RIP Meat Loaf

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

RIP Meat Loaf

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Meat Loaf, the singer whose Bat Out Of Hell album is one of the best-selling of all time, has died at the age of 74.

The news was confirmed on the star's Facebook page by his family.

"Our hearts are broken to announce that the incomparable Meat Loaf passed away tonight with his wife Deborah by his side," a message read.

The star sold 100 million albums worldwide and also appeared in movies like Fight Club, the Rocky Horror Picture Show and Wayne's World.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60080934

Meat Loaf Obituary

FWIW I once sat in the next seat to him on a flight to NZ. Probably 1983. I say next seat, we were both in aisle seats . He was with I guess with his manager and I was across the aisle. He was in the lounge pre flight as well. Totally different to his stage persona, quiet, polite and quite normal, but I remember he was a big guy.

I remember seeing him perform this live once. Brilliant.

and

RIP Meat Loaf

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Meat Loaf is a legend and it's so sad he's died. I have a couple of his albums (including Bat Out Of Hell, naturally) and they're still as good today as when they came out. It's such a shame he's gone RIP :(
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I am reading reports that his death was Covid related.
The late rocker Meat Loaf was outspokenly anti-vaccine mandate and anti-mask before his death — once telling a reporter, “If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled,” according to reports Friday.

The 74-year-old “Bat Out of Hell” singer — who was reportedly critically ill with COVID-19 before he passed away Thursday — was opposed to pandemic restrictions, slamming lockdowns and mask mandates during an interview last summer.

The Grammy Award-winning musician, whose real name was Marvin Lee Aday, also railed against vaccine mandates in Australia, sources told TMZ.

Meat Loaf, who struggled with asthma and other health conditions, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in August he considered lockdowns “political” and masks “useless” before offering reporter Scott Mervins an embrace.

“I’m happy to give you a hug. I hug people in the middle of COVID,” Meat Loaf said, adding that he refused to live life in fear.
“I’m sorry, I understood stopping life for a little while, but they cannot continue to stop life because of politics. And right now they’re stopping because of politics,” he said.
https://nypost.com/2022/01/21/meat-loaf ... -covid-19/

Apparently he had cancelled a dinner awards thing on Tuesday due to his contracting Covid.....

https://www.tmz.com/2022/01/21/meat-loa ... es-singer/

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Thanks for that @Everso Biggyballies. Clearly if that is the case it was a decision that killed him but he understood that by the sound of it. That doesn't mean it's not sad.

How much do you want to bet sales of his albums will be epic again for a while, that seems to happen when someone like him dies, it did with Elvis, Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse, David Bowie and many others I am sure.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I was really shocked and saddened by this, and the rumours that it was COVID don't help, and the additional rumours that he was unvaccinated and didn't care about COVID don't help either.

A legendary singer with a few top songs, but I must admit I haven't explored his back catalogue before. Might be time to do that now I suppose...
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Well, the "real" Meatloaf died last year already. Jim Steinman composed and produced all his greatest hits, and probably played most of the instruments in the studio. Meatloaf just sang and acted on stage. He was good at that, though.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

There are few people who could belt out one of those sings like Meatloaf did. In his day he was a hell of a singer. I know in latter years he lost it to some degree, but is it any wonder given the type of rock anthems he was performing. You can name only a few people who come along like him. In their day, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, and Freddie Mercury, they all came along with such a powerful voice and distcinctive sound they make such a mark on a generation.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 2 years ago There are few people who could belt out one of those sings like Meatloaf did. In his day he was a hell of a singer. I know in latter years he lost it to some degree, but is it any wonder given the type of rock anthems he was performing. You can name only a few people who come along like him. In their day, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, and Freddie Mercury, they all came along with such a powerful voice and distcinctive sound they make such a mark on a generation.
Interestingly he always said his natural voice was opera.... he turned down lucrative offers to perform opera ($60,000 in 1972). Why?
'No, I can't do that, because I'll wind up in prison for murder of the conductor.' I may be an opera singer, but I have the rebellious nature of a true rock and roller."
I know nothing about voices but apparently his range was three and a half octaves, which sounds impressive....

What do you get when you mix rock and roll spirit with operatic power .... and a background in theatre. :dunno:

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

For reference, Freddie Mercury apparently had a four octave range, and Axl Rose has a 5 octave range. The world record is apparently TEN octaves.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza, Montecarlo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Nissan Micra (vintage in 3 yrs)

Post by Starling »

Damn, I loved him. My friends and I used to assign Rocky roles to each other, and I was always Eddie. Half a brain, make of that what you will... :amazed:

I hadn't realized Jim Steinman had died last year. I love Bonnie Tyler too, and he penned some of my fave power ballads.

RIP Meat Loaf, hope you're a bat out of heaven now.
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago For reference, Freddie Mercury apparently had a four octave range, and Axl Rose has a 5 octave range. The world record is apparently TEN octaves.
Axl has more range than Freddie? Even with Freddie's 4 extra teeth?
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starling »

OT: @PTRACER , I'm onto you :angelic:

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Starling wrote: 2 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago For reference, Freddie Mercury apparently had a four octave range, and Axl Rose has a 5 octave range. The world record is apparently TEN octaves.
Axl has more range than Freddie? Even with Freddie's 4 extra teeth?
Well, I think there is more chance of Freddie hitting 4 octaves than Axl hitting 5 right now, even with the minor issue of Freddie being dead.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Starling wrote: 2 years ago OT: @PTRACER , I'm onto you :angelic:

Wha? How did you find this? lol
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

If I'm doing a boring/repetitive job like painting or cleaning the oven or something I put on Meatloaf or Queen and I usually sing along, loudly. It helps somehow (though not if you are in range and can hear me murdering the music) :haha: