“This is not sustainable for the future, I think, for everyone.

“Even the world champion [Max Verstappen], thinks that it’s a little bit long, the season.

“Imagine for the rest of us in order to go to the races in the second half for nothing, because there is no incentive to fight for anything.”

Alonso has been linked with a move to Mercedes in place of former McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton.

While there is no guarantee a move to Mercedes would offer better results, history suggests it is a better bet.

“Obviously, I don’t have any contract at the moment, so it’s better to be on those lists than in the other series list, or being on the retirement
  • ,” Alonso opined.

“But I will make the decision to commit for the future in the next few weeks or few races.

“First of all, I need to speak with myself. I need to make a decision if I personally want to commit for the future.

“I need to sacrifice everything else in life to be 100 percent ready for F1 and that will be the decision.”
    “Even the world champion [Max Verstappen], thinks that it’s a little bit long, the season."

“Imagine for the rest of us in order to go to the races in the second half for nothing, because there is no incentive to fight for anything.”

“I want to be in the simulator. I want to be with the engineers. I want to ask 100 percent to an organisation that I know for sure that I will give that 100 percent. If not, I will not commit.

“I don’t know for how long, I don’t know with whom. So, there are many question marks.

“But this is a second stage,” he added.

“First stage of the future it has to be with my own personal decision.”
This is the first time I can recall anything less than total enthusiasm from Fernando.... in the past, to me he has always been in the "yeah I love racing as much as I can" brigade.... now all the travelling and other non driving promotional commitments seem to be dulling that enthusiasm.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

It's true though, seemingly the drivers as well as the fans don't want to have to commit to 24 race weekends a year, it's too much. It's easier for us, all we have to do is sit at home and tune in, they have to go around the world and stay in different hotels in various countries. I bet they hardly ever get to sleep at home in their own beds. It's just insane.

Will it make a difference? No, they will probably still continue to add more races until we have two every weekend at this rate!!
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

The Sun are reporting that Max is close to a deal with Mercedes.

I just don't get it. Why would you leave now? You have the best car, what will certainly be a top 3 car next year, and then it's new rules.

Just stick it out to 2026 and see what the grid looks like. If Max is a 5x WDC by the end of 2025 then he can pick whoever he wants.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 month ago The Sun are reporting that Max is close to a deal with Mercedes.

I just don't get it. Why would you leave now? You have the best car, what will certainly be a top 3 car next year, and then it's new rules.

Just stick it out to 2026 and see what the grid looks like. If Max is a 5x WDC by the end of 2025 then he can pick whoever he wants.
Yeah unless you want to force a move *now* because you hate where you are... I don't get it.

Otherwise you risk ending up being a bit of a lame duck. They boot Perez and try to bring in someone else who they try to build a team around.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 month ago This is the first time I can recall anything less than total enthusiasm from Fernando.... in the past, to me he has always been in the "yeah I love racing as much as I can" brigade.... now all the travelling and other non driving promotional commitments seem to be dulling that enthusiasm.
He's too old for a leading F1 team to bring him in, so it would be some sort of mid-pack team. And unless you just *love* it, I can see why it would be too much.

Indycar schedule would probably be too much (and not enough interest - though maybe he'd try the 500 again).

Could see him doing sportscars for a few years.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 month ago
DoubleFart wrote: 1 month ago The Sun are reporting that Max is close to a deal with Mercedes.

Yeah unless you want to force a move *now* because you hate where you are... I don't get it.
or more money (and maybe the fear that the 2026 PU won't be that good)
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Mazepin has overturned the EU ban. He is free to race in F1 again.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Ruslan wrote: 1 month ago Mazepin has overturned the EU ban. He is free to race in F1 again.
Hasn't he been DJing now or something of the sort?
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Picci wrote: 1 month ago
Ruslan wrote: 1 month ago Mazepin has overturned the EU ban. He is free to race in F1 again.
Hasn't he been DJing now or something of the sort?
He has also been racing. Won two races in the 2023-24 Asian Lemans Series.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

He might not be allowed to race in Canada.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Aty wrote: 1 month ago
He might not be allowed to race in Canada.
I think UK also has a ban against Russian racers. It is kind of academic, as I don't think there is a line of f1 people looking to hire him.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

As expected, he was asked, and he responded:
Max Verstappen has made clear that Red Bull is “where I want to be” going forward amid media speculation linking the three-time world champion with a move away from the team.
How Toto will respond is another story, if headstands make no difference to Max.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Damn. I was looking forward to Red Bull lining up with Mazepin and Nicholas Latifi in 2025, and Jolyon Palmer as reserve driver.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 month ago Damn. I was looking forward to Red Bull lining up with Mazepin and Nicholas Latifi in 2025, and Jolyon Palmer as reserve driver.
Don't despair. Take notice that Max actually didn't promise not to change his mind. There is still time for it. Mercedes and AM are both waiting with fat pay cheque.