Andretti looking at F1 Team *New Team application made*

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago I would love to see an Andretti backed team in F1.
However, given that I now don't really trust the rumor mill, I am waiting to see how this all pans out.

I would imagine that they are trying to seduce erm... secure an experienced driver to pair with a young US driver to ensure home support.
Hehehe now who do they know or have a contract with that might fit the F1 experienced driver bill, and a good following in the US...... RoGro :haha: :haha:
But im with you in terms of the sit back and wait for the fact to separate from the rumours. I seriously think they have rocks in their head if they go the set up from scratch route. Haas is the only one in the last 20 years (including Toyota!) that has done that and is still around..... and then only by the skin of their teeth, having to run the team on pay drivers, zero development and deep personal pockets to get through 2021. Gene Haas has the advantage of a huge business to justify the tens millions in sponsorship he tips in each year. (I was reading that Haas Automation (CNC Machine Tools) is the largest Machine Tool builder in the Western World)

The doomed USF1 project comes to mind when I think of Andretti starting from scratch.... but that might be a bit unkind. :dunno:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I don’t want Haas to sell. We need 22 cars on the bloody grid. It’s been a long while. I’m amazed how Michael wants to submit an application while there are still hybrid engines with complex components and so much else to learn.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Picci wrote: 2 years ago I don’t want Haas to sell. We need 22 cars on the bloody grid. It’s been a long while. I’m amazed how Michael wants to submit an application while there are still hybrid engines with complex components and so much else to learn.
I dont think Haas is for sale.... Michael admitted he has asked Gene Haas several times about buying the team to be firmly told to bugger off and not to keep asking as it was irritating.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Saw the interview with Mario Andretti yesterday. He said that the Andretti team has the budget (100%) and has an engine (100% also). They are ready to enter in 2024. The only thing they need is approval from FIA (meaning the other 10 racing teams, which I think is gross bastardization of the sporting process).

Now, Mario Andretti is not a marketing guy, he is a pretty straight shooter. So, I have my biases, but if he is saying they have the budget and the engine (I assume Renault), then they probably have it. Ready by 2024? That would be very cool and something I would look forward to. Been a fan of Michael Andretti since I first saw him race Formula Ford at Summit Point, West Virginia, back in 1981.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Saw the interview with Mario Andretti yesterday. He said that the Andretti team has the budget (100%) and has an engine (100% also). They are ready to enter in 2024. The only thing they need is approval from FIA (meaning the other 10 racing teams, which I think is gross bastardization of the sporting process).

Now, Mario Andretti is not a marketing guy, he is a pretty straight shooter. So, I have my biases, but if he is saying they have the budget and the engine (I assume Renault), then they probably have it. Ready by 2024? That would be very cool and something I would look forward to. Been a fan of Michael Andretti since I first saw him race Formula Ford at Summit Point, West Virginia, back in 1981.
Plus, Michael has been more successful as a team owner/manager than he was as a racer. Mario also if you only count from 1980 forward to today. :haha: So they have some serious potential. Hopefully something good comes out and this is not just the latest USF1.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hehehe and dont forget Mario Andretti will be driving a McLaren F1 car at COTA > Zak Brown and Mario shook hands on it on Global TV over the weekend.
OK maybe should say its only a PR stunt / demo and not actually in the GP, :wink: (before anyone starts posting headlines of
STOP PRESS MARIO ANDRETTI REPLACES DANNY RIC AT McLAREN FOR COTA!)
:haha:

Who said Mario, even at 82 will still be quicker in a McLaren F1 than Michael ever was..... :suspicious: :whistling: :wink:

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago Plus, Michael has been more successful as a team owner/manager than he was as a racer.
Don't underrate Michael as a driver, he did win 42 Indy car races, which puts his 4th on the all-time champ car win list after A.J. Foyt (67), his father (52) and Scott Dixon (51). He was the winningest driver in CART (1979-2003) by a long shot (42 vs 29 by Al Unser Jr.).
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

I am puzzled over the team's finances. What is Andretti hoping to get out of racing in the F1? Someone said the other day (I think it was VAG), that these days a team cannot make any money from racing in this series. Automakers therefore allocate budget for F1 as promotional business expenses for their products with understanding, there could be no income at all end of the season. After operating cost of some 150+ MM (plus initial expenses), what is the income stream for Andretti?
We Are Addicted to a Sense of Crisis.
Rory Stewart
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago Plus, Michael has been more successful as a team owner/manager than he was as a racer.
Don't underrate Michael as a driver, he did win 42 Indy car races, which puts his 4th on the all-time champ car win list after A.J. Foyt (67), his father (52) and Scott Dixon (51). He was the winningest driver in CART (1979-2003) by a long shot (42 vs 29 by Al Unser Jr.).
Interesting...
I've never actually looked at his stats. Just made some assumptions based on his single championship and failed F1 career. Did not know he had that many wins. Just unlucky over the course of several seasons?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Aty wrote: 2 years ago I am puzzled over the team's finances. What is Andretti hoping to get out of racing in the F1? Someone said the other day (I think it was VAG), that these days a team cannot make any money from racing in this series. Automakers therefore allocate budget for F1 as promotional business expenses for their products with understanding, there could be no income at all end of the season. After operating cost of some 150+ MM (plus initial expenses), what is the income stream for Andretti?
On the other hand I keep hearing that being in F1 turns a profit now, especially viewed in light of the increasing budget cap. It occurs to me VAG saying that is more them trying to get in at the low end of the price range cause they know that the prices will go up if the return of running an F1 teams are actually in the black in the foresable future. Because there are only 26, read 3 teams left on the grid and for some reason sending teams home isn't a la mode these days.

The way I figure this, the FIA/FOM rather wants a manufacturer or three in these 3 slots rather than a privateer, because a manufacturer is likely to spend more marketing money than a privateer. Marketing money being a thing that isn't restricted by the budget cap.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I think the interest of Andretti in F1 is quite a lot to do with money..... Now is an excellent time to be an American (team) looking to set up. The reasons are largely due to the budget cap putting a ceiling on running costs. With America just look at the sudden explosion of interest in F1 there after several decades of it being seen as a bit 'oh really'. Look at the hype surrounding last weekend. The increase in the profile of F1 in the US has been mammoth since the arrival of Drive to Survive.

Yes its an expensive entry and setup, but with investors behind (as Andretti have indicated they have... its not all their money behind this proposal this proposal). That and sponsors to fund much of the running costs and the returns from F1 / Liberty for TV money and all the trimmings they work for.

I was surprised over the weekend that despite the losses made by F1 during the early and peak days of Covid, the cancelled races and hastily organised non paying venues (it was better for Liberty to just have events running even if it cost them money to put them on due to the risk of breaching broadcast minimum race numbers and the loss of TV income.

They are now back to making big money... so much so that the market valuation of F1 that Liberty paid 3.3 billion for a few years ago is now c 10 billion. F1 is in a huge growth due to the new platforms, Drive to Survive, the value of the TV broadcasts, the increase in hosting fees. They made something like $30 million clear profit in the first quarter this year. Much of the growth in F1 has been in the US market.

Its a good time for a new US team especially one with a US driver. Getting in now is seen as getting in on the bottom rung with team valuations escalating. Look at McLaren..... 2 years ago in deep shit and now in a position to knock back $500 million offers from Audi.... for a team that now has no factory of their own (the McLaren Factory was sold and they now lease it back from the new owners.

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

XcraigX wrote: 2 years ago
Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
Interesting...
I've never actually looked at his stats. Just made some assumptions based on his single championship and failed F1 career. Did not know he had that many wins. Just unlucky over the course of several seasons?
Combination of "Andretti luck" and their driving styles. They go for the wins. Michael very much drove like his old man. Keep in mind, he was also racing against a lot savvy drivers, Fittipaldi, Unser Jr. and Sr., Mears, Rahal, Rutherford, Sneva, Johncock, etc. The CART series really was a great series with lots of old savvy drivers racing these kids. It is shame that Tony George managed to kill it off (with support from Ecclestone).

Here is a list of CART winners: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... d73f93bcc8
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago I think the interest of Andretti in F1 is quite a lot to do with money..... Now is an excellent time to be an American (team) looking to set up. The reasons are largely due to the budget cap putting a ceiling on running costs. With America just look at the sudden explosion of interest in F1 there after several decades of it being seen as a bit 'oh really'. Look at the hype surrounding last weekend. The increase in the profile of F1 in the US has been mammoth since the arrival of Drive to Survive.

Yes its an expensive entry and setup, but with investors behind (as Andretti have indicated they have... its not all their money behind this proposal this proposal). That and sponsors to fund much of the running costs and the returns from F1 / Liberty for TV money and all the trimmings they work for.

I was surprised over the weekend that despite the losses made by F1 during the early and peak days of Covid, the cancelled races and hastily organised non paying venues (it was better for Liberty to just have events running even if it cost them money to put them on due to the risk of breaching broadcast minimum race numbers and the loss of TV income.

They are now back to making big money... so much so that the market valuation of F1 that Liberty paid 3.3 billion for a few years ago is now c 10 billion. F1 is in a huge growth due to the new platforms, Drive to Survive, the value of the TV broadcasts, the increase in hosting fees. They made something like $30 million clear profit in the first quarter this year. Much of the growth in F1 has been in the US market.

Its a good time for a new US team especially one with a US driver. Getting in now is seen as getting in on the bottom rung with team valuations escalating. Look at McLaren..... 2 years ago in deep shit and now in a position to knock back $500 million offers from Audi.... for a team that now has no factory of their own (the McLaren Factory was sold and they now lease it back from the new owners.
Rosy picture you paint, EB. Problem is, unless someone is prepared to pay for so call demanded "value", and prove it with money on the table, then valuation is nothing more than a bubble in someone's head. I am not a finance man, however I can look back into history, and I do read a few individuals who do understand finances, and term "overvalued market" appears quite often. Maybe Andretti can purchase Stroll's team, who wants allegedly out of paradise that the F1 suddenly become. Go and figure. Anyhoo, I wish them well.
Rory Stewart
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Well, the news feed is reporting that: "To bolster the bid, Andretti went around to all ten team principals in Miami asking them to sign a document that would be presented to F1's authorities.

According to rumours, only about half of them signed on."

It makes you wonder who signed on and who did not. From their comments, I am guessing that McLaren did. I am guessing that Haas did not.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

A different rumor identifies only two teams which signed the petition. Renault and McLaren.
Rory Stewart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Red Bull I believe were anti it.... the anti brigade are worried that the (same amount of) money would have to go 11 ways instead of 10.