We're Going To Spa! 2021 Belgian GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

We're Going To Spa! 2021 Belgian GP

Post by Star »

Okay, confession time, I saw we didn't have a thread for this race and although I originally wrote this for somewhere else, it still holds true and I thought I'd put it up here. I hope you don't mind :blush: :

If you say the word Spa to most women, the vast majority would probably think of a luxury place where they can get a massage, facial, manicure and pedicure or any number of other beauty treatments. Not me though, for me if you say the word Spa my eyes light up and I think of probably the best race track on the current F1 calendar. This is a track where over the years we've had a lot of exciting races full of thrills a spills. A track which if you ask the drivers to name their favourite circuits, it will most likely be in the top three they come up with. A drivers track, a track with history and a classic that seems to mean more when you finish first. Congratulations you’ve just won Spa!!

Spa has always been a challenge but even in the years I’ve been watching F1 it’s been sanitised to some degree. The Bus Stop when you almost used to stop and indicate to turn off onto a small side road before rejoining the track was always something I enjoyed, that is long since gone. Thankfully Eau Rogue is still something of a challenge but even that is perhaps not quite what it used to be. Most drivers will tell you that it’s still a hell of a corner but often these days they take it flat. Yet think back a few years and most people would look at you like you needed your head testing is you even suggested such a thing.

In 1998 Jacques Villeneuve tried taking Eau Rouge flat and crashed his Williams Mecachrome spectacularly, nothing that remarkable there, a lot of people have done so over the years. It was a pretty heavy crash but he was quickly out of the car and back to the pits again. Did he learn from it though? Did he hell?

Fast forward to 1999 and Jacques is with BAR, his team mate is a young Ricardo Zonta and the two drivers got talking. Apparently they came up with a bet or dare, call it what you will and the fans who watched qualifying that year were in for a sight they wouldn’t forget, I was one of them. As a Jacques Villneueve fan I was on the edge of my seat as he set off, I recalled all too clearly what had happened the year before.

Apparently Villeneuve dared Zonta to take Eau Rouge flat. As I say, these days it seems unremarkable, back then it almost seemed like a death wish. Villeneuve went out first and attempted to take the corner flat, just as he’d said. Much as in 1998 he tried and failed. His crash was worse than 1998, he was heard to comment afterwards ‘at least I rolled it’. His younger and much less experienced team mate then went out. Even after seeing what had happened to Villeneuve, Zonta stuck to his word and he too attempted to take the corner flat, his crash was even worse than Villeneuve’s. I do recall the look of total disbelief on Craig Pollock’s face at what his two drivers had done to his teams' cars. Both drivers thankfully walked away from their wrecked cars and a lesson was learnt, no, you couldn’t take Eau Rouge flat at that time, but it hadn’t stop them trying. You have to wonder why they tried it in the first place, bravado? Stupidity? That need to be on 'the edge' as Jacques himself used to say? The thrill of pushing man and car to the limit? It could be any or a combination of all of these things, I just remember it was both exciting and yet horrifying to watch them try it at the time.

Spa is also subject to the weather effect, catch your pitstop just right as it begins to rain and you’re a hero, miss that pit entry just as the heavens open and the likelihood is your race is ruined, mostly just due to the length of the track as it's the longest on the current calendar. By the time you've tiptoed all that way back around to the pits again, it's probably too late to save your race. That is part of the joy and agony of the Spa-Francorchamps circuit and what makes it still one of the races in the season that I, and most likely a lot of you, most look forward to, probably a lot of the drivers do too. It always offers up the chance of a brilliant race and thankfully it still sometimes produces one too.

Recent winners:
2010 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2011 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
2013 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2014 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
2015 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2016 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2017 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2018 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
2019 Charles Leclerc Ferrari
2020 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Kimi Raikkonen and Lewis Hamilton have both won here 4 times, Sebastian Vettel 3 times. The highest multiple winner os Michael Schumacher with 6 times.

In case you don't know, the race takes place over 44 laps of the 7.004-kilometre circuit.

In 2020, your pole sitter was Hamilton and the podium was 1st Hamilton, 2nd Bottas, 3rd Verstappen.

I thank you if you've bothered to read this far :bow: :thumbsup:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Any Mongols???
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago Any Mongols???
Oddly enough no, they'd all gone on their holidays. Well, it is the time of year for it :whistling: :haha:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Star wrote: 2 years ago Okay, confession time, I saw we didn't have a thread for this race and although I originally wrote this for somewhere else, it still holds true and I thought I'd put it up here. I hope you don't mind :blush: :
Not a problem. I must admit I only today had the penny drop that we were back in business this weekend... the break seems to have flown by.
Bottom line thanks a lot for posting it.
Certainly Spa is always a race I look forward to.... it always captivates me and is a circuit where at least passing is possible, and we have seen some memorable passing moves over the years..

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

No problem @Everso Biggyballies. I know you usually do them lately but I thought I'd save you a job :)

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

So nobody gets lost, here is a map

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Thought Bruxelles was Rivage and Stavelot was replaced by the name Paul Frère.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Just to confuse matters here is another orientation of the track ma, with the DRS zones marked.

A bit more info

Spa-Francorchamps

When was the track built?

The original, triangle-shaped track was built in 1921, with designers Jules de Thier and Henri Langlois van Ophem using public roads between the towns of Francorchamps, Malmedy, and Stavelot to create an amazing 14.9km circuit taking in the forests and rolling hills of the beautiful Ardennes region. The track was redeveloped in 1979, and although the new circuit is only half the original's length, it’s still the longest on the current calendar at 7.004km.

When was its first Grand Prix?
Having hosted a non-championship Grand Prix as long ago as 1924, Belgium’s iconic circuit was one of just seven to be part of Formula 1’s maiden championship in 1950. That race was won by the legendary Juan Manuel Fangio, who led home an Alfa Romeo one-two ahead of team mate Nino Farina.

What’s the circuit like?
Spa is among Formula 1 drivers’ most loved tracks, with its mix of long straights and challenging fast corners allowing them to push their cars to the edge of their capabilities – if it’s dry, that is. The size of the track and the nature of Belgian weather means it can sometimes be raining on one part of the track and dry on another, meaning grip can vary from one corner to the next. Keep an eye on the thrilling Eau Rouge, arguably the most famous sequence of corners in the world, as the drivers flick left, right and then up the hill through Raidillon.

Some words from Pirelli re the tyres for the weekend.

WHY WE’VE CHOSEN THE TYRES

Formula 1 is back after its summer break with compounds in the middle of the range for the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps: the first race of the second triple-header of the 2021 season. In Belgium, the C2 will be the P Zero White hard, the C3 will be the P Zero Yellow medium, and the C4 will be the P Zero Red soft.
This is the same nomination as last year, which was a step softer than the tyres nominated back in 2019.
Spa, well-known as one of the most exciting tracks on the calendar, contains a wide range of different demands over the longest lap of the season.

TRACK CHARACTERISTICS

Spa – located in the foothills of the Ardennes – is of course synonymous with changeable weather, which can also vary on different parts of the circuit. Although last year’s race was dry, there’s always a high chance of the Cinturato wet-weather tyres making an appearance at some point over the weekend.

The forces put through the tyres at the Belgian Grand Prix are high, especially at the famous Eau Rouge-Raidillon complex, where the tyres are subjected to a fierce compression and heavy g forces over one of the fastest parts of the track.
The Kemmel Straight at nearly 800 metres long, has the effect of cooling the tyres down, which affects grip through the following corners. In fact, from the exit of La Source all the way to Les Combes (which follows the Kemmel Straight) is a distance of just over two kilometres without any braking.

Last year’s Belgian Grand Prix was won with a one-stop medium-hard strategy: the same tactic selected by all three podium finishers. They switched during a lengthy safety car period from lap 11 that heavily influenced the strategy, with all but two drivers stopping under the safety car.

MIN. STARTING PRESSURES (slicks) EOS CAMBER LIMIT
PRESSURE 24.0 psi (front) | 22.0 psi (rear) -2.75° (front) | -1.50 ° (rear) CAMBER

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Favourite?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

A stunning era and I am so glad to have lived through it.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago Thought Bruxelles was Rivage and Stavelot was replaced by the name Paul Frère.
Dont know, been a while since I looked at Spa. Maybe they changed the names around, I'll have a look whenever I add the RX track.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago
erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago Thought Bruxelles was Rivage and Stavelot was replaced by the name Paul Frère.
Dont know, been a while since I looked at Spa. Maybe they changed the names around, I'll have a look whenever I add the RX track.
Seconded regarding rivage, that's how I've always known it
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Image

Favourite?
Is this your photos?
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Image

Favourite?
Bless him, good old Riccardo Zonta in that dogs dinner of a car by BAR, of he course he was the meat in the infamous Schumacher, Hakkinen pass, also at Spa back in 2000. It's a great track ;)

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago
Michkov wrote: 2 years ago
Seconded regarding rivage, that's how I've always known it
No, Rivage has always been the left-hander after the Bruxelles corner.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.