2022 [WEC] Le Mans 24 Hours

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2022 [WEC] Le Mans 24 Hours

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

2022 Le Mans 24 Hours. June 11-12,

Might as well start a 2022 Le Mans 24 hour thread as news is starting to come in re entries. The race will run back in its more traditional mid June slot with the actual race to be held on June 11-12,

We already know Peugeot wont be entering the big one as initially planned due to Homologation difficulties and the need to have more time to get that process right.

First of all for me I can add the Australian news on Le Mans this yer. The big news is.....

Van Gisbergen set for Le Mans debut

SVG has always had a desire to do the French classic, but previously Supercars clashes and then Covid travel restrictions thwarted any plans..... anyway Supercars champion Shane van Gisbergen is set to make his debut at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.

The New Zealander will join Riley Motorsports, piloting a Ferrari 488 GTE Evo alongside Sam Bird and Felipe Fraga in the French classic.

He’ll form part of a seven-car LMGTE Pro field which features two other Ferraris, and a brace of Porsches and Corvettes.

The 32-year-old was set to make an appearance at Le Mans in 2020, though that was kyboshed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Other Australians and New Zealanders taking part.

Van Gisbergen headlines a total of six Antipodeans set to compete in the race, with Brendon Hartley and Ryan Briscoe poised to line up in the Hypercar field.

Hartley will drive one of two Toyota Gazoo Racing entries, sharing the #8 car with Sebastien Buemi and Ryo Hirakawa.

Briscoe meanwhile will lead the #709 effort for Glickenhaus Racing, partnered by Richard Westbrook and Franck Mailleux.

In LMP2, James Allen is the sole Australian representative after Algarve Pro Racing was awarded a spot on the grid.

It has been a troubled period for APR following its split from G-Drive, leaving the team staring down the possibility of closing its doors.

Instead, it’s been granted a race-by-race entry to the World Endurance Championship, and now has a guaranteed berth at La Sarthe.

Allen will co-drive with Rene Binder, while Daniil Kvyat’s place in the car has been filled by American Steven Thomas.

Porsche driver, and former class winner at Le Mans, Matt Campbell returns with Proton Competition, racing alongside actor Michael Fassbender and a yet-to-be-confirmed third driver.

Completing the field from an Antipodean perspective is Nick Cassidy, who will drive a Ferrari 488 for AF Corse with Thomas Flohr and Francesco Castellacci.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Hopefully the last of the "tame" Le Mans races. Only 12 cars combined in the pro categories. But next year the influx of new hypercars will come and the new look GT classes.

Anyway, Le Mans is Le Mans, count on me staying up all night for it.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago
You and me both.... along with, I suspect, a few others.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago
You and me both.... along with, I suspect, a few others.
There is always a #TNS at the GThub discord. (Team No Sleep)
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Yup, Le Mans is still Le Mans, and I'm in.

I will be relying on a stream tho!
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

REVISED (Non Russian) FULL LE MANS FULL ENTRY LIST IS UP (April 29th)

@Everso Biggyballies I updated the entry list. Btw: you had linked to the 2021 version.
Erwin Greven

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I posted an article elsewhere on the forum which might be of interest to Le Mans fans.

How many F1 drivers have won Le Mans?

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Scrutineering!!

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I love the look of the #9 Oreca-Gibson Orlen backed LMP2 car (of Robert Kubica, Louis Deletraz, and Lorenzo Colombo).

Also the Penske #5 LMP2 car.

Actually tbh the quality of the Le Mans tweaked liveries are generally top shelf this year.. Like the Alpine Hypercar too..

Pics of the Hypercars here https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/24-h ... lass-56289

All the LMP2 cars here. https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/24-h ... lass-56265
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

The Porsche #93 livery looks good to me. Not a new livery though.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Watching the cars in Scrutineering and as mentioned they all look great, some are spectacularly good though. :drool:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Talking of liveries......

ARC Bratislava have revealed a revised livery for the Le Mans 24 Hours.
The scheme, an evolution of the long-standing bright yellow scheme is the first Le Mans scheme designed by DSC contributor and graphic artist Daniel Hounsell.

Daniel, creator of the infamous ‘April Fool Volvo DPi’ makes his living in industrial design but is still extremely passionate about motorsport.

The look of the car is a subtle but very effective refreshment of a livery that has been a familiar part of paddocks the world over for many years.
Its certainly unlikely to be confused with any other car. :wink:

Oh, and if anyone was like me and knew nothing of the Volvo April Fools mentioned, here it is

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Le Mans Friday Notebook
Sportscar365’s first of two notebooks from scrutineering in Le Mans town center…

by Daniel Lloyd June 3, 2022

***A total of 39 cars passed through Place de la Republique in central Le Mans on Friday for scrutineering, team photos and media activities. Those timetabled for the morning encountered heavy rain and thunderstorms, while those arriving in the afternoon enjoyed much sunnier and warmer weather.

***The scrutineering process consists of cars going through the ‘pesage’ weigh station before heading to a second station for more technical checks. They are then wheeled around the corner for a group photograph with team members. Drivers follow their own route that includes stage interviews and an official sign-on procedure.

***Kessel Racing’s Ferrari 488 GTE Evo was the first to complete the process, followed by Team Project 1, Duqueine Team, all five Proton-run Porsche 911 RSR-19s, Prema Orlen Team, Vector Sport, Inter Europol Competition and ARC Bratislava in the morning.

***The afternoon batch consisted of Riley Motorsports, Cool Racing, Corvette Racing, JOTA, CD Sport, Nielsen Racing, IDEC Sport, United Autosports, Panis Racing, Ultimate, Richard Mille Racing Team, Alpine Elf Team, NorthWest AMR, TDS Racing x Vaillante, Inception Racing, Sprit of Race, AF Corse No. 21, Graff and WRT.

***While lots of drivers attended scrutineering, several stars were absent due to clashes with the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship round in Detroit, the Fanatec GT World Challenge Europe powered by AWS Endurance Cup race at Paul Ricard, and the Formula E event in Jakarta.

***Of note, 10 out of 12 drivers in the IMSA DPi field at Detroit are due to race at Le Mans and are consequently absent from scrutineering. Two GTD drivers – Jan Heylen and Ben Barnicoat – are also in northern France next weekend.

***No drivers from the Inception-backed No. 56 Project 1 crew attended scrutineering, with Barnicoat at Belle Isle and Brendan Iribe and Ollie Millroy at Paul Ricard.

***Vector Sport attempted to compensate for the absences of Sebastien Bourdais (IMSA) and Nico Mueller (GTWC Europe) absence by introducing cardboard cut-outs to the group photo.

***Spirit of Race’s No. 55 Ferrari 488 GTE Evo has had some minor tweaks to its livery to honor Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee. The car has additional gold touches, as well as the silhouette of the monarch on the left flank and the royal insignia on the right.

***The additions are an initiative by the team’s Bronze-rated driver Duncan Cameron, who told Sportscar365 that he expects that the tweaks will remain on the car for the race next week.

***Fellow British entrant JOTA has also been reveling in the Jubilee celebrations, with the team sharing a social media edit of its Oreca pulling the gold state carriage into Buckingham Palace’s forecourt.

***Cool Racing will be running the 100th Oreca 07 chassis at Le Mans, having recently taken delivery of the car. “It shows how successful the Oreca 07 has been in the past few seasons,” driver Yifei Ye told Sportscar365. “So cool to be racing this car and hopefully, we will make it to the end without any car troubles.”

***After a shakedown at Paul Ricard, Cool Racing tested at Aragon. Ricky Taylor, was not at scrutineering as he is affected by the Detroit clash, was a part of that test. “We got acquainted with him and other team staff,” Ye said. “He’s shown great pace, so I think we have a great lineup.”

***Wayne Taylor Racing technical director Brian Pillar will be traveling with Ricky Taylor to Le Mans and assist in the engineering of the Cool Racing Oreca, while also using it as a fact-finding mission.

***A substantial contingent of Hendrick Motorsports personnel are expected to attend Le Mans, as part of their fact-finding ahead of next year’s experimental entry with a modified NASCAR Next Gen Camaro. Program manager and Hendrick VP Chad Knaus was spotted at scrutineering today.

***Mikkel Jensen is set for his last Le Mans in TGE-Am before he joins the factory Peugeot effort, racing alongside Takeshi Kimura and Frederik Schandorff aboard the No. 57 Kessel Racing Ferrari 488 GTE Evo. “It’s a different approach because next year, I really have to get everything right,” Jensen told Sportscar365. “It’s a different level of competition and I really try to enjoy this last Le Mans that I have in a more fun way.”

***Rodrigo Sales was behind in the special livery for Nielsen Racing’s Oreca, which sports a Mexican ‘Day of the Dead’ themed design. The festival often overlaps with Sales’ birthday on November 2 and the half-Mexican driver wanted to recognize this. He told Sportscar365 that in amongst the traditional Day of the Dead symbols are likenesses of the pet dogs owned by himself, Ben Hanley and Matt Bell.

***Nicolas Lapierre appeared at scrutineering twice: the first time as team principal of Cool Racing and the second time as part of Alpine’s Hypercar driving squad.

***Unlike Toyota Gazoo Racing which underwent a pre-Le Mans shakedown with both of its LMH cars at Spa, Alpine did not head out on track between the TotalEnergies 6 Hours of Spa and Le Mans week.

***Alpine team principal Philippe Sinault told Sportscar365 that the team does not plan to recruit a reserve driver. Sinault indicated in March that a new reserve would be sought to replace Gabriel Aubry, who now drives for AF Corse in GTE-Am. Asked if that is still a plan, Sinault said “no” before jesting: “But I am ready, if we need!”

***The delay to the start of the ACO’s co-management of the Asian Le Mans Series with SRO Motorsports Group, caused by the latter retaining its UAE-based schedule next year, has resulted in additional 24 Hours of Le Mans automatic invitations for 2024 being deferred in accordance.

***It means that invitations for next year’s Fanatec GT World Challenge Europe powered by AWS Gold Cup or Pro-Am class champion, and the champion of a combined classification for GTWC Asia and the Asian LMS GT class, will be determined by the results of the 2024 season, rather than 2023. This was confirmed to Sportscar365 by an ACO spokesperson.

***Porsche Motorsport has shipped a new LMDh car to the U.S. where it will soon begin the North American phase of its testing program, which is “on schedule” according to Porsche Penske Motorsport managing director Jonathan Diuguid. The second car arrived Stateside in late May and is currently being worked on at Porsche Penske’s Mooresville, NC base.

***The most recent Porsche LMDh test was a three-day outing at Aragon in mid-May. “We were just trying to log mileage on the car and the system,” said Diuguid. “I think the next test will be U.S.-based.”

***Saturday scrutineering will see the remaining 23 cars pass through Place de la Republique, starting with TF Sport at 9:30 a.m. and ending with Porsche GT Team at 2 p.m. (both CEST).
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/le- ... tebook-13/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The weather forecast at this stage for Le Mans Circuit seems to have it a dry race, in fact dry from Tuesday evening through to c19:00 on the Sunday evening when 0.2mm is forecast.
https://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Racing ... ecast.aspx

So we might not see anything like we saw Yannick Dalmas do in 2016.... :shocked: