WWF 2021 "Winner takes all "Season Finale Max v Lewis Abu Dhabi Handbags GP"

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

WWF 2021 "Winner takes all "Season Finale Max v Lewis Abu Dhabi Handbags GP"

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

OK this is it. The end of term is here......

First of all a message from our sponsors, "Sportswashing is Us", without whose $$$ all this Middle Eastern Stuff would not happen

Yes I know Sportswashing and F1 go back to pre WDC days.... Hitler funding the Mercs and Audis in exchange for a few Swastikas would I guess now be seen as Sportswashing. Politics and F1's love of $$$ have been entwined for decades. Moving on....

The only way I could see of diverting from last weekends debacle was to start a thread for this weekend's race, so here it is. Wont be anything special as I have a bit on today....

Just to promote the Entertainment and Showbiz aspect I notice that Max and Lewis have been put together in the usual Thursday Press conferences schedule. Hmmmm. Its all about the entertainment and not the racing..... :annoyed:

Let the handbags fly......

Im not going to mention last weekend beyond the fact both drivers are now tied on points. As an aside, should neither driver finish Max will be WDC on Countback of more wins. Should both drivers finish in the points, he who finishes higher will be WDC. (Penalties and Protests aside)

I know we have had many close finishes to the WDC before, but I dont recall one quite so close through the season...although I think that Regga and Emmo were tied on points going into the last round in 1974, so this year is not a first in that respect. Obviously Emmo won out then.

It is actually I guess more remarkable for it to be happening this year given the ease of scoring points and 25points for the win over the 9 FTW and points only paid for 1-6 not 1-10 back then.

OK The Track

We know the track has had some mods to improve the racing. We know it will be faster, 10-15 seconds maybe. Its is a few hundred metres shorter now as well.

Two DRS zones might make it advantage Merc as they are two split by one corner. The second zone might be a problem for Max if Lewis still has the grunt of his relatively new engine.

The history given the new mods is less relevant than a normal race, but FWIW....

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.281km

Race Distance
306.183 km

Lap Record
null null (null)

Yas Island
When was the track built?

In 2006, plans were announced to develop Yas Island, located just to the east of Abu Dhabi, into a new tourist destination, with a major part of the plans centring around a 5.5km race track. The diggers rolled into what would become the Yas Marina Circuit in May 2007, with the project completed by October 2009.

When was its first Grand Prix?
In 2009. The track debuted as that year’s Formula 1 season finale, with Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel winning from team mate Mark Webber and the already-crowned 2009 champion Jenson Button. Vettel would go on to secure his first title in Abu Dhabi a year later, amid much crying.

What’s the circuit like?
The Hermann Tilke-designed track is dominated by its 1.2km straight between Turns 5 and 6 – which, with slow-speed corners marking its beginning and end, makes it a honeypot for overtaking moves. Other highlights include the tricky run through Turns 10 and 11 into 12, which forces the drivers to brake hard with bags of lateral load still on the car. Track modifications ahead of the 2021 race, shortening the lap slightly to 5.28km, have only added to its excitement.

2020 highlights
If you want to see what happened last year here are the F1.com highlights. As usul with their stuff you need to watch on youtube.

Other than the track being new, McLaren had a (slightly) different livery for the race. Yes it is another money talks politically grey area as it is to do with Vuse, Vuse is the "Vaping" division of RJ Reynolds, and they are the market leader, claiming to "increase your vaping experience.

So a bit of when is smoking not smoking (given you still inhale and exhale smoke). I dont have an issue with smoking advertising.... I think long gone are the days when people smoke because its cool , and I dont believe seeing an ad is going to make a non smoker to rush out and buy a pack of smokes. Of course this new livery is nothing about the product other than brand association.... it is disguised as supporting young artists.

Smokewashing anyone? :haha:

Anyway the livery.... Given the background of the pics it is difficult to judge the livery. It will be less evident when on track.
Yes it is different but I much preferred the Gulf Oil one off they ran at Monaco. :wink:

TIMES.

Its one of those dusk start events , so not as unsociable in Aus as last weekends all nighter. Europe and US will I guess be in daylight, (P2, Qualy and Race start at midnight Aus Eastern Time)

TYRES.

Words from Pirelli....
WHY WE’VE CHOSEN THE TYRES

The longest-ever Formula 1 season concludes with its 22nd race, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. After two new venues in Qatar and Saudi Arabia, the Yas Marina circuit is a more familiar challenge – although the track has been quite significantly modified this year. Nonetheless, based on simulation and other data, the same tyre compounds have been nominated as in 2020: the C3 as the P Zero White hard, C4 as the P Zero Yellow medium, and C5 as the P Zero Red soft.
The changes to the track, which have been designed to provide more overtaking opportunities, will increase speeds and loads through some corners. However, as the circuit will still be smooth, with average stress on the tyres in terms of wear and degradation, the three softest compounds in the P Zero range remain a suitable choice.

TRACK CHARACTERISTICS

Several changes have been introduced to the circuit layout, which was previously unaltered since its debut in 2009. Early in the lap, the chicane that formed Turns 5 and 6 will be bypassed with a straight. The following hairpin has been brought forward and widened, increasing the speed carried onto the subsequent straight. A long and slightly banked turn has been created to replace the technical complex of corners (Turns 11-14) that existed previously. Near the end of the lap, the four tight corners that route the track around the Yas Marina hotel (Turns 17-20) have all been opened up and made faster.

These changes have shortened the circuit by 273 metres, which means the race distance has been increased from 55 to 58 laps and lap times will fall by an estimated 14 seconds.

As usual, the race will begin just before sunset and run into darkness, with track temperatures falling quite quickly: in turn affecting tyre behaviour. FP2 and qualifying are the only two relevant sessions, with the other two free practices run in the heat of the day.
Last year’s winning strategy, with the same tyre nomination, was a medium to hard one-stopper: the same tactic used by all the top three. Only three drivers stopped more than once, and it was the sixth consecutive time that the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix had been won from pole.
https://press.pirelli.com/2021-abu-dhab ... --preview/

Im not about to go through all the innuendo, threats and potential scenarios. We know there will likely be drama, and it might not all be pretty.

I just hope that we have a sensible race, one not compromised by driving stands, penalties or stuff like that. I dont want to be waiting until after the start of next season whilst the lawyers and courts decide this years winner. I dont want a race decided by mechanical issues, grid penalties or some of the issues we have got used to of late.

Neither of them are Saints. May the best man win.

Oh just a final thing for those in the UK I have read that Channel 4 are negotiating for them to be allowed to broadcast the race live on FTA, so for the likes of @Star who usually wait for the Ch4 highlights, kee an eye on the news . You might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Discuss away.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Easy win for Lewis. Rocket motor plus faster car. Max won't be within a second of him after lap 1.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Oh just a final thing for those in the UK I have read that Channel 4 are negotiating for them to be allowed to broadcast the race live on FTA, so for the likes of @Star who usually wait for the Ch4 highlights, kee an eye on the news . You might be in for a pleasant surprise.
GOOD NEWS *CONFIRMED*
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: Channel 4 to show Formula 1 season finale LIVE

The final race of the Formula 1 season on Sunday will be shown live on free-to-air television on Channel 4.

The channel has struck a deal with Sky to share the rights to the winner-takes-all race between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen in Abu Dhabi.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/59588805

Good news for those in the UK who rely on FTA. Look forward to discussing the race LIVE with you for a change. :thumbsup:

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Easy win for Lewis. Rocket motor plus faster car. Max won't be within a second of him after lap 1.
Seems like the rocket ship wasn't used in Jeddah, so get in there Lewis must be hot fav.

Seen the new aggressive kerbing anyone?
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Thanks for the heads up @Everso Biggyballies. :mates: :oimate:

I am very excited to know I can watch the race live. I wasn't happy at the prospect of having to wait to see it. I'd never have managed to avoid the result!!!

I am a happy camper now, the finale live, yippee!! I will try to be here when it's on too :) :happy: :cool:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Kimi Raikkonen's last race.

One thing I failed to mention and something which will bring great sadness to me. Its not news of course, we have known it was happening for a while, but it will be Kimi Raikkonen's last race as a full time driver, and I suspect the last time he will start a GP.

It has been a long journey of 20 years now since Kimi burst on to the scene as a kid..... I was lucky enough to see Kimi live in that first practice in Albert Park back then, and was one of those who knew he was going to be something special. I have been a fan ever since.

That he ultimately scored a point on debut for Sauber that day (thanks to a time penalty for Panis elevating Kimi from 7th to 6th) the fact remains he scored a point on debut in the days when points were a greater achievement and only paid to the first 6 finishers rather than the way points are now thrown about like confetti. Of the current drivers only Lewis and Vettel achieved points on debut.

His mannerisms, radio comms, non political standing and fairness as a driver have certainly been responsible for my still watching F1, even if his results of recent years with Sauber Alfa have not been what we got used to.

So, a personal thanks to Kimi for the enhancement of F1 that I believe is undeniable.

It would be great to see him finish this race with a nice haul of points.

Just a quick reminder of his achievements of a driver who I believe was better than just a single WDC.

Of course he takes a number of records with him, the most obvious being the greatest number of F1 starts in history. This weekend will be his 353rd start. That is 30 more than the previous record holder Barrichello.

16 teammates
19 seasons (2010 and 2011 he went and did non F1 things, WRC, NASCAR etc
5 constructors
4 engine builders
20 different F1models driven
21 wins (6.02 %) (The winningest Finn, and 15th highest overall. He is still the 8th youngest winner and 13th oldest.)
18 pole positions (5.16 %)
46 fastest laps (13.18 %) (#3 of all time) Only Ascari has scored more consecutive Fastest laps (by 1) He has also twice scored 10 in a year, a record.
103 podiums (29.51 %) 5th overall. 4th highest for 2nd place, 2nd highest 3rd place. No one has more 2nd and 3rd place podiums.

71 retirements (20.34 %) (only 23 crash related DNFs)

1 873 points (4th highest in history.) Only Lewis has scored points in more consecutive races. Scored points with 5 different teams

5.37 pts / GP
98.58 pts / season
1 305 laps led
6 614 km led
18 596 laps raced
92 504 km raced

He also has the longest span of first to last wins in F1 history.... from the first win at Malaysia 2003 to his final win at USA 2018, 15 years and 6 months apart.

Of the current drivers only Vettel and Alonso can match his wins with 3 different constructors. Only 2 other current drivers (Danny Ric and Alonso) have won races with 3 engine manufacturers.

A couple of obscure Ferrari stats..... More races for Ferrari than any other driver (208) More points for Ferrari than any other.

Actually, thinking about it should we have a Kimi tribute threat / favourite moments? (Or am I just being an over the top fanboi?) :haha: :suspicious:

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Star wrote: 2 years ago Thanks for the heads up @Everso Biggyballies. :mates: :oimate:

I am very excited to know I can watch the race live. I wasn't happy at the prospect of having to wait to see it. I'd never have managed to avoid the result!!!

I am a happy camper now, the finale live, yippee!! I will try to be here when it's on too :) :happy: :cool:
Why spoil it? :haha:
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Who are the 3 engine manufacturers that Danny Ric has won with?

Surely only Renault and Mercedes, unless you're counting Tag Heuer?
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Easy win for Lewis. Rocket motor plus faster car. Max won't be within a second of him after lap 1.
If true, this is precisely why Max is likely to nerf him off the road. Why let Lewis drive off into the sunset..?

If he doesn't have the pace he'll do whatever he can to take him out.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
If true, this is precisely why Max is likely to nerf him off the road. Why let Lewis drive off into the sunset..?

Yes, where Lewis was smart is that he took Max out at Silverstone where it doesn't feel like it has the magnitude that Max doing it in return would have in the finale.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago

Yes, where Lewis was smart is that he took Max out at Silverstone where it doesn't feel like it has the magnitude that Max doing it in return would have in the finale.
RELEASE THE PIQU---PEREZ!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Who are the 3 engine manufacturers that Danny Ric has won with?

Surely only Renault and Mercedes, unless you're counting Tag Heuer?
Yes Tag Heuer.

Whether we like it or not Tag Heuer are classified officially as an engine manufacturer, credited with providing engines to Red Bull for Max and Danny for 62 races from 2016-2018, winning 9 of them. Oh forgot (Kvyat ran in 3 of those races, not Max) They are listed as the engine constructor on the entry lists

None of those races come up as credited to Renault engines. Even though the engines provided to sister team STR (as they were then) were made in the same factory but were called and labelled Renault.

A bit like Supertec in 1999/2000 which were also Renault with different badges on. As were Playlife. Of course we are not talking of race winners there. Were they not Briatore 'owned' brands? Or was Playlife something to do with Mr Benetton?

Or Petronas engines used in the Saubers during the late 90's which were manufactured by Ferrari. Talking of Sauber the Sauber labelled engines they used in 1993 were Illmors.

I always thought the Megatron engines from the 1980s were made by BMW but may have that wrong.

(Also ironically Perez win in Sakhir 2020 is technically/officially not credited as a Mercedes engine win per se... Officially that engine was a BWT Mercedes. I never realised that until I looked at the entry list. )

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Abu Dhabi GP extends race deal until 2030

Abu Dhabi will be the final race of the Formula 1 season for another decade after the country signed a new contract to host a grand prix.

The Yas Marina Circuit, which hosted its first grand prix in 2009, has secured a race until 2030.

Just got to hope these track mods hel it not to be the borefest it has been to date. :roll:

Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago

Absolutely right, which is why I think Max needs to, as best as possible, recreate the Silverstone incident in reverse. I'm thinking T1 or the new banked corner, go in on the inside, miss the apex slightly, and clip the left rear.

The more similarity between the incidents, the better. It'll make it harder for then to rule harshly (point deduction, disqualification, etc) against Max.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This warning from Masi might turn out to be interesting. I only hope it does not come to the threats he makes.....

Masi warns F1 title rivals of possible points deduction in Abu Dhabi

Michael Masi has reminded teams and drivers that any unsporting conduct at the Abu Dhabi season finale could result in a championship points deduction.

In a clear warning shot to both teams to ensure that nothing untoward happens, Masi has made it clear that the FIA will not tolerate any behaviour that it thinks is unfair.

In his regular event notes that are sent to all competitors ahead of the race weekend, Masi pulled out specific clauses of the FIA’s International Sporting Code that he wanted to remind teams about.

In particular he cited ISC rules relating to the behaviour of all team members, sporting conduct and the potential scope for punishments.....

Specifically:
Article 9.15.1

“The competitor shall be responsible for all acts or omissions on the part of any person taking part in, or providing a service in connection with, a competition or a championship on their behalf, including in particular their employees, direct or indirect, their drivers, mechanics, consultants, service providers, or passengers, as well as any person to whom the competitor has allowed access to the Reserved Areas.”

Article 12.2.1 – Breach of Rules and in particular Article 12.2.1.l

“Any infringement of the principles of fairness in competition, behaviour in an unsportsmanlike manner or attempt to influence the result of a competition in a way that is contrary to sporting ethics.”

Article 12.4.5

“For all the FIA championships, cups, challenges, trophies or series, the stewards may also decide to impose the following penalties: Suspension for one or more competitions, withdrawal of points for the championship, cup, challenge, trophy, series.”

Article 12.4.5.a

“Points should not be deducted separately from drivers and competitors, save in exceptional circumstances.”
The inference of Masi’s note to teams is that the FIA will be keeping a close eye on anything that it considers unsportsmanlike, and that any punishment handed down would likely affect both the drivers’ and constructors’ standings.

The one point made that is perhaps critical is the fact that it is only exceptional cases where points can be deducted.
Mind you I guess a Monza reeat where Max was deemed predominantly at fault was to happen this weekend rather than it winning Max the title even a single point penalty will reverse where the Trophy ends up.

Just hope it does not end up that way.