Documentary set to recount Villeneuve/Pironi rivalry

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Documentary set to recount Villeneuve/Pironi rivalry

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Documentary set to recount Villeneuve/Pironi rivalry.... called simply Villeneuve Pironi.

Thought I would post about this given the respect and adulation many of us hold for Gilles Villeneuve, myself one of them. Indeed one of the lucky ones to have been around attending races in his time, and able to.

Indeed it is a story we all know, the whole Villeneuve Pironi thing, and we all have our own opinions and views on what happened. From my point og view I was a huge Gilles fan, and remember well the goings on at the time having watched it all unfold. I also remember exactly where I was on that fateful Saturday afternoon / evening of the 8th May 1982. The uncertainty even disbelief as rumour and news updates told the story in a pre mobile phone and internet era, myself away racing at the time and just being in the paddock huddled around transistor radios with fellow competitors aching to hear the good news that never came. A group of us checked into the pub we were staying at for the Saturday night and it was there of the TV news we learnt the final confirmation of his passing. It will be 40 years to the day on Sunday.

Anyway enough nostalgic rambling from me, but news is out today of a feature film length documentary of the events surrounding the tragedy in a movie simply called Villeneuve Pironi, featuring interviews from Villeneuve’s wife, Joann, filmed at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix last month.
Four decades on from the death of Gilles Villeneuve, the Canadian’s family has reflected on the popular Ferrari driver.

Villeneuve was killed during qualifying for the 1982 Belgian Grand Prix in Zolder.

He was regarded as one of the most talented and exciting drivers to have ever competed in Formula 1.

The anniversary of his death is set to be marked by an upcoming documentary entitled Villeneuve Pironi, featuring interviews from Villeneuve’s wife, Joann, filmed at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix last month.

“He was just this really down to earth guy coming from this little town in Canada,” recalls Joann Villeneuve.

“His way of driving, his personality, the fact that he had learned to speak Italian. And all that made him likeable.

“He was just a true racer at heart, so he just embraced the whole thing and he was someone who, I think he just could deal with pressure in a different way.

“Actually, that was sort of his way of living. It didn’t look that way from the outside because he just seemed so calm, but he, from the inside, you know, the edge of it is where you have to be.

“To him, the best thing that could happen is when the rear tyres would just touch the guardrail,” she added.

“He would come back with this huge smile on his face and he would say, ‘I kissed the guardrails everywhere. Perfect.’”

Villeneuve’s daughter, Melanie, and son, 1997 world drivers’ champion Jacques, also offered memories of their father.

Just 32 at the time of his death in April 1982, a bitter feud had developed between Villeneuve and Ferrari team-mate Didier Pironi.

With the San Marino Grand Prix under control, the Ferrari pit wall instructed its drivers to ease off the pace, a message the Canadian interpreted as ‘maintain position’ to the chequered flag.

However, Pironi caught, attacked, and passed his team-mate on the final lap to win, leaving Villeneuve to vow never to speak to the Frenchman again.

Tragically, the bitterness of that feud appeared to manifest itself during qualifying at the very next race at Zolder.

Though conditions had deteriorated, Villeneuve headed out late in the session after Pironi had gone 0.1s quicker.

On track, he encountered Jochen Mass, the pair making contact and launching the Ferrari into the air.

Transported by helicopter to St Raphael Hospital, his injuries were too severe and he died later that evening.

Pironi’s own F1 career ended later in the season when he crashed in wet conditions at the German Grand Prix, breaking both his legs.

He went on to race offshore powerboats only to be killed during the Needles Trophy Race in 1987.

Villeneuve Pironi is set to offer a feature-length insight into the families of both drivers, with production credits including Mark Webber, and is set for release later this year.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/05/06/do ... i-rivalry/

Its something ill be trying to watch as soon as possible. Cant say that for Drive to Survive.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I know we had a VHS tape at home in Italian about Villeneuve which did talk at length about this. Maybe it had been part of an Autosprint series back in the day. Maybe I should go get it and see if I can convert it to digital somehow.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Sounds good, but where's the piquet mansell doc?
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

White six wrote: 2 years ago Sounds good, but where's the piquet mansell doc?
We need one of Nigel's sons to start bonking Piquets daughter. Get some scandal ignited. Wait lets call Netflix and get the Drive to Survive scriptwriters onto it. :wink:

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
White six wrote: 2 years ago Sounds good, but where's the piquet mansell doc?
We need one of Nigel's sons to start bonking Piquets daughter. Get some scandal ignited. Wait lets call Netflix and get the Drive to Survive scriptwriters onto it. :wink:
They can't handle the truth 🤣
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I look forward to this, but who is making it?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Kai-Star
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Williams FW14
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Everest Sport

Post by Kai-Star »

Sounds good. I have a VHS somewhere on this already, but I'm sure there will be new insights as well.
"Speed is relative and I knew that I was going faster in my head than he was in his head. If you keep seeing objects going by quickly, well then going quickly becomes normal for you."
Joann Villeneuve
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago I look forward to this, but who is making it?
Mark Webber is on the production side in some way or so I have read. Noah Media is I believe the production company whoever they might be.
Villeneuve Pironi is set to offer a feature-length insight into the families of both drivers, with production credits including Mark Webber, and is set for release later this year.
Both drivers have become intrinsically linked through their 1982 rivalry, with production company Noah Media making a feature-length documentary about their lives and careers.
A teaser interview (no video) with Gilles wife ia all that has been released to date
Joann Villeneuve speaks about her husband's life
Villeneuve's widow, Joann, gave an interview during the recent Imola weekend, speaking about her late husband's love of racing, some of which will be broadcast by several broadcasters - including Sky - this anniversary weekend.

"Gilles believed that the edge is where you have to be," she said.

"To him, the best thing was kissing the guard rails."

Both the Villeneuve and Pironi families have contributed in a collaborative fashion to the project, which is due for a late 2022 release on Sky Documentaries and NowTV.

"My family and I are pleased to participate in the making of the documentary 'Villeneuve & Pironi'," Joann added.

"This period in time and these events were traumatic for our family and, after more than 40 years, still remain very emotional.

"Having been a privileged witness to these events, it is important that this story be told with respect.

"We are looking forward to working with Noah Media Group, who we know are committed to telling this story in the right way."

Catherine Goux, Pironi's partner, said: "My children and I are delighted to take part in this film together with the Villeneuve family. We have no doubt that Noah Media Group are the best in class in what they do.

"We are looking forward to the world learning more about the two incredible men that were Gilles and Didier, but also for a new generation to discover this unique and inspiring story that reaches beyond the sport itself."
https://racingnews365.com/video-a-first ... ocumentary

Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

Sounds very promising, and it's good that both families are actively involved.

As @PTRACER well knows, I am somewhat of a GV fanatic. Always have been. But, over the years my stance on the Pironi thing has softened quite a bit. I recently read David Sedgewick's book on Didier and it kind of balanced the story out a bit for me. I feel less anger towards it all, and overall much more sadness.

Will be interesting to see what tone they give Imola and what happened next, that's for sure.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

looking forward to it.
Unfortunately, the rivalry was during my dark years when I did not follow the sport very closely, so I'm curious to learn about it in more depth.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago I look forward to this, but who is making it?
Mark Webber is on the production side in some way or so I have read. Noah Media is I believe the production company whoever they might be.
Never heard of Noah Media, but according to IMDB they have also just completed a documentary called "Stewart".

Haven't seen anything that shows when/how it will be released though.
https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broadcas ... 85.article
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This documentary (called officially ‘Villeneuve Pironi: Racing’s Untold Tragedy’ I see is being released in the UK this weekend.... available on Sky Documentaries or Sky Go. Not sure of other markets but it is being advertised on the Sky UK F1 Show today, saying it is airing / available March 18th, ie today..

For others I guess it will be a matter of finding a download, and im sure those who are members at rfm will find it.

In the meantime, a trailer to whet your appetite.
Forty years on from the infamous and tragic 1982 Formula One season, the families of Canadian icon Gilles Villeneuve & French superstar Didier Pironi unite for the first time to reveal one of sport’s greatest untold stories.

In the midst of modern racing’s most dangerous era, two daring Ferrari teammates were battling for the world championship, but at the San Marino Grand Prix Pironi broke an unwritten agreement, “stealing” victory from his close friend Villeneuve on the final lap.

This act of “betrayal” broke a sacred bond and their relationship soon spiralled into a vengeful rivalry. Villeneuve and Pironi would never speak to each other again, and within a matter of weeks, tragedy would strike.

For four decades, rumour, bitterness, and myth has surrounded that duel in San Marino and its aftermath.

In a plot laden with mystery and intrigue, each compelling twist and turn is revealed as the film uncovers the truth behind that unwritten agreement on the last fateful lap.

Villeneue Pironi is a modern-day Shakespearean epic. It is the story of two of the fastest racers in history, their brief and violent intertwined lives, and the emotional scars still felt today by their closest loved ones. Above all, it is a life-affirming film that explores love, loss, and legacy, in a sport where passion overcomes fear.

Directed by Torquil Jones (Netflix’s 14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible), the film stars Formula One World Champions Jacques Villeneuve, Alain Prost, and Sir Jackie Stewart, alongside the Villeneuve & Pironi families.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Hopefully it will appear on a channel where I can see it at some point. I had heard about the feud and what Pironi did to cause it and I'd be interested to see it.

I know Jacques used to talk a lot about being on 'The Edge'. I had a fan club t-shirt that had that emblazoned across the front of it at one time.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

I remember the events of Imola 1982 very well, Gilles Villeneuve was (and still is!!!!) my idol. Over the years there has been tons of articles in the Italian media about this, IMHO the most interesting comment was Mauro forghieri's who said that he wasn't at Imola that day but that that board with the word "slow" was a mistake because it didn't mean anything and was misleading. I still believe that Gilles had any right to claim that race and that Marco Piccinini didn't behave very well towards him. I look forward to watch that documentary
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Download link :) (Please don't share outside The Fastlane)