Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cheeveer wrote: 1 year ago The pay is important, yes. His contract with CGR, including the option I guess, was written when he was a nobody. And he'd like to earn some "real" money to care for his family in Spain.
This announcement does not specify where Palou will compete in 2023, nor does the main body of the text even mention the "Arrow McLaren SP" Indy car team. Been retweeted by the Indycar team though, saying "Welcome to the McLaren Racing family,
@AlexPalou".
You'd imagine that the Chipster would have made moves to appease him though.

Clearly it wasn't enough, and fair enough.

But far out there are some ultra crossed wires, and the sound you hear is bridges burning.

I'm just waiting for CGR to release a recording from their PR person who had a recording of something approaching the quote from the release :P... And emails from Palou approving the draft release :rofl:.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

This is a mess and I've got my popcorn ready.

Of course Chip wouldn't announce that they've exercised the option unless they had, in fact, done so. And I doubt Palous contract would have an out-clause that would let him switch to a rival Indycar team whilst breaking his CGR contract. But if Palou wants to go to F1 (which almost everyone does), would FE realistically bring him closer to that goal? I doubt it.

There will be fireworks here and I'm still not sure what angle everyone is playing here.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Totally irrelevant thing I just read that has to be related to the Indycar driver market ..... and not as they erroneously suggest, the "global supply chain". :suspicious: :whistling:

Shoppers face shortage of beer and popcorn . :haha: :haha: Yikes.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

John wrote: 1 year ago This is a mess and I've got my popcorn ready.

Of course Chip wouldn't announce that they've exercised the option unless they had, in fact, done so. And I doubt Palous contract would have an out-clause that would let him switch to a rival Indycar team whilst breaking his CGR contract. But if Palou wants to go to F1 (which almost everyone does), would FE realistically bring him closer to that goal? I doubt it.

There will be fireworks here and I'm still not sure what angle everyone is playing here.
As Marshall puts it: a disgruntled employee, even if that employee is a champion, is not a good employee. This mess will mostly likely cause CGR to get paid a bit more by McLaren. Palou's mind seems set at least.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Cheeveer wrote: 1 year ago

As Marshall puts it: a disgruntled employee, even if that employee is a champion, is not a good employee. This mess will mostly likely cause CGR to get paid a bit more by McLaren. Palou's mind seems set at least.
Yep, that could well be it. CGR exercising the option as a bargaining tool.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

John wrote: 1 year ago

Well, that was the Hartley STR story after all.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
John wrote: 1 year ago

Well, that was the Hartley STR story after all.
Plus Chip and Zac aren’t exactly buddies either.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

At last - the moment we've all been waiting for.

Indycar news involving ... The People's Sting Ray (Robb).
Andretti Indy Lights race winner Christian Rasmussen and teammate Sting Ray Robb split their first day in an Indy car on Tuesday, with Robb taking the morning at Mid-Ohio and Rasmussen climbing in for the afternoon.

Using the No. 98 Andretti Honda for the task, the American turned 62 laps and before handing over to the Dane who completed 56. Both lapped in the 1m08s range; pole for the July 3 race was a 1m06.7s lap set by Pato O’Ward on Firestone’s faster alternate tires.
https://racer.com/2022/07/13/rasmussen- ... ng-debuts/

Okay, okay. It's not Indycar contract news.

But one step at a time.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Will Power has obviously stocked up on popcorn and is keenly following the show re Palou.

He also says it is good Paddock Action and good for the series. He also said the showdown had been festering for months.... actually he had quite a lot to say. Nothing new there. :wink: I do agree with him however that it will all come down to the exact wording in the contracts.

It seems both sides are still claiming him as theirs. Does CGR really want Palou there next year against his wishes? If there has been some 'personal breakdown' between them it isnt conducive for maximising effort. Awkward is a word that comes to mind. Or is it just $$$ and promises from the Macca side that has catalysed all this carry on.. :idunno: I think surely Chipster doesnt want an awkward relationship going into next year.... this I have the contract in place is surely just a ploy to get Zak to dig deep and officially buy Palou out of CGR.

#lawyersarewinners. :wink:

Anyway back to what Wilbur had to say....
“I’ve heard rumours around the paddock of exactly what’s transpiring right now,” he said.

“Yeah, it’s kind of good for the series, really, to have a bit of action in the paddock.

“Obviously I don’t know the details of everything that has gone on there [but] it’s going to be interesting to see how that whole thing plays out.”

In fact, Power suggested that the drama has been festering for months.

“Well, I think that’s been a distraction all year for those guys because this whole thing has been going on behind the scenes,” he opined.

“Yeah, not ideal if you’re fighting for a championship within a team, definitely not ideal.”

“It can make some drivers perform better and some perform worse,” commented Power.

“Yeah, some need that sort of pressure to bring the best out of them, and some don’t do well under those situations.

“Ideally, I think you want everything settled and you want pretty good vibes in the team, but it totally depends on the individual.”

Either way, the 41-year-old who debuted in Champ Car in late-2005 and has been part of IndyCar since the merger in 2008 says he has not seen something like the Palou contract wrangle before in the category.

“I have not seen this in IndyCar,” confirmed Power, who has been a Penske driver since 2009.

“I mean, this sort of thing goes on obviously all the time [in] various businesses.

“It’s just one of those things where it’s going to come down to the wording in the contract, simply.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/07/14/pa ... ays-power/

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

I assume one thing to come out of this will be Palou's chances of retaining the title take a nasty hit. I won't be surprised if he "suddenly" suffers from slow pitstops / questionable strategy calls / engine failure due to excessive mileage :whistling:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Vassago wrote: 1 year ago I assume one thing to come out of this will be Palou's chances of retaining the title take a nasty hit. I won't be surprised if he "suddenly" suffers from slow pitstops / questionable strategy calls / engine failure due to excessive mileage :whistling:
.... I think his championship will take a bigger hit because he will I reckon be parked after Toronto. Maybe one of Kanaan or Bourdais, both on CGR books and also RHR with a link.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Palou evasive on future amid contract wrangle

Strange that the guy who was so full of words on Social Media and chat about splitting from CGR and joining McLaren, and where he was going next year, driving for for the rest of the year etc. has suddenly gone all shy about talking about the issue beyond saying that he had nothing to add to what he has said but wont repeat what he said himself......

Sounds a bit like a case of "I have been told to STFU by lawyers as it is now a legal matter out of my hands". I have said too much already....

Palou did however say say he had since indeed spoken to Chip Ganassi suggesting “We both understand each other.” :haha:
“I understand this is something you guys are super interested in – I would do the same if I was in your position – but I have nothing else to add to what I said, I’m not going to tell more about what I said already."

“We’re here, we’re in Toronto, and we’re fighting for a championship together, and we’re going to try to do the best we can to try to win it.”

However, he was tight-lipped when asked why he would want to leave a team that can give him such a competitive package already, although the McLaren deal would include Formula 1 testing and, potentially, racing in the squad’s other programmes.

“I do not intend to comment on my intentions,”

“I don’t intend to comment on my contract status,” but was apparently more open with his thoughts about how or when the drama will be resolved, even if he was not able to provide much clarity on that aspect of the saga either.

“Honestly, I have no idea,” he remarked.

“I mean, I have never been in this position, so I have no idea.

“I know that Chip Ganassi, everyone that is around me and myself, we’re all professionals, we want the same thing, which is to win. That’s it. Period.”

CGR driver Scott Dixon was quite amusing suggest life atm in the CGR garage was awkward!.... :haha:
“For sure there’s some awkwardness,” said Dixon
“If you were going to have an example of how not to go about things, this is 100 percent how you would do it.

acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Interesting..

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

I'd say he's had a rather poor week.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Anyway, this (maybe) Robot Social Media thingy who calls himself Scott McLaughlin is playing up his chances of a win in Toronto..... :dunno: (re the previous post on social media quirks which, well I dont subscribe to social media so its beyond me. Although I read stuff) :suspicious: :whistling:

But yeah, Scott is confident he can win the Toronto IndyCar race after qualifying sixth.

He was one of two Team Penske drivers to make the Fast Six, an effort which he hailed as “awesome” given his inexperience (rookie status / never seen the place before) at the Exhibition Place circuit.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/07/17/mc ... dycar-win/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Palou may not race in 2023

Not sure how much of this is stuff from Felix's Christmas list but he seems to think h might still be running a McLaren / SPAM in Indycar next year, with suggestions Palou might not race at all next year due to his confused contractual situation and the outcome set to be decided in the Courtrooms.

Following the Toronto IndyCar race, Rosenqvist suggested what many observers within IndyCar circles believe to be true: that the looming contract dispute between Palou’s two potential suitors will not be resolved quickly or painlessly.

“I don’t know what’s going on there,” FR admitted. “At the moment it doesn’t sound like Alex is going to race at all.

“It’s up to lawyers and stuff. Honestly, it’s not my business at all. I think it hasn’t really changed anything. This whole deal went down months ago. I didn’t know all the details of it that I know now, but nothing has actually changed.”

So thats Pato and Rossi sorted we know that, but maybe Felix wont be destined to return to racing milk floats after all. He, along with Palou both have these non specific contracts outline their actual roles within the McLaren Group are not formalised. Obviously the plan for Palou was Indycar with the occasional play in F1 cars which would have had Felix going electric, but maybe that is all still a state of flux. Felix says he is settled in Indycar, has upped his act and thats where he wants to be.
Felix wrote:“I’ve made my point that I’m very happy with the team. I think we worked hard the last two years to kind of build up a very strong team. We have good strategy, good pit stops. I think I’m able to extract the most out of the car most weekends now."

“I think if you asked me at the end of last year, obviously it would have been a different answer. But right now, I’m just very happy where I’m at. I think I would be crazy if I said I wanted to go somewhere else. I want to be where I’m at right now.”

He admitted that his IndyCar future rests in the hands of Zak Brown. “He’s the man who is making the moves. It’s probably going to take a couple weeks before we know more. Hopefully Toronto changed something. My ambition is to keep proving it that way.

“I think if Zak was sure I was going to FE, he would have already said it. I’m going to take that chance. If there’s a chance for me to be here next year, I’m going to try to prove I can do that.”
Seems like this one isnt going to be sorted quickly, and unfortunately Felix's (Indycar) future seems to be potentially in the hands of Chip and Zak's lawyers and a judge. In the meantime a few more podiums wont do him any harm.

Could we even get a situation where the judge says Palou legally is tied to CGR as far as Indycar is concerned, and cant drive for SPAM in 2023. I cant see if that was to happen that Palou would be parked in a McLaren FE. That would be when Zak would get his chequebook out and buy out Palou's contract from Chip. Chip wont run Palou even if he wins the legal right to.

Maybe (likely?) it wont even go to court and Zak will just drop a sack of cash on Chip's desk one day.

Lets get really hypothetical and could Felix be part of the deal? Chip needs someone with some runs on the board and I cant think who is free at year end atm :idunno:

Maybe I have had too many coffees today!

Just as we put the popcorn away its back out again.....